Monoprice Multi-Format Assembly - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By kevings
  • 1 Post By EXT64
  • 1 Post By Ix
  • 3 Post By Ix

post #1 of 17 Old 02-01-2015, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Monoprice Multi-Format Assembly

I have decided to get a Monoprice 106in multi-format screen to go with my new Sony HW40ES. After much research it seems that when assembled correctly the masking system works great -- but the main criticism is that the instructions are almost useless, and assembly is mostly a trial and error process. So I am wondering if anyone their has put one of these together and could offer some hints/suggestion - or maybe even a supplemental set of instructions written by a native speaker. I will take whatever I get and document my own assembly (along with pictures) and post back a Version 1 of an aftermarket assembly "manual" for use by others.

Thanks!
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-04-2015, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
I have decided to get a Monoprice 106in multi-format screen to go with my new Sony HW40ES. After much research it seems that when assembled correctly the masking system works great -- but the main criticism is that the instructions are almost useless, and assembly is mostly a trial and error process. So I am wondering if anyone their has put one of these together and could offer some hints/suggestion - or maybe even a supplemental set of instructions written by a native speaker. I will take whatever I get and document my own assembly (along with pictures) and post back a Version 1 of an aftermarket assembly "manual" for use by others.

Thanks!
Greg
I'm thinking about purchasing one of these. Any updates?

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas (circa 2012)

Currently watching on: JVC X790, 106" Screen, FireTV Cube (2nd Gen), Oppo 203, w/Marantz SR6011, 2 Outlaw M2200, Outlaw Model 5000, SVS Subs, PSA and Def Tech Speakers
post #3 of 17 Old 08-08-2015, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Any update?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-10-2015, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
Any update?
I'm going to try and update when I buy one myself in about a month. Or completely forget about it.

Tim S.

Currently watching on: JVC X790, 106" Screen, FireTV Cube (2nd Gen), Oppo 203, w/Marantz SR6011, 2 Outlaw M2200, Outlaw Model 5000, SVS Subs, PSA and Def Tech Speakers
post #5 of 17 Old 08-10-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
I'm going to try and update when I buy one myself in about a month. Or completely forget about it.
I've ordered the 106" as its just a temp screen and was half the price of the 120"
post #6 of 17 Old 08-10-2015, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
I've ordered the 106" as its just a temp screen and was half the price of the 120"
Let me know how assembly goes. Also, let me know how the screen itself is: most of the reviews are positive from what I've seen, but I'd like to know what another AVSer thinks.

The 106" is going to be largest I can fit in the room in the house that I am purchasing, so I had to save money regardless.

Tim S.

post #7 of 17 Old 08-10-2015, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
I have the Monoprice 106 inch Multiformat screen.

I purchased it when they had a site wide discount and put the frame only together to test it out since I wouldn't be using it right away. I left the screen material in the box. I don't remember having any major issues.

My biggest complaint is how they get it to you. The don't use a 'real' freight company and UPS Freight is terrible IMO. I had to help the guy unload it from his truck and carry it across the street. He was by himself and wouldn't have been able to do it by himself. It was also delivered by an 18 wheeler that some HOAs may not allow in the neighborhood. I expected better service for what I paid in shipping charges.

Only other issues was the black felt was peeling away from the metal at the bottom of the frame. I figure I'll just glue it back together when I build the frame again, but it's still a bit of a PITA.

Personally unless you are really in love with the built in masking I would go with a Silver Ticket screen. Their customer service was much better. I may end up with an anamorphic lens a 2.35 screen soon so this one will just be gathering dust unless I can sell it locally.
post #8 of 17 Old 08-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I have the Monoprice 106 inch Multiformat screen.

I purchased it when they had a site wide discount and put the frame only together to test it out since I wouldn't be using it right away. I left the screen material in the box. I don't remember having any major issues.

My biggest complaint is how they get it to you. The don't use a 'real' freight company and UPS Freight is terrible IMO. I had to help the guy unload it from his truck and carry it across the street. He was by himself and wouldn't have been able to do it by himself. It was also delivered by an 18 wheeler that some HOAs may not allow in the neighborhood. I expected better service for what I paid in shipping charges.

Only other issues was the black felt was peeling away from the metal at the bottom of the frame. I figure I'll just glue it back together when I build the frame again, but it's still a bit of a PITA.

Personally unless you are really in love with the built in masking I would go with a Silver Ticket screen. Their customer service was much better. I may end up with an anamorphic lens a 2.35 screen soon so this one will just be gathering dust unless I can sell it locally.
I built my own masking for my current screen setup and am mostly intrigued by the monoprice screen due to the built-in masking. I assume that it will be much less of a hassle than the velcro system that I have now. I also find that with the less than stellar black levels on my projector that the masking makes the perceived contrast on Scope movies that much better. Otherwise I would just get a plain old screen for less.

