Silver Ticket Screen? - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 204Likes

post #1411 of 1696 Old 02-21-2018, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thank you for the pics, it is helpful seeing how you did it. So you didn?t have to drill holes on the top of the frame. I was hoping to avoid it.

And you did say that the screen remains straight and there is no sway, I wonder if I did it with wires if it will remain straight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1696 Old 02-21-2018, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 641
No, I DID have to drill into the top of the screen, that black you see under those saddles IS the screen.,and those are self tapping screws.
It's not a big deal to ME, it's a great screen for the price, so I personally had no issues with drilling into it, and have been happy ever since.
My particular install only sways if I bump into it walking by, longer chain will sway more, but what's gonna move it much?

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #1413 of 1696 Old 02-22-2018, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
Thank you for the pics, it is helpful seeing how you did it. So you didn?t have to drill holes on the top of the frame. I was hoping to avoid it.

And you did say that the screen remains straight and there is no sway, I wonder if I did it with wires if it will remain straight.
As mentioned by DC in a previous post, I’d recommend using 2x4 between the joists and hang that way. The frame comes with hangers meant for a wall.

Rec Room: JVC x790 w/120" Silver Ticket screen, Denon x4400H 5.1.4 with Kef Q100 L/R, Q200 centre, T101 surrounds, Ci160er rear atmos, Energy Rc-Mini - front atmos, SVS PC-2000. Family Room: LG 65B7P OLED, Denon s730H 5.1 - Kef Q500, Q200c, Energy v-mini - surrounds. Calibration Gear: X-Rite i1Display Pro, Calman Home Enthusiast, trial & error, and a patient wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1414 of 1696 Old 02-22-2018, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So attach two 2x4 vertically, but long should those 2x4?s be? That should the easiest. I could wrap that with some black material or just paint the 2x4 black. What black paint can I use?
post #1415 of 1696 Old 02-22-2018, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The length of the 2x4 will be Room dependent, because of height-all rooms are different.
If painting, I'd use Flat Black.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #1416 of 1696 Old 02-22-2018, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am attaching a pic, to give you guys an idea of the room, the white line is the 2x4 from the ceiling and the rectangle is the frame. Is this how it should be?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HT screensize ST.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	864.5 KB
ID:	2365038  
post #1417 of 1696 Old 02-22-2018, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked: 1680
Quote:
I am attaching a pic, to give you guys an idea of the room, the white line is the 2x4 from the ceiling and the rectangle is the frame. Is this how it should be?
It's just of matter of personal preference, but I would run the 2x4 all the way to the bottom of the frame (there are two mounting points on the bottom rail as well as on the top rail.
post #1418 of 1696 Old 02-22-2018, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
It's just of matter of personal preference, but I would run the 2x4 all the way to the bottom of the frame (there are two mounting points on the bottom rail as well as on the top rail.

Sorry again for a noob questions, so I buy 2 - 2x4 (8 feet tall), how do I attach it to the joist, which screw will I need? I don't mind running it all the way to the bottom of the frame. Would the eyehook and wire be easier? that would require drilling on the top though, never mind, I feel like I might mess us the frame. How heavy is the screen once installed?
post #1419 of 1696 Old 02-22-2018, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I never used the brackets, aren't they for top and bottom of the frame (on the horizontals)?

post #1420 of 1696 Old 02-22-2018, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry again for a noob questions, so I buy 2 - 2x4 (8 feet tall), how do I attach it to the joist, which screw will I need? I don't mind running it all the way to the bottom of the frame. Would the eyehook and wire be easier? that would require drilling on the top though, never mind, I feel like I might mess us the frame. How heavy is the screen once installed?
You can attach the 2x4x to the joist with just about any 3" long nails or screws, going through the "flat" side of the 2x4. No modifications required to the frame, as you will be using the existing mounting holes.

Eyehook and wire will require drilling into the frame as muzz explained. The screen can also sway, if that's of any concern.

The screen is not heavy. You can check the weight on the Silver Ticket website.
post #1421 of 1696 Old 02-22-2018, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
I never used the brackets, aren't they for top and bottom of the frame (on the horizontals)?
The brackets are on the verical side. They hook on to screws on the wall.
post #1422 of 1696 Old 02-22-2018, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
...Would the eyehook and wire be easier?...
The easiest thing to try IMO would be simply: Eyehooks into the joists, chain to S-Hooks, bottom S-Hook into the built-in wall hangers.

Of course, with the screen hanging free like this it will move easily; might even do so with air movement from a forced-air heating system. Or if you have super subwoofers! But if you don't like it you've expended trivial energy & $ on the chain etc.

