Silver Ticket Screen? - Page 53 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 205Likes

post #1561 of 1696 Old 09-04-2018, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hello,

I recently had a 135" AT thin bezel 4K screen come in from Silver ticket. When I installed it was extremely wrinkled and sent pictures to ST. It turns out they cut it too big and are now offering a replacement of a "new" material that is a spandex/cotton blend. I was told it is whiter but has the same gain and view angles with a tighter weaver.

I asked for specs but wasn't able to get anything back. Should I be worried about this new material not being as good as the PVC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1696 Old 09-04-2018, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 184
You guys see the announcement about the new 4K ISF Certified Screens from Monoprice at Cedi? Prices look decent. They even have a motorized in-ceiling version. Too bad they are all 16:9. Would be interesting to see how they compare to Silver Ticket’s screens. Hope someone does a comparison. Maybe wirecutter?

https://www.monoprice.com/pages/4k_projection_screens
post #1563 of 1696 Old 09-07-2018, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
You guys see the announcement about the new 4K ISF Certified Screens from Monoprice at Cedi? Prices look decent. They even have a motorized in-ceiling version. Too bad they are all 16:9. Would be interesting to see how they compare to Silver Ticket’s screens. Hope someone does a comparison. Maybe wirecutter?

Has anyone chimed in on this? Sounds like this screen would help better my picture quality versus my silver ticket

7.2.4 l Epson 5040ub Projector l Oppo 203 Blu Ray player l Denon AVR-X4300h l Def Tec BP9080 LR/Front Atmos l Def Tec CS9080 C l Def Tec SR9080 SL/SR/SBL/SBR l Monoprice 6.5 Rear Atmos l SVS PB-2000 dual setup l Panamax M5400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1564 of 1696 Old 09-10-2018, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post
So, after almost three years I took down my Silverticket 120" AT screen to find that almost a foot of the rod pocket binding at one corner had come loose. No clue how long it had been loose, since I haven't been able to see it since it went up. I remember being concerned initially that this was not sewn in place...just glued or heat bonded. Maybe I was right to be concerned....

I reached out the ST and was told that the one year warranty had expired. (Hard to find out the actual warranty period if you look on AZ, where I bought it though.) Suggested that I sew it up myself by hand, then offered me a 1/2 price replacement cloth.

I was an early adopter of this screen, and a pretty big fan. I posted in this thread to that effect, too. Now? Not so much. Here's the post: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...l#post38293833

IMO, this is clearly a manufacturing defect. I don't think most people would expect the seams to open up......ever.

So, here is the info, for anyone interested. I'm not trashing Silverticket or their products...just sharing what happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer181 View Post
Hello,

I recently had a 135" AT thin bezel 4K screen come in from Silver ticket. When I installed it was extremely wrinkled and sent pictures to ST. It turns out they cut it too big and are now offering a replacement of a "new" material that is a spandex/cotton blend. I was told it is whiter but has the same gain and view angles with a tighter weaver.

I asked for specs but wasn't able to get anything back. Should I be worried about this new material not being as good as the PVC?
I think Silver Ticket has a horrible to no Quality Control. Possibly why they can offer their product at a much cheaper price, they save on not paying for any Quality Control. The first non AT screen I ordered (can be found on this thread), the screen was too big. Had no tightness at all. Had severe wrinkles in it. Not normal wrinkles, but due to being so loose. I got a replacement from Amazon and it was better, but still not the best. Bottom left corner was very loose. I had to take a folded up piece of cardboard behind the pin so the stretch was a little more. I can still see it when it's hanging, but since MOST of what I watch is 2.35:1, it's not in the viewing area. I called Amazon and complained as it was Screen #2 with issues and I did NOT want to take it all apart, and have to try to fit it back in the box for a return. I ended up getting 40% off. So, at a 40% discount, I'd recommend Silver Ticket. At the current price, I would not recommend this company at all. I know others (most) have had great luck. But I'm not a huge fan due to lack of Quality Control. With that said, I do enjoy the image on the screen.
post #1565 of 1696 Old 09-17-2018, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:

Interesting indeed...

