Silver Ticket Screen? - Page 57 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 207Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1681 of 1705 Old 06-17-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 6,946
Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4883 Post(s)
Liked: 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium View Post
I have already tested the ES Cinegrey 3D and 5D and did not find them to be significantly better than the plain white Cinewhite.
To benefit from ALR screens (such as the Cinegrey 3D and 5D) the projector needs to be amounted in such a position that you get the maximum brightness at your seating position. At other angles they won’t provide much benefit.
Dominic Chan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1682 of 1705 Old 06-17-2019, 01:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Solarium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I moved the projector to shoot to the middle of my current screen, and it did make a difference. I like the Elite Screens Cinegrey 3D, will the ST HC Grey be like it? I can’t find sample packs from ST for some reason.

HT: LG OLED65B7A, Denon AVR-X7200WA, B&W CM10 S2, CMC2 S2, CM5 S2, HTR-7000 x4 (atmos), SVS SB13 Ultra x2
Desktop: KEF LS50 Wireless, KEF PSW4000 (https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Fridge...s/#view=r2V6Mp)
Portable: Chord Mojo, Shure KSE-1500
Solarium is offline  
post #1683 of 1705 Old 06-17-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 6,946
Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4883 Post(s)
Liked: 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium View Post
I moved the projector to shoot to the middle of my current screen, and it did make a difference. I like the Elite Screens Cinegrey 3D, will the ST HC Grey be like it? I can’t find sample packs from ST for some reason.
Here’s the link to the sample pack:
https://www.silverticketproducts.com...terial-samples
Dominic Chan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1684 of 1705 Old 06-17-2019, 03:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Solarium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Here’s the link to the sample pack:
https://www.silverticketproducts.com...terial-samples
Sweet, they were out of stock but emailed them and ordered 2 sample packs to make the panels a bit larger

HT: LG OLED65B7A, Denon AVR-X7200WA, B&W CM10 S2, CMC2 S2, CM5 S2, HTR-7000 x4 (atmos), SVS SB13 Ultra x2
Desktop: KEF LS50 Wireless, KEF PSW4000 (https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Fridge...s/#view=r2V6Mp)
Portable: Chord Mojo, Shure KSE-1500
Solarium is offline  
post #1685 of 1705 Old 07-04-2019, 01:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt21484 View Post
Here is the screen in the day and a few freeze frames from tonight. Silver ticket 106" grey screen from a Epson 2030
How do you have what looks to be very minimal reflection with those white walls and ceiling?
Patrick Flaherty is offline  
post #1686 of 1705 Old 07-04-2019, 02:06 PM
Member
 
matt21484's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FoCo
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Flaherty View Post
How do you have what looks to be very minimal reflection with those white walls and ceiling?


It’s the grey screen which helps. Plus the way I focused on the bright image , the camera darkened the rest of the room a bit. I don’t see any reflections on the cream colored walls, but I do see some on the ceiling in brighter scenes. Overall, I’m real happy with the setup. I’ve been itching to upgrade to a 4K PJ, but I keep telling myself to wait for the native 4K ones to come down in the ~$1K price point


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matt21484 is offline  
post #1687 of 1705 Old 07-04-2019, 02:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt21484 View Post
It’s the grey screen which helps. Plus the way I focused on the bright image , the camera darkened the rest of the room a bit. I don’t see any reflections on the cream colored walls, but I do see some on the ceiling in brighter scenes. Overall, I’m real happy with the setup. I’ve been itching to upgrade to a 4K PJ, but I keep telling myself to wait for the native 4K ones to come down in the ~$1K price point


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
youre happy with the gray screen? did you try/compare to the white before you bought the gray?
Patrick Flaherty is offline  
post #1688 of 1705 Old 07-04-2019, 02:31 PM
Member
 
matt21484's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FoCo
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Flaherty View Post
youre happy with the gray screen? did you try/compare to the white before you bought the gray?


