Silver Ticket Screen? - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 207Likes

post #451 of 1705 Old 10-10-2015, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4883 Post(s)
Liked: 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmi2002 View Post
Got a response from silver ticket. They said they have a had a small bad batch of 150" inch screens that were cut too short and they would replace mine.
Just wondering if you have received the replacement screen material, and whether that solved the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1705 Old 10-10-2015, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I haven't seen much feedback from ST owners of acoustically transparent screens here, so I thought I would share my experience.

I ordered my 120" AT screen from Amazon on Sept 24th and received it, and installed it, on September 30th. Except for some stubborn minor puckering of the seam on the bottom of the screen, no problems. It's been about 10 days with no change in the puckering, even after the hair dryer fix the website recommends. (The hair dryer worked on the other wrinkles, though.) Looks like the heat-sealed seam just had the pucker in it when it was sealed together. Just in two places on one edge (the bottom), but nowhere else. I'll give it another week and reach out to ST if it doesn't go away.

I replaced a Draper (now Accuscreens) 106" AT screen with the ST 120", (the old screen, the Draper/Accuscreens one, is for sale in the Classifieds section, BTW) and the PQ seems to be basically the same. The 'old' screen had basically no texture and comparable gain, and to my eyes the ST screen looks the same, only bigger.

For those interested, the gain of the ST screen seems visibly to be the same as a sample of Seymour's XD fabric. (I compared the sample to the ST screen on a white section while the PJ was on. Neither fabric was brighter than the other. The ST screen has less texture/pattern to it, though. Seymour's UD fabric had visibly less gain when tested the same way. Much less texture in the UD than either the ST screen or XD fabric.

A couple days after I installed the ST screen I wrote a review on Amazon. Here it is, for those interested.

This is my third acoustically transparent screen...the last was a Draper AT1200 106" screen. I wanted to go bigger because my new JVC RS46u can throw a bright enough picture in 3D to make this possible. I've been a home theater fan for many years, and have owned a dedicated theater for well over a decade. Since the days of Laserdiscs, CRT projectors, and Dolby Surround. (You might find me on AVSForum, Emotiva Lounge, or the Polk Audio Forum as "rtart.")

As part of my constant upgrade path, I did a lot of reading online before pulling the trigger on the ST screen reviewed here so had no surprises about the assembly instructions (or lack thereof). Watching the YouTube video makes it all clear, and a little mechanical inclination makes it fairly easy to put together and mount. The biggest issue with screens is their shipping size and cost...a ten foot long box is going to cost to ship. ST makes this screen frame in sections, so the longer (top and bottom) frame sections have to be connected somehow. ST manages this issue well, with a very sturdy connector between the two sections. The frame side sections are one piece, so no middle connection is necessary. Corners go together with reinforcing brackets and screws, and are very sturdy. After joining the top and bottom halves, put the corner brackets on the top and bottom first, then connect the frame sides.

I recommend adding the hanging brackets at this point, and figure out how you are going to mount the screen to the wall. Trust me, it's easier to do if you can reach through before the fabric is installed. Once you mount the wall bracket halves onto the wall, its time to install the fabric. Pull down the frame and lay it "ugly" side up.

Roll out the fabric and thread in the rods in the pockets. The shorter ones go on the top and bottom and meet in the middle. Start in with every third spring to get started, then fill in the ones that are missing. (The diagram does help a little here....the springs should clip down over the rods, and then the other end into the channel on the frame)

Fabric is pulled snugly by the springs, but inserting the middle supports (there are 2 here) was easy. I installed the hanging brackets onto the frame first, and set one end against the bracket while "encouraging" the other end to the other bracket with a mallet. If you orient them correctly (see the diagram) they will go in pretty easily...but you WILL need a mallet to get it done. Don't be shy, but you might want to wrap the mallet in a clean cloth to protect the screen surface.

A few small wrinkles in the screen, but I expect them to come out in a day or two. If this is an issue, I will revisit this review.

Fabric appears to indeed be 1.1 gain, as compared to my other screens and a couple of samples from other manufacturers. Acoustic performance also appears to be as good as past screens I have owned. The weave of the fabric is invisible from my viewing distance, which is around 11 feet.

