Reasonably priced 150" 16:9 grey screen for room with some ambient light? Or should I just got with a white screen? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-01-2014, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I have a dark corner (14x21ft) of an open, ~2,000sqft space in our walkout basement. This space is mostly for the kids and entertaining/gaming, so it has to work during the daylight hours. It's the back corner of the basement, so it's reasonably dark to begin with - probably too dark to read a book without a light on, unless it was a really good book and you really wanted to read it biggrin.gif. There is no direct sunlight or windows in this part of the room either. Right now the walls are a light color, but I think I'll be repainting this section of the room a reasonably dark color.

The PJ is most likely the Optoma HD25-LV which should give me 21fL according to PJ central.

I want 3D to work well, but I'm not sure if I should be looking at a grey screen (due to ambient light) or a high gain screen for 3D.

Elite screens look good and well priced, but they don't appear to sell a 150" 16:9 grey screen.

Budget is $500-600 and I would prefer a fixed screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I would say, be very careful with entry level gray screens. A true high contrast gray screen is something you are going to have to pay more for. At the $500 range, you are simply going to get a screen that is going to make your image dimmer, that's all. Stick with the white screen at that price range.

By the way, I've tested the HD25-LV, and you are going have no problems with ambient light. LV stands for Living room, and they mean it. That thing is a light cannon.
steve71 likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-02-2014, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Thanks for that Greg. I ordered up the Elite screens 150" in their cinewhite material. Guess I can get some blinds or curtains if the ambient light is too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page