Silver Ticket Screen? - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 207Likes

post #1441 of 1705 Old 04-16-2018, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnpaul View Post
I posted some comparison images white vs HC.
HC Grey was definitely the winner. We have quite a bit of reflected light. So blacks in a bright screen appears as Grey on the white sample. HC definitely wins here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just curious which projector you used ?

JVC NX5 Panasonic UB820 PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1705 Old 04-16-2018, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
We also tried regular grey. But it looked pretty much the same as white. So we removed it from from our comparisons altogether.
That surprises me quite a bit... I have an old unused white 1.1 gain drop-down screen that's still installed and when I drop it in front of my Grey Silver Ticket, I see an immediate drop in black level retention.

That said, it sounds like the ALR might be indeed be the best for your given room conditions so, if you can handle the texture/sparkles, I would probably go that route as well.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #1443 of 1705 Old 04-16-2018, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
Just curious which projector you used ?
BenQ 2550.

So this is an entry level projector ( yes it has 4K and colors and resolution. But meh blacks ) on room with lots of wall reflections. So this is probably very different from the cave/velvet wall rooms that are so common around avs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
That surprises me quite a bit... I have an old unused white 1.1 gain drop-down screen that's still installed and when I drop it in front of my Grey Silver Ticket, I see an immediate drop in black level retention.
That said, it sounds like the ALR might be indeed be the best for your given room conditions so, if you can handle the texture/sparkles, I would probably go that route as well.
Yes, you are right. Sorry there is definitely a lot of black level improvement between white and Grey. What I really meant is when we tried out white/Grey/HC Grey side by side, and were to measure black levels white and Grey was on 1-3 scale and HC was 10. Silver was 6-7.
So we concluded white and grey is pretty much the same.

I will give it another try this evening and can post what a comparison image.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1444 of 1705 Old 04-16-2018, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
BenQ 2550.

So this is an entry level projector ( yes it has 4K and colors and resolution. But meh blacks ) on room with lots of wall reflections. So this is probably very different from the cave/velvet wall rooms that are so common around avs.

Yes, you are right. Sorry there is definitely a lot of black level improvement between white and Grey. What I really meant is when we tried out white/Grey/HC Grey side by side, and were to measure black levels white and Grey was on 1-3 scale and HC was 10. Silver was 6-7.
So we concluded white and grey is pretty much the same.

I will give it another try this evening and can post what a comparison image.

Thanks that's close enough for me if you could post some pics of 4K material that would be even better. I guess my next issue will ST sell me just the screen material since i already have own ST screen ?

JVC NX5 Panasonic UB820 PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
post #1445 of 1705 Old 04-16-2018, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 4883 Post(s)
Liked: 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
Thanks that's close enough for me if you could post some pics of 4K material that would be even better. I guess my next issue will ST sell me just the screen material since i already have own ST screen ?
ST will sell the finished material by itself.
post #1446 of 1705 Old 04-16-2018, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What I really meant is when we tried out white/Grey/HC Grey side by side, and were to measure black levels white and Grey was on 1-3 scale and HC was 10. Silver was 6-7.
What pattern did you use when measuring the black level? Was there any ambient light (existing or reflected from the screen)?
post #1447 of 1705 Old 04-16-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
What pattern did you use when measuring the black level? Was there any ambient light (existing or reflected from the screen)?

We did no tests/measurements. Just stuck the samples side by side on the middle of the screen.

Played some content and with our little eyes evaluated what we liked.

We probably have worst case room reflections. And we tested with lights on and with some amount of daylight

We ranked blacks in this order white/wall/grey/silver/HC.

the numbers I shared were not measured instead this is what it looked like with bare eyes. This is just our opinion about what we liked/how we felt in our room. I just put those fictional numbers to qualify how we felt.

post #1448 of 1705 Old 04-16-2018, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Over the weekend we ceiling mounted our new projector. We also received the silver ticket samples.

So I just stuck them on the wall near the middle of the screen image.

The left one is white.
The middle is silver (alr)
The right is HC Grey.

