Silver Ticket Screen? - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 202Likes

post #991 of 1676 Old 10-28-2016, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 291
When you angle the projector, does the Moire improve? I never tried that. But it is an easy test.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1676 Old 10-28-2016, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by busybe View Post
Thanks all. I think it has to do with projector's projection hitting the weave pattern in some odd way. The lines that I see,shows the weave across the whole screen on ligher scenes. I beleive I need to adjust both, the screen and the projector. I certainly need to do more testing, once the new screen arrives.
De-focusing the projector and zooming in/out are two tests that can be very easily done (literally in a few minutes), and will help conclude once for all the nature of the lines you're seeing.
post #993 of 1676 Old 10-28-2016, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
De-focusing the projector and zooming in/out are two tests that can be very easily done (literally in a few minutes), and will help conclude once for all the nature of the lines you're seeing.
Ok, got some time to do some testing. Defocusing takes away the lines and bringing the focus back to normal brings the lines back on. So, what does this conclude?

Colors pics shows no lines

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 1676 Old 10-28-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
When you angle the projector, does the Moire improve? I never tried that. But it is an easy test.
Changing the angle of the projector, it does not take it away moire, however it changes the moire pattern, instead of straight lines,I see curved or slanted lines..
post #995 of 1676 Old 10-28-2016, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, got some time to do some testing. Defocusing takes away the lines and bringing the focus back to normal brings the lines back on. So, what does this conclude?

Colors pics shows no lines

It's MOIRE.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
post #996 of 1676 Old 10-28-2016, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Changing the angle of the projector, it does not take it away moire, however it changes the moire pattern, instead of straight lines,I see curved or slanted lines..

Moire. Moire. Moire!

post #997 of 1676 Old 10-28-2016, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That confirms that the lines are indeed moire, and hopefully the replacement screen will not have the same issue.
post #998 of 1676 Old 10-28-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Moire. Moire. Moire!

Quote:
That confirms that the lines are indeed moire, and hopefully the replacement screen will not have the same issue.
Thank you. Yes, i hope so the new screen diminishes this issue. I certainly hope so. Will update again once I put it up.
post #999 of 1676 Old 10-28-2016, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Keep us posted. You could just angle your projector and would know right away

post #1000 of 1676 Old 10-30-2016, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Maybe 3LCD SDE is just too much for a AT screen? They really should've cut the fabric at 45 degree angle.
post #1001 of 1676 Old 11-02-2016, 11:01 AM

I have received the screen, so hopefully will install it this weekend. Fingers crossed
gnolivos likes this.
post #1002 of 1676 Old 11-03-2016, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have an issue with my ST screen...looks like its dimpled pretty badly in the lower 1/4 corner of the screen. Its about 2' x 3'. Its not wrinkles, these are dimples.

Does anyone know the best way to contact Silver Ticket? All they have on the website is an email address.
post #1003 of 1676 Old 11-03-2016, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkz06 View Post
Does anyone know the best way to contact Silver Ticket? All they have on the website is an email address.
With my screen there was a paper included with the instructions that gave the phone number to call.
post #1004 of 1676 Old 11-04-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeery View Post
With my screen there was a paper included with the instructions that gave the phone number to call.
Do you happen to have that number handy?

My paperwork doesn't have anything on it as far as a number to call.
post #1005 of 1676 Old 11-04-2016, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Do you happen to have that number handy?

My paperwork doesn't have anything on it as far as a number to call.
Maybe they stopped including it. Nope, I tossed the paper after install. Maybe someone else still has it.
post #1006 of 1676 Old 11-06-2016, 05:18 AM

Quote:
I have an issue with my ST screen...looks like its dimpled pretty badly in the lower 1/4 corner of the screen. Its about 2' x 3'. Its not wrinkles, these are dimples.

You just email them. They are very quick in responding. That's how I have dealt with my issue. For yours, I would say, use the set of springs (both) to stretch in that area. Let it stand for couple days. It should go away. Do you have a pic you can post?
gnolivos likes this.
post #1007 of 1676 Old 11-06-2016, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Keep us posted. You could just angle your projector and would know right away
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsong View Post
Maybe 3LCD SDE is just too much for a AT screen? They really should've cut the fabric at 45 degree angle.
I am very disappointed to tell you that installing the new material resulted in the same moire effect. No changes at all!!! Arrg..

Does that conclude that my projector (Epson 3000) and SilverTicket AT screen are not a good match? Defocusing takes away the moire, but that's not how I want to watch anything..

The big questions is - What do I do now? What can I do now? Do they have a return policy?
post #1008 of 1676 Old 11-06-2016, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am very disappointed to tell you that installing the new material resulted in the same moire effect. No changes at all!!! Arrg..

Does that conclude that my projector (Epson 3000) and SilverTicket AT screen are not a good match? Defocusing takes away the moire, but that's not how I want to watch anything..

The big questions is - What do I do now? What can I do now? Do they have a return policy?

Well I've tried helping you to no end. Will you please PLEASE do yourself a favor and ANGLE THE PROJECTOR SLIGHTLY to determine whether it will remove the moire?

post #1009 of 1676 Old 11-06-2016, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Defocusing takes away the moire, but that's not how I want to watch anything..
Understandably. Are you able to defocus the projector just a little bit to elimate the moire without noticeably softening the picture at the normal viewing distance?

Mounting the projector at a different height or distance can sometimes reduce moire.

Quote:
Do they have a return policy?
Returning items across the border adds complexity due the customs etc. It's best to contact them directly to see what they say.
post #1010 of 1676 Old 11-06-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Well I've tried helping you to no end. Will you please PLEASE do yourself a favor and ANGLE THE PROJECTOR SLIGHTLY to determine whether it will remove the moire?
I do thank you for all your help @gnolivos .