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Marantz SR7011: 7.3.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: F/L/SBR/SBL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SL/SR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Def Tech ProMon 1000 (4: Dolby Atmos) Epson 6040UB/Elite Lunette 2 120"
post #1566 of 1696 Old 09-17-2018, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Quote:

I thought perfectly smooth screens were avoided for a reason: hot spotting, glare, etc. If it was a good idea, the major manufacturers would be selling it already.
post #1567 of 1696 Old 09-17-2018, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2683 Post(s)
Liked: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
I thought perfectly smooth screens were avoided for a reason: hot spotting, glare, etc. If it was a good idea, the major manufacturers would be selling it already.
Perfectly smooth screens/surfaces usually only suffer from hotspotting or glare when that screen has a somewhat glossy surface.
A smooth screen with a matte top-surface shouldn't hotspot unless it has a boatload of very directional added gain (along with a projector throw-ratio that isn't long enough to make that directional gain uniform enough to the viewer/s).

I think slightly textured and somewhat glossy material was mostly common among cheaper manufacturers because it was both easier to produce or acquire and those materials made it a little easier to hide small imperfections at first glance (minimizing returns due to small scratches or manufacturing flaws that might be easier to spot on a smooth surface...Even though a smooth+matte surface ironically hides imperfections better when the projector is actually on).

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #1568 of 1696 Old 09-18-2018, 03:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Perfectly smooth screens/surfaces usually only suffer from hotspotting or glare when that screen has a somewhat glossy surface.
A smooth screen with a matte top-surface shouldn't hotspot unless it has a boatload of very directional added gain (along with a projector throw-ratio that isn't long enough to make that directional gain uniform enough to the viewer/s).

I think slightly textured and somewhat glossy material was mostly common among cheaper manufacturers because it was both easier to produce or acquire and those materials made it a little easier to hide small imperfections at first glance (minimizing returns due to small scratches or manufacturing flaws that might be easier to spot on a smooth surface...Even though a smooth+matte surface ironically hides imperfections better when the projector is actually on).
Why not just use a piece of gatorboard or ultraboard that is totally smooth, matte, white, and cheap? Can’t remember which is which, but I started a thread a while back on it. I’ll try to find it.
post #1569 of 1696 Old 09-18-2018, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Why not just use a piece of gatorboard or ultraboard that is totally smooth, matte, white, and cheap? Can’t remember which is which, but I started a thread a while back on it. I’ll try to find it.
Dunno about ultraboard, but I had a gatorfoam screen (smooth matte white) for many years along with my first front projector, and it was fine. But I had to find a supplier for the 10' material, have them cut it to 2.35:1 AR, and then get it home safely (used a utility trailer and a protective "sandwich"). Then I got some felt to apply as a border. Probably cost about $200 not counting the wear & tear on my psyche re: getting it home safe. Over the years I poked a hole or two into it, and patched but never painted it.

Now I have the STR-235125-HC which was $440 delivered and love it. I would never do the Gatorfoam thing again (it was originally intended as a temporary thing but I used it for 10 years) nor would I recommend it to anybody; if you can afford a HT with front projector, you can afford a decent screen as well.
post #1570 of 1696 Old 09-18-2018, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 4632 Post(s)
Liked: 1717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
Now I have the STR-235125-HC which was $440 delivered and love it.
What do you think is the gain of the HC materials? Is it brighter than a sheet of white paper placed at the centre of the screen?
post #1571 of 1696 Old 09-18-2018, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
What do you think is the gain of the HC materials? Is it brighter than a sheet of white paper placed at the centre of the screen?
Dunno DC but I think the gain of the HC material is <1.
post #1572 of 1696 Old 09-18-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dunno DC but I think the gain of the HC material is <1.
I think so too, from their website. Just to get some feedback from users what it looks like in actual use.
post #1573 of 1696 Old 09-18-2018, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think so too, from their website. Just to get some feedback from users what it looks like in actual use.
I'm not able to do any live testing (not at HT location) but subjectively speaking the HC does what I want, which has been to do a better job with dark movie scenes than my gatorfoam was able to.

It looks "dark grey" hanging on the wall, but once the show starts it just looks like you'd expect, and has "pop" to spare. My PJ is the Sony VPL-385ES in low lamp mode, and I have very good light control in my HT.
post #1574 of 1696 Old 09-18-2018, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm not able to do any live testing (not at HT location) but subjectively speaking the HC does what I want, which has been to do a better job with dark movie scenes than my gatorfoam was able to.

