Silver Ticket Screen? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 215Likes

post #31 of 1796 Old 12-08-2014, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I ended up purchasing a Silver Ticket 120" screen and am very impressed. Only complaint is the rod system causes the screen to not sit flat/flush with the frame in the corners. The rod sits on top of the corner bracket screws which causes the rod to not quite sit flush in the corners...i.e- the screen pushes back slightly away from the frame in the corners. I would purchase it again. I haven't done any critical viewing yet, but what I've seen looks great. Projector is a Benq W1070. Easy to assemble. High quality materials and craftsmanship. Overall 9 out of 10, deducting 1 point due to the screen not sitting flat in the corners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1796 Old 12-09-2014, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foos-Man View Post
I ended up purchasing a Silver Ticket 120" screen and am very impressed. Only complaint is the rod system causes the screen to not sit flat/flush with the frame in the corners. The rod sits on top of the corner bracket screws which causes the rod to not quite sit flush in the corners...i.e- the screen pushes back slightly away from the frame in the corners. I would purchase it again. I haven't done any critical viewing yet, but what I've seen looks great. Projector is a Benq W1070. Easy to assemble. High quality materials and craftsmanship. Overall 9 out of 10, deducting 1 point due to the screen not sitting flat in the corners.
Can you post a photo?
post #33 of 1796 Old 12-11-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewB View Post
Can you post a photo?
I order the ST yesterday with the grey screen...I will have it Friday i will post some pics & mite add a video to YouTube since i haven't seen any.

JVC NX5 Panasonic UB820 PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 1796 Old 12-11-2014, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
the silver ticket screen is nice for the money, but I noticed a significant decrease in brightness from my elite screen when using 3d mode on the Epson 5030. ended up sending the ST screen back. it is a good deal for the money though.
post #35 of 1796 Old 12-14-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewB View Post
Can you post a photo?
I tried taking a picture, but honestly the gap is so subtle and you don't see it looking straight onto the screen that it is impossible to get a good picture. You have to press your head against the screen and look down into the corner. I will put up a test grid later to see if it's even noticeable from a distortion stand point. Take a look at post #20 in this thread by ben_g99. In the last 2 pictures, notice the black bracket in the corner and silver screws. For the screen to sit completely flat, the black poles need to sit flush against the aluminum frame. The black bracket and screws cause the pole to incline in the corner (they basically act as a ramp because they are higher than the aluminum frame). I would still buy this screen and in Xbox use and movie watching it is not noticable.
post #36 of 1796 Old 12-14-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foos-Man View Post
I tried taking a picture, but honestly the gap is so subtle and you don't see it looking straight onto the screen that it is impossible to get a good picture. You have to press your head against the screen and look down into the corner. I will put up a test grid later to see if it's even noticeable from a distortion stand point. Take a look at post #20 in this thread by ben_g99. In the last 2 pictures, notice the black bracket in the corner and silver screws. For the screen to sit completely flat, the black poles need to sit flush against the aluminum frame. The black bracket and screws cause the pole to incline in the corner (they basically act as a ramp because they are higher than the aluminum frame). I would still buy this screen and in Xbox use and movie watching it is not noticable.
Not understanding why you would want the screen to sit flush on the frame so it can easily get scratched or cut by the metal frame...... It has zero effect in viewing & its not even viewable. The only reason you would know its there if you put the frame together...Just my 2 cents.

Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
post #37 of 1796 Old 12-22-2014, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
anyone grabbed one of their AT screens yet? impressions?
post #38 of 1796 Old 12-28-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
Not understanding why you would want the screen to sit flush on the frame so it can easily get scratched or cut by the metal frame...... It has zero effect in viewing & its not even viewable. The only reason you would know its there if you put the frame together...Just my 2 cents.
The reason you want the screen to sit flush on the frame is so the screen is flat. This screen is not flat in the corners as the rest of the screen sits flush to the frame, but not the corners.

Having said this, it appears that the impact to viewing is indeed negligible. I put up a grid and cannot see any distortion. I am restating that I highly recommend this screen and would not let the slight lack of flatness in the corners impact one's purchasing decision. Overall the rod system does a great job of keeping the screen flat and taught and I don't have a single wrinkle.
post #39 of 1796 Old 12-30-2014, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsabre View Post
Yep what he said. Curious myself
post #40 of 1796 Old 01-10-2015, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What is actual gain of this screen? Anyone?

It is all about quality. That is the picture.
NEC XG-1352LC 8" CRT, 106" wide StudioTek 130 screen
post #41 of 1796 Old 01-17-2015, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doradoguy View Post
Yep what he said. Curious myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsabre View Post
I looked all over for this also and never found much. I do see their website recommends the same 10' min seating distance as XD has.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 138" on amazon and will report back.

I am only afraid the 138 might be a bit to big for my 10ft seating distance. I had been looking a little smaller, but this was available.

