Help with Selection of Screen Size and Type - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-12-2014, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I am in the process of upgrading my screen and my projector (my projector is a JVC RS1). I posted elsewhere for sugestions on replacement projectors. Right now, it looks as if a JVC 4910 is a strong contender.

I appreciate your help in helping me select a replacement screen for my current 52" x 92" (106" diag.) Dalite Cosmopolitan Electrol with Video Spectra material (1.5 gain). My screen is now almost 15 years old (yep, it is old!). Here are my questions:

1. I am looking for screens with a 16:9 ratio. As I recall, there used to be "standard" Width and Height screen sizes such as 52" x 92" or 58" x 104". Today when I browse at different websites from manufacturers, I no longer see those "standard" sizes. Instead, I see ratios. Does that mean that there are no "standard" sizes and manufacturers will build any size as long as one maintain a given ratio? I currently have a 92" wide screen. Due to space limitations I can go to a maximum 100" wide x 56" high screen (115" diagonal). The old "standard" width of 104" will not work for me. By the way, I sit about 11 feet (132 inches) from the screen.

2. It looks as if Dalite has fallen out of favor judging the posts in this forum. Stewart appears to be a strong contender but I also see post about wrinkles, marks, etc. in Stewart screens that are only a few years old. Is there any consensus as to who makes the better quality screens today? Given my history, "I buy and hold" so longevity is a factor.

3. I read several posts highlighting the new Stweart Firehawk G4 screen, yet when reading the specs I see that it only has a gain of 1.1 versus the 1.5 gain that I currently have. Should I be concerned about the relatively low gain? What about quality issues (after all it is a new type of material)?

4. What other screens should I look at?

Thank you for your help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-13-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12685 Post(s)
Liked: 10316
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post

I am in the process of upgrading my screen and my projector (my projector is a JVC RS1). I posted elsewhere for sugestions on replacement projectors. Right now, it looks as if a JVC 4910 is a strong contender.

I appreciate your help in helping me select a replacement screen for my current 52" x 92" (106" diag.) Dalite Cosmopolitan Electrol with Video Spectra material (1.5 gain). My screen is now almost 15 years old (yep, it is old!). Here are my questions:

1. I am looking for screens with a 16:9 ratio. As I recall, there used to be "standard" Width and Height screen sizes such as 52" x 92" or 58" x 104". Today when I browse at different websites from manufacturers, I no longer see those "standard" sizes. Instead, I see ratios. Does that mean that there are no "standard" sizes and manufacturers will build any size as long as one maintain a given ratio? I currently have a 92" wide screen. Due to space limitations I can go to a maximum 100" wide x 56" high screen (115" diagonal). The old "standard" width of 104" will not work for me. By the way, I sit about 11 feet (132 inches) from the screen.

2. It looks as if Dalite has fallen out of favor judging the posts in this forum. Stewart appears to be a strong contender but I also see post about wrinkles, marks, etc. in Stewart screens that are only a few years old. Is there any consensus as to who makes the better quality screens today? Given my history, "I buy and hold" so longevity is a factor.

3. I read several posts highlighting the new Stweart Firehawk G4 screen, yet when reading the specs I see that it only has a gain of 1.1 versus the 1.5 gain that I currently have. Should I be concerned about the relatively low gain? What about quality issues (after all it is a new type of material)?

4. What other screens should I look at?

Thank you for your help!!

Give us a call and we would be happy to help match up a screen with your projector and room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs1 Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page