A short review of my new Stewart Cima Neve screen - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81Likes

post #121 of 132 Old 01-24-2020, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Craig I'm looking forward to seeing the Neve sample you are sending. I thought I was just about decided to order an AT screen but after looking at samples tonight of ST100 and ST130 I really wish for that brightness and nicer surface compared to AT weave, and I see that Neve pricing makes it a great value compared to the higher end Stewart materials. I basically have to choose between a very high picture quality and brightness with Stewart Neve, and keep living with the audio compromise of center channel not ideally placed behind screen, or choose the AT screen for perfect front stage audio placement but lower brightness and likely lower PQ. Tough decision.

Ross
Craig Peer likes this.

SOURCE: multi-region Oppo BDP-103D & BDP-83
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 132 Old 01-25-2020, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 7630 Post(s)
Liked: 9445
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post
Craig I'm looking forward to seeing the Neve sample you are sending. I thought I was just about decided to order an AT screen but after looking at samples tonight of ST100 and ST130 I really wish for that brightness and nicer surface compared to AT weave, and I see that Neve pricing makes it a great value compared to the higher end Stewart materials. I basically have to choose between a very high picture quality and brightness with Stewart Neve, and keep living with the audio compromise of center channel not ideally placed behind screen, or choose the AT screen for perfect front stage audio placement but lower brightness and likely lower PQ. Tough decision.

Ross

I went with the higher picture quality, and it shows with 4K !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rossandwendy likes this.
post #123 of 132 Old 01-28-2020, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

I received my Neve material sample (that was fast @Craig Peer , thanks!) and have been testing it out. I have to say this is a gorgeous material! Super smooth surface with almost no texture, significantly brighter than my Silver Ticket white that is rated at 1.1, much better skin tones, more pleasing and brighter colors. The Silver Ticket has a colder bluish bias that you may not notice until you have a top notch material from Stewart to compare. With the Neve it's as if a grayish-bluish viel has been lifted from the image and it is more alive.

Now I have to decide, Stewart Neve screen with center channel above or below, vs. Seymour XD AT with center channel ideally placed behind, plus the benefit of custom sizing and aspect ratio and magnetic masking panels. I'm really torn, both choices have pros and cons.

Ross
Craig Peer likes this.

Last edited by rossandwendy; 01-28-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 132 Old 01-28-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I received my Neve material sample (that was fast @Craig Peer , thanks!) and have been testing it out. I have to say this is a gorgeous material! Super smooth surface with almost no texture, significantly brighter than my Silver Ticket white that is rated at 1.1, much better skin tones, more pleasing and brighter colors. The Silver Ticket has a colder bluish bias that you may not notice until you have a top notch material from Stewart to compare. With the Neve it's as if a grayish-bluish viel has been lifted from the image and it is more alive.

Now I have to decide, Stewart Neve screen with center channel above or below, vs. Seymour XD AT with center channel ideally placed behind, plus the benefit of custom sizing and aspect ratio and magnetic masking panels. I'm really torn, both choices have pros and cons.

Ross
Well, here are more screen shots on mine - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post59162930
rossandwendy likes this.
post #125 of 132 Old 01-28-2020, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1453
Quote:

Ross

I have my center channel below the screen and it sounds completely natural to me. And don't get me started on the Cima Neve picture... Just amazing! I just finished adding some more black velvet to the right side of my room and the picture quality now is just breathtaking! I was watching War for the Planet of the Apes last night and the brights were super bright, the darks were super dark, there was amazing shadow detail, colors pop and are lush. Just a great screen!
Craig Peer and rossandwendy like this.
post #126 of 132 Old 01-28-2020, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Well, here are more screen shots on mine - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post59162930
Those are stunning Craig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
I have my center channel below the screen and it sounds completely natural to me. And don't get me started on the Cima Neve picture... Just amazing! I just finished adding some more black velvet to the right side of my room and the picture quality now is just breathtaking! I was watching War for the Planet of the Apes last night and the brights were super bright, the darks were super dark, there was amazing shadow detail, colors pop and are lush. Just a great screen!
This is nice to read! Just looking at the small sample, I can imagine seeing what you describe.

Ross

post #127 of 132 Old 01-28-2020, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
BTW love your theater! How high above the floor does your image start? And what is your viewing distance from that 115" 2.35:1 Neve screen?

Ross

post #128 of 132 Old 01-29-2020, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1453
Quote:
BTW love your theater! How high above the floor does your image start? And what is your viewing distance from that 115" 2.35:1 Neve screen?

Ross

Thanks! The bottom of the screen is 33" off the floor, and I sit back about 10 feet from the screen. I could stand to be a little bit closer, but I found this to be the sweet spot for audio and the viewing angle is just about right as well.
rossandwendy and Todd G. like this.
post #129 of 132 Old 01-29-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks! The bottom of the screen is 33" off the floor, and I sit back about 10 feet from the screen. I could stand to be a little bit closer, but I found this to be the sweet spot for audio and the viewing angle is just about right as well.
Mine are a bit lower. My 2.35:1 StudioTek 130 128" diagonal screen is 20" off the floor, and my 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve is 17" off the floor. About the same seating distance though.
rossandwendy likes this.
post #130 of 132 Old 01-29-2020, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The nice thing about your screen height above floor is it puts your center channel at a good height, so you are getting good integration. I've been running a really big screen and my center had to be low on a 12" stand, and while it was not bad it was not as convincing as phantom center. I actually prefer the sound quality of phantom with my Chane A5.4's toed in aggressively, it is excellent in the center seat which is the only one that matters at my house (my wife thinks the side seats still sound fine to her non-discriminating ear).

If I go with the Cima Neve I'll be doing the 165" diagonal screen and would keep using phantom center as I have been, and would need to DIY masking for my Constant Image Area sizes (144" wide for scope, 124" wide for 1.85, the entire screen for Avatar style films). But if I choose Seymour XD I'll have a third Chane tower ideally placed behind, and I would need to scale my image down to 136" to pick up enough brightness with the lower gain AT material. Optimize front stage audio or optimize picture size, brightness, and quality. Two great choices. I just need to get off the fence and pick one

Ross
m0j0 likes this.

post #131 of 132 Old 01-29-2020, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 498
A short review of my new Stewart Cima Neve screen

Quote:

The bottom of our screen is 28” off the floor and we’re the same distance back from a 100” screen. For us this is the sweet spot for audio and viewing angle in our room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m0j0 likes this.

Basement bat cave: JVC RS2000 (calibrated), 100" 16:9 Stewart StudioTek 130, Denon AVR-X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Polk RTi A7 towers/CSi A6 center/65RT in-wall side surrounds (2)/70RT in-ceiling Atmos (4), dual PSA V1811 subwoofers

Last edited by Todd G.; 01-29-2020 at 05:43 PM.
post #132 of 132 Old 01-29-2020, 03:31 PM

I do have my center channel speaker above the screen, which is why I can have my screen(s) lower.
m0j0 and Todd G. like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page