Tim S.

post #9 of 17 Old 08-10-2015, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Gregor,

I have this screen and love it. Check the links in my signature and you will come across a few pics of the screen. The instructions weren't great...I do remember that, but assembly wasnt bad, plus there are pics in the instructions which help.

Basically, its something like put together the frame, install the masking, make sure it's retracting properly, and if so install the screen material. After that your ready to hang on a wall. I had the screen up in about 2 hours max, with the help of friend of mine, and that was with frequent breaks / taking our time.

Overall the screen has been great. The masking feature works well and really helps image quality. It's also very easy to stop the masking at several different points which correspond to all of the popular ratios...16:9, 2.35:1, etc.
fredxr2d2 likes this.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-14-2015, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Count me as another satisfied customer. The only problem I ran into on the whole process was a couple of the brackets weren't tapped as they should have been. Not too difficult to fix though. You'll definitely need someone to help with assembly and mounting. It operates very similar to a retractable projector screen (always pull). Hopefully the masking mechanism will last a long time. Let us know if you have any questions on assembly!
fredxr2d2 likes this.
post #11 of 17 Old 08-15-2015, 06:28 PM

I'm tired of these screens

So after the silver ticket material wasn't correct for that screen I ordered this one. Instructions are useles as most state. Went together ok. The thing won't close and open properly though. The bottom mask will not retract and just curls right up.

So now I have two massive boxes to get back to Amazon some how. Ugh.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-17-2015, 07:40 AM

Did you pull up on it and then release? The top mask is always trying to retract, however the bottom mask is like a retractable projector screen. It locks wherever you hold it. To release you pull it up a little and then guide it back to the bottom (don't hold it or it will lock). If it gets stubborn you might need to pull it up to near full extension. I thought at first mine was broken too.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-05-2015, 03:46 PM
Ix
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXT64 View Post
Did you pull up on it and then release? The top mask is always trying to retract, however the bottom mask is like a retractable projector screen. It locks wherever you hold it. To release you pull it up a little and then guide it back to the bottom (don't hold it or it will lock). If it gets stubborn you might need to pull it up to near full extension. I thought at first mine was broken too.
I just got mine - can anyone give me a tip on how I am supposed to attach the masking bars to the sliding pieces in the frame? As everyone with one knows the instructions are a joke.

The top and bottom bars have a plastic piece with a little round knob sticking out. I cannot for the life of me figure out how this plugs in to the receiver in the frame. Nothing I have tried so far seems to work.

Edit: Lord, the instructions are horrible. So to save others potential embarrassment - the plastic pieces that come inserted in the masking bars are just placeholders/replacement parts, from the looks of it. After you pop them out there's even a label that says "remove before assembly" - which I absolutely love, because you'll only see that label after you've removed them Instructions make no reference to this whatsoever, you just have to sort of figure it out. Adding to the confusion is the pieces are exact replicas of the ones used in the tracks, hence my guess that they are potential replacements if one of those breaks. Also, they need the little screws to fully hold them in place - screws that are eyeglasses sized, so the regular Phillips head you used for the rest of the job won't work

Nice screen but I do wish they would do a better job on the manual pointing this out. I had to assemble this thing twice, basically.
fredxr2d2 likes this.

Last edited by Ix; 12-05-2015 at 04:30 PM.
post #14 of 17 Old 12-07-2015, 11:14 PM
Ix
AVS Forum Special Member

Brief review after a couple days now with mine:

I moved to this from a DYI masking system. I liked the masks I made but in the end they didn't hold up well and were just a pain to put on/take off.

However I found I really liked having masks - they make a huge difference. And the screen I was using them with, an Elite bright white, while ok wasn't that great - I had a Carada years ago that was too big for my room but much better - so I was faced with either buying a better screen and coming up with a more permanent DYI masking solution, buying this, or dropping several grand on a Carada or other similar electric solution. From various reviews over the last couple of years I knew the screen quality of the Monoprice would be good - and it is - so I went with this one.

Installation as mentioned was a pain in the rear thanks to near-useless instructions. After figuring out how the masking plugs worked per my post above the next step was puzzling through the mount, which is...different. Also, the least-well documented step in an already bad manual.

At the end of the day, the brackets go up with the piece that has the "shelf" on the bottom - even though it hangs off straps make sure it is squared and leveled off and measure the distance between brackets or you will never get this thing to hang straight. Next part was figuring out the clips - I didn't get them at first, because it looked like they would make the screen stand off from the wall, and it's already a thick frame. And they do - that is the right way to assemble it. So fair warning, if you are really sensitive to screen distance in your room this screen will easily subtract about another 2.5 inches or so from more "typical" flush wall mounts.

