Has ANYONE tried the Elite Cinegrey 5D screen yet? - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #271 of 290 Old 04-08-2017, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Is it the "Designer Cut" raw material like this, or is it ready to mount with pockets etc?
Let me know if you are interested. I could do $450 cad shipped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 290 Old 07-09-2017, 04:14 PM

$350 canadian shipped for brand new 120" cinegrey 5d material designed to be mounted on ezframe or sableframe.
post #273 of 290 Old 07-13-2017, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Advice needed for ALR Screen

I'm going to be building my frame shortly and need some advice.
Projector Vivitek 1186 ceiling mount 14ft - 14.5ft from screen
Seating distance 13.5 feet. One long couch all seats face the screen wall.
Walls and ceiling are Benjamin more Revere Pewter(Greyish tan).
One big sliding patio door to the right.
One large window under the projector facing the screen wall.
I will get some window and door treatments, but am not looking for a cave.

Currently I'm projecting a 145" screen on to my wall. Picture is really good at night. I really don't want to go smaller than 135".

Not so many options at this size. Due to throw distance, I'm thinking Cinegray 3D or Carl's ALR. Looking for some opinions. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 290 Old 09-30-2017, 07:44 AM

$200 shipped in canada or $235 shipped to U.S for brand new 120" cinegrey 5d material ready to be mounted on ezframe or sableframe.

http://shop.elitescreens.com/ezFrameCineGrey5D-1.aspx

elite sells it for $420 us. This is a huge bargain.

Last edited by wolfslayer; 11-01-2017 at 06:07 PM.
post #275 of 290 Old 02-10-2018, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
Here's my preliminary review:

I recently ordered a 120" Starling Tab Tension version of the material and installed it last week. Unfortunately, when I lowered the screen for the first time I discovered that something had punctured through several layers of the fabric while it was still on the roller, creating a vertical series of small holes about a third of the way in from the left edge of the screen. I'm currently going through the RMA process to get a new one in. I figured since it was installed, I'd go ahead and put the thing through its paces, though.

First, a few thoughts about the Starling case and craftsmanship of the overall package. The case is minimalist and hides well enough in the room (as well as anything 11 feet long can). As compared to my previous DaLite Model C with HP 2.8 material, I would say that the case is considerably less beefy and less rugged. The same goes for the material. The HP material was very thick and sturdy, the Cinegrey 5D is basically a thin sheet of rubber. The DaLite had a woven black fabric masking/drop material, whereas the Cinegrey 5D just has black rubber. As an overall package, the Starling seems much more delicate and will need to be treated thusly. It is a budget option, after all. Putting all that aside, the motor is fairly quiet and smooth and I still think the package overall is a good value proposition.

As for the material itself: it does about what you'd hope/expect. I've also owned a Black Diamond 1.4 gain screen and used it as my primary screen for a couple of years. In terms of optical performance, the Cinegrey 5D material is roughly comparable to the BD 1.4 in a lot of ways. To compare the two directly, I'd say that the Cinegrey 5D is a little less prone to some of the drawbacks of the BD 1.4 (hotspotting is less apparent, sparklies/sheen is not as noticeable, viewing cone seems a bit more forgiving) but the BD has more real-world gain (I didn't measure, but my guess is that the Cinegrey 5D is closer to unity than the rated 1.5) and the BD does a bit better of a job of rejecting ambient light, especially from the sides. Of course, one thing plays into the other. The narrower cone and more noticeable texture/sheen of the BD are precisely the reason it does better at rejecting off-axis light and has more real-world gain. All-in-all, the Cinegrey 5D holds up admirably and shares many of the same attributes. If you're looking at the Cinegrey 5D as a budget-minded alternative to the BD materials, I'd say that's a pretty accurate description of what it is. There is also a strong color shift to the BD material (towards blue) which doesn't seem to be an issue with the Cinegrey 5D, at least to the naked eye.

I've seen mention of horizontal bands in the material on this forum, so I wanted to address that as well. I definitely noticed them on the model I received. My guess would be that because the material is so thin, these are actually impressions left by the roller bar itself as the bands seem to be regularly spaced and become more pronounced the closer you get to the top of the screen. They are definitely noticeable at times, especially in higher APL scenes. I wouldn't call them a deal breaker, but I could see how others might. I'm not expecting anything different with regard to the replacement as far as this issue is concerned and I'm prepared to accept it as a minor drawback in an otherwise strong value proposition.

I'll report back if I see anything notably different in my replacement screen (other than hopefully being free from punctures!) and will be happy to field any questions in the interim.
Did the horizontal wrinkles ever go away?
post #276 of 290 Old 02-19-2018, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 122
So, I?m looking at doing Elite Cinegray 5D/3D with a ceiling mounted Benq 2150ST, mounted 5 ft away. BenQ rep says this material isn?t meant for short throw use as it rejects ceiling light but he refuses to acknowledge that I?m not tabletop mounting it...is there any reason this material would be a bad fit for the described setup? It is angular reflective material, right? (With no lenticular ridges?)
post #277 of 290 Old 04-13-2018, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post
So, I?m looking at doing Elite Cinegray 5D/3D with a ceiling mounted Benq 2150ST, mounted 5 ft away. BenQ rep says this material isn?t meant for short throw use as it rejects ceiling light but he refuses to acknowledge that I?m not tabletop mounting it...is there any reason this material would be a bad fit for the described setup? It is angular reflective material, right? (With no lenticular ridges?)
Im in an identical situation. My projector will be about 6.5-7 ft away on ceiling and sitting area is about 7-8 ft. Really want to go with this material because of kids and this being shared family/HT room. Im eagerly awaiting some knowledgable feedback!
post #278 of 290 Old 04-24-2018, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I realize ultra/short throw projectors are not recommended. Whats the closest anyone has placed a projector? How was the hot spotting? Do you think if your able to keep a good mirrored angel to your viewing position this screen would still work? If not what would you recommend for someone in a moderate light controlled room and needs an electric flush mount screen?
post #279 of 290 Old 04-24-2018, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked: 1618
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdunham0514 View Post
I realize ultra/short throw projectors are not recommended. Whats the closest anyone has placed a projector? How was the hot spotting? Do you think if your able to keep a good mirrored angel to your viewing position this screen would still work?
The problem is that you can only achieve a good mirrored angle to your viewing position at a single point on the screen (usually the centre or slightly higher). Towards the edge of the screen, the reflected light is way off the mirrored angle.
post #280 of 290 Old 06-07-2018, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, anyone from US to help me get Elite Screen Designers Cut Cinegrey 5D to Europe? Thank you
post #281 of 290 Old 08-10-2018, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hi guys.