All things considered, this is a substantial screen that appears to have cost a LOT more than I paid. I would recommend it to anyone considering it. Took me about an hour, by myself, from opening the box to watching a movie.
bigrig and HT Geek like this.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2

Last edited by rtart; 10-19-2015 at 09:11 AM.
post #453 of 1705 Old 10-14-2015, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I recently got a 158" 2.35:1 grey screen from Silver Ticket. Steven at ST has been helpful and responsive so far. I've gone through multiple replacements with them due to incorrect material and most recently uniformity issues with the grey material. I have 2 screens here that when you look at the screen from an angle you see parts that have a sheen and parts that have almost no sheen. It's almost like vertical bars across the entire screen. This causes brighter vertical areas to show on very bright scenes in movies. The latest screen they sent isn't as bad, but it's still an issue. Has anyone else seen this issue with their grey material at all?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3142.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	996385  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 1705 Old 10-14-2015, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phntm View Post
Has anyone else seen this issue with their grey material at all?
I have not seen this with the matte white screen.
BTW, you picture was taken at a very steep angle. Are the stripes visible from typical viewing angles (less than 45 degrees)?
post #455 of 1705 Old 10-14-2015, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
I recently got a 158" 2.35:1 grey screen from Silver Ticket. Steven at ST has been helpful and responsive so far. I've gone through multiple replacements with them due to incorrect material and most recently uniformity issues with the grey material. I have 2 screens here that when you look at the screen from an angle you see parts that have a sheen and parts that have almost no sheen. It's almost like vertical bars across the entire screen. This causes brighter vertical areas to show on very bright scenes in movies. The latest screen they sent isn't as bad, but it's still an issue. Has anyone else seen this issue with their grey material at all?
ive had that issue with the ALR material twice now, i have a replacement on the way. Im pretty sure it happens cause the screen is rolled up onto itself and the constant change in temperature when shipping makes it stick together. If they rolled it up with tissue paper or something like it i bet their issues would disappear

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
post #456 of 1705 Old 10-14-2015, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
I have not seen this with the matte white screen.
BTW, you picture was taken at a very steep angle. Are the stripes visible from typical viewing angles (less than 45 degrees)?
Yes it's also visible from other angles as well as when a very bright or white image is projected onto it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouf0010 View Post
ive had that issue with the ALR material twice now, i have a replacement on the way. Im pretty sure it happens cause the screen is rolled up onto itself and the constant change in temperature when shipping makes it stick together. If they rolled it up with tissue paper or something like it i bet their issues would disappear
That does seem like a probable cause. Or they are just rolling it up too soon, like it needs to dry/cure an extra day(s) or something.
bouf0010 likes this.
post #457 of 1705 Old 10-20-2015, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
anyone with the AT screen having any suggestions on how to attach the black backing material? I believe they suggested just masking tape but that doesn't seem like it would hold up long term. I was thinking on sinking some small disc magnets in my wood frame and then create some pockets in the material and drop magnets in those to attach.

any other thoughts/solutions?
post #458 of 1705 Old 10-22-2015, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Yes! I have that problem as well. Never noticed it without an image being projected though. And even then, only on super bright scenes. I couldn't figure out what it was until now!

Epson 5025ub Projector
Pioneer VSX-1123-K Receiver
SVS Prime Towers Front Left/Right
SVS Prime Center
Polk Audio TSI 100 Side/Rear Surrounds
Bic F12 Subwoofer x 3 (next upgrade)
post #459 of 1705 Old 10-22-2015, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

ST 120 AT Update

An update to the post below concerning an issue with wrinkles/puckers in a seam on my AT screen.

After a couple weeks, the puckered seam was still there, in spite of efforts to stretch or 'blow-dry' them out, etc. so I reached out to ST via the Amazon messaging system. I received a reply in less than an hour and was shipped a replacement fabric in a day or so. They also included some 'shorter' springs to add more tension, but they were not needed. The new fabric went in and no puckers, wrinkles or other issues. Looks great, and an example of how customer service ought to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post
I haven't seen much feedback from ST owners of acoustically transparent screens here, so I thought I would share my experience.