On the plus side it is, when you finally get it together, a really solid mount (it has to be, the entire thing is quite heavy). And the stand off contributes to a "shadow box" effect which I quite like, actually. Also there's plenty of room to put LED strips on the back to reflect off the wall if you are in to backlighting - I do this with my TVs, it makes viewing in a dark room much nicer, so I am on the hunt for a kit that is long enough for this screen. Finally, it's pretty easy to slide back and forth for horizontal adjustments - probably a lot easier than doing it on your PJ (the screen comes with locking nuts to prevent it from being moved when you are done, but I don't see the need for them - it would be pretty hard to accidentally move this thing and even harder to knock it off the top and bottom brackets).

The screen frame is nicely wrapped in black velvet and looks good, though I see the same slight peeling on the bottom AMartin56 did - it was easy to tack back down, but slightly annoying. It's a wide frame all around with beveled edges similar to the Carada Criterion series. The width and bevels really contribute to the overall look and contrast pop.

The screen itself (I got the bright white) is as I hoped a step up from the cheap Elite I had - which isn't saying much - and to my memory anyway is on par with my old Carada brilliant white. It gets the job done. Attaching it to the frame is done via tension bars and spring clips, which was a little bit of a pain but keeps the surface nice and smooth.

And, of course, the masks. It's why you are buying this right? They are tricky to work at first; you have to pull all the way up on the bottom to get it to drop right, otherwise it won't retract (the top always retracts fine). It's one of those things where once you do it correctly a few times you'll figure it out - at least this is what I am hoping after two days, so far so good. The advantage to this is when pulling it up, as others have pointed out, you can get to to stop wherever you need, so it's good for more than 2:35:1.

I think I might have a newer model because my bottom mask has two fingerholes (most of the pictures I have seen show one) and unlike some videos I have seen I never have to pull the top down at the same time, all I need to do is smoothly pull the bottom one and both masks expand/retract. Maybe I got lucky in having to install the thing a couple times and got pulley system right - though that part comes pre-assembled from the looks of it it'd be easy to mess up or get the wires to accidentally catch on something. Also I spent a lot of time making sure both the frame and the mount were completely level and squared off - the way this thing operates, if you aren't completely square I would bet you'd have trouble with the masking. Measure diagnally and don't be shy about taking the thing down and fixing it if it isn't completely square (I also did the mounting brackets twice - hint, make sure you drill in screws on the extreme ends of both, then put a couple towards the middle, 4 in all for both the top and bottom bracket - the instructions only show three each, and I think are generally very unclear on this point).

Finally, make sure you level the mounting clips when you screw those in to the frame as well. They are not even mentioned, and barely shown, in the manual btw. I mean, not even listed in the parts section. Come on Monoprice.

Still, after everything, I am pretty happy with it. The price was great (I got it at the current holiday discount, which is still going on I think), the screen itself is very good and the masks do exactly what I hoped. One day maybe I'll go CH, but that will take a move as my current house/media room isn't really wide enough for the screen I'd want. In the meantime this gets it done.
fredxr2d2, EXT64 and AMartin56 like this.
post #15 of 17 Old 12-08-2015, 12:59 PM

Sorry I didn't post at your first question - I didn't see the notification. I am still loving mine several months in (I installed mine shortly after I moved into my new house in May). As you said installation was an adventure. Did your brackets (the ones that mount the screen to the rail) install without modification? If so that is good, it means they fixed that manufacturing error. Mine has the two fingerholds in the bottom and a top that works well. If I remember correctly that was a design improvement that was made well before I bought mine.
post #16 of 17 Old 12-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Ix
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXT64 View Post
Sorry I didn't post at your first question - I didn't see the notification. I am still loving mine several months in (I installed mine shortly after I moved into my new house in May). As you said installation was an adventure. Did your brackets (the ones that mount the screen to the rail) install without modification? If so that is good, it means they fixed that manufacturing error. Mine has the two fingerholds in the bottom and a top that works well. If I remember correctly that was a design improvement that was made well before I bought mine.
My clips were dead on - the holes lined up and were level - so they may well have fixed this, or I just got lucky.

I am glad they improved the masking movement - from the early videos I saw of it in action with the "single finger" version it looked a little squirrely, but mine is fine.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-15-2020, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone still have one of these??? I bought one about three years ago and never got around to putting it together until recently. Thank goodness for this 5 year old thread! I've got the screen all put together, but can't figure out how the brackets are supposed to attach to the wall mounts. And are the connecting strings supposed to be straight? These came twisted and it looks like I'm going to have to unscrew them to straighten them. Can't believe that this is one of the only affordable masking screens around, isn't sold anymore, and is a terror to put together lol

Last edited by giraffejumper; 05-15-2020 at 09:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page