A short review of my new Stewart Cima Neve screen - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #91 of 120 Old 11-13-2019, 03:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Ok, I had a chance to watch some content on the Cima. I watched the first 6 minutes of Toy Story 4 and the final battle scene of Hobbs and Shaw, as well as Ready Player One. The first thing that I noticed was the absolute sharpness/clarity. It was like my old screen needed a prescription for glasses and my new screen is the glasses. In terms of screen texture, I looked really hard for it and the only time I could discern any texture was during very bright scenes, like sky scenes with clouds, but it was only noticeable if I was looking for it.The next thing I noticed was the improved HDR brightness. My screen has about 600 hours on the bulb and has definitely dipped down in terms of brightness. But with the Cima, it's like I have a brand new bulb and HDR really pops now. Based on what I saw, I think this unit is definitely closer to 1.2 or 1.3 in terms of gain vs the 1.1 gain reported, but that is totally a good thing. The third thing I noticed was how deep black levels are with this screen. I had good black levels before, but with the Cima, they are at a whole new level. In addition to great black levels (and great contrast for that matter), colors really pop on this thing as well. Honestly, it feels like I got a whole new projector this screen is so good. I expected it to be an upgrade, but I didn't expect it to be this much of an impact. I think this screen is easily worth twice or three times what it costs, it really is that good and that's no exaggeration. I wasn't realizing my projector's potential without it. That much is clear to me now.

When I place the Neve sample on my Cinema Vision, I see a slight elevated black level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 120 Old 11-13-2019, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
115"? in 16:9 format??

No, sorry. 115" 2.35:1 format, aka cinescope. I had been using a 16x9 110" before and would put up masking for watching widescreen movies, but realized I didn't watch very much 16x9 content so decided to switch over to a 2.35:1 screen to get a better experience.
post #93 of 120 Old 11-13-2019, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When I place the Neve sample on my Cinema Vision, I see a slight elevated black level.

I think the Cima Neve is somewhat susceptible to ambient light. I have a completely blacked out room with black velvet on the sidewall/ceiling, etc. For me, in comparison to my previous screen, the black levels are improved, so that's all I have to go on in regards to comparison purposes.
Craig Peer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 120 Old 11-13-2019, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
I think the Cima Neve is somewhat susceptible to ambient light. I have a completely blacked out room with black velvet on the sidewall/ceiling, etc. For me, in comparison to my previous screen, the black levels are improved, so that's all I have to go on in regards to comparison purposes.
did u get samples before buying the screen? i m asking cause i have a sample but i cant see any difference from my Carl's flexiwhite screen, but i refuse to believe that a $70 screen material will look almost identical to the cima neve , sometimes a sample doesnt show much difference but when u see the whole screen is totally different.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #95 of 120 Old 11-13-2019, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
did u get samples before buying the screen? i m asking cause i have a sample but i cant see any difference from my Carl's flexiwhite screen, but i refuse to believe that a $70 screen material will look almost identical to the cima neve , sometimes a sample doesnt show much difference but when u see the whole screen is totally different.

I did get samples, and when comparing to my Silver Ticket screen couldn't really see much if any difference. I think it was just too small for my eyes to really capture the differences. I took it on faith based on reviews and what others have posted, and it turned out to be a great decision.
post #96 of 120 Old 11-13-2019, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, sorry. 115" 2.35:1 format, aka cinescope. I had been using a 16x9 110" before and would put up masking for watching widescreen movies, but realized I didn't watch very much 16x9 content so decided to switch over to a 2.35:1 screen to get a better experience.

bummer. I was hoping that there was a 115" version, as I can go to ~116-117" with my current distance. Just to go as big as possible...

This could have been a deciding factor over the 108" Projecta HD Progressive 1.1 - but the ~230% premium over the HD Progressive 1.1 is a big hard to justify for 2" xtra an a slimmer frame.
post #97 of 120 Old 11-13-2019, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Stewart states 10% ambient light rejection for this material. I was testing a nighttime with no ambient, besides some reflections from medium grey wall on the Apple TV main screen with all the icons for Netflix, Vimeo, HBO etc... White is whiter than my yellowish Cinema Vision, but black levels seemed also elevated.
post #98 of 120 Old 11-13-2019, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
bummer. I was hoping that there was a 115" version, as I can go to ~116-117" with my current distance. Just to go as big as possible...

This could have been a deciding factor over the 108" Projecta HD Progressive 1.1 - but the ~230% premium over the HD Progressive 1.1 is a big hard to justify for 2" xtra an a slimmer frame.

Yeah, that's one of the things about the CIMA line, they only have certain sizes to keep the costs down. I was lucky with the size as it was perfect for my room size / viewing distance and throw capabilities.
post #99 of 120 Old 11-13-2019, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Stewart states 10% ambient light rejection for this material. I was testing a nighttime with no ambient, besides some reflections from medium grey wall on the Apple TV main screen with all the icons for Netflix, Vimeo, HBO etc... White is whiter than my yellowish Cinema Vision, but black levels seemed also elevated.