Now to figure out projector distance for the ae8000 for this thing and get that hung.
post #42 of 1796 Old 01-17-2015, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM View Post
What is actual gain of this screen? Anyone?
Which screen because i have the Grey screen & it's gain is 1.0 ?

post #43 of 1796 Old 01-20-2015, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslye View Post
I looked all over for this also and never found much. I do see their website recommends the same 10' min seating distance as XD has.

I am only afraid the 138 might be a bit to big for my 10ft seating distance. I had been looking a little smaller, but this was available.

Now to figure out projector distance for the ae8000 for this thing and get that hung.
Look forward to your thoughts on this screen in your room. I'm looking at it too and my planned room is 12x18 dedicated theater

XBL Gamertag: Shovelbum
PSN ID: Shovelbum
post #44 of 1796 Old 01-21-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

Very curious to hear what you think. I have been trying to get a material sample for a while now but every time I check with them they say they are out of samples. The weave shown in the photos on Amazon's site look like some of the older DIY materials that others have used in the past. For the price I would be interested in the 138" curved AT screen but if the material isn't cut at an angle and doesn't measure up to at least 1.0 gain then I might have to pass.
post #45 of 1796 Old 01-22-2015, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How often do these screens go in and out of stock on amazon? Was looking at the 120", but it's been out of stock for the last few days.
post #46 of 1796 Old 01-22-2015, 01:07 PM

Liked: 10
often, shoot themaybe an email they respond pretty quickly.
post #47 of 1796 Old 01-23-2015, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I emailed them and they said they would be posted on amazon soon. Sure enough, I check again today and they are available.
post #48 of 1796 Old 01-28-2015, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Just ordered the Silver Ticket 106" screen from Amazon. I've been using a Carls DIY screen for the past year and while it's worked great, I prefer the framed screen of the ST and the spandex material over the Carls cloth. These fixed framed screens really do look like a huge LED mounted on the wall.

When ordering I noticed that Silver Ticket is discontinuing the 112", replaced with the 110". Just a heads-up for anyone on the fence, if you want the 112", you best order ASAP.

" STR-169112 Silver Ticket 112" Diagonal 16:9 HDTV (6 Piece Fixed Frame) Projector Screen White ... This model is discontinued and has been replaced by STR-169110 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PUQPFLS). "

Sony 75" X900e 4K HDR TV
Samsung 65" KS8000 4K HDR TV
Samsung HT-E5400 5.1 Smart HTS
X1X GT: JonnyRingo619
PS4 Pro GT: Ringo619

Last edited by BDUB619; 01-29-2015 at 09:24 AM.
post #49 of 1796 Old 01-28-2015, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 396
I sent an email to Silver Ticket inquiring about the availability of their ALR Silver Material. This was their reply:

"Thanks for contacting us. The factory has let us know that we will not have any more stock of the screens (including the 150") with ambient light rejecting silver material until late February.

Please let me know if I can assist in any other way."
post #50 of 1796 Old 01-29-2015, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Any pics? I'm interested in on of these in grey since my room isn't light controlled.
post #51 of 1796 Old 01-30-2015, 12:10 AM

I'm thinking about ordering a Silver Ticket 110" screen. My room is not light controlled. Should I automatically go with a grey screen?
post #52 of 1796 Old 01-30-2015, 03:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk3_wagen View Post
I'm thinking about ordering a Silver Ticket 110" screen. My room is not light controlled. Should I automatically go with a grey screen?
Choosing a screen material really depends on a couple of things. Light control is definitely a factor, but other things play into the decision. Here are a few things to consider:

1. Type of material you watch (TV shows, movies, games, sports, etc)
2. What time of the day you do most of your watching. (nighttime or daytime)
3. How much ambient light are you working with? Do you have the option to close blinds, drapes, etc?
4. Does your projector have a very high contrast ration or a low contrast ration? (How good are the blacks?)

If you do a lot of watching in the daytime, play a lot of games, or watch a lot of TV shows and sports, then you would be best suited for an ALR screen (Silver Ticket 1.5 gain)

If you do most of your watching at night time, play mostly movies or other high quality viewing, and have a low contrast projector, then a gray screen may be the better option (Silver Screen 1.0 gain). The gray would enhance the perceived contrast ratio, give an excellent viewing angle, and reduce the likely hood of hot spotting that the ALR screen would produce.

Here is an excellent article for more information:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/arti...-my-projector/

Hope this helps.
post #53 of 1796 Old 01-30-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmeavs View Post
Choosing a screen material really depends on a couple of things. Light control is definitely a factor, but other things play into the decision. Here are a few things to consider:

1. Type of material you watch (TV shows, movies, games, sports, etc)
2. What time of the day you do most of your watching. (nighttime or daytime)
3. How much ambient light are you working with? Do you have the option to close blinds, drapes, etc?
4. Does your projector have a very high contrast ration or a low contrast ration? (How good are the blacks?)