Yeah, I worked from home when I set it up and was watching a lot of content with high ambient light. I’m sure a white screen would be better, but it still looks great to me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matt21484 is offline  
post #1689 of 1705 Old 07-04-2019, 03:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt21484 View Post
Yeah, I worked from home when I set it up and was watching a lot of content with high ambient light. I’m sure a white screen would be better, but it still looks great to me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ive been scrambling to figure out this whole home theater and keep hearing the light walls will reflect and i have seen some pictures where this is the case. You have me excited in a way that possibly a gray or ambient light screen could do me some good. The issue with the SilverTicket gray vs white is double the price... I wont have high or really any ambient light (very little tbh) however I worry about surround wall reflections off ceiling and walls.
Patrick Flaherty is offline  
post #1690 of 1705 Old 07-04-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 8,354
Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked: 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Flaherty View Post
Ive been scrambling to figure out this whole home theater and keep hearing the light walls will reflect and i have seen some pictures where this is the case. You have me excited in a way that possibly a gray or ambient light screen could do me some good. The issue with the SilverTicket gray vs white is double the price... I wont have high or really any ambient light (very little tbh) however I worry about surround wall reflections off ceiling and walls.
If you have light-colored walls, before buying a screen it's often suggested to spend some time experimenting with a projector image on one of those light-colored walls to get an idea of what light from the image reflected off the other walls and back onto the image does to the image quality. There are in fact many people enjoying video projection on a white screen with light-colored walls. Of course dark-colored walls are preferred when viewing home video as they are in a commercial movie theater. But some people are way more sensitive to this than others so don't automatically assume you will be as sensitive as some folks giving you advice. Your own eyes are always the best judge of what works for you.
rjmcinnis likes this.
Dave in Green is offline  
post #1691 of 1705 Old 07-04-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 6,946
Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4883 Post(s)
Liked: 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Flaherty View Post
The issue with the SilverTicket gray vs white is double the price.
The difference in cost is minimal between matte white and matte grey - $250 vs $300, taking 120” as an example. It’s the High Contrast Grey that is significantly more expensive ($450).
Dominic Chan is online now  
post #1692 of 1705 Old 07-05-2019, 05:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
The difference in cost is minimal between matte white and matte grey - $250 vs $300, taking 120” as an example. It’s the High Contrast Grey that is significantly more expensive ($450).
Yes, I apologize i meant white vs high contrast.
Dominic Chan likes this.
Patrick Flaherty is offline  
post #1693 of 1705 Old 07-05-2019, 06:53 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 22,114
Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3702 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Flaherty View Post
How do you have what looks to be very minimal reflection with those white walls and ceiling?
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt21484 View Post
It’s the grey screen which helps. Plus the way I focused on the bright image , the camera darkened the rest of the room a bit. I don’t see any reflections on the cream colored walls, but I do see some on the ceiling in brighter scenes. Overall, I’m real happy with the setup. I’ve been itching to upgrade to a 4K PJ, but I keep telling myself to wait for the native 4K ones to come down in the ~$1K price point

The only way a Grey screen helps prevent reflections would be through attenuating the light output of the Screen, therein reducing the intensity of the light reaching the adjoining surfaces. Your confusing the retention of Black levels with the reflection index of the room.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Flaherty View Post
youre happy with the gray screen? did you try/compare to the white before you bought the gray?

Satisfaction between a Grey or White screen almost always revolves around first; how much...or how little the shade / depth of Grey attenuates the intensity of the projected colors and the brightness / correctness of the Whites....and 2nd; how much lumen output is available to compensate for attenuation related losses.


The reason (primary) that a Grey Screen is usually considered is to offset ambient light, either truly "ambient" as existing without the projected light figured in, or "reflected ambient light" off adjoining walls. Or quite often both. If one has light colored walls, and worse...light or white colored ceilings, those elements are what usually require a Grey to counteract the deleterious effects of such reflections on on-screen contrast and overall image dynamics.



Quote:
Originally Posted by matt21484 View Post
Yeah, I worked from home when I set it up and was watching a lot of content with high ambient light. I’m sure a white screen would be better, but it still looks great to me.

