Silver Ticket Screen? - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 225Likes

post #1801 of 1816 Old 12-17-2019, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm looking for a 135" screen for a JVC X790 with throw distance of 14 feet or so, in a untreated room that has a white ceiling, ceiling mounted about 18 inches long pole from mount), what would be the optimal screen?

I'm looking at the HC material ST screen, but open to other suggestions.

Also, should I be looking at a higher or lower gain screen? Thanks

HT: LG OLED65B7A, Denon AVR-X7200WA, B&W CM10 S2, CMC2 S2, CM5 S2, HTR-7000 x4 (atmos), SVS SB13 Ultra x2
Desktop: KEF LS50 Wireless, KEF PSW4000 (https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Fridge...s/#view=r2V6Mp)
Portable: Chord Mojo, Shure KSE-1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1816 Old 12-26-2019, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscool View Post
[

I used sticky tac around all the mounts and it quieted them all. I work it in and around the brackets and the frame and also put it between the brackets and the wall and any other high spots on the back of the frame that touched the wall.

But the screen still flutters with heavy bass but no noise.
Would you mind showing a picture of this? I’m getting rattles from my ST screen during moderate/heavy bass and wanted to try this method before going down any major rabbit holes.
post #1803 of 1816 Old 12-27-2019, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium View Post
I'm looking for a 135" screen for a JVC X790 with throw distance of 14 feet or so, in a untreated room that has a white ceiling, ceiling mounted about 18 inches long pole from mount), what would be the optimal screen?

I'm looking at the HC material ST screen, but open to other suggestions.

Also, should I be looking at a higher or lower gain screen? Thanks
Not an expert myself, but I’d imagine it’s hard to offer a recommendation without knowing if the room is light controlled. I will say at that size, I’d suggest shooting for something that’s got a mild amount of gain (like 1.3 or so) just to give you extra headroom for HDR. I’m currently using a somewhat roughed up silver ticket 1.1 white screen at 120” 16:9 with the same projector, and while I’m happy with the brightness, I think it’s approaching the bubble of minimum HDR brightness for me personally at my size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1804 of 1816 Old 02-03-2020, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
I received the sample kit and measured the gains of each material. The gain measurements are correct in relative terms, but the values are assuming 1.0 for the white paper. The R,G,B percentages are relative to the 1.3 gain raw material, as that's what I calibrated my projector to.

Material; Gain; R,G,B percentages

1.1 Woven Acoustic WAB: 0.74 98, 100, 101

Not surprisingly, the measured gains are less than the rated values, some significantly so. The worst one is the Silver material - 0.66 vs 1.5 for the matte side which supposedly is the front.
Interesting, I was considering the woven material for a friend's setup. I have samples of this, the Seymour XD and the AVS Science AT material. I was a bit hesitant to try the AV Science material because .8 gain (but a true .8) but after seeing this, the ST is actually lower than that.

The ST woven material also just seems off white and dingy, based on the sample I got. Does anyone who actually has the material agree with that, or is it a truer white? I thought perhaps I got a bad sample. Here is a picture I took of my samples. ST is top left, Seymour is bottom left and AVS Screen Science is on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.PNG
Views:	73
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2679688  
post #1805 of 1816 Old 02-03-2020, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 5583 Post(s)
Liked: 2250
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
Interesting, I was considering the woven material for a friend's setup. I have samples of this, the Seymour XD and the AVS Science AT material. I was a bit hesitant to try the AV Science material because .8 gain (but a true .8) but after seeing this, the ST is actually lower than that.

The ST woven material also just seems off white and dingy, based on the sample I got. Does anyone who actually has the material agree with that, or is it a truer white? I thought perhaps I got a bad sample. Here is a picture I took of my samples. ST is top left, Seymour is bottom left and AVS Screen Science is on the right.
As explained in my original post:

Quote:
The gain measurements are correct in relative terms, but the values are assuming 1.0 for the white paper.
Thus they can be compared with the others I measured, but cannot be compared with gains quoted by others in terms of small differences (less than 0.1). Based on your picture the AV Science material has the lowest gain of the three.

You cannot judge “dinginess” when viewed side-by-side with other materials. It just means the gain is lower.
tcramer likes this.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 02-04-2020 at 06:42 AM.
post #1806 of 1816 Old 02-16-2020, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Has anyone noticed that Silver Ticket has a new ALR option (different than the Silver or UST screen), priced more like SI? Has anyone seen these? The website has very few details about it.
post #1807 of 1816 Old 02-16-2020, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 2409 Post(s)
Liked: 1687
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post

You can't even see the weave in the AVS AT material in your images. I'm willing to bet you can sit a lot closer to that material where the ones on the left side you need minimum 12 feet to not see it. Does the AVS material have brand name?