I ordered my 120" AT screen from Amazon on Sept 24th and received it, and installed it, on September 30th. Except for some stubborn minor puckering of the seam on the bottom of the screen, no problems. It's been about 10 days with no change in the puckering, even after the hair dryer fix the website recommends. (The hair dryer worked on the other wrinkles, though.) Looks like the heat-sealed seam just had the pucker in it when it was sealed together. Just in two places on one edge (the bottom), but nowhere else. I'll give it another week and reach out to ST if it doesn't go away.

I replaced a Draper (now Accuscreens) 106" AT screen with the ST 120", (the old screen, the Draper/Accuscreens one, is for sale in the Classifieds section, BTW) and the PQ seems to be basically the same. The 'old' screen had basically no texture and comparable gain, and to my eyes the ST screen looks the same, only bigger.

For those interested, the gain of the ST screen seems visibly to be the same as a sample of Seymour's XD fabric. (I compared the sample to the ST screen on a white section while the PJ was on. Neither fabric was brighter than the other. The ST screen has less texture/pattern to it, though. Seymour's UD fabric had visibly less gain when tested the same way. Much less texture in the UD than either the ST screen or XD fabric.

A couple days after I installed the ST screen I wrote a review on Amazon. Here it is, for those interested.

This is my third acoustically transparent screen...the last was a Draper AT1200 106" screen. I wanted to go bigger because my new JVC RS46u can throw a bright enough picture in 3D to make this possible. I've been a home theater fan for many years, and have owned a dedicated theater for well over a decade. Since the days of Laserdiscs, CRT projectors, and Dolby Surround. (You might find me on AVSForum, Emotiva Lounge, or the Polk Audio Forum as "rtart.")

As part of my constant upgrade path, I did a lot of reading online before pulling the trigger on the ST screen reviewed here so had no surprises about the assembly instructions (or lack thereof). Watching the YouTube video makes it all clear, and a little mechanical inclination makes it fairly easy to put together and mount. The biggest issue with screens is their shipping size and cost...a ten foot long box is going to cost to ship. ST makes this screen frame in sections, so the longer (top and bottom) frame sections have to be connected somehow. ST manages this issue well, with a very sturdy connector between the two sections. The frame side sections are one piece, so no middle connection is necessary. Corners go together with reinforcing brackets and screws, and are very sturdy. After joining the top and bottom halves, put the corner brackets on the top and bottom first, then connect the frame sides.

I recommend adding the hanging brackets at this point, and figure out how you are going to mount the screen to the wall. Trust me, it's easier to do if you can reach through before the fabric is installed. Once you mount the wall bracket halves onto the wall, its time to install the fabric. Pull down the frame and lay it "ugly" side up.

Roll out the fabric and thread in the rods in the pockets. The shorter ones go on the top and bottom and meet in the middle. Start in with every third spring to get started, then fill in the ones that are missing. (The diagram does help a little here....the springs should clip down over the rods, and then the other end into the channel on the frame)

Fabric is pulled snugly by the springs, but inserting the middle supports (there are 2 here) was easy. I installed the hanging brackets onto the frame first, and set one end against the bracket while "encouraging" the other end to the other bracket with a mallet. If you orient them correctly (see the diagram) they will go in pretty easily...but you WILL need a mallet to get it done. Don't be shy, but you might want to wrap the mallet in a clean cloth to protect the screen surface.

A few small wrinkles in the screen, but I expect them to come out in a day or two. If this is an issue, I will revisit this review.

Fabric appears to indeed be 1.1 gain, as compared to my other screens and a couple of samples from other manufacturers. Acoustic performance also appears to be as good as past screens I have owned. The weave of the fabric is invisible from my viewing distance, which is around 11 feet.

All things considered, this is a substantial screen that appears to have cost a LOT more than I paid. I would recommend it to anyone considering it. Took me about an hour, by myself, from opening the box to watching a movie.
muzz and HT Geek like this.

post #460 of 1705 Old 10-23-2015, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All you guys who ended up buying ST screen.. what were your other options that you considered seriously? I've heard much good things about ST, most importantly considering the price, that I'd like to get one, but they do not make one small enough for me.