That last would be a wrongful assumption. If you have High levels of ambient light, watching content on any white screen except one that was either extremely angular or retro reflective would be very detrimental to your viewing satisfaction. Even then...if the highest source of ambient light was coming from the opposite side of the room from the Screen...almost "directed ambient" if you will, then even a Retro Reflective screen would have issues. The real trade-off being that many ALR Screens depend primarily of rather sharply angled "Angular Reflective" properties to keep projected light beaming to the seating position, and that will greatly reduce the effect from side-ways and rearward oriented light intrusion.. But nothing can really take it all in stride except a very Dark Grey, sub-.0 gain surface being hit with a preponderance of Lumen. Usually to the point of near redundancy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Flaherty View Post
Yes, I apologize i meant white vs high contrast.

High Contrast Screens are usually designated as such by virtue that they can improve the perception of having a wider gulf between the darkest and lightest elements...and the do this by having a surface that is both Grey in shade as well as having a positive Gain index....usually at least 1.2 - 1.3


The truth being you don't see much of any referencing toward such applications anymore, as much if not indeed most of the emphasis is on ALR performance.


Nothing is better than addressing every possible issue that can detract from image quality...and that covers a lot of ground. PJ performance, room surfaces, lighting, screen design....and addressing all those issues in the best, most available and possible methods is the only way to reach a point of viewing nirvana.


Now there ARE viable solutions available...and some get more varied a job accomplished that others. Both Mfg and DIY applications exist, but unless you either ask for advice / suggestions, or find them yourself by doing a capricious amount of research.


Easier to ask......
But don't expect to find such varied and effective performance in a Silver Ticket product...they will be more specifically directed. Same applies to almost all Mfg products. Only in the DIY realm have we combined the best attributes together to give a applicable blending of performance...because in DIY we don't answer to the Marketing powers-that-be. We want it all in one package. !!!

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings

Last edited by MississippiMan; 07-05-2019 at 06:57 AM.
MississippiMan is offline  
post #1694 of 1705 Old 07-08-2019, 09:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
But don't expect to find such varied and effective performance in a Silver Ticket product...they will be more specifically directed. Same applies to almost all Mfg products. Only in the DIY realm have we combined the best attributes together to give a applicable blending of performance...because in DIY we don't answer to the Marketing powers-that-be. We want it all in one package. !!!
Is there a DIY section or do you have some reference for me? I would not be opposed to a DIY screen if it wasn't too difficult for someone who is 'average' in DIY projects. I feel the SilverTicket 120" screen for $250 could probably be done for half the cost, but not look as nice. I would be open to DIY recommendations as far as previous threads or suggestions on high quality fabric as well.
Patrick Flaherty is offline  
post #1695 of 1705 Old 07-10-2019, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
ckronengold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston Strong / Jersey Strong
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Worth upgrading?

Thinking about making a snap decision -- I have a calibrator coming next Thursday.

I'm in the middle of "breaking in" my Epson 5050. I've got about 50 hours on it, and trying to get as close to 100 as possible before the calibration.

Projector is 14'6" from the screen. Seating is 11' from the screen. Side walls are 5-8' away from edge of screen.

My current screen is a 110" 16:9 Silver Ticket grey screen. Been very happy with it, to be honest. My setup is in the basement, with 100% light control. I got the grey screen to help with contrast and color for watching movies if I kept a bit of light on for my kids. But now I'm feeling selfish, and any loss of color or contrast while watching Shrek for the 83rd time is sorta their problem.

Trying to maximize my HDR performance (and knowing I give up a significant amount of brightness to get the full P3 color spectrum with the projector's Cinema filters), I'm thinking about switching over to a 113" 2.35:1 white screen, for the increased gain.

Data and specs are all well and good, but would I be looking at any meaningful difference?

Fortunately the ST screens are plenty affordable, and thanks to some shipping issues with my current screen, I've got the frame and a second screen that is still in the box. So shouldn't be a problem to sell.

But I need to make up my mind pretty quickly. Can't have a calibrator come and then switch from grey to white.

