Silver Ticket Screen? - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 207Likes

post #1621 of 1705 Old 04-12-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley
...Mine had a horrible smell...

Hmm you make it sound just godawful, yet didn't mention it in your earlier post. How many days total, if you recall, were required for the smell to dissipate?

I might've noted a plastic-y smell when I unboxed my High Contrast, but the assembly and mounting/use of it are in my lower level, which is hot-water heated and has no cooling, thus no air ducts, and we never open windows so...I guess the warning for Viche is "YMMV" particularly as every different screen material is no doubt different one from the other. And since nobody yet has complained that theirs still smells, there apparently is no ongoing off-gassing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
This is just my opinion.....but 90" Projector screen is way too small. I had a 100" DIY Blackout Cloth Screen for 13 years. It served it's purposes. I recently purchased a new 1080p Projector and wanted to go bigger, at 120". I purchased the 120" 16:9 White Silver Ticket Screen and LOVE it. I have no experience with Stewart, other than seeing how expensive they are. Would never be an option for me. I read a good review of Silver Ticket from a professional Calibrator who ranked it near the top. Is it? No idea, but it's way better than my DIY screen. For me, I'd go with a much bigger Silver Ticket screen any day over a 90" Stewart Screen, but opinions will vary. I'm sure the Stewart will produce a better picture.....but will it REALLY unless room is ideal (complete light controlled, and I don't mean just ambient lighting, but felt darkening the room) and your Projector is calibrated perfectly?

Last edited by Laserfan; 04-12-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1705 Old 04-14-2019, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
Hmm you make it sound just godawful, yet didn't mention it in your earlier post. How many days total, if you recall, were required for the smell to dissipate?

I might've noted a plastic-y smell when I unboxed my High Contrast, but the assembly and mounting/use of it are in my lower level, which is hot-water heated and has no cooling, thus no air ducts, and we never open windows so...I guess the warning for Viche is "YMMV" particularly as every different screen material is no doubt different one from the other. And since nobody yet has complained that theirs still smells, there apparently is no ongoing off-gassing.
I left it in the room with the windows open for 2 or 3 days maybe. I can't recall exactly. I then moved it to my HT room and installed it on the wall. I recall there was still a smell, but wasn't as overwhelming as when I first opened it. It then took me a bit to install my mount and get the PJ up. So by the time I did all that, a week or so, I don't recall smelling much. Again, it's been a while so I can't remember exact days, but do remember the smell was horrible to me. But again, I am VERY sensitive to smells.
post #1623 of 1705 Old 04-15-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Profile View Post
I purchased a STR-169150 Silver Ticket 4K Ultra HD Ready Cinema Format (6 Piece Fixed Frame) Projector Screen (16:9, 150", White Material) a few months ago. Based on a number of comments I read online I was expecting there to be a smell and a smell strong enough to knock me over. Just wasn't the case. Not much smell to speak of at all and certainly no ongoing smell and it's a big screen.
Quote:
Our 125" HC had no "break-in" period other than to shed some wrinkles--no odor at all, either intially or since. My wife is particularly sensitive to any kind of smell and has never commented on it.
Quote:
I just read the others who responded about no smell. I don't get that. Mine had a horrible smell. I'm very sensitive to smells. Just to preface, my family calls me the Super Sniffer, as I smell things strongly that nobody else can smell at all. I put my screen together in my basement and had to open the windows. It was so bad that my nose was completely stopped up within about 10 minutes being near it. After I was finished, I left it in the basement room with the windows and left them open. I had a horrible headache that evening. I closed the windows that evening and for the next few days, I'd go open the windows and leave them open all day for it to air out as much as it could. I wanted to take it outside, but was afraid something would happen to the screen. After a few days, the smell was still present, but not nearly as strong as the first couple of days. It's now in my HT room with no windows and I don't smell anything.

Interesting. So which materials did you guys have?

Laserfan: HC
Low Profile: ?
tonybradley: ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1624 of 1705 Old 04-15-2019, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcubsfan View Post
Thanks MississippiMan and Laserfan for the advice! Will plan to go with the 135 - those are real cabinets, but they can't open now because of the placement of the current 90" screen. Will just have to mount a little higher up so we won't cover up the center speaker.

From my measurements, a 135" screen wouldn't go past the currently blocked ones but would still allow us to use the outside cabinets on either side.