I'm going to have 8' throw and 8' viewing distance using good old Sanyo PLV-Z3000, so I thought of buying ~80" 16:9 screen. Room, 9,5' x 9,5', has off-white walls and ceiling, and a black floor. Two huge windows with blinds and thick curtains made of stuff that won't let light in. Some will spill from the corners, but I'll have to live with that. Matte grey 1.0 would be my choice, but please point me into right direction if something else would work better.

Any help / suggestions will be appreciated!
post #461 of 1705 Old 10-23-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjin View Post
All you guys who ended up buying ST screen.. what were your other options that you considered seriously? I've heard much good things about ST, most importantly considering the price, that I'd like to get one, but they do not make one small enough for me.

I'm going to have 8' throw and 8' viewing distance using good old Sanyo PLV-Z3000, so I thought of buying ~80" 16:9 screen. Room, 9,5' x 9,5', has off-white walls and ceiling, and a black floor. Two huge windows with blinds and thick curtains made of stuff that won't let light in. Some will spill from the corners, but I'll have to live with that. Matte grey 1.0 would be my choice, but please point me into right direction if something else would work better.

Any help / suggestions will be appreciated!
If you can't change your/afford new gear to a short throw projector (the BenQ or LG LED comes to mind), you may want to try building one yourself. And it would probably be a lot cheaper too.

@ an 8' throw, you're maxed out at 80" in 16:9.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sany...ulator-pro.htm

There's plenty of places (including ST) that sells just the screen materials/fabric.
post #462 of 1705 Old 10-24-2015, 12:08 AM

Thank you for the advice!

Yeah, I'm thinking 77", if I'm buying a screen, just to be sure my Sanyo can fill it. In that case I think I'll go for Grandview, since they are quite affordable here (around 400 here in Scandinavia, and bear in mind, this is an expensive country).

And yes, I have thought of DIY screen. Problem is that I have my hands full with kids, and new one coming up in few days, so along with money I'm short oftime too, but.. Maybe I'll see if I can come up with some quickish DIY solution.

The room I originally thought of equipping with ST screen is 9,5 x9,5ft. It has white ceiling and white walls. Black floor and black furniture. Side wall has massive windows equipped with blinds and thick curtains that won't let light in (well some from the edges, but I'll have to live with that). What would be your choice of gain / colour for the fabric, if I can aquire some from ST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
If you can't change your/afford new gear to a short throw projector (the BenQ or LG LED comes to mind), you may want to try building one yourself. And it would probably be a lot cheaper too.

@ an 8' throw, you're maxed out at 80" in 16:9.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sany...ulator-pro.htm

There's plenty of places (including ST) that sells just the screen materials/fabric.
post #463 of 1705 Old 10-24-2015, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

Yeah, I'm thinking 77", if I'm buying a screen, just to be sure my Sanyo can fill it. In that case I think I'll go for Grandview, since they are quite affordable here (around 400 here in Scandinavia, and bear in mind, this is an expensive country).

And yes, I have thought of DIY screen. Problem is that I have my hands full with kids, and new one coming up in few days, so along with money I'm short oftime too, but.. Maybe I'll see if I can come up with some quickish DIY solution.

The room I originally thought of equipping with ST screen is 9,5 x9,5ft. It has white ceiling and white walls. Black floor and black furniture. Side wall has massive windows equipped with blinds and thick curtains that won't let light in (well some from the edges, but I'll have to live with that). What would be your choice of gain / colour for the fabric, if I can aquire some from ST?
If you stick with ST, you may want to consider the Silver 1.5 gain ambient light rejecting material. While you can control your lighting, in your small room with white walls and ceilings, you may have a lot of light reflections. This material could help with that.

Art measured your projector at 326 lumens calibrated. Not much, but you're not going with a huge screen.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/sany...jector-review/

A 77" screen is ~18 square feet. 326 lumens/18sq ft*1.5 gain gives you ~27 foot lamberts. Plenty bright. You could use low lamp mode and save on lamp life while increasing contrast ratio.

