Silver Ticket Screen? - Page 35 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 202Likes

post #1021 of 1676 Old 11-06-2016, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4364 Post(s)
Liked: 1605
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkz06 View Post
Also noticed that the screen is not very tight along the long edges of the frame. It took almost zero effort to get the screen pulled on to the fasteners.
I would contact them again before returning it. There were some batches of ST screens that were not cut to the right size. With the right size the screen material should be properly tensioned (slightly stretched) and flat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1676 Old 11-06-2016, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
You NEED to angle it left and right. Not any other direction. This will have the same effect as tiliting your screen left and right, or angling the fabric. But doing it at the projector is much easier. If that works for you, and it resolves the Moire, you could contact silver ticket and tell them they need to cut it at a steeper angle.

Good luck. I'm out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Understandably. Are you able to defocus the projector just a little bit to elimate the moire without noticeably softening the picture at the normal viewing distance?

Mounting the projector at a different height or distance can sometimes reduce moire.

Returning items across the border adds complexity due the customs etc. It's best to contact them directly to see what they say.
@gnolivos , I said you are out, but just 1 more question to you as well Dominic Chan

So, I tried more to play with the projector. Completely zoom our or zoom in helped with moire diminishing quite a bit, but as soon as I bring it to the right size of the screen(or around there), moire is quite visible. Is this projector's issue?
post #1023 of 1676 Old 11-06-2016, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybe View Post
So, I tried more to play with the projector. Completely zoom out or zoom in helped with moire diminishing quite a bit, but as soon as I bring it to the right size of the screen(or around there), moire is quite visible. Is this projector's issue?
Moire is caused by the interaction between the projector and the screen; you can't really say it's a "projector issue" as the projector would work totally fine without moire on a matte screen.
Based on your latest findings, switching to a larger screen or smaller screen may eliminate, or at lease reduce the moire. You should try zooming to exactly the next size (up or down) to see what it would look like. Measure the projected image on the wall to be sure.
Although less likely, re-position the projector sometimes also helps.
busybe likes this.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 11-06-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1024 of 1676 Old 11-07-2016, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hi guys

Is the weave on the AT Silver Ticket screens visable from 3 meters?

Anyone think I am making a mistake going for a 135" screen at that distance?

When assembling a fixed frame screen how much clearance around it is needed? Wondering if I can fit the largest screen possible in my room.

Thanks

Last edited by apcreek; 11-07-2016 at 02:29 PM.
post #1025 of 1676 Old 11-08-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apcreek View Post
Hi guys

Is the weave on the AT Silver Ticket screens visable from 3 meters?

Anyone think I am making a mistake going for a 135" screen at that distance?

When assembling a fixed frame screen how much clearance around it is needed? Wondering if I can fit the largest screen possible in my room.

Thanks
3 mts is close to 9 ft. I think it might be a little too close, but then again it depends on how you enjoy your view. When you to go an actual movie theater, do you sit too close to the big screen?

I have Sliver Ticket AT screen (100") and from 9ft, it great! AT screen requires very little ceiling room to mount the screen

This is from their website

"Note: The minimum ceiling clearance this bracket system will allow is 1/8", which means that the top of the upper brackets needs to be placed at minimum of 3/8" from the ceiling to allow room to mount the screen."
https://silver-ticket-products.mysho...e-installation

Hope this helps
post #1026 of 1676 Old 11-08-2016, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have Sliver Ticket AT screen (100") and from 9ft, it great!
Have you managed to solved the issue with moire patterns?
post #1027 of 1676 Old 11-08-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Have you managed to solved the issue with moire patterns?
Nope, not much testing done other than what I have mentioned in my earlier post. My projector is mounted on the ceiling. I don't want to get into hassel of demounting and mounting in a new location. I don't know what else I can do. Definitely do not want to go a smaller screen (right now 100") and my space won't allow me to go beyond 100 (maybe I can fit border less 110", but that's about it).

I am in contact with ST. They say, they may make a special screen for me to try one more time. I may want to return the screen and go a different direction, but they are great to work with (have been extremely helpful with every question and frustration I have mentioned to them) so want to give them one more try.

Whether this work out or not, I am extremely impressed with ST's customer service and would not mind recommending anyone to ST.
post #1028 of 1676 Old 11-08-2016, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Whether this work out or not, I am extremely impressed with ST's customer service and would not mind recommending anyone to ST.
I agree. I've had their "standard" matte white screen and also the 1.3 gain, and have been very pleased with both the quality of the screen and their customer service.
However, their AT and ALR screens do not seem to fare as well.
post #1029 of 1676 Old 11-08-2016, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Nope, not much testing done other than what I have mentioned in my earlier post. My projector is mounted on the ceiling. I don't want to get into hassel of demounting and mounting in a new location. I don't know what else I can do. Definitely do not want to go a smaller screen (right now 100") and my space won't allow me to go beyond 100 (maybe I can fit border less 110", but that's about it).

I am in contact with ST. They say, they may make a special screen for me to try one more time. I may want to return the screen and go a different direction, but they are great to work with (have been extremely helpful with every question and frustration I have mentioned to them) so want to give them one more try.