Here's some pics from Aquaman 4k disc and Planet Earth 2 HDR 4k streaming from Netflix. Last week I painted the ceiling to help with the reflections. Its Anchors Away from Sherwin Williams.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	room1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	732.7 KB
ID:	2589622   Click image for larger version

Name:	room2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	2589624   Click image for larger version

Name:	room3.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2589626   Click image for larger version

Name:	room5.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	744.0 KB
ID:	2589628   Click image for larger version

Name:	room6.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2589630  

Click image for larger version

Name:	room7.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	736.5 KB
ID:	2589632   Click image for larger version

Name:	room8.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	2589634   Click image for larger version

Name:	room9.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	2589636  

Video: Epson 5050 / nVidia Shield / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850

Last edited by ckronengold; 07-11-2019 at 07:14 AM.
ckronengold is offline  
post #1696 of 1705 Old 07-11-2019, 10:24 PM
Senior Member
 
4fit?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burlington, NC
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
.... Last week I painted the ceiling to help with the reflections. Its Anchors Away from Sherwin Williams.
Can't provide any input on the screen selection as I only have experience with the acoustically transparent fabric. But just wanted to say nice job on the ceiling paint job. I'm planning to paint my room soon and nervous as hell about the ceiling showing roller marks (planning on SW Tricorn). So nervous in fact that I've considered hiring someone to paint the room, which I have never done before.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
ckronengold likes this.
4fit? is offline  
post #1697 of 1705 Old 08-23-2019, 01:47 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey!

I Will be in a completly light controled room with dark walls and roof. New to projectors and screens but thinking of the Epson 5040ub and a 2.35:1 screen. The room is 11.8feet Wide and about 20Feet Long. First row Will be around 9-10feet. How would a silver ticket acosutic woven 140" be from that distance?(BIG)

Onlyo 4k movies (pixel Shift but Still)

Would a Elite screen acosutic transparent be better? Thats My max budget currently
David98 is offline  
post #1698 of 1705 Old 08-23-2019, 06:21 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 22,114
Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3702 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David98 View Post
Hey!

I Will be in a completly light controled room with dark walls and roof. New to projectors and screens but thinking of the Epson 5040ub and a 2.35:1 screen. The room is 11.8feet Wide and about 20Feet Long. First row Will be around 9-10feet. How would a silver ticket acosutic woven 140" be from that distance?(BIG)

Onlyo 4k movies (pixel Shift but Still)

Would a Elite screen acosutic transparent be better? Thats My max budget currently
With either screen choice, it will be all about your own visual acuity.

A 140" 2.39:1 screen is 129" wide. So almost 11' essentially. Sitting at 10' distance puts you at less than a 1:1 ratio Screen width to viewing distance, and that is by most standards too close to NOT see the Weave in a inexpensive AT Screen in lighter colored areas (Pastels and Whites) ...or on almost any expensive AT screen for that matter. So if your going to crowd a screen that close (...and 10' away from 11' wide on a 2.39:1 screen is actually considered outside the limits...) and you want a clear looking surface, your choices are very limited. Price restraints? Even more limited.

You may well be best advised, being on a budget as you are, to consider Spandex on a DIY Frame. Among ALL other AT materials, only the V6 Dream Screen material has anything close to as fine a weave, but it is much more expensive than your budget allows at 140" diagonal. The same applies to AT sonic performance. Spandex & V6 are neck & neck. And again, if price is paramount...Spandex wins the prize.

So your own ability or willingness to consider a DIY Project will govern your choice.

Listed below are your least expensive choices.

Carl's Place sells a DIY oriented AT Fabric: https://www.carlofet.com/projector-s...-material.html
Approx. $180.00 @ 140" diag (not including cost of Frame)

Double Layered Milliskin Spandex (White over Black)
https://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/795
https://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/796

3.5 Yards of ea. $63.00 (not including cost of Frame)

Not even going to list the Dreamscreen V6 because the size you want would cost over $1K.

Be advised that among all the choices, your screen size and close in viewing are the limiting factors. As stated previously, that doesn't mean "you can't", only that there are choices you probably should...and should not consider.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
MississippiMan is offline  
post #1699 of 1705 Old 08-23-2019, 06:29 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the great responsen! Will move in october so will se about THE screen, maybe a 120" Will be more than enogh! Or even move back the first row!
David98 is offline  
post #1700 of 1705 Old 08-23-2019, 06:35 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
And about the budget, i have 1.5k$ budget for screen, but want the most bang for the Buck, if there is not much diffrence in a 500$ screen vs a 1500$ screen i Will pick the 500$ One! As i Said, new to this!
David98 is offline  
post #1701 of 1705 Old 08-23-2019, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
genaccmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 959
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
With either screen choice, it will be all about your own visual acuity.