If one has an almost perfect blackout (with blackout curtains) in the living room, is there any reason to get a 5D / 3D - or any other ALR screen??

post #282 of 290 Old 08-10-2018, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
If one has an almost perfect blackout (with blackout curtains) in the living room, is there any reason to get a 5D / 3D - or any other ALR screen?
For the perfect viewing environment it’s not sufficient to just black out (block) the external lights. The walls, ceiling and floor covering also need to be black [EDIT: dark, non-reflective], otherwise the light from bright parts of the projected image itself will reflect off those surfaces and kill the contrast. An ALR screen will minimize such reflections and improve the contrast.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 08-11-2018 at 04:21 PM.
post #283 of 290 Old 08-11-2018, 08:28 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
"Almost" Perfect is pretty darn good......

Contrast as comes out of the PJ cannot be "Improved" at all.

Almost all ALR screens cannot "Improve" contrast as it hits/ reflects off the screen....just help to "Maintain". Now some very few can make Blacks stay significantly darker without dulling Whites and Colors*, but that is as much magic as can be expected. And usually the end result is Sparklies and Graininess.

* That aspect has always been at the forefront of advanced DIY painted Screen solutions I've created...

And in a fully darkened room, if the surrounding Wall / Ceiling surfaces are 5-6' way or more, the effects of reflections off those surface are minimal.

Of course much has to do with the PJ being used, and how bright it is, and how much Native Contrast it has. The deeper the Blacks produced, and the wider the Contrast ratio, the worse Ambient Light / Reflective light has to be to be deleterious.

And why....WHY do people keep insisting on Black Ceilings and Walls????

A very Dark Flat Neutral Gray, or almost any darker "Cool" Flat Color scheme will squash light reflection to a point of insignificance.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #284 of 290 Old 08-11-2018, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Contrast as comes out of the PJ cannot be "Improved" at all.

Almost all ALR screens cannot "Improve" contrast as it hits/ reflects off the screen....just help to "Maintain".
The OP has a JVC projector that does not need the native contrast "improved". I was referring to improving the "net" contrast relative to one in a poor room/screen, which would be far worse than what the projector is inherently capable of.
You may want to call that "minimizing the degradation", but to me “improvementl means the same thing if you're not caught up in the semantics.

Quote:
And in a fully darkened room, if the surrounding Wall / Ceiling surfaces are 5-6' way or more, the effects of reflections off those surface are minimal.
I am glad you have such a room, but I definitely don't have any room in my 3000 sf house where I can place a 10' wide screen and keep it 5-6' away the ceiling, floor, and both side walls. And I doubt many others do.
Ftoast likes this.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 08-11-2018 at 08:55 AM.
post #285 of 290 Old 08-11-2018, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For the perfect viewing environment it’s not sufficient to just black out (block) the external lights. The walls, ceiling and floor covering also need to be black, otherwise the light from bright parts of the projected image itself will reflect off those surfaces and kill the contrast. An ALR screen will minimize such reflections.
And improve the contrast.

ah.. I should have mentioned that my back, front walls and ceiling are painted in a dark neutral grey (65% black, 35% white - NCS-S 6500-N) while sides are a medium neutral grey at NCS S4500 with a drop of yellow to warm it up a bit.

- as it is - even on a hot summer day with strong sun, I can see some light leaking into the room at the side and floor where the black out curtains do not cover 100%.

But during this daytime, it is still so dark that I can not see my hand in front of my face (projektor off) and I need to use my phone to find the remotes on the table.... :-)

So for this reason, I start to wonder, if a light grey Da-Lite affinity would be a better choice, as I can now control the ambient light
post #286 of 290 Old 08-11-2018, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So for this reason, I start to wonder, if a light grey Da-Lite affinity would be a better choice, as I can now control the ambient light
Personally, I find the 0.9-gain light grey screens to provide negligible improvements over matte white gains.
post #287 of 290 Old 08-12-2018, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Personally, I find the 0.9-gain light grey screens to provide negligible improvements over matte white gains.

how about the 1.x ones then? :-)
post #288 of 290 Old 08-12-2018, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
how about the 1.x ones then? :-)
Well, to me 30% extra brightness is readily noticeable, but 30% increase in in contrast ratio is not that significant. Just my humble opinion.
post #289 of 290 Old 08-16-2018, 03:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, to me 30% extra brightness is readily noticeable, but 30% increase in in contrast ratio is not that significant. Just my humble opinion.

I see that the naming has changed from JKP Affinity to HD Progressive at Da-Lite. - and there is a 1.3 gain "high Contrast" screen material now with 20% ALR. This could be interesting :-)
post #290 of 290 Old 12-24-2018, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Widescreen Review Dec 2018 has a very favorable review of Elite CineGray 5D.

ericlhyman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page