Silver Ticket Screen? - Page 45 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 202Likes

post #1321 of 1684 Old 10-15-2017, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot666 View Post
Value wise a Benq W1070 and Silver Ticket screen combo can't be beat IMO. (Except their acoustic transparent screen. I can't recommend that.)

@Patriot666 ... Why do you say that you can't recommend the Silver Ticket acoustic transparent screen?

Anyone else able to comment on the Silver Ticket acoustic transparent screen? Is Elite's acoustic screen any better?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1684 Old 10-15-2017, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by elee532 View Post
@Patriot666 ... Why do you say that you can't recommend the Silver Ticket acoustic transparent screen?

Anyone else able to comment on the Silver Ticket acoustic transparent screen? Is Elite's acoustic screen any better?

Thanks!

I have the Silverticket 110in acoustically transparent screen. I love it to death.

At first I had a 1080p projector and it showed Moire which was annoying. But I soon after upgraded to a 4K (faux k) projector and it shows absolutely zero Moire. Awesome screen for 4K!!!

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #1323 of 1684 Old 10-15-2017, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
I have the Silverticket 110in acoustically transparent screen. I love it to death.

At first I had a 1080p projector and it showed Moire which was annoying. But I soon after upgraded to a 4K (faux k) projector and it shows absolutely zero Moire. Awesome screen for 4K!!!

Thanks for sharing @gnolivos !! My projector is 1080p. Bummer to hear about the moire issue at 1080p.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1324 of 1684 Old 11-18-2017, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks!

I have the Silver Ticket 138" curved AT screen purchased 2014 paired with Sony projector...absolutely thrilled with it.
post #1325 of 1684 Old 11-19-2017, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 27
How would a Silver Ticket STR-235 125 inch screen 1.1 gain white screen be like for a JVC 540? I currently have a Carada 1.0 gain Cinema white that i love but it is too big for my new room. Will there be a noticeable picture quality difference?
post #1326 of 1684 Old 11-21-2017, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 1813
Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie75 View Post
How would a Silver Ticket STR-235 125 inch screen 1.1 gain white screen be like for a JVC 540? I currently have a Carada 1.0 gain Cinema white that i love but it is too big for my new room. Will there be a noticeable picture quality difference?
Get a sample, since you've been using a Carada there's no way for anyway to answer it

8hz ULF TR for the masses and the Cashless. Like a BOSS

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
post #1327 of 1684 Old 11-22-2017, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
Get a sample, since you've been using a Carada there's no way for anyway to answer it
Does Silver Ticket to samples? I thought someone said they didn't. Anyway, I did see a post way back in this thread on someone with a Carada and a Silver Ticket. They seemed to think the picture quality was about the same with the Carada having better build quality. I may pull the trigger on a Silver Ticket on craigslist (new in box for $150).
post #1328 of 1684 Old 11-26-2017, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hibeta View Post
I have the Silver Ticket 138" curved AT screen purchased 2014 paired with Sony projector...absolutely thrilled with it.
Quote:
Thanks for sharing @gnolivos !! My projector is 1080p. Bummer to hear about the moire issue at 1080p.

FWIW, I have the 120" AT with a Sony [email protected] and I have no moire issues. As for AT properties, degradation is noticeable to my ears (not the wifes), Audyssey helps to a point, but I found just turning up the volume more seemed to help more.

One day I may experiment with a DIY solution or perhaps just send off the screen to Seymour to make a drop in screen for the ST frame, in the meanwhile it is good enough, especially considering what I paid for it...

-pd
post #1329 of 1684 Old 12-05-2017, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

Thanks!

Sorry I didn't see your post. I've been off the forum for a bit. I had issues with my ST AT screen. The material had wrinkles around the edges. It sounds like it may have just been mine though as others here have said they are happy with theirs. I ended up spending quite a bit more on a Falcon Horizon AT screen and I'm very happy with it.
post #1330 of 1684 Old 12-11-2017, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi everyone.