You will find the screen is not heavy and won't require very heavy chain at all.
post #1423 of 1696 Old 02-22-2018, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
The easiest thing to try IMO would be simply: Eyehooks into the joists, chain to S-Hooks, bottom S-Hook into the built-in wall hangers.

Of course, with the screen hanging free like this it will move easily; might even do so with air movement from a forced-air heating system. Or if you have super subwoofers! But if you don't like it you've expended trivial energy & $ on the chain etc.

You will find the screen is not heavy and won't require very heavy chain at all.

I will give it a shot, so I have to pilot drill first correct before the eyehooks go into the joists? I will go and get these materials and see how it comes out. As for the screen, a 135" should be fine for a 20x20 room, with 8 foot ceiling and 15-17 feet seating from the screen. I am one of those who doesn't sit in the front in a movie theatre, I usually sit somewhere in the back, not all the way, but a few rows from the back. I was watching some movies on the HBO app and it was full screen, no black bars at top or bottom, and I felt it was too big for my taste, but going 120" may be too small for my space. What do you guys do for the wall behind the screen, what black material do you use?
post #1424 of 1696 Old 03-20-2018, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I'm trying to decide between Silver Ticket and SeymourAV for an acoustically transparent screen in front of my baffle wall. If any of you have seen both, how much better do you think SeymourAV is? Since I've read that Silver Ticket doesn't send samples, I'm unable to test them both in my room.

post #1425 of 1696 Old 03-21-2018, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Have Silver Ticket stopped doing electric screens?

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Radiator)
post #1426 of 1696 Old 03-21-2018, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I'm trying to decide between Silver Ticket and SeymourAV for an acoustically transparent screen in front of my baffle wall. If any of you have seen both, how much better do you think SeymourAV is? Since I've read that Silver Ticket doesn't send samples, I'm unable to test them both in my room.
I wen through the exact same thought process a couple years ago. Because of the cost difference I decided to try the Silver Ticket screen first...less $$$ risked if I didn't like it. I've had it ever since!
Blue likes this.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #1427 of 1696 Old 03-21-2018, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I thought about SeymourAV for material for DIY, especially when I was considering going 2.35:1 and AT since Silver Ticket's prices jump up noticably for both AT and 2.35:1. If I'd gone the 2.35:1 route, I probably would have done DIY (my last screen was DIY and I was happy with the frame, just not the material). When I decided to scale back my projector upgrade plans and stick with 16:9 non-AT, I went with SilverTicket Grey... I made a modest size increase from 100" to 106" and snagged one from Amazon Warehouse Deals for almost 1/2 price. I've been EXTREMELY happy with it and it was likely a more noticeable upgrade (compared to DIY 2-layer spandex) than the projector itself. I'll recommend Silver Ticket, especially their non-AT, to anyone looking in this price range. For AT, from what I've read, the Seymour UF is likely worth the price and DIY effort.
Blue likes this.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #1428 of 1696 Old 04-03-2018, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So I got my screen put together and really am enjoying it. Just a couple of issues though. I got the 106 inch thin bezel screen. Once It was all put together it looked great and no wrinkles, until I put the black velvet frame on. Now two of the corners have a couple of wrinkles. Any ideas for fixing this? Thanks!
post #1429 of 1696 Old 04-08-2018, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I am thinking it is time to replace my TV with a projector and screen.

I went ahead and ordered samples from silver ticket. I am trying to decide between the silver or grey. My room have lots of windows and ambient light during daytime. It also has white ceiling and yellow walls. But most of the viewing happens in at night and ambient light would be minimal. I am tending towards alr(silver)

I am yet to decide on the projector.
post #1430 of 1696 Old 04-09-2018, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnpaul View Post

I went ahead and ordered samples from silver ticket. I am trying to decide between the silver or grey. My room have lots of windows and ambient light during daytime. It also has white ceiling and yellow walls. But most of the viewing happens in at night and ambient light would be minimal. I am tending towards alr(silver)

I thought I had read, either in this or another thread, that Silver Ticket doesn't send samples. How were you able to get them?

post #1431 of 1696 Old 04-09-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I thought I had read, either in this or another thread, that Silver Ticket doesn't send samples. How were you able to get them?

I went to their website and searched for the word sample. They offer it as a purchase. I added it to my cart but did not complete the purchase. The next day when I tried to order it was out of stock...but after I sent a note to support they added more stock within minutes. I placed an order promptly. It cost me about 6$including shipping.