Well, if that's what your seeing with the sample in your environment, then I would keep looking. Perhaps an ALR type screen would be better in your setup. I came across this review from a few years ago and it sounded pretty good, but not sure if they still sell them or where to buy.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-screen-review
post #100 of 120 Old 11-13-2019, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
bummer. I was hoping that there was a 115" version, as I can go to ~116-117" with my current distance.
Yeah, same here! My ideal size would be 115” widescreen. With 115” 2.35 I would get even larger CinemaScope experience (a plus) but a much smaller IMAX experience or watching a few blockbusters in the widescreen ratio. A real dilemma for me, as I really like Cima material. By the way, with letter size samples, I can still see the difference between it and a White ST screen.
post #101 of 120 Old 11-13-2019, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
I did get samples, and when comparing to my Silver Ticket screen couldn't really see much if any difference. I think it was just too small for my eyes to really capture the differences. I took it on faith based on reviews and what others have posted, and it turned out to be a great decision.
that is interesting , it is exactly my experience , i cant see much difference with the sample i have, but i guess once its the whole screen the difference would be noticeable, i should take a leap of faith and just order it.
m0j0 likes this.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #102 of 120 Old 11-13-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 7194 Post(s)
Liked: 8592
Quote:
It's your room. Using the " flashlight test ", I has able to get blacks to look just as good on my StudioTek 130 and Cima Neve samples as they looked on my then Firehawk G3 and High Contrast Cinema Vision screens. By cutting reflections that washed out my picture. Black carpet and darkening the back wall helped a lot !
post #103 of 120 Old 11-14-2019, 02:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
It's your room. Using the " flashlight test ", I has able to get blacks to look just as good on my StudioTek 130 and Cima Neve samples as they looked on my then Firehawk G3 and High Contrast Cinema Vision screens. By cutting reflections that washed out my picture. Black carpet and darkening the back wall helped a lot !

So my CV has better reflected light rejection?

I see that for 95% of all movie scenes, the Neve and CV seem equally bright. Actually I have a hard time stopping the Neve "patch" most of the time. It just blends in brightness wise. But in full-white, like snowstorms scenes, I see the Neve is slightly darker than my CV. I am aware of the Jeff report, but my projector is not mounted on the ceiling, it is almost perpendicular - lens is within the screen material frame, so I see a picture on my CV that is clearly brighter than the HD Progressive 1.1 which was measure at 1.18. I do not see these elevated black levels with the HD Progressive 1.1.

I was assuming that higher gain would lead to "higher glow" from reflected light. E.g like turn on your smartphone in a completely dark room and a high gain screen would glow like a lighthouse...

After learning about "requirement" for HDR, it is down to the Neve vs HD Progressive 1.1 for me. I count the HD Progressive 0.9 out now. Colors seem better on Neve, but less sheen/shimmer on the HD Progressive.
post #104 of 120 Old 11-14-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
So my CV has better reflected light rejection?

I see that for 95% of all movie scenes, the Neve and CV seem equally bright. Actually I have a hard time stopping the Neve "patch" most of the time. It just blends in brightness wise. But in full-white, like snowstorms scenes, I see the Neve is slightly darker than my CV. I am aware of the Jeff report, but my projector is not mounted on the ceiling, it is almost perpendicular - lens is within the screen material frame, so I see a picture on my CV that is clearly brighter than the HD Progressive 1.1 which was measure at 1.18. I do not see these elevated black levels with the HD Progressive 1.1.

I was assuming that higher gain would lead to "higher glow" from reflected light. E.g like turn on your smartphone in a completely dark room and a high gain screen would glow like a lighthouse...

After learning about "requirement" for HDR, it is down to the Neve vs HD Progressive 1.1 for me. I count the HD Progressive 0.9 out now. Colors seem better on Neve, but less sheen/shimmer on the HD Progressive.
I have a sample of all of Da Lite's HD Pro materials here. The HD Pro 1.1 looks darker when compared to the Cima Neve. My projector is also not ceiling mounted. Hopefully Da Lite has fixed the HD Pro 1.1's leaching plasticizer problem. Also, the Cima Neve is generally less expensive.
post #105 of 120 Old 11-16-2019, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Ok, I had a chance to watch some content on the Cima. I watched the first 6 minutes of Toy Story 4 and the final battle scene of Hobbs and Shaw, as well as Ready Player One. The first thing that I noticed was the absolute sharpness/clarity. It was like my old screen needed a prescription for glasses and my new screen is the glasses. In terms of screen texture, I looked really hard for it and the only time I could discern any texture was during very bright scenes, like sky scenes with clouds, but it was only noticeable if I was looking for it.The next thing I noticed was the improved HDR brightness. My screen has about 600 hours on the bulb and has definitely dipped down in terms of brightness. But with the Cima, it's like I have a brand new bulb and HDR really pops now. Based on what I saw, I think this unit is definitely closer to 1.2 or 1.3 in terms of gain vs the 1.1 gain reported, but that is totally a good thing. The third thing I noticed was how deep black levels are with this screen. I had good black levels before, but with the Cima, they are at a whole new level. In addition to great black levels (and great contrast for that matter), colors really pop on this thing as well. Honestly, it feels like I got a whole new projector this screen is so good. I expected it to be an upgrade, but I didn't expect it to be this much of an impact. I think this screen is easily worth twice or three times what it costs, it really is that good and that's no exaggeration. I wasn't realizing my projector's potential without it. That much is clear to me now.
I’m thinking of upgrading from my Silver Ticket 120” white to something better. Is the Cima Neve that much better? Now that I’ve upgraded my projector to a JVC x790 - I’ve got the itch!