When I told my installer I'm planning to go with the 135", he said we'll have to sit far back, but our seating is already 16' back so I think we'd be ok.
I'm back like 8-10ft from a 135" AT from Silver ticket and I have no problems. Grab the biggest screen that can fit in your vision, you won't be disappointed.
mdcubsfan likes this.
post #1625 of 1705 Old 04-15-2019, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
Interesting. So which materials did you guys have?

tonybradley: ?
Not sure. It is the STR-169120. White 120" 16:9 Screen.
post #1626 of 1705 Old 04-16-2019, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for all the help and input on size - I'm going to go with a 16:9 135" since it will physically fit in the room, looking forward to the bigger size!

But in choosing the material, had one more last question. In my picture, current screen is 90" diagonal. The black outline is roughly the size of the 135". I was thinking I'd have to mount it higher so that it wouldn't cover the speaker, but I guess in reading the woven acoustic would allow me to place the center speaker behind the screen? In our room it's pretty dark, and we watch the projector at night probably 95% plus of the time.

Is it recommended that I go with the white or gray and set the bottom of the screen just above the center speaker or is it better to go woven acoustic and put the center speaker behind? I'm not sure exactly where the installer will recommend setting the height of the screen (may depend on the physical setup). And even if the woven acoustic is supposed to allow sound to pass, from acoustic quality standpoint is it really better to still have the center speaker not covered by a screen? Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2588.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	497.7 KB
ID:	2553676  

Last edited by mdcubsfan; 04-16-2019 at 07:30 AM.
post #1627 of 1705 Old 04-16-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Thanks for all the help and input on size - I'm going to go with a 16:9 135" since it will physically fit in the room, looking forward to the bigger size!

But in choosing the material, had one more last question...
Just in case it's not occurred to you: another idea at least to consider is to get a 2.35:1 screen, which just eyeballing it might fit perfectly Above your speaker yet Between the outer cabinets. For many/most movies it would be awesome, although for 1.85:1 movies and TV it would be larger than you currently have but maybe not as large as you want.

But that is what I would do myself.
mdcubsfan likes this.
post #1628 of 1705 Old 04-16-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Not sure. It is the STR-169120. White 120" 16:9 Screen.

tonybradley: white (strong smell)

hmmm.....
post #1629 of 1705 Old 04-16-2019, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Any screenshots of the High Contrast material in action? Trying to choose between that and white. I have some ambient light, and white ceiling, but otherwise my walls are dark and my carpet is dark enough.

Projector is a Benq HT2050, and looking at 100" - 110" of screen.
post #1630 of 1705 Old 04-16-2019, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

hmmm.....
I linked to the exact screen I purchased. Do I really need to spell it out for you? *shakes head*
post #1631 of 1705 Old 04-18-2019, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

hmmm.....
Smells are different for everyone. Like I stated, I'm VERY sensitive to smells. My wife smelled it and said it was strong, but didn't really bother her.
It gave me a massive headache. I was out cutting grass the other day and there were some guys cleaning off a lot about 150 yards away from where I was. I could smell their cigarette smoke that far away. We are all different with our senses. Order it from Amazon. Take it out of the box and see if it bothers you. If it does, send it back.
post #1632 of 1705 Old 04-18-2019, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 198
I had no noticeable smell from my 106" 1.0 Grey, but it was also open box so that could have contributed.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #1633 of 1705 Old 04-19-2019, 02:43 PM

Sorry if people can forgive me, one last question - was just about to pull the trigger on a Silver Ticket 135" Woven Acoustic. But in one of the Epson 5050 threads I saw something about the seymour screens being the best for acoustic?

Does anyone know if I would notice a big step up in paying for a $1500 Seymour screen versus a $500 Silver ticket screen?

Room is pretty dark but we only use the projector at night time, so it's totally dark by then.

Epson 5050 projector will be set up 15-16' away from the screen, which would go in approximately the black rectangle as pictured.

More choices to paralyze my decision making - thanks for any help and suggestions.

Behind is a white wall and white cabinets as you can see, so was considering the added black. Current screen is 90"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2588.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	497.7 KB
ID:	2555596  
post #1634 of 1705 Old 04-19-2019, 09:22 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3609 Post(s)
Liked: 1672
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
The Seymour Screen is a bit better in most respects. $1000 better?

No.