Or, if that's too bright, go with what you you were considering, the gray fabric.
post #464 of 1705 Old 10-24-2015, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
If you stick with ST, you may want to consider the Silver 1.5 gain ambient light rejecting material. While you can control your lighting, in your small room with white walls and ceilings, you may have a lot of light reflections. This material could help with that.
The ST ALR screen is quite effective in rejecting reflections. However, many people are bothered by the uneven texture that is quite visible on bright scenes.
Also, the smallest ST screen is 92". For DIYers, their screen material has a 1.3 gain and is different from their matte white, matte grey and ALR screens.
post #465 of 1705 Old 10-25-2015, 03:08 AM

First, sorry for the off-topic (sadly my problem seems to have nothing to do with ST screens anymore)

I went through all screen retailers I could find, and it seems that my only options are Grandview 77" in 1.0 matte white or same screen in 0.8 grey. After consulting SWMBO I have let go of the DIY idea

So, just to make sure: 8" Throw with PLV-Z3000, 77" screen, black floor, black furniture (that actually forms 15" deep "borders" to bottom and foot of the screen), blacked out windows and total light control (from door / lamps), but white ceiling and off-white walls. Official recommendation of the avsforum is to get the grey screen?

Edit: I could also buy KingPin Velvet screen made by swedish company. They are ~100 cheaper than Grandviews, but they buy their screen material, and quality has not been constant, so just to make sure I'll go for Grandview.

Last edited by Anjin; 10-25-2015 at 03:13 AM.
post #466 of 1705 Old 10-25-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, just to make sure: 8" Throw with PLV-Z3000, 77" screen, black floor, black furniture (that actually forms 15" deep "borders" to bottom and foot of the screen), blacked out windows and total light control (from door / lamps), but white ceiling and off-white walls. Official recommendation of the avsforum is to get the grey screen?
Grey screen can help with "external" ambient light; but if the only ambient light is from wall and ceiling reflections, you would get the same amount of degradation in contrast ratio as with a matte white screen.
post #467 of 1705 Old 10-25-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Grey screen can help with "external" ambient light; but if the only ambient light is from wall and ceiling reflections, you would get the same amount of degradation in contrast ratio as with a matte white screen.
I somehow thought that grey screen, with 0.2 lower gain (0.8 vs 1.0) would help with those reflections (of projector produced light reflecting from the screen) too.. that it'd reflect fewer light from the screen to walls / ceiling that could reflect back?
post #468 of 1705 Old 10-25-2015, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I somehow thought that grey screen, with 0.2 lower gain (0.8 vs 1.0) would help with those reflections (of projector produced light reflecting from the screen) too.. that it'd reflect fewer light from the screen to walls / ceiling that could reflect back?
It depends on how you set up the projector. The usual guideline is to adjust for 10-14 ft-L luminance on the screen. With a grey screen, you will need to boost the projector output by 20% to get the same luminance, and in doing so, it "overpowers" the external ambient light by the same amount. The reflected ambient light, on the other hand, will remain at the same level, if you'r maintaining the same screen luminance.

If you switch from a white screen to a grey screen and keep the projector output the same, then the blacks will be darker by 20%, but so will the image and the reflected light. IOW, you have not improved the contrast.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 10-25-2015 at 04:27 PM.
post #469 of 1705 Old 10-25-2015, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

@Anjin , were you planning on importing the Grandview or ST? Or is there a local dealer you plan to buy from?

If you were importing, maybe consider the local company, KingPin. It would be easier to deal with returns if the screen had a defect and you needed to swap it out.

ST's have been known to have defects on them too. But, they seem to have good customer service in dealing with any issues. If you were importing them, it would make it much more difficult in working any problems.

Also, are you currently in that room? Or are planning on moving there? Reason I ask is because you should test out the throw on the wall to see how big the image really is @ an 8' throw.

Projector manufacturers often have a margin or error on their specs. Say maybe ~10%. So you would want to make sure the screen you buy would work. Otherwise, it's safer to stay away from extreme ends of the projector's throw range.

Once tested, you may find a happy surprise and see you could actually go larger in screen size. Or, at least have more wiggle room if you had to adjust the projectors location for whatever reason, like cables sticking out of the back.

Maybe call ST directly and inquire about purchasing the ALR material directly or having a custom size built for you.