A 140" 2.39:1 screen is 129" wide. So almost 11' essentially. Sitting at 10' distance puts you at less than a 1:1 ratio Screen width to viewing distance, and that is by most standards too close to NOT see the Weave in a inexpensive AT Screen in lighter colored areas (Pastels and Whites) ...or on almost any expensive AT screen for that matter. So if your going to crowd a screen that close (...and 10' away from 11' wide on a 2.39:1 screen is actually considered outside the limits...) and you want a clear looking surface, your choices are very limited. Price restraints? Even more limited.

You may well be best advised, being on a budget as you are, to consider Spandex on a DIY Frame. Among ALL other AT materials, only the V6 Dream Screen material has anything close to as fine a weave, but it is much more expensive than your budget allows at 140" diagonal. The same applies to AT sonic performance. Spandex & V6 are neck & neck. And again, if price is paramount...Spandex wins the prize.

So your own ability or willingness to consider a DIY Project will govern your choice.

Listed below are your least expensive choices.

Carl's Place sells a DIY oriented AT Fabric: https://www.carlofet.com/projector-s...-material.html
Approx. $180.00 @ 140" diag (not including cost of Frame)

Double Layered Milliskin Spandex (White over Black)
https://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/795
https://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/796

3.5 Yards of ea. $63.00 (not including cost of Frame)

Not even going to list the Dreamscreen V6 because the size you want would cost over $1K.

Be advised that among all the choices, your screen size and close in viewing are the limiting factors. As stated previously, that doesn't mean "you can't", only that there are choices you probably should...and should not consider.
Hello - the specs seem to be all over the place online. What is the minimum viewing distance you would recommend for the following screen sizes?

1. 110 inch
2. 120 inch
3. 135 inch

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
genaccmiller is offline  
post #1702 of 1705 Old 08-23-2019, 08:44 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 22,114
Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3702 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
The reasons for the wide disparity are:
  • Many still follow the Guidelines that were in effect 20 yrs+ ago, and that are still perpetrated by some large concerns such as THX. They are outdated.
  • When figures are offered up by individuals, they can be based upon several factors. Screen Type - PJ Resolution - Individual preferences - and more.
See Highlighted answers below. All are based on E-Shift 4K or Native 4K imagery and normal visual acuity. Got Lasic vision? add 3'+ to all figures (minimum) Of course some might want to experience a "IMAX-like" environment, while others can't stand anything closer than 1.5:1....or more.



Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
Hello - the specs seem to be all over the place online. What is the minimum viewing distance you would recommend for the following screen sizes?

1. 110 inch 8'
2. 120 inch 9'
3. 135 inch 10.5'

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
MississippiMan is offline  
post #1703 of 1705 Old 08-23-2019, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,456
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
Hello - the specs seem to be all over the place online. What is the minimum viewing distance you would recommend for the following screen sizes?

1. 110 inch
2. 120 inch
3. 135 inch

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
The reasons for the wide disparity are:
  • Many still follow the Guidelines that were in effect 20 yrs+ ago, and that are still perpetrated by some large concerns such as THX. They are outdated.
  • When figures are offered up by individuals, they can be based upon several factors. Screen Type - PJ Resolution - Individual preferences - and more.
See Highlighted answers below. All are based on E-Shift 4K or Native 4K imagery and normal visual acuity. Got Lasic vision? add 3'+ to all figures (minimum) Of course some might want to experience a "IMAX-like" environment, while others can't stand anything closer than 1.5:1....or more.
Is this based on the screen width or diagonal?

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
ereed is online now  
post #1704 of 1705 Old 08-23-2019, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
genaccmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 959
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Is this based on the screen width or diagonal?
Diagonal

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
genaccmiller is offline  
post #1705 of 1705 Old 08-24-2019, 03:25 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 22,114
Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3702 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Is this based on the screen width or diagonal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
Diagonal

That's right.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
MississippiMan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Screens

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off