And 2 Layered Spandex trumps them both acoustically speaking. It's only caveat is being 0.7 gain....however it's 2 layer White over Black construction provides the best Contrast of any, along with a absolute pristine image....no visible weave of pattern from just 12" away! And you have lumen to spare anyway.

Total cost of a 135" Zero Edged Spandex build.....approx $200.00. Well, ya gotta toss in a both of DIY sweat equity, but between the audio performance, visual quality, and extremely low cost....it's really no "sweat" at all.

Quote:
More choices to paralyze my decision making - thanks for any help and suggestions.
I didn't want to disappoint.
BTW...some exceptionally nice member Theaters use Spandex...so it's no DIY Slum case.
mdcubsfan likes this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #1635 of 1705 Old 04-22-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Honesty is best, and elicits like responses. We all started somewhere down the road.

Short & Sweet and directly to the point.

You have lumen output to spare....go for a ST-135" diagonal @16' Throw (...still up there at 43 foot lambert...)

S'what I would do iffin' I was you.
Quote:
Another vote here for the largest screen that fits. FWIW I used to have a 14' wide front wall and my 120" wide 'scope aspect screen fit-and-looked just fine against it.

It seems your screen fronts cabinets, so make sure the 135 still allows you to open/close at least the outer cabinet doors? Maybe they're fake!?
Quote:
The Seymour Screen is a bit better in most respects. $1000 better?

No.

And 2 Layered Spandex trumps them both acoustically speaking. It's only caveat is being 0.7 gain....however it's 2 layer White over Black construction provides the best Contrast of any, along with a absolute pristine image....no visible weave of pattern from just 12" away! And you have lumen to spare anyway.

Total cost of a 135" Zero Edged Spandex build.....approx $200.00. Well, ya gotta toss in a both of DIY sweat equity, but between the audio performance, visual quality, and extremely low cost....it's really no "sweat" at all.

I didn't want to disappoint.
BTW...some exceptionally nice member Theaters use Spandex...so it's no DIY Slum case.
Thanks so much for the reply and the help - when I talked to the rep at Seymour, he said that their black material behind the screen wold also cut down on any possible reflection from the projector. Is that something to be concerned about since I have a white background? He said that may reflect back and degrade the image....

I don't think the silver ticket has anything about any black material to counter this possible issue. (I think him bringing that up concerned me more than anything else)
post #1636 of 1705 Old 04-22-2019, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post
Any screenshots of the High Contrast material in action? Trying to choose between that and white. I have some ambient light, and white ceiling, but otherwise my walls are dark and my carpet is dark enough.

Projector is a Benq HT2050, and looking at 100" - 110" of screen.
Anyone?
post #1637 of 1705 Old 04-22-2019, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 4752 Post(s)
Liked: 1783
Quote:
I don't think the silver ticket has anything about any black material to counter this possible issue. (I think him bringing that up concerned me more than anything else)
The Silver Ticket acoustic screen does come with a black backing.
mdcubsfan likes this.
post #1638 of 1705 Old 04-22-2019, 08:30 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Thanks so much for the reply and the help - when I talked to the rep at Seymour, he said that their black material behind the screen wold also cut down on any possible reflection from the projector. Is that something to be concerned about since I have a white background? He said that may reflect back and degrade the image....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
The Silver Ticket acoustic screen does come with a black backing.

Using a Black background has been the accepted practice for some time. Only that, for the majority of time, it didn't involve another layer of fabric (...for fear of worsening AT performance...) but rather painting the Wall behind Black, or placing a Dark material on the back wall....behind the speakers...of course.

Once a few Mfg did try a black backer, their AT performance suffered accordingly, yet it became an accepted caveat anyway due to the need of such. But visual performance also took a hit. Morie problems arose with Perforated Screens because of the "Black Dots" set against a overlying White surface...and Weaved screens only did a bit better....but only when the weave was laid out diagonally.