Rec Room: JVC x790 w/120" Silver Ticket screen, Denon x4400H 5.1.4 with Kef Q100 L/R, Q200 centre, T101 surrounds, Ci160er rear atmos, Energy Rc-Mini - front atmos, SVS PC-2000. Family Room: LG 65B7P OLED, Denon x1500H 5.1 - Kef Q500, Q200c, Energy v-mini - surrounds. Extra Gear: X-Rite i1Display Pro, Calman Home Enthusiast, HDFury Vertex2, & HTPC w/2080 Ti.
post #106 of 120 Old 11-16-2019, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyVee View Post
I’m thinking of upgrading from my Silver Ticket 120” white to something better. Is the Cima Neve that much better? Now that I’ve upgraded my projector to a JVC x790 - I’ve got the itch!
Yes, it really is that much better in my experience. I highly recommend it!
post #107 of 120 Old 11-22-2019, 11:15 AM

I bought my Stewart electric Cima Neve screen in September of 2013. It's just as good today as day one ! I shot these photos yesterday. No wrinkles, problems or issues after 6 + years !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stewart Cima Neve 1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	859.6 KB
ID:	2644134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stewart Cima Neve 2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	722.0 KB
ID:	2644136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stewart Cima Neve 3.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	712.3 KB
ID:	2644138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stewart Cima Neve 4.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	697.6 KB
ID:	2644140  
m0j0 likes this.
post #108 of 120 Old 11-24-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have a sample of all of Da Lite's HD Pro materials here. The HD Pro 1.1 looks darker when compared to the Cima Neve. My projector is also not ceiling mounted. Hopefully Da Lite has fixed the HD Pro 1.1's leaching plasticizer problem. Also, the Cima Neve is generally less expensive.

I agree that the HD Pro 1.1 is darker than Neve. Neve look equal in brightness is most scene when on my CV. But in bright white like snow scenes, it is slightly darker when viewed head on.

btw - can you explain why the pixel structure look notably sharper on the Neve than on the HD Pro? Both materials are super smooth texture free, although the Neve is even smoother, almost slippery.
post #109 of 120 Old 11-24-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I agree that the HD Pro 1.1 is darker than Neve. Neve look equal in brightness is most scene when on my CV. But in bright white like snow scenes, it is slightly darker when viewed head on.

btw - can you explain why the pixel structure look notably sharper on the Neve than on the HD Pro? Both materials are super smooth texture free, although the Neve is even smoother, almost slippery.
I don't know - must be in the formulation that Stewart uses to make their screen materials.
post #110 of 120 Old 11-28-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsBuddy View Post
You sir, have a beautiful room! Is there a thread with more pics?
You inspired me to start a thread - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-wh...e-theater.html
m0j0 and avsBuddy like this.
post #111 of 120 Old 11-29-2019, 10:28 AM

I still think it's great Stewart lowered their pricing on Cima screens. At least until new pricing comes out after the first of the year.
post #112 of 120 Old 11-29-2019, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Is something we are missing about Cima prices? I thought they are just having Black Friday sale.
post #113 of 120 Old 11-29-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsBuddy View Post
Is something we are missing about Cima prices? I thought they are just having Black Friday sale.
Stewart revamped their dealer pricing and shipping rates. And they are overall lower since Cedia.
post #114 of 120 Old 11-29-2019, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Stewart revamped their dealer pricing and shipping rates. And they are overall lower since Cedia.

By about how much? 10%, 20%?
post #115 of 120 Old 11-29-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
By about how much? 10%, 20%?
Without putting my wine down on a Friday night, i'd say around 10%. Every little bit helps !
m0j0 likes this.
post #116 of 120 Old 11-30-2019, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Without putting my wine down on a Friday night, i'd say around 10%. Every little bit helps !
That's awesome!
post #117 of 120 Old 12-02-2019, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

btw - I found the picture of my paint job. 65% neutral grey on front, ceiling and back. 46% warm grey on sides. The paint scheme is replicated on the back-wall, make it symmetric.

- on the pic it looks brighter because of the powerful floodlight I was using.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PaintScheme.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	2648366  
post #118 of 120 Old 12-02-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
btw - I found the picture of my paint job. 65% neutral grey on front, ceiling and back. 46% warm grey on sides. The paint scheme is replicated on the back-wall, make it symmetric.

- on the pic it looks brighter because of the powerful floodlight I was using.
You need some black on that back wall !
post #119 of 120 Old 12-02-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You need some black on that back wall !

How black?? I would that that the 65% grey you see would be enough on the back wall. - It is a living room afterall.
post #120 of 120 Old 12-02-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
How black?? I would that that the 65% grey you see would be enough on the back wall. - It is a living room afterall.
In that case maybe non reflective velvet curtains - red, blue, brown ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page