I am looking for a 135-138" 16:9 AT screen, on a tight budget. These get good reviews on the web, so I might bite. Anyone using a similar sized screen with AT fabric or CineWhite 1.1 gain material and an Epson 5040UB? What is your sitting distance from the screen? My sofa is at 13'-6" and I'm wondering what the largest 16:9 or perhaps 2.35:1 screen I could use without going batty. I taped a 125" 2.35:1 and it look good, but I don't want to have any regrets. My room is 11'-5" wide X 18'-5" L.

Thanks fellas!
post #1331 of 1684 Old 12-11-2017, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 1813
This is AVS, going batty doesnt happen on any level. Go as big as you can, seating distance is all preference. Worst case if its too big you scoot back a foot or two. I sit 9ft from 120"

8hz ULF TR for the masses and the Cashless. Like a BOSS

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
post #1332 of 1684 Old 12-15-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techjoy View Post
Hi everyone.

I am looking for a 135-138" 16:9 AT screen, on a tight budget. These get good reviews on the web, so I might bite. Anyone using a similar sized screen with AT fabric or CineWhite 1.1 gain material and an Epson 5040UB? What is your sitting distance from the screen? My sofa is at 13'-6" and I'm wondering what the largest 16:9 or perhaps 2.35:1 screen I could use without going batty. I taped a 125" 2.35:1 and it look good, but I don't want to have any regrets. My room is 11'-5" wide X 18'-5" L.

Thanks fellas!
I sit about 10 feet from a 120" wide 2:35 screen. I had a 138" but it was too big so I went smaller. I'm definitely a bigger is better type, but we found that we were having eye strain and it made watching movies unenjoyable.

Also this is strictly my 2 cents, but you might want to just shoot onto a wall until you can afford a high quality screen. The AT material and image on my Horizon screen is so much better than the ST it replaced (at a high cost of course).
post #1333 of 1684 Old 12-16-2017, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
I sit about 10 feet from a 120" wide 2:35 screen. I had a 138" but it was too big so I went smaller. I'm definitely a bigger is better type, but we found that we were having eye strain and it made watching movies unenjoyable.

Also this is strictly my 2 cents, but you might want to just shoot onto a wall until you can afford a high quality screen. The AT material and image on my Horizon screen is so much better than the ST it replaced (at a high cost of course).
This the first I've heard of another screen material being highly superior to ST. I'm surprised after having read the wirecutter review that had Silver Ticket better than every other material they tested and performing only a little worse than the Stewart. The reviewer even says "In fact, measuring it against my own $2,700 screen made me wish I’d gotten the Silver Ticket instead."

What's going on here. I was all set to buy the ST.
post #1334 of 1684 Old 12-16-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
This the first I've heard of another screen material being highly superior to ST. I'm surprised after having read the wirecutter review that had Silver Ticket better than every other material they tested and performing only a little worse than the Stewart. The reviewer even says "In fact, measuring it against my own $2,700 screen made me wish I’d gotten the Silver Ticket instead."

With the 138" at 10 feet I could see the weave on the ST, but just barely. It created kind of a screen door effect in certain images. Mainly only during white letter credits which didn't bother me. I didn't notice it until I got the Falcon Horizon which has a tighter weave fabric and no screen door effect. Like I said it wasn't the image quality that made me return it, it was the wrinkles all around the edges. I went through two ST screens with this issue. I followed the assembly instructions to a T as well. ST uses springs to hold the screen tight to the frame. Falcon uses plastic strips that make the assembly easy and put less stress on the screen material.