Below are some images with lights.
Enjoy

Over all we liked the alr screen and HC Grey. With some daylight bleed added in to the mix HC image looks darker vs the alr, probably due to the gain divergence.

I think the consensus is to go with alr.

Thanks for sharing. One thing that you should have considered is adjusting the projector for each type of screen sample. And then snapping the pictures.

For instance, if you ran through some tests patterns, your brightness and contrast color and tint might be different on a white screen versus the silver or gray. Well, brightness and contrast for sure would have been different.

I am assuming that you are using the out-of-the-box projector settings? Anyway, I just realized you have a DLP which will suffer in contrast. And black levels. So in that case going with the screen that boosts contrast would be a benefit to you.

-T
post #1449 of 1705 Old 04-16-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Thanks for sharing. One thing that you should have considered is adjusting the projector for each type of screen sample. And then snapping the pictures.

For instance, if you ran through some tests patterns, your brightness and contrast color and tint might be different on a white screen versus the silver or gray. Well, brightness and contrast for sure would have been different.

I am assuming that you are using the out-of-the-box projector settings? Anyway, I just realized you have a DLP which will suffer in contrast. And black levels. So in that case going with the screen that boosts contrast would be a benefit to you.

-T

Yes.we just ran the projector with out of the box settings. I will try to adjust the settings and take another look.

The whole purpose of the test was to see if we can control/limit reflections from the wall.

The biggest problem that we is our bright ceiling and walls, which we would like to keep as is.

post #1450 of 1705 Old 04-17-2018, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

The whole purpose of the test was to see if we can control/limit reflections from the wall.

The biggest problem that we is our bright ceiling and walls, which we would like to keep as is.
I got the HC Grey for our new 385 and could not be happier. Bought it sight-unseen from ST after having had a bright white screen for many years in a different HT, deciding that I wanted the best blacks I could get. And this even given that our room is light-controlled with deliberately dark and flat walls & ceiling.

Of course, side-by-side with a white screen the HC Grey will look "dirty" I suppose, but stand-alone the whites just look white.
post #1451 of 1705 Old 04-17-2018, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
I got the HC Grey for our new 385 and could not be happier. Bought it sight-unseen from ST after having had a bright white screen for many years in a different HT, deciding that I wanted the best blacks I could get. And this even given that our room is light-controlled with deliberately dark and flat walls & ceiling.

Of course, side-by-side with a white screen the HC Grey will look "dirty" I suppose, but stand-alone the whites just look white.
Any visible sparkles or textures?
post #1452 of 1705 Old 04-17-2018, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any visible sparkles or textures?
None. I do have the lamp on low fwiw.
post #1453 of 1705 Old 04-19-2018, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Over the weekend we ceiling mounted our new projector. We also received the silver ticket samples.

So I just stuck them on the wall near the middle of the screen image.

The left one is white.
The middle is silver (alr)
The right is HC Grey.

Below are some images with lights.
Enjoy

Over all we liked the alr screen and HC Grey. With some daylight bleed added in to the mix HC image looks darker vs the alr, probably due to the gain divergence.

I think the consensus is to go with alr.

Is it me, or does the wall actually look better than any of the screen samples?
chucky7 and Low Profile like this.
post #1454 of 1705 Old 04-19-2018, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a 150" Silver Ticket screen with the super-thin bezel the other day. I put it together with my father and I believe we did everything right. However, I see a noticeable 2" or so "line" in the very top of the screen, in the very center. This is where the two metal brackets in the back meet. I tried everything to make it go away but it won't. It looks like one of the brackets presses "out" further than the other bracket and it's creating that line, which worries me because that's probably going to leave a permanent mark. Does everyone's have this?

Last edited by Hamburglar; 04-19-2018 at 07:36 AM.
post #1455 of 1705 Old 04-19-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
Is it me, or does the wall actually look better than any of the screen samples?

Yes. The wall looks very good. But it has a texture which is pretty distracting.

We got the screen yesterday... 135' silver. It has some patterns on the screen material. It is visible on the screen and shows up during bright scenes.

I see that there are other people who reported the same issue on this thread.

I will be contacting the seller via Amazon to see if this can be fixed.

post #1456 of 1705 Old 04-19-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes. The wall looks very good. But it has a texture which is pretty distracting.