Bluntly put....if you opt for a inexpensive AT Screen such as the ST, you will be getting a less accurate AT experience. Will you notice it? Probably not.....and while I'm not aware of the ST-AT Screen's construction, and as to if the Black backing is a unified assembly with the Screen material, my gut tells me you could mitigate the AT accuracy loss of the ST-AT by replacing the material behind the Screen with stretched Black Milliskin Spandex....as it is seriously doubtful the material that is being used as the Black backing is as AT as the spandex is.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #1639 of 1705 Old 04-22-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Bluntly put....if you opt for a inexpensive AT Screen such as the ST, you will be getting a less accurate AT experience. Will you notice it? Probably not.....and while I'm not aware of the ST-AT Screen's construction, and as to if the Black backing is a unified assembly with the Screen material, my gut tells me you could mitigate the AT accuracy loss of the ST-AT by replacing the material behind the Screen with stretched Black Milliskin Spandex....as it is seriously doubtful the material that is being used as the Black backing is as AT as the spandex is.
The ST Black Backing is a separate piece that you can install optionally.
post #1640 of 1705 Old 04-22-2019, 10:58 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
The ST Black Backing is a separate piece that you can install optionally.

Well then, in light of the fact that unless someone steps up with some definitive info/specs/image on the ST BB, it would be well worth having the Black Miliskin Spandex on hand as a "best of & better than" alternative.

post #1641 of 1705 Old 04-22-2019, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well then, in light of the fact that unless someone steps up with some definitive info/specs/image on the ST BB, it would be well worth having the Black Miliskin Spandex on hand as a "best of & better than" alternative.
I have not used ST acoustic and can’t comment on the quality, good or bad. I was just answering some specific questions that people asked.
post #1642 of 1705 Old 04-22-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1575
I'm also using ST 120 inch 16x9 white screen. Its not AT screen. I've been thinking to put my center behind screen for increased dialog performance and thinking about replacing the screen with spandex but still use the ST velvet border. Only issue I see is the veritical bar that runs in the middle of the frame which keeps it from bending. Has anyone kept the ST border and swap with spandex AT screen? Easy or difficult to do?

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
post #1643 of 1705 Old 04-22-2019, 06:12 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
I have not used ST acoustic and can’t comment on the quality, good or bad. I was just answering some specific questions that people asked.

Understood...I was merely using the stated content in your last post to qualify a point....which was since the ST Black Backer was separate, using Black Spandex would undoubtedly be better. Your input was very important!

post #1644 of 1705 Old 04-22-2019, 06:14 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
I'm also using ST 120 inch 16x9 white screen. Its not AT screen. I've been thinking to put my center behind screen for increased dialog performance and thinking about replacing the screen with spandex but still use the ST velvet border. Only issue I see is the veritical bar that runs in the middle of the frame which keeps it from bending. Has anyone kept the ST border and swap with spandex AT screen? Easy or difficult to do?

They have, using several different methods of attachment.

post #1645 of 1705 Old 05-19-2019, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I have a fixed 110" coming this week and am working on a mount. I would appreciate in someone could give me the "thickness" of the frame. Thanks in advance.
post #1646 of 1705 Old 05-19-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan ii View Post
I have a fixed 110" coming this week and am working on a mount. I would appreciate in someone could give me the "thickness" of the frame. Thanks in advance.
The frame depth is 1.25":
https://www.silverticketproducts.com...cts/str-169110
post #1647 of 1705 Old 05-19-2019, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Now I feel really stupid. I looked about everywhere, but stopped at useful links. Thanks much.
post #1648 of 1705 Old 05-29-2019, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Ready made Screen

I get that Spandex is the material of choice for DIY AT screen. However, has anyone had experience using one of the ready made options and is happy with both the sound and the image reproduction? I am looking for experiences with either 120 inches or 135 inches 16:9 diagonal size AT screen under $500.
post #1649 of 1705 Old 05-29-2019, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
I get that Spandex is the material of choice for DIY AT screen. However, has anyone had experience using one of the ready made options and is happy with both the sound and the image reproduction? I am looking for experiences with either 120 inches or 135 inches 16:9 diagonal size AT screen under $500.
After several years with a multi-layer spandex AT screen, I would try pretty much any purpose-built solution instead... the hit you take in gain is just not worth the attractive price. Going from spandex to a Silver Ticket Grey 1.0 screen was a night-and-day difference and I wouldn't expect their AT solutions to disappoint at all either.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #1650 of 1705 Old 05-29-2019, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
After several years with a multi-layer spandex AT screen, I would try pretty much any purpose-built solution instead... the hit you take in gain is just not worth the attractive price. Going from spandex to a Silver Ticket Grey 1.0 screen was a night-and-day difference and I wouldn't expect their AT solutions to disappoint at all either.
Hello - are you saying your experience was better with a ready made screen? Quite contradictory in this forum isn't it?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page