It looks "dark grey" hanging on the wall, but once the show starts it just looks like you'd expect, and has "pop" to spare. My PJ is the Sony VPL-385ES in low lamp mode, and I have very good light control in my HT.
Thanks. Most of the ambient light gets rejected, that’s why it looks dark grey. The question is whether it’s bright under projector light, which can be a concern with HDR.
post #1575 of 1696 Old 09-24-2018, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
I can do this experiment when I get to the house. I'm curious too. In absence of that experiment, I can say it looks fantastic! I noticed on white screens things can look a little white washed but not on the HC. I wonder what the silver looks like? My wife is a professional photographer and she vouches for the screens ability to produce bright whites and "TV Blacks". It doesn't produce "blacker than black" but it looks really good. All my HDR stuff has knocked my socks off. FWIW, I have a Kuro in the bedroom which I use as reference.

anseK®

Denon AVR-8500H | Optoma UHD60 | Xbox One X | AppleTV 4K
SVS Ultra Towers | SVS Ultra Center | SVS Ultra Surrounds | SVS Prime Elevation | SVS PB16 Ultra
post #1576 of 1696 Old 09-24-2018, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANSEK View Post
I can do this experiment when I get to the house. I'm curious too. In absence of that experiment, I can say it looks fantastic! I noticed on white screens things can look a little white washed but not on the HC. I wonder what the silver looks like? My wife is a professional photographer and she vouches for the screens ability to produce bright whites and "TV Blacks". It doesn't produce "blacker than black" but it looks really good. All my HDR stuff has knocked my socks off. FWIW, I have a Kuro in the bedroom which I use as reference.
Just makes sure you don't confuse "whiter" for "brighter" when doing this experiment... it's hard for such an experiment like this to be quantitative since the source is going to be calibrated for one material or the other, and a shift in color temp could easily be perceived as brighter when it's not necessarily the case once properly calibrated to the material.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #1577 of 1696 Old 09-24-2018, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. When you do, it would be interesting to put one sheet of paper near the centre, and another near a corner. Brightness variation may not be apparent when viewing normal material, but will be quite apparent with this test.

Forget about the silver. It’s really bad.
post #1578 of 1696 Old 09-26-2018, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks. When you do, it would be interesting to put one sheet of paper near the centre, and another near a corner. Brightness variation may not be apparent when viewing normal material, but will be quite apparent with this test.

Forget about the silver. It’s really bad.

Sorry for the delay. I had a west coast client distract me.

I had my daughter help me with these using my iPhone X. I was surprised by the difference in brightness! I used a sheet of regular laser printer paper that is matte finish. The iPhone doesn’t consistently capture the difference in brightness. I would say the paper was 15% to 20% brighter. Also the blacks get washed out with the paper.

I’m going to redo this after dinner with my wife’s help. She is a professional photographer and will use her Canon 5D Mark iii so you can see exactly what I see.

If the paper is anything close to a white screen, it very hard to product blacks on a white screen.

anseK®

SVS Ultra Towers | SVS Ultra Center | SVS Ultra Surrounds | SVS Prime Elevation | SVS PB16 Ultra
post #1579 of 1696 Old 09-26-2018, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I had my daughter help me with these using my iPhone X. I was surprised by the difference in brightness! I used a sheet of regular laser printer paper that is matte finish. The iPhone doesn’t consistently capture the difference in brightness. I would say the paper was 15% to 20% brighter. Also the blacks get washed out with the paper.

I’m going to redo this after dinner with my wife’s help. She is a professional photographer and will use her Canon 5D Mark iii so you can see exactly what I see.
Thank you. I don’t think the paper can emulate a white screen very well, when it comes to black. However, it does look like Silver Ticket’s rated gain of 0.9 is about right. The Elite Screen Cinegrey 3D looks similar to this but they claim it’s 1.3 gain!

If you’re taking pictures using a DSLR, please make sure it’s in Manual exposure mode, and the camera be located close to the viewing position. Also, as I mentioned previously, it would be very interesting to have some comparison shots near the corners of the screen, where I expect a much bigger difference.

EDIT: It looks like the last two of you posted pictures are from the corner of the screen.
post #1580 of 1696 Old 09-27-2018, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you. I don’t think the paper can emulate a white screen very well, when it comes to black. However, it does look like Silver Ticket’s rated gain of 0.9 is about right. The Elite Screen Cinegrey 3D looks similar to this but they claim it’s 1.3 gain!

If you’re taking pictures using a DSLR, please make sure it’s in Manual exposure mode, and the camera be located close to the viewing position. Also, as I mentioned previously, it would be very interesting to have some comparison shots near the corners of the screen, where I expect a much bigger difference.

EDIT: It looks like the last two of you posted pictures are from the corner of the screen.
We tried the DSLR this morning and we got weird color rainbows. My wife is researching why that is occuring, she only uses Canon L glass so it is not a cheap glass issue. I think it could be polarization but we are researching. The issue only occured when shooting the screen and not other objects in my theater. More to come.