I just checked again and it shows up in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blue likes this.
post #1432 of 1696 Old 04-09-2018, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would only go with Silver if ambient/reflected light is a major issue in your room... but from your description, it sounds like it may be even with lights off (reflected light from light-colored surfaces). You'll probably want to settle on a projector and then do some testing with the samples... brightness can vary wildly across models and have a big impact on which material might work best. Also, do some calculations at the web projector calculator to estimate FL brightness with different projectors, placements, screen sizes, and gains to get a better idea of which material may be best for you. Even if you have to go with a brighter projector, I'd try to avoid the need for the Silver screen material if possible.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #1433 of 1696 Old 04-09-2018, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

You may want to consider adding a retractable screen and PJ for nighttime use, and keeping your TV for daytime use. I'm assuming that you already have the TV. PJ's and daylight simply don't mix. There are ways to make it better, but none will give you the PQ of a TV for daytime viewing.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #1434 of 1696 Old 04-09-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
I would only go with Silver if ambient/reflected light is a major issue in your room... but from your description, it sounds like it may be even with lights off (reflected light from light-colored surfaces). You'll probably want to settle on a projector and then do some testing with the samples... brightness can vary wildly across models and have a big impact on which material might work best. Also, do some calculations at the web projector calculator to estimate FL brightness with different projectors, placements, screen sizes, and gains to get a better idea of which material may be best for you. Even if you have to go with a brighter projector, I'd try to avoid the need for the Silver screen material if possible.
Yes, I am worried about is the bright interior of the room, there would be quite a bit of reflections from the wall/celling. Once I get the projector, and the sample materials, I am curious to see how much better the screen materials perform in our environment. Especially what the ALR and grey screens can do with some amount of ambient light/bright walls.
Also occasionally there would be some light in the room, especially when we are watching NFL with friends or when we are sharing the room with kids etc.

A while back we ruled out using a projector due to the ambient lighting situation. But I am amazed by some of the images of the silver ticket screen in this thread with a quite a bit of ambient light including daylight through windows. So we are planning to give it another try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post
You may want to consider adding a retractable screen and PJ for nighttime use, and keeping your TV for daytime use. I'm assuming that you already have the TV. PJ's and daylight simply don't mix. There are ways to make it better, but none will give you the PQ of a TV for daytime viewing.
We are planning to move the TV to our living room. So yes, we will still be using our TV for daytime(or non-critical) viewing. I believe Silver ticket doesn't offer a retractable screen. And I haven't found any comparable ones in this price range. If there are good alternatives, this is something worth considering this will allow us to use the home theater system with both projector and TV.
post #1435 of 1696 Old 04-16-2018, 09:46 AM

Over the weekend we ceiling mounted our new projector. We also received the silver ticket samples.

So I just stuck them on the wall near the middle of the screen image.

The left one is white.
The middle is silver (alr)
The right is HC Grey.

Below are some images with lights.
Enjoy

Over all we liked the alr screen and HC Grey. With some daylight bleed added in to the mix HC image looks darker vs the alr, probably due to the gain divergence.

I think the consensus is to go with alr.

post #1436 of 1696 Old 04-16-2018, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think the consensus is to go with alr.
While the ST ALR (Silver) is quite effective in rejecting ambient light, I was bothered by the "sparkles", and the texture that is quite distracting during panning shots.
There were multiple posts in this thread related to this.
The HC Grey seems to be better in this respect, but there have not been many reviews.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 04-16-2018 at 10:31 AM.
post #1437 of 1696 Old 04-16-2018, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You might want to consider the regular Grey (non-HC) material... it'll offer a little more gain than the HC while holding black level much better than the white and without the sparkles/texture of the Silver.

post #1438 of 1696 Old 04-16-2018, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Right now i have the white screen trying to decide if i should go with the HC Grey with my new Sony ES285 ?

JVC NX5 Panasonic UB820 PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
post #1439 of 1696 Old 04-16-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
You might want to consider the regular Grey (non-HC) material... it'll offer a little more gain than the HC while holding black level much better than the white and without the sparkles/texture of the Silver.

We also tried regular grey. But it looked pretty much the same as white. So we removed it from from our comparisons altogether.

Our room has bright ceiling walls... Even the blinds are white. I think this gives the alr screen an edge in our scenario.

We preferred HC Grey during night with no lights. But we have no plans to change the wall color or treat the room. If this happens we would definitely go with HC Grey.

Hence we decided to give alr a try. The samples looked pretty good. But if we really end up hating it i believe we can order just the screen material to replace it.

post #1440 of 1696 Old 04-16-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
Right now i have the white screen trying to decide if i should go with the HC Grey with my new Sony ES285 ?

I posted some comparison images white vs HC.
HC Grey was definitely the winner. We have quite a bit of reflected light. So blacks in a bright screen appears as Grey on the white sample. HC definitely wins here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page