Theater room: Sony 45es | 120" screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Outlaw Audio 976 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M | Funk Audio subs | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson Tech MAs | Surgex XR 315 | GIK room treatment

TV Room: Panny 60 inch | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Axiom Audio M60/VP150/QS8 |
post #1808 of 1816 Old 02-18-2020, 12:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
You can't even see the weave in the AVS AT material in your images. I'm willing to bet you can sit a lot closer to that material where the ones on the left side you need minimum 12 feet to not see it. Does the AVS material have brand name?
It's the DreamScreen V6 material that AVS is selling. There is a thread on it: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...ve-screen.html

Ross
ereed likes this.

SOURCE: multi-region Oppo BDP-103D & BDP-83
post #1809 of 1816 Old 02-18-2020, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
I use the ST AT screen in my theater...the weave is nonexistent from a foot or two away.
Also... the audio transparency is excellent as well..!
I dont use the black backing material that comes with the scree and i don't have any reflections either

Excellent screen especially for the money.

Orotund Desert Theater:14'x20'x10',100amp service, JVC RS620, 120" AT screen, Carada Masquerade Masking, OPPO-203 & Panny ub820, Anthem AVM60, Simaudio Moon Titan 7&5 channel amplifiers, ACInfinity Fans, L&R Polk SDA SRStl Fully built, CC 2 Polk RTA15tl in Custom Cabinets Fully build, SS-BS Triad Gold, 4 Atmos 3 way Core5's, Subs-miniDSP-HD2x4, 4 HSU VTF-15H-MK2, 2 Rows of 3 Seatcraft Excalibur Lx Seats and more.
post #1810 of 1816 Old 02-19-2020, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic7 View Post
Has anyone noticed that Silver Ticket has a new ALR option (different than the Silver or UST screen), priced more like SI? Has anyone seen these? The website has very few details about it.
Link?
post #1811 of 1816 Old 02-20-2020, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 5583 Post(s)
Liked: 2250
post #1812 of 1816 Old 02-20-2020, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 3971 Post(s)
Liked: 3142
That new ALR material is ridiculously high priced for Silver Ticket. I can't imagine many people paying those prices for something that doesn't even have a technical description. Silver Ticket rightfully gained its good reputation on the basis of good quality at low prices. Competing in the high end of the market is a different animal so Silver Ticket has some learning to do.
post #1813 of 1816 Old 02-23-2020, 08:00 PM

ST was kind enough to send me a sample of their new ALR material and frankly I am really really impressed. It has extremely wide angle horizontally, and narrow vertically (seems more like parallax which I haven't viewed). The overall gain is definitely less than 1, but there is no clear texture.

Will post more pictures when I have time to do a more detailed viewing. Heres a couple to start, full can light on as a torture from head on and very wide angle.

I need to find out how badly this hot spots as they don't post minimum throw, but it seems mostly angularly rejective in one direction
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20200223_205811_1582513165753.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	6.93 MB
ID:	2689250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200223_205821_1582513189404.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	3.93 MB
ID:	2689252  
noob00224 likes this.
post #1814 of 1816 Old 02-24-2020, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 3971 Post(s)
Liked: 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic7 View Post
ST was kind enough to send me a sample of their new ALR material and frankly I am really really impressed. It has extremely wide angle horizontally, and narrow vertically (seems more like parallax which I haven't viewed). The overall gain is definitely less than 1, but there is no clear texture.

Will post more pictures when I have time to do a more detailed viewing. Heres a couple to start, full can light on as a torture from head on and very wide angle.

I need to find out how badly this hot spots as they don't post minimum throw, but it seems mostly angularly rejective in one direction
At the price ST is asking, their new ALR material better be impressive. Their msrp for a 120" screen is a budget-melting $4,499.98 with current sale price of $2,259.98. If you dig deep enough into their website they do have at least a brief description of this new material:

Quote:
Ambient Light Rejecting (ALR)- 0.8 gain

Ambient-light-rejecting means that light coming from any angle other than perpendicularly from the projection surface will be absorbed. There is a micro texture, almost like the skin on a shark, that reject light that coming from either side or the top and bottom. It will only accept light coming from 90 degrees from the screen, such as a ceiling-mounted projector.

Seeing as this screen does not accept light from harsh angles, ST and UST projectors are not going to work with this screen.
post #1815 of 1816 Old 02-24-2020, 12:41 PM

Yeah the price is a little (ha) steep for something especially coming from Silver Ticket. I don't agree with that blurb, it is very clearly directional at least the sample they sent me. I'll try to capture that later. The biggest downside is the gain on axis does seem pretty low.

From what I can tell from my high contrast screen as well as all samples I've seen, Silver ticket makes great products at a great price: but they don't advertise specs well. They advertise High Contrast as lambertian but it is definitely ALR with a viewing cone similar to Matinee Wide, and lower on axis gain (but advertised as higher).

But that's all fine because the price is right. However if you're going to sell me a product for 1000+ then the specs need to be right in the marketing material.
post #1816 of 1816 Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ordered a Silver Ticket screen last week to replace my old Jamestown. After a few delays I received it yesterday and got it all setup.

I have to give it a little time, but initial impressions are that it is one hell of a lot of bang for the buck!
Laserfan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page