BTW, the picture of the crocodile and the penguin body are 99% accurate to what I was seeing with the naked eye. With the toucan picture, the white letters were significantly brighter on the paper than they appear in the image. The body and neck of the toucan is pretty accurate (95% of what I saw).

anseK®

post #1581 of 1696 Old 09-27-2018, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We tried the DSLR this morning and we got weird color rainbows. My wife is researching why that is occuring, she only uses Canon L glass so it is not a cheap glass issue. I think it could be polarization but we are researching. The issue only occured when shooting the screen and not other objects in my theater. More to come.
The camera is capturing the DLP rainbow effect. Try using a slow shutter speed, something like 1/30s or even 1/15s.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 09-27-2018 at 09:15 AM.
post #1582 of 1696 Old 09-29-2018, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If the paper is anything close to a white screen, it very hard to product blacks on a white screen.

Would be interesting to see shots with and without the paper. I’m wondering if you are losing detail in the shadows on things like the birds feathers with the gray screen. Also it seems like there’s some fall off in brightness toward the edges with the penguin scene as I imagine that snow should be brilliant white even in the
corners (2nd to last picture).
post #1583 of 1696 Old 09-29-2018, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The camera is capturing the DLP rainbow effect. Try using a slow shutter speed, something like 1/30s or even 1/15s.
Makes complete sense, I should of thought of that. I'll get this done sunday. The wife is out all day today.

anseK®

post #1584 of 1696 Old 09-29-2018, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Would be interesting to see shots with and without the paper. I’m wondering if you are losing detail in the shadows on things like the birds feathers with the gray screen. Also it seems like there’s some fall off in brightness toward the edges with the penguin scene as I imagine that snow should be brilliant white even in the
corners (2nd to last picture).
I can do that. I would say there is a loss of detail with the paper because of wash out. The only loss is in brightness.

There does seem to be a slightly higher loss of brightness in the corners, maybe 2% higher.

anseK®

post #1585 of 1696 Old 09-29-2018, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can do that. I would say there is a loss of detail with the paper because of wash out. The only loss is in brightness.

There does seem to be a slightly higher loss of brightness in the corners, maybe 2% higher.
The corner loss is likely signicantly more. Judging from the snow on the third shot, the light drop off is more than a factor of two.

Were all the shots taken from the main viewing position (including height-wise)? It seems the previous shots may have been taken with the camera right in front of the paper as the paper was moved around. That would not provide a meaningful asssessment.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 09-29-2018 at 05:00 AM.
post #1586 of 1696 Old 09-29-2018, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I expect the corner loss to be signicantly more. Were all the shots taken from the main viewing position (including height-wise)? It seems the previous shots may have been taken with the camera right in front of the paper, as it’s moved around. That would not provide a meaningful asssessment.
They are from about 5' to 6' in front of the view position I can do them from the viewing position.

anseK®

post #1587 of 1696 Old 09-29-2018, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They are from about 5' to 6' in front of the view position I can do them from the viewing position.
The viewing angle (and hence the light falloff) for the corner shots varies significantly when the viewing distance changes. Even for the centre shots, taking the pictures at 5-6’ will likely result in a different vertical viewing angle compared with seating at the main viewing position.
post #1588 of 1696 Old 10-07-2018, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Screen Masking

Has anyone attempted Horizontal Boards wrapped in Black Velvet for Masking on these Silver Ticket Screens?

I thought about using 3/4" Foam Insulation Boards from Lowes/HD, wrapped in Velvet. I'm not sure the best way to Cut them for smooth edges. I'll also need to butt two pieces together for the 120" screen since they boards only come in 8' lengths. I'm thinking of using Wooden Dowels to somehow join the boards. Not sure about the mounting method yet. Thinking of gluing magnets to the back of the Foam. Maybe Cutting some boards just a bit thicker than the depth of screen to the wall with a piece of metal on it, wrapped in Velvet. Then allowing the Foam foam to connect to the Boards next to the screen with the magnets.

Anyone try anything like this or can offer some guidance?
post #1589 of 1696 Old 10-08-2018, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
Has anyone attempted Horizontal Boards wrapped in Black Velvet for Masking on these Silver Ticket Screens?