This was just my personal experience and I'm not at all trying to dissuade anyone. Seems lots of people are happy with their ST AT screens. I loved my non AT ST grey screen. Hopefully if you get one it'll be nice and flat.
post #1335 of 1684 Old 12-16-2017, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 641
My ST 106" AT Screen is fine @12', I don't see SDE at all, and the material is flat.
I actually like the frame as well.
Happy with mine, especially for the price.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #1336 of 1684 Old 12-17-2017, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

Fairly new to projectors but I just bought a silver ticket thin bezel grey. After unraveling the material it appears more white then grey. Wondering if that is correct. If anyone has a grey and can confirm if it indeed looks more white. There’s no indication on the package that material is grey. Thanks in advance.
post #1337 of 1684 Old 12-17-2017, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3558 Post(s)
Liked: 2741
Quote:

All of the positive Silver Ticket reviews like the one at thewirecutter.com have been about the non-AT screen materials. I haven't seen any professional reviews of the ST AT material. But AT screens can be very fussy with the different weave sizes creating different moiré effects that can vary from installation to installation. So what works for one may not work for another.
muzz likes this.
post #1338 of 1684 Old 12-17-2017, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With the 138" at 10 feet I could see the weave on the ST, but just barely. It created kind of a screen door effect in certain images. Mainly only during white letter credits which didn't bother me. I didn't notice it until I got the Falcon Horizon which has a tighter weave fabric and no screen door effect. Like I said it wasn't the image quality that made me return it, it was the wrinkles all around the edges. I went through two ST screens with this issue. I followed the assembly instructions to a T as well. ST uses springs to hold the screen tight to the frame. Falcon uses plastic strips that make the assembly easy and put less stress on the screen material.

This was just my personal experience and I'm not at all trying to dissuade anyone. Seems lots of people are happy with their ST AT screens. I loved my non AT ST grey screen. Hopefully if you get one it'll be nice and flat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
All of the positive Silver Ticket reviews like the one at thewirecutter.com have been about the non-AT screen materials. I haven't seen any professional reviews of the ST AT material. But AT screens can be very fussy with the different weave sizes creating different moiré effects that can vary from installation to installation. So what works for one may not work for another.
Got it. Sorry I was confused and thought that the comment above was about the non-AT screens. Anyone feel like their seen non-AT material that was noticeably superior to ST?
post #1339 of 1684 Old 12-18-2017, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Comparable material from Stewart vs the ST Matte White 1.1 gain?

I currently have a 120" Silver Ticket White 1.1 gain screen. I noticed the Wire Cutter compared the Silver Ticket to the Stewart StudioTek 130G which has a 1.3 gain. However, I've never noticed any sparkling from the Silver Ticket, it appears to reflect evenly in all directions, and can be viewed even from extreme viewing angles. Thus, it appears to be a closer match to the StudioTek 100, since that material is a Lambertian surface with no maximum viewing angle. Indeed, I've found that for excellent results with a JVC RS-49 projector, the Silver Ticket requires a fully darkened room (dark walls, ceiling, carpet, seating). I had exceptional results with a room with complete light control, black velvet coated walls and ceilings, as well as a black rug, and dark furnishings.

The recommendation for the StudioTek 100 indicate that it is only for fully darkened rooms with total light control. Silver Ticket makes a similar suggestion but I see a lot of people using it in rooms with white walls and ceilings. Specifically, they say: "Best results occur with a dedicated theater with little no no ambient lighting and dark, matte-colored walls."
Perhaps it's simply that the StudioTek costs 10x more so it wouldn't make sense to use it in a sub-optimal manner.

I'm considering upgrading to a 120" screen with StudioTek 100 material and am wondering if controlling reflected light of walls/ceilings will be any more of an issue with the StudioTek 100 than the Silver Ticket. I have some samples on the way of the StudioTek 100 and 130, but I'm not sure how helpful that will be in answering my question. Any advice would be much appreciated.
post #1340 of 1684 Old 12-18-2017, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwc07 View Post
I currently have a 120" Silver Ticket White 1.1 gain screen. I noticed the Wire Cutter compared the Silver Ticket to the Stewart StudioTek 130G which has a 1.3 gain. However, I've never noticed any sparkling from the Silver Ticket, it appears to reflect evenly in all directions, and can be viewed even from extreme viewing angles. Thus, it appears to be a closer match to the StudioTek 100, since that material is a Lambertian surface with no maximum viewing angle. Indeed, I've found that for excellent results with a JVC RS-49 projector, the Silver Ticket requires a fully darkened room (dark walls, ceiling, carpet, seating). I had exceptional results with a room with complete light control, black velvet coated walls and ceilings, as well as a black rug, and dark furnishings.