If you do a lot of watching in the daytime, play a lot of games, or watch a lot of TV shows and sports, then you would be best suited for an ALR screen (Silver Ticket 1.5 gain)

If you do most of your watching at night time, play mostly movies or other high quality viewing, and have a low contrast projector, then a gray screen may be the better option (Silver Screen 1.0 gain). The gray would enhance the perceived contrast ratio, give an excellent viewing angle, and reduce the likely hood of hot spotting that the ALR screen would produce.

Here is an excellent article for more information:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/arti...-my-projector/

Hope this helps.
Since I work from home, I watch TV, sports, movies, and play games throughout the day. Here's a picture of how the projector looks on my grey walls. Projector I'm using now is a Sony VPL-HW40ES. The ALR screen is backordered for 3 weeks and I was hoping to order a screen today to use it this weekend for the Super Bowl. I was leaning towards grey, but I'm not sure if I'll be missing out on something compared to the matte white.
post #54 of 1796 Old 01-30-2015, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Since I work from home, I watch TV, sports, movies, and play games throughout the day. Here's a picture of how the projector looks on my grey walls. Projector I'm using now is a Sony VPL-HW40ES. The ALR screen is backordered for 3 weeks and I was hoping to order a screen today to use it this weekend for the Super Bowl. I was leaning towards grey, but I'm not sure if I'll be missing out on something compared to the matte white.
Your picture didn't show up.

Also, that's ambitious to order a screen, get it shipped, and setup by game time.
post #55 of 1796 Old 01-30-2015, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

Also, that's ambitious to order a screen, get it shipped, and setup by game time.
I would have to agree. Buying a screen for the purpose of this upcoming weekend would be difficult. Plus, once you make your purchase, you will have to stick with that screen for every Superbowl in the future. It is best to figure out what would best suit your needs and wait till they have what you need in stock. By this time next year, you will have the best setup for the money.

In your setup, Sony 40ES (excellent contrast ratio) and daytime viewing, I think you would be pleasantly surprised with a 1.5 gain silver screen. The screen should enhance your viewing during the day and help with the brightness of the projector. Just keep in the mind that the viewing angles will be slightly limited and it may have slight hot-spotting. Nothing terrible, but all trade offs of ALR screens.

If you could resend that picture, it would be great to see your setup.
post #56 of 1796 Old 01-30-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

Yeah, I know. I ended up ordering the Silver Ticket white matte in 110". I do have some light coming from the top of my arch window that directly hits the screen. I have watched a few movies, sports, and tv shows with a 120" projection. My main seating will be at 10-11' at most and my desk is about 16' feet away. I liked the 120" for movies, but did not like it for basketball games. I had a hard time keeping up with the fast back and forth action. 110" looks good at 10-11' and 16' to me. I also have some french doors on the side of my right speaker and I would've had to move it out more to accomodate the wider screen. It would've blocked one of the doors from opening.

I'll use this screen for a few months and I don't like it, I'll upgrade to something else. I paid $246 shipped with Saturday delivery so I won't be out too much money if I don't like it. Any screen should look way better than my dark grey wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5364.jpg
Views:	3188
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	513585  
BDUB619 likes this.
post #57 of 1796 Old 01-31-2015, 03:38 PM

For those of you that got a screen that included 4 brackets, did you use all the brackets of did you just use the 2 that go on the top?
post #58 of 1796 Old 02-01-2015, 01:10 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

So finally got time today to get this out of the box and up on the wall today.

I am sitting at 12' and don't see any moiré.

Like others have noted, the instructions are useless, you can toss those out. The overall make of the frame is pretty good. I did notice it wasn't completely firm in the middle when I was picking it up from the center without a screen. Once I hung it with a screen and on the included mount the problem went away.

The screen was on a roll, didn't have any issues with creases etc.

One unexpected item was the black screen backing that was included was a separate sheet which worked out well for me. I had painted everything behind the screen dark already so didn't need the backing. So I ended up using it to make covers for under the screen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422778002.545704.jpg
Views:	2993
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	515617Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422778013.110371.jpg
Views:	3285
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	515625Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422778027.608994.jpg
Views:	2472
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	515633Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422778039.069362.jpg
Views:	2585
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	515641Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422778048.658659.jpg
Views:	2325
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	515649Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422778106.621501.jpg
Views:	3368
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	515657Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422778126.739926.jpg
Views:	2913
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	515665Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422778132.870188.jpg
Views:	3764
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	515673
BDUB619, Balinus, P007 and 2 others like this.
post #59 of 1796 Old 02-01-2015, 01:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For those of you that got a screen that included 4 brackets, did you use all the brackets of did you just use the 2 that go on the top?
I just used the two on top......Still hanging so far.

post #60 of 1796 Old 02-01-2015, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
I just used the two on top......Still hanging so far.
We hung it up with the top 2 and feels very secure. I'll need to upgrade to the silver 1.5 gain screen later this year. The slightest ligjt washes out the picture. I would've waiting till they had it in stock, but I needed a screen for the super bowl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page