Screen help - too close to ceiling? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By airscapes
  • 1 Post By airscapes
  • 1 Post By hotrodguy
  • 1 Post By Dominic Chan
  • 1 Post By airscapes
  • 1 Post By DavidHir
  • 1 Post By airscapes
  • 1 Post By Gooddoc

post #1 of 12 Old 04-20-2015, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Screen help - too close to ceiling?

Looking for some advice on this screen. It's an Elite Screens 125" Spectrum with the recessed mounting kit. After install and lowering, the top of the screen is only a couple inches from the ceiling. I do plan to paint the ceiling with a dark, flat paint but will I have issues with this? Looking to get a Sony HW-40 0 will I be able to mount it high enough to accommodate this screen?

I've checked with Elite Screens and am not able to increase the vertical drop more than it currently is.

Thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0501.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	676009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-20-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 415
I would suggest Blace Velvet on the ceiling and the grids at least 6' in front of that screen. Paint is going to shine no matter what you buy, velvet will be the only thing that can soak up that much light.. I believe that projector has lens shift so you should be ok but verify it does not have a fixed offset as well or you will have problems
fajita123 likes this.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #3 of 12 Old 04-20-2015, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
I would suggest Blace Velvet on the ceiling and the grids at least 6' in front of that screen. Paint is going to shine no matter what you buy, velvet will be the only thing that can soak up that much light.. I believe that projector has lens shift so you should be ok but verify it does not have a fixed offset as well or you will have problems

Awesome, thanks! Are velvet panels just brad nailed through drywall into joists?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-20-2015, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That is how I did mine.. applied to 1/4 ply with 3M 77 and 18 gauge brad nailer into joists and on a 45 into the dry wall. send them in on an angle so gravity won't pull them out.
Work with sizes you can handle.. Velvet is 44" wide and you should leave at least 2" to wrap .. so 40-41 wide by as long as you can deal with..

Some pics of my update and some descriptions under the photos once you click on the thumbs. NOTE: My webserver was down when I posted this, should be up in a if the link does not work.
Living Room Update
fajita123 likes this.

Doug

post #5 of 12 Old 04-20-2015, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 207
If other suggestions don't work out since it's so close to the ceiling and you're in the middle of construction, you could build a soffit and re-install the screen into that, this way it will bring the top of the screen lower, just an idea...
fajita123 likes this.

post #6 of 12 Old 04-20-2015, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4502 Post(s)
Liked: 1685
Quote:
Originally Posted by fajita123 View Post
Looking to get a Sony HW-40 0 will I be able to mount it high enough to accommodate this screen?
A low screen may pose a problem for ceiling-mounted projectors if there's not enough vertical offset. A high screen shouldn't have any problem.
fajita123 likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-20-2015, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm somewhat hesitant to build a soffit, as the screen will only be in use some of the time, there is ~7' behind the screen and it might looks strange.

Velvet sounds like a winner and sounds like there shouldn't be much issue with the projector mounting. Is there a calculator for mounting distance from ceiling for projectors? Didn't find that info on projector central.

post #8 of 12 Old 04-21-2015, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm somewhat hesitant to build a soffit, as the screen will only be in use some of the time, there is ~7' behind the screen and it might looks strange.

Velvet sounds like a winner and sounds like there shouldn't be much issue with the projector mounting. Is there a calculator for mounting distance from ceiling for projectors? Didn't find that info on projector central.

From the Projector Central review and I am sure it is in the owner manual as well
The HW40ES also has manually controlled horizontal and vertical lens shift, controlled by knobs mounted just over the lens on the top panel. The image can be shifted vertically by 0.7 screen heights up or down, allowing the image to be placed completely above or below the lens centerline, or 0.25 screen widths to the left or right.

So you should be able to place it where you want it without a problem. Down load the manual, a lot of time they will have a pictures that make that statement make sense.
fajita123 likes this.

Doug

post #9 of 12 Old 04-21-2015, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
My guess with the ceiling velvet and vertical lens shifting of the projector you will be okay. Ideally, I would want the screen down more, but I think you'll be okay.

The bigger question is: are you going to be fine having to look upward at the screen from your seating position? I'm not sure how high your seating furniture is, but looking up too much may cause neck fatigue and can take you out of the immersiveness of the image if your eye level is too low. The general guideline is your eyes are at the bottom lower third point of the screen although I prefer something between the bottom third and half way mark - but this is subjective.
fajita123 likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-21-2015, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
My guess with the ceiling velvet and vertical lens shifting of the projector you will be okay. Ideally, I would want the screen down more, but I think you'll be okay.

The bigger question is: are you going to be fine having to look upward at the screen from your seating position? I'm not sure how high your seating furniture is, but looking up too much may cause neck fatigue and can take you out of the immersiveness of the image if your eye level is too low. The general guideline is your eyes are at the bottom lower third point of the screen although I prefer something between the bottom third and half way mark - but this is subjective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
From the Projector Central review and I am sure it is in the owner manual as well
The HW40ES also has manually controlled horizontal and vertical lens shift, controlled by knobs mounted just over the lens on the top panel. The image can be shifted vertically by 0.7 screen heights up or down, allowing the image to be placed completely above or below the lens centerline, or 0.25 screen widths to the left or right.

So you should be able to place it where you want it without a problem. Down load the manual, a lot of time they will have a pictures that make that statement make sense.
Thanks so much guys. The manual reference helps a ton, didn't even think to look there... duh...

Maybe I'll try to rig something up and watch a movie before I get any further with the drywall to make sure neck strain won't be an issue.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-21-2015, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks so much guys. The manual reference helps a ton, didn't even think to look there... duh...

Maybe I'll try to rig something up and watch a movie before I get any further with the drywall to make sure neck strain won't be an issue.
Just put the projector on a table.. does not need to be mounted. Mine sits on a cabinet behind the chairs as you may have noticed in the pictures.
fajita123 likes this.

Doug

post #12 of 12 Old 04-21-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 3687 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
Quote:

I had an elite screen ceiling mounted with a 6" drop and thought it was ok, but felt I was looking up too much and it wasn't comfortable. And the problem isn't neck pain, its that the eyes have a comfortable "resting level" and if you have to keep them elevated it's far less relaxing. I then ordered the elite screen