The recommendation for the StudioTek 100 indicate that it is only for fully darkened rooms with total light control. Silver Ticket makes a similar suggestion but I see a lot of people using it in rooms with white walls and ceilings. Specifically, they say: "Best results occur with a dedicated theater with little no no ambient lighting and dark, matte-colored walls."
Perhaps it's simply that the StudioTek costs 10x more so it wouldn't make sense to use it in a sub-optimal manner.

I'm considering upgrading to a 120" screen with StudioTek 100 material and am wondering if controlling reflected light of walls/ceilings will be any more of an issue with the StudioTek 100 than the Silver Ticket. I have some samples on the way of the StudioTek 100 and 130, but I'm not sure how helpful that will be in answering my question. Any advice would be much appreciated.
I have a had a 158" elite screen and went to my current 158 ST non AT screen. Always thought I could get more detail out of my elite screen.

I am replacing my ST screen with a Stewart cima screen.

Is the ST worth the price....100% is. Is it as good as Stewart no way, 130 not even in same league. I clearly see arifacts in some scenes and noticed I couldn't get the detail I could on a elite screen, then I saw the difference on my buddies ST vs his new stewart screen and that is why I am ordering a stewart.

Colors are better and contrast is better but biggest difference is the level of detail the stewart screen has.

I am not bashing the ST its a great budget screen, nice built thick frame, good customer service but it will not give same picture as stewart. The screen material is just not as good period.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RF7II Fronts & Wides RC64II Center RB61II Heights & Surround back RF7II surrounds 2X Elemental design 15" subs Denon X7200WA 2X Emotiva XPA-5 epson 5040ub & 158" screen panny UD900 Full GIK treatments
post #1341 of 1684 Old 12-18-2017, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
I have a had a 158" elite screen and went to my current 158 ST non AT screen. Always thought I could get more detail out of my elite screen.

Is the ST worth the price....100% is. Is it as good as Stewart no way, 130 not even in same league. I clearly see arifacts in some scenes and noticed I couldn't get the detail I could on a elite screen, then I saw the difference on my buddies ST vs his new stewart screen and that is why I am ordering a stewart.

Colors are better and contrast is better but biggest difference is the level of detail the stewart screen has.

I am not bashing the ST its a great budget screen, nice built thick frame, good customer service but it will not give same picture as stewart. The screen material is just not as good period.

Also want to add stewart cima 1.1 gain actually measured 1.25 gain, very close to the 130's 1.3 gain and craig peer (dealer here) says it would be hard to see difference between the cima and 130 but cima is cheaper.

The ST 1.1measures under .90 not even 1.0. From measurements my calibrator measured and from online specs.

Craig Peer likes this.

RF7II Fronts & Wides RC64II Center RB61II Heights & Surround back RF7II surrounds 2X Elemental design 15" subs Denon X7200WA 2X Emotiva XPA-5 epson 5040ub & 158" screen panny UD900 Full GIK treatments
post #1342 of 1684 Old 12-18-2017, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Also want to add stewart cima 1.1 gain actually measured 1.25 gain, very close to the 130's 1.3 gain and craig peer (dealer here) says it would be hard to see difference between the cima and 130 but cima is cheaper.

The ST 1.1measures under .90 not even 1.0. From measurements my calibrator measured and from online specs.

I looked everywhere for an actual gain measurement on the Silver Ticket and couldn't find it. I couldn't figure out how they managed 1.1 gain without any sparkling artifacts; apparently the answer is they didn't. That's good to know because I was somewhat concerned the StudioTek 100 (1.0 gain) might not be bright enough.