I thought about using 3/4" Foam Insulation Boards from Lowes/HD, wrapped in Velvet. I'm not sure the best way to Cut them for smooth edges. I'll also need to butt two pieces together for the 120" screen since they boards only come in 8' lengths. I'm thinking of using Wooden Dowels to somehow join the boards. Not sure about the mounting method yet. Thinking of gluing magnets to the back of the Foam. Maybe Cutting some boards just a bit thicker than the depth of screen to the wall with a piece of metal on it, wrapped in Velvet. Then allowing the Foam foam to connect to the Boards next to the screen with the magnets.

Anyone try anything like this or can offer some guidance?
Hi Tony,

I did something like this years ago with a CRT PJ when screens were transitioning from 4:3 to 16:9. I needed to mask the top and bottom of a 4:3 screen to 'show' the 16:9 area. I used a drapery motor to run it and a set of pulleys to raise a velvet-wrapped foam panel on the bottom. To make the longer width (120"), I found some aluminum U-channel that fit nicely over a 1/2" foam insulation board, and it was strong enough, while being light, too. A little duct tape to hold it in place, and then velvet wrap. For the top mask, I used a round aluminum pipe placed in a sleeve sewn into the top velvet fabric panel. Gravity helped it go down, and the drapery motor would easily pull it up. Took some trial and error and engineering to make it all work, but it would mask to 16:9 and 2.35:1, or any other constant-width ratio. Drapery motor (Somfy?) had built-in programmable stops, and an IR sensor, so my Philips Pronto would run it all easily.

Later on, as most TV became HD/16:9, it became kind of redundant and didn't get moved very often. I later went to an AT screen, with a fixed 16:9 ratio, so I retired the system. In my 'bat cave' HT, the few 2.35:1 ratio movies show some empty screen, but my JVC is dark enough that its really not noticeable.

So, your idea CAN be done, but it's not easy, and I'm not sure that with today's content that I would recommend the effort. However, it was really cool!

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #1590 of 1696 Old 10-08-2018, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post
Hi Tony,

I did something like this years ago with a CRT PJ when screens were transitioning from 4:3 to 16:9. I needed to mask the top and bottom of a 4:3 screen to 'show' the 16:9 area. I used a drapery motor to run it and a set of pulleys to raise a velvet-wrapped foam panel on the bottom. To make the longer width (120"), I found some aluminum U-channel that fit nicely over a 1/2" foam insulation board, and it was strong enough, while being light, too. A little duct tape to hold it in place, and then velvet wrap. For the top mask, I used a round aluminum pipe placed in a sleeve sewn into the top velvet fabric panel. Gravity helped it go down, and the drapery motor would easily pull it up. Took some trial and error and engineering to make it all work, but it would mask to 16:9 and 2.35:1, or any other constant-width ratio. Drapery motor (Somfy?) had built-in programmable stops, and an IR sensor, so my Philips Pronto would run it all easily.

Later on, as most TV became HD/16:9, it became kind of redundant and didn't get moved very often. I later went to an AT screen, with a fixed 16:9 ratio, so I retired the system. In my 'bat cave' HT, the few 2.35:1 ratio movies show some empty screen, but my JVC is dark enough that its really not noticeable.

So, your idea CAN be done, but it's not easy, and I'm not sure that with today's content that I would recommend the effort. However, it was really cool!
Hmmmm...aluminum U-Channel. I hadn't thought about that. I like that idea. good way to make a crisp line too. I'll have to see if my Lowes or HD have any U-Channel that will fit well over 1/2 or 3/4" foam boards.

99% of what I watch in my HT are Blu Ray movies. A huge portion of those are either 2.35:1, 2.39:1 or 2.40:1 (unless in real applications, they are all basically the same) and I have the black bars. Some of the older Disney/Pixar Movies were 1.78:1 I think. I recently added some velvet panels to the side walls about 6' out from front wall and covered the tops and sides of my LCR speakers in Velvet. Since I did that, the Black Bars on the screen are now MUCH darker than before, but can still be seen during a movie. It's definitely something I want to do. Oh, and I have a budget friendly PJ, so the bars aren't as dark as something like a JVC PJ

I found a person on a Klipsch Forum while googling Masking who used 3/4" foam board, and drilled holes into the edges with Dowels to connect the two pieces for a longer than 8' length. He then recessed some Rare Earth Magnets into the foam on each end. I'm not sure what he connected it to, but I'm thinking maybe wood blocks just thicker than depth of screen with a piece of metal attached to it and wrapped in Velvet and then attach magnetically. But if too strong, I'm afraid when I remove for a different formatted movie, I may break it.

What did you use to cut your Foam?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page