We got the screen yesterday... 135' silver. It has some patterns on the screen material. It is visible on the screen and shows up during bright scenes.
Any reason you went with the silver? In your previous post you said
Quote:
HC Grey was definitely the winner.
The ST silver is known to have sparkles and distracting texture.
post #1457 of 1705 Old 04-19-2018, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I see that there are other people who reported the same issue on this thread.

I will be contacting the seller via Amazon to see if this can be fixed.
Maybe they will send you a new one, but given that the wrinkles are at the very top (or bottom?) edge, I might decide that they're of no consequence, or maybe very carefully trying a warm iron (with towelling to protect the screen) and seeing if they can be ironed-out.

Just an idea before you go thru any PIA return process.

BTW I had some less-egregious "lumpiness" along the top of my own 125" HC material, which I didn't fiddle with except to make sure the stretching was all even, and over time these lumps have mostly disappeared (though honestly I could not see the lumpiness when projecting moving images, only when examining the screen itself ).

Last edited by Laserfan; 04-19-2018 at 01:43 PM.
post #1458 of 1705 Old 04-19-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:

We liked HC with no lights.
But with lights (especially with some daylight bleed through blinds) HC was too dark for our room and projector while the alr performed much better.

Also we have bright walls and ceiling. These two factors lead us to ALR.

Now that I have experienced the screen, I am perfectly happy with it except for the design. So given the ALR pros and cons, we are still happy with the choice.

I left the screen overnight...it looks better now. But the pattern is still visible. And Also shows up during a movie. Will inspect it as soon as I am back home after work.

The pattern is at the bottom of the screen.

post #1459 of 1705 Old 04-19-2018, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Quote:

We liked HC with no lights.
But with lights (especially with some daylight bleed through blinds) HC was too dark for our room and projector while the alr performed much better.

Also we have bright walls and ceiling. These two factors lead us to ALR.

Now that I have experienced the screen, I am perfectly happy with it except for the design. So given the ALR pros and cons, we are still happy with the choice.

I left the screen overnight...it looks better now. But the pattern is still visible. And Also shows up during a movie. Will inspect it as soon as I am back home after work.

The pattern is at the bottom of the screen.

Is that lumpiness at the top of the screen related to installation error?

I have the 135 inch white. It was a major pain in the ass to put together... I am anal retentive and was paranoid about not having the material stretched out properly. Sucks to be me, I know 🙂

Just mentioning it.

-T
post #1460 of 1705 Old 04-24-2018, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I have two acoustically transparent Seymour samples here already, and I just ordered the Silver Ticket samples too. Stay tuned for a comparison of the Silver Ticket AT versus the Seymour AT screens in a real world environment. I'm very confident, based on the reviews, that I'd be happy with Silver Ticket's regular screens. There isn't much out there reviewing the acoustically transparent version, however. We'll see . . .
Killroy likes this.

post #1461 of 1705 Old 04-29-2018, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 642
I'm interested in your impressions, cuz I have the much lower priced ST AT 106" screen.
I'm very satisfied with it, it's pretty solidly built, and it was pretty EZ to put together.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #1462 of 1705 Old 05-06-2018, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
How many of you guys got screen material that had dimples in them? I am not sure how to proceed now bc I bought a 150" 16:9 thin bezel screen. I put it together and the screen as vertical bands of dimples every 6" (horizontally). They sent me another roll of material, and that one is even worse with the dimples. So, they advised me to use the blow dryer method. I just spent an hr blow drying the screen, but I still don't see any difference.

How long does it take for those dimples to disappear? Any idea? I don't think the material could be defective since I now have 2 rolls of it and both have the exact same issue. They sent me an instructional video that explains how the dimpling happens (it made sense), but not sure if I should wait it out or what? My return window w Amazon ends tomorrow. Any suggestions?
post #1463 of 1705 Old 05-06-2018, 02:36 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3703 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Nissand,

If in doubt, avail yourself of the Return option.

With the Return Window about to expire, make certain that any Return Autorization where they will be picking the Screen up takes place within any set time frame listed.