I assume you are getting the Cima screen with the Neve material from your description (AccuCalAV report shows its gain is around 1.25, and it is described as a cheaper alternative to the 130).

One thing I noticed about the ST screen is that the material is not fully smooth. In bright scenes, this seems to result in an artifact best described as a textured pattern that looks like grain, but without the movement that grain exhibits. The StudioTek 100 is the smoothest surface I've seen, at least from online photos, and reviews indicate it has no discernible texture. However, I agree that the ST screens are 100% work their price.
post #1343 of 1684 Old 12-18-2017, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwc07 View Post
I looked everywhere for an actual gain measurement on the Silver Ticket and couldn't find it. I couldn't figure out how they managed 1.1 gain without any sparkling artifacts; apparently the answer is they didn't. That's good to know because I was somewhat concerned the StudioTek 100 (1.0 gain) might not be bright enough.

I assume you are getting the Cima screen with the Neve material from your description (AccuCalAV report shows its gain is around 1.25, and it is described as a cheaper alternative to the 130).

One thing I noticed about the ST screen is that the material is not fully smooth. In bright scenes, this seems to result in an artifact best described as a textured pattern that looks like grain, but without the movement that grain exhibits. The StudioTek 100 is the smoothest surface I've seen, at least from online photos, and reviews indicate it has no discernible texture. However, I agree that the ST screens are 100% work their price.
Yes, in bright scenes and even very dark scenes I see a sparkling effect, thought it was pixel shift on my Epson...nope its that ST screen material, its very textured almost like a vinyl sign.

post #1344 of 1684 Old 12-21-2017, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I have a Sony 385ES 4k projector incoming.

Is the Silver Ticket 1.3gain 135inch screen good enough for 4k? Or should I invest in something more expensive?
post #1345 of 1684 Old 12-21-2017, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthezor View Post
I have a Sony 385ES 4k projector incoming.

Is the Silver Ticket 1.3gain 135inch screen good enough for 4k? Or should I invest in something more expensive?
Really depends, is it a bad screen...no...is it a great screen nope. Is it worth $300 yes. Can the sliver ticket do 4K? Yes it can, is it actually 1.3 gain I doubt it. My 1.1 gain screen was at 90.

If your budget allows it and your willing to pay for the better quality go with below. I have had 3 screens and decided I want a higher-end screen so went with stewart cima.

Stewart cima nueve
Stewart 130 G3

post #1346 of 1684 Old 12-22-2017, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Why'd you switch from elite to ST if the elite was superior?
post #1347 of 1684 Old 12-22-2017, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why'd you switch from elite to ST if the elite was superior?
I had a 135" elite, then wanted bigger and thought why not get different screen. Figured it could be better and $200 cheaper and actually liked the idea of the thicker frame.

post #1348 of 1684 Old 12-22-2017, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had a 135" elite, then wanted bigger and thought why not get different screen. Figured it could be better and $200 cheaper and actually liked the idea of the thicker frame.

Got it (you had said 158" elite), but the elite was definitely better?
post #1349 of 1684 Old 12-22-2017, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Got it (you had said 158" elite), but the elite was definitely better?
For sure, the way the sliver ticket uses springs is not ideal either. The springs tend to not be equal, I had to use the higher spring rates and it was a real pain.

The elite clips in, much better.

The image had more detail, when focusing you can fine tune it much more than the ST. Elite also did not have many if any artifacts in picture.

post #1350 of 1684 Old 12-24-2017, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I've skimmed most of the second half of this thread and haven't seen this answered... can anyone compare the Grey and High Contrast materials?

I'm in the process of planning for a theater overhaul in the spring and most of it will center around an Epson HC 4000 and 115" 2.35:1 ST screen. I've mostly narrowed it to the Grey or High Contrast, but I'm trying to discern which, if either, would give the best results in a light-controlled room for general black level and HDR performance. Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page