Then, if you were importing, you could ask them to do a manual QC on the screen to make sure it's perfect before shipping to you. I've done that before when ordering a screen that had known defects.
post #470 of 1705 Old 10-26-2015, 03:38 AM

Dominic Chan: Thank you for clearing that up. I'm finally starting to understand the basics here

Biliam1982: I can buy Grandview and Kingpin screens from local dealer. Other screens / DIYmaterials I'd have to order from abroad (and if they are sent from outside of the EU, pay customs (1-10%) and taxes (24%).

I have moved into the new apartment. Renovation is still ongoing, and my future "theater" is serving as a storage at the moment, but yes, I can and just have for example measure things. I put the projector on top of some boxes agains the rear wall, where it'll go when I get to installing it properly (empty wall / wall mount, so I have complete freedom where to put it), and fired it up. The "mount", nor projectors settings, is nowhere near what they'll be, so image was a little twisted, but I measured 43,6 width, 72,6 height and 83,7 diagonally. Naturally screen will tiny bit of the throw range (98 inches at the moment), but these measurement assure me that I'd be OK with 80" screen. Sadly Grandviews and Kingpins only come in 77" up here. Next size being 92".

I must say that the loss of, lets say 5 inches diagonally (77" bought vs 82" DIY), do make me reconsider building the screen myself, even though I know I will not have time for it at the moment.. or then I just skip sleeping for some time

Thank you all for your support and advice!
post #471 of 1705 Old 10-26-2015, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Dominic Chan: Thank you for clearing that up. I'm finally starting to understand the basics here

Biliam1982: I can buy Grandview and Kingpin screens from local dealer. Other screens / DIYmaterials I'd have to order from abroad (and if they are sent from outside of the EU, pay customs (1-10%) and taxes (24%).

I have moved into the new apartment. Renovation is still ongoing, and my future "theater" is serving as a storage at the moment, but yes, I can and just have for example measure things. I put the projector on top of some boxes agains the rear wall, where it'll go when I get to installing it properly (empty wall / wall mount, so I have complete freedom where to put it), and fired it up. The "mount", nor projectors settings, is nowhere near what they'll be, so image was a little twisted, but I measured 43,6 width, 72,6 height and 83,7 diagonally. Naturally screen will tiny bit of the throw range (98 inches at the moment), but these measurement assure me that I'd be OK with 80" screen. Sadly Grandviews and Kingpins only come in 77" up here. Next size being 92".

I must say that the loss of, lets say 5 inches diagonally (77" bought vs 82" DIY), do make me reconsider building the screen myself, even though I know I will not have time for it at the moment.. or then I just skip sleeping for some time

Thank you all for your support and advice!
You know, there's another option that hasn't been mentioned yet either that is very cheap.

Do you have the flexibility to paint the room? And if so, what is the texture of your walls? Flat or something else?

This could do two things:

1. Painting the walls and ceilings a darker color would help with reflected light. Then you would be free to use a normal white screen.

2. If you could paint, you could actually use a specialized paint for the screen itself and just buy some cheap black felt tape to use as a border. That way, after the projector is mounted and the exact image size thrown would be known, you could get the largest size possible.

See the DIY screen forum for recommendations and options in your area.

If you can't paint, I'd stick with a local seller vs importing. Then it just depends on the seller's return policy/customer service on defective screens. If it's good, maybe try the cheaper screen.

Either way, it's best to start your own thread in the forum or the DIY one to not hijack this thread further.
post #472 of 1705 Old 10-26-2015, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

At your size, the costs of a PJ and screen start to stack up well against a larger flat panel TV. A 70" or 80" flat panel TV may give you a better picture at around the same price.

post #473 of 1705 Old 10-26-2015, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I must say that the loss of, lets say 5 inches diagonally (77" bought vs 82" DIY), do make me reconsider building the screen myself, even though I know I will not have time for it
Silver Ticket sells the "raw" screen material for $50 which is very reasonable, especially for 1.3 gain. There has been no reviews of the material, however.

[EDIT: I have ordered the raw material and will be comparing it with the matte white 1.1 and the silver 1.5].
mishari84 likes this.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 10-30-2015 at 09:21 PM. Reason: corrected gain to 1.3
post #474 of 1705 Old 11-03-2015, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Didn't have time to read each post but has anybody had issues with the AT screen and seeing the weave in bright scenes? It actually doesn't even have to be a bright scene but just any lighter colors and I see the weave of the material.