I may have missed it but didn't see a confirmation. Would spinning the projector 5deg off center on the mount towards one of the walls and use the lens shift to bring it back onto the screen help with this moire issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gnolivos likes this.
post #1030 of 1676 Old 11-08-2016, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
3 mts is close to 9 ft. I think it might be a little too close, but then again it depends on how you enjoy your view. When you to go an actual movie theater, do you sit too close to the big screen?

I have Sliver Ticket AT screen (100") and from 9ft, it great! AT screen requires very little ceiling room to mount the screen

This is from their website

"Note: The minimum ceiling clearance this bracket system will allow is 1/8", which means that the top of the upper brackets needs to be placed at minimum of 3/8" from the ceiling to allow room to mount the screen."
https://silver-ticket-products.mysho...e-installation

Hope this helps
Thanks, nah I tend to sit at the back at the cinema.

Hmm maybe 120" is a better size for me. Thanks for the reply.
post #1031 of 1676 Old 11-08-2016, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dws6 View Post
Would spinning the projector 5deg off center on the mount towards one of the walls and use the lens shift to bring it back onto the screen help with this moire
That may help with the moire, but would also cause noticeable geometric (keystone) distortion. Imho it's not a viable option.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 11-08-2016 at 07:36 PM.
post #1032 of 1676 Old 11-08-2016, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just learned about these Silver Ticket screens.

Right now I have a loft with a big gray wall, I have a 107x60" rectangle painted on the wall above my LCD TV (for daytime viewing) with Paint On Screen. It's the "S1 Ultimate Contrast" paint.

I've always thought it looks pretty damned good, but on white scenes you can see a bit of waviness if you look where the paint roller strokes are. It's not really noticeable unless you know to look for it.

Now I see I could potentially get this Silver Ticket screen for $249 that's 120" diagonal. That's a little smaller than I have now (123"). With the black border it seems like the whole thing could go right over my existing screen paint and I wouldn't even need to repaint the area.

Would this be worth doing? How is the matte material compared to the "Ultimate Contrast" paint I have now?

My room is capable of full light control, but I usually like to keep a small amount of light on in the side room off my living space.
post #1033 of 1676 Old 11-08-2016, 06:15 PM

[QUOTE=Dws6;48050673]I may have missed it but didn't see a confirmation. Would spinning the projector 5deg off center on the mount towards one of the walls and use the lens shift to bring it back onto the screen help with this moire issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I have tried to play with projector quite a bit (basically moving it up/down). I do not (or dont know how to) know if I can move the projector left or right without demounting it. With all the movement, moire has not gone. I can try playing with projector again. Zooming in or out has certainly help with moire issue though, which I find it strange! At certain zoom it is so much visible and at certain zoom, it is barely visible..
post #1034 of 1676 Old 11-08-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan0751 View Post
I just learned about these Silver Ticket screens.

Right now I have a loft with a big gray wall, I have a 107x60" rectangle painted on the wall above my LCD TV (for daytime viewing) with Paint On Screen. It's the "S1 Ultimate Contrast" paint.

I've always thought it looks pretty damned good, but on white scenes you can see a bit of waviness if you look where the paint roller strokes are. It's not really noticeable unless you know to look for it.

Now I see I could potentially get this Silver Ticket screen for $249 that's 120" diagonal. That's a little smaller than I have now (123"). With the black border it seems like the whole thing could go right over my existing screen paint and I wouldn't even need to repaint the area.

Would this be worth doing? How is the matte material compared to the "Ultimate Contrast" paint I have now?

My room is capable of full light control, but I usually like to keep a small amount of light on in the side room off my living space.
Would it be worth? I think so.. definitely worth a try. If you buy it from amazon, they have good return policy, if you do not like it.

Regarding material, I recommend emailing silver ticket directly. They are great in responding.
post #1035 of 1676 Old 11-08-2016, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 291
If only someone would angle the projector OR the screen a few degrees, the dilemma could be solved without all the shipping products back and forth. Sigh.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #1036 of 1676 Old 11-08-2016, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do not (or dont know how to) know if I can move the projector left or right without demounting it.
Most projector mounts let you adjust the yaw (rotation along the vertical axis) without dismounting; i.e., you can "point" the projector slightly to the left or to the right, rather than shifting the mounting location.

Quote:
Zooming in or out has certainly help with moire issue though, which I find it strange!
That is actually the expected behaviour, and was the reason I suggested it as a test to see if the patterns were moire.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 11-08-2016 at 07:47 PM.
post #1037 of 1676 Old 11-09-2016, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
If only someone would angle the projector OR the screen a few degrees, the dilemma could be solved without all the shipping products back and forth. Sigh.
You seem to be quite confident that your suggestion would solve the problem.
post #1038 of 1676 Old 11-09-2016, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Most projector mounts let you adjust the yaw (rotation along the vertical axis) without dismounting; i.e., you can "point" the projector slightly to the left or to the right, rather than shifting the mounting location.