If not, select "Deliver to Shipper" and Print out a Label, and get it there before the end of the Business Day.

Also, it's always best to check in with A-Prime Customer Service via Phone and let them know what is going to happen. They...and only they can waive a deadline and add a few extra days.

jbnpaul,

I've purchased several ST screens (8-9) and even painted upon them, but I've never seen anything remotely as bad as the images above. It almost looks like the Tension Rods were left out....or the material was sized just too big to allow for the degree of stretching needed to pull out the wrinkles / depressions on that particular Frame.

I can only say this. One such ST Gray screen I assembled was a 180"er, and it looked like a tightened Drum Head upon completion. So don't lose the opportunity to get an exchange.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #1464 of 1705 Old 05-07-2018, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I have two acoustically transparent Seymour samples here already, and I just ordered the Silver Ticket samples too. Stay tuned for a comparison of the Silver Ticket AT versus the Seymour AT screens in a real world environment. I'm very confident, based on the reviews, that I'd be happy with Silver Ticket's regular screens. There isn't much out there reviewing the acoustically transparent version, however. We'll see . . .
We tested this weekend using an old projector and a dvd (yes, not even 1080), with the projector close to the screen for roughly an 80" picture to compensate for the low res. The brightness of the XD was obvious. We were indecisive about the screen weaves. I suspect the low res had a lot to do with the inconclusive results. I just got my new projector, so I'll work to set it up and test it on the screen samples this weekend..

post #1465 of 1705 Old 05-07-2018, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissand View Post
How many of you guys got screen material that had dimples in them?...How long does it take for those dimples to disappear? Any idea? I don't think the material could be defective since I now have 2 rolls of it and both have the exact same issue. They sent me an instructional video that explains how the dimpling happens (it made sense), but not sure if I should wait it out or what? My return window w Amazon ends tomorrow. Any suggestions?
Only you can decide if you can live with the screen as-is. I had some minor dimpling in my 125" 'scope HC screen, but they were in a place on the screen and so minor as to not affect PQ afaicouldtell so I was OK with it. And now after a couple of months of hanging on the wall the dimples have moderated so as to be almost invisible in bright light.

When I inspected the HC material of my ST screen I was concerned about its strength i.e. would it survive the framing process. But on balance I learned that while very thin, it is also very strong, and yet as I said somehow it is losing its dimples over time.

Maybe all I've said is irrelevant to you--I can't find what your screen is made of.
post #1466 of 1705 Old 05-08-2018, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Assuming my testing of samples this weekend doesn't push me toward a more expensive option, I'm looking at Silver Ticket and am torn between their 142" diagonal and 158" diagonal options for a 2.35:1 acoustically transparent screen. First row eyes are 9.5 feet from the screen (9' 9" when reclined). Second row eyes are about 16 feet back. I will sit in the front row. I typically sit in the front third of a commercial theater. Any thoughts?

post #1467 of 1705 Old 05-10-2018, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked: 1829
Blue,
what screen id you end up going with for your JVC?
post #1468 of 1705 Old 05-11-2018, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 19
FYI I am showing all Silver Ticket screens as 10% off on Amazon this weekend - "Mother's Day promotion". You have to click the promo and the discount is taken at checkout.
post #1469 of 1705 Old 05-11-2018, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Assuming my testing of samples this weekend doesn't push me toward a more expensive option, I'm looking at Silver Ticket and am torn between their 142" diagonal and 158" diagonal options for a 2.35:1 acoustically transparent screen. First row eyes are 9.5 feet from the screen (9' 9" when reclined). Second row eyes are about 16 feet back. I will sit in the front row. I typically sit in the front third of a commercial theater. Any thoughts?
Silver Ticket does not cut on bias to reduce moire with their AT screens, correct? When you tested the screen was their any moire visible on your small sample?
post #1470 of 1705 Old 05-14-2018, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I replaced a dalite high power with a 125" matte white screen. Not too happy with how muddy the image is, even at night with no lights on. I do have white ceilings, they light up alot brighter than with the dalite. That seems to wash out the image more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	561.6 KB
ID:	2402322  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page