120" screen at 13'

A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.
post #475 of 1705 Old 11-04-2015, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Silver Ticket sells the "raw" screen material for $50 which is very reasonable, especially for 1.3 gain. There has been no reviews of the material, however.

[EDIT: I have ordered the raw material and will be comparing it with the matte white 1.1 and the silver 1.5].
best news ever

I sent an email if the 1.5 is better their original accuracy wise, they said it should be as good or better. I am also worried about no black layer on the back.

Your review will help a lot
post #476 of 1705 Old 11-04-2015, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishari84 View Post
I sent an email if the 1.5 is better their original accuracy wise, they said it should be as good or better. I am also worried about no black layer on the back.
The gain of the new material is 1.3.

The original one is 0.95 gain (even though advertised as 1.1). Its colours were quite accurate except for a slight bluish tint which raises the colour temperature by 500K, but that can be calibrated out. I don't think the lack of black backing layer is an issue, as long as the screen is hung against the wall (i.e., not light coming from the back).

Since this is only a raw material (not "ready-to-hang"), it will take me some time to cut it to size and make the pockets.
mishari84 likes this.
post #477 of 1705 Old 11-04-2015, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Since this is only a raw material (not "ready-to-hang"), it will take me some time to cut it to size and make the pockets.
Just received the Silver Ticket material. As mentioned in my previous post, this is just the raw material so I will have to find some way to mount it on the frame to actually use it for watching movies.
However, I just held up the material on the existing matte white screen, and did some quick comparisons using an old Epson 8100 projector. The projector was calibrated for 2-point grey scale (20% and 80%). My initial results are very encouraging:

1. Colour accuracy. As noted in my previous posts, the Silver Ticket Matte White screen is very good except for a bluish tint which adds about 500K to the colour temperature which needs to be calibrated out. In comparison, the new raw material is very neutral, with no colour shift when measuring off the screen compared with measuring the projected light directly. I've attached the RGB response curves for the two screen materials; the dotted lines correspond to the direct measurements without screen. Since the projector only has a two-point grey scale calibration, you should only look at the difference relative to the direct measurement.

2. Gain. I took a screen shot showing the two materials together with a sheet of bright white paper. The results speak for themselves. The raw material is visibly brighter.

3. Texture. The new material has a slight sheen when viewed at certain angles; i.e., it is not as "flat" as the Matte White. The sheen should not be visible at normal viewing angles. As a matter of fact, the material looks strikingly similar to the Carada Brilliant White sample that I have.

Even though the results are preliminary as the material has not yet been mounted, I can safely say that the material is excellent, especially considering the very low price of $50 they are selling it for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MatteWhite.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	1038449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Raw_Material.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	1038457   Click image for larger version

Name:	SilverTicketRaw.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	1038473  
mishari84 likes this.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 11-04-2015 at 12:34 PM.
post #478 of 1705 Old 11-04-2015, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post
Has anyone been able to compare screen materials with Carada?
The Silver Ticket Matte White has a measured gain of 0.95, and is less bright than the Carada Brilliant White. It also has a slight bluish tint.
The new Silver Ticket 1.3 gain material, on the other hand, is remarkably similar to the Carada Brilliant White, in colour, gain, and screen texture. However, for the time being, the 1.3 gain material is only available in "raw" material format.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 11-04-2015 at 03:18 PM.
post #479 of 1705 Old 11-04-2015, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
The Silver Ticket Matte White has a measured gain of 0.95, and is less bright than the Carada Brilliant White. It also has a slight bluish tint.
The new Silver Ticket 1.3 gain material, on the other hand, is remarkably similar to the Carada Brilliant White, in colour, gain, and screen texture. However, for the time being, the 1.3 gain material is only available in "raw" material format.
Have you done a comparison to the Stewart ST 130 screens?
post #480 of 1705 Old 11-05-2015, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Have you done a comparison to the Stewart ST 130 screens?
I haven't, but the Wirecutter review compared the Matte White against the ST 130.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page