That is actually the expected behaviour, and was the reason I suggested it as a test to see if the patterns were moire.
If what you say I am understanding, I have already done that. When I say move up and down, I meant to tilt it in different angles. This has created trapezoids as you mentioned previously. I have tried with and without keystone. I have tried angling the screen as well. I have tried everything possible without dismounting the projector.
post #1039 of 1676 Old 11-09-2016, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If what you say I am understanding, I have already done that. When I say move up and down, I meant to tilt it in different angles.
No, "rotating along the verical axis" means turning it left or right (yaw), not tilting it up and down (pitch).
See the illustration roll-pitch-and-yaw
It's worth trying.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 11-09-2016 at 06:00 AM.
post #1040 of 1676 Old 11-09-2016, 06:05 AM

Quote:
No, "rotating along the verical axis" means turning it left or right (yaw), not tilting it up and down (pitch).
Thanks for the illustration . I am pretty sure I have tried all three different ways as illustrated. I will try it one more time. This may ruin the straight image and I will have to use lens shift + key stone correction. I would want to stay away from it if possible and have it at last resort.
post #1041 of 1676 Old 11-09-2016, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the illustration . I am pretty sure I have tried all three different ways as illustrated. I will try it one more time. This may ruin the straight image and I will have to use lens shift + key stone correction. I would want to stay away from it if possible and have it at last resort.
Try it just to make "someone" happy
post #1042 of 1676 Old 11-09-2016, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked: 1448
@busybe if none of the above solutions work and you really want to keep your projector, I suggest you to look at a better AT screen. While ST makes good screens, their AT screens are not as good as their non AT screens. And if you want to spend money on better AT screen that will help with moire, and you could try this if you have little money and not want to spend alot on AT screens is some little DIY. You can buy white spandex or microperf screen and keep your ST velvet frame. Not sure if anyone has tried that but that is what I would do if I were saving money and didn't want to spend few thousand on nice AT screen. I'd just keep the ST and do DIY screen with same ST frame. Let us know how the 3rd screen works for you? (3rd times the charm is what they say!)
busybe likes this.

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
post #1043 of 1676 Old 11-09-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Try it just to make "someone" happy
haha, well, its about the other options out there. I want to try my best, but if it does not work out (without disturbing picture quality), I would like to try those other options.
post #1044 of 1676 Old 11-09-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
@busybe if none of the above solutions work and you really want to keep your projector, I suggest you to look at a better AT screen. While ST makes good screens, their AT screens are not as good as their non AT screens. And if you want to spend money on better AT screen that will help with moire, and you could try this if you have little money and not want to spend alot on AT screens is some little DIY. You can buy white spandex or microperf screen and keep your ST velvet frame. Not sure if anyone has tried that but that is what I would do if I were saving money and didn't want to spend few thousand on nice AT screen. I'd just keep the ST and do DIY screen with same ST frame. Let us know how the 3rd screen works for you? (3rd times the charm is what they say!)
Those are really good suggestions. Thank you. I will not be returning the projector (as long as the problem is not with the projector), so I have to try other screens. Being in Canada the other options i have are Elite AT screen, Elunevision (expensive -but money back guarantee), Cinemachoice (however, they do not make in the size I can fit) AT screen. I can also go the DIY route (although will need my thinking cap on + help from AVS members ). I don't think anyone in AVS has tried this, I saw someone asking the same questions in AVS recently - using old ST frame with spandex DIY..
post #1045 of 1676 Old 11-09-2016, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't think anyone in AVS has tried this, I saw someone asking the same questions in AVS recently - using old ST frame with spandex DIY..
I have not tried spandex, but have made a screen to replace the ST matte white material. With the right adhesive and assuming a single layer material, it's a relatively straightforward process.
post #1046 of 1676 Old 11-09-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I have not tried spandex, but have made a screen to replace the ST matte white material. With the right adhesive and assuming a single layer material, it's a relatively straightforward process.
That's nice to know. I may get tips from you if/when required.
post #1047 of 1676 Old 11-09-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:

It's worth trying.

This is what I suggested earlier....

post #1048 of 1676 Old 11-09-2016, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is what I suggested earlier....
It would be interesting to confirm if it removes the moire, but I don't consider it a "solution" as rotating it would create keystone distortion.
post #1049 of 1676 Old 11-10-2016, 05:39 AM

Quote:
It would be interesting to confirm if it removes the moire, but I don't consider it a "solution" as rotating it would create keystone distortion.

I suspect that if zoom or refocusing is enough to change or remove it that a very small shift 1-2deg in yaw could fix it. Over zoom the image a tad past the boarders with a little keystone correction and it might not even be noticeable. How do we know the projector is even square now?

post #1050 of 1676 Old 11-10-2016, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How do we know the projector is even square now?
I can't speak for the OP, but when I set up my projector, I make sure the left and right sides of the projected image have the same height, that guarantees it has the correct yaw. Similarly, if the top and bottom edges have the same width, then the pitch is correctly set.
It is very sensitive, as a very small change in angle will make the geometric distortion visible.
In general, one should avoid using the projector's keystone correction as that degrades the image quality.
rossandwendy likes this.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 11-10-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page