I have done that, it does not help. Right now the projector is mounted on the ceiling so I can only change it from up/down and left to right.I will play with it more to determine if at all that may help

Quote:
Understandably. Are you able to defocus the projector just a little bit to elimate the moire without noticeably softening the picture at the normal viewing distance?

Mounting the projector at a different height or distance can sometimes reduce moire.

Returning items across the border adds complexity due the customs etc. It's best to contact them directly to see what they say.
Yes, a little defocus help with moire (not to go away completely, but at least lessen it). To make it go away completely, I have to defocus to the extent that it ruins the quality of the picture (and of course the texts looks completely defocused).

I may have to try to play around with projector's height and distance.

Returning the item should only cost me shipping(hopefully), should not have customs issue, since I did not pay any customs bringing it to Canada. However, I paid Canadian taxes on this item, don't know how I can get that back.
post #1011 of 1676 Old 11-06-2016, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do thank you for all your help @gnolivos .

I have done that, it does not help. Right now the projector is mounted on the ceiling so I can only change it from up/down and left to right.I will play with it more to determine if at all that may help

Yes, a little defocus help with moire (not to go away completely, but at least lessen it). To make it go away completely, I have to defocus to the extent that it ruins the quality of the picture (and of course the texts looks completely defocused).

I may have to try to play around with projector's height and distance.

Returning the item should only cost me shipping(hopefully), should not have customs issue, since I did not pay any customs bringing it to Canada. However, I paid Canadian taxes on this item, don't know how I can get that back.

You NEED to angle it left and right. Not any other direction. This will have the same effect as tiliting your screen left and right, or angling the fabric. But doing it at the projector is much easier. If that works for you, and it resolves the Moire, you could contact silver ticket and tell them they need to cut it at a steeper angle.

Good luck. I'm out.
busybe likes this.

post #1012 of 1676 Old 11-06-2016, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can claim the refund for the taxes you paid:
Refund of Duties and Taxes on Non-commercial Importations
post #1013 of 1676 Old 11-06-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
You NEED to angle it left and right. Not any other direction. This will have the same effect as tiliting your screen left and right, or angling the fabric. But doing it at the projector is much easier. If that works for you, and it resolves the Moire, you could contact silver ticket and tell them they need to cut it at a steeper angle.

Good luck. I'm out.
Thanks again for your help

Quote:
You can claim the refund for the taxes you paid:
Refund of Duties and Taxes on Non-commercial Importations
Thanks Dominic Chan. You have been a great help. And thank you for this link.

Last edited by busybe; 11-06-2016 at 06:59 AM.
post #1014 of 1676 Old 11-06-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
You just email them. They are very quick in responding. That's how I have dealt with my issue. For yours, I would say, use the set of springs (both) to stretch in that area. Let it stand for couple days. It should go away. Do you have a pic you can post?
I did email them, and to their credit they did email me back the next day.

However, it looks as though almost 3/4 of the screen is dimpled, some very deeply.

They advised to use a hair dryer, and it did work on some of the dimples...but lets be honest who the hell has 5 hours to blowdry their screen? Also noticed that the screen is not very tight along the long edges of the frame. It took almost zero effort to get the screen pulled on to the fasteners.

This is going back to Amazon and I'm going to pony up the extra money to get a quality screen.

Thinking about an SI or Elunevision.
Dws6 likes this.
post #1015 of 1676 Old 11-06-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
I did email them, and to their credit they did email me back the next day.

However, it looks as though almost 3/4 of the screen is dimpled, some very deeply.

They advised to use a hair dryer, and it did work on some of the dimples...but lets be honest who the hell has 5 hours to blowdry their screen? Also noticed that the screen is not very tight along the long edges of the frame. It took almost zero effort to get the screen pulled on to the fasteners.

This is going back to Amazon and I'm going to pony up the extra money to get a quality screen.

Thinking about an SI or Elunevision.
I had the same issue in the beginning about screen not being tight along the long edges. I used both the set of springs - small and large and after 1 week, that was straightened up perfect. Is it AT screen? It did not bother me in viewing. It only showed when I was not projecting anything. If you can wait one week, might want to try that. Good that you bought from Amazon as they have good return policy.
post #1016 of 1676 Old 11-06-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I had the same issue in the beginning about screen not being tight along the long edges. I used both the set of springs - small and large and after 1 week, that was straightened up perfect. Is it AT screen? It did not bother me in viewing. It only showed when I was not projecting anything. If you can wait one week, might want to try that. Good that you bought from Amazon as they have good return policy.
No mine is not AT.

It did not come with any springs.

To get the absolute best picture quality, the surface needs to be perfectly flat, and no texture.

This screen has minimal texture, but it is not tight enough to keep it perfectly flat.
post #1017 of 1676 Old 11-06-2016, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Their AT screens attach with springs. Perfectly right. Is yours attaching with snap buttons?

post #1018 of 1676 Old 11-06-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Their AT screens attach with springs. Perfectly right. Is yours attaching with snap buttons?
Mine had fiberglass rods, and plastic pegs.

The screen has circular cutouts, and the rods run thru the screen edge. You clip the circular holes/rod over the plastic pegs. Thats it.
post #1019 of 1676 Old 11-06-2016, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked: 1448
Quote:
Mine had fiberglass rods, and plastic pegs.

The screen has circular cutouts, and the rods run thru the screen edge. You clip the circular holes/rod over the plastic pegs. Thats it.
Yes, yours is non AT screen. I have same screen in 120 inch, love it.

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
post #1020 of 1676 Old 11-06-2016, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You may want to wait a few days. Most people across brands have this 'issue' but it dissipates over time. The silver ticket screens are of tremendous quality and compete with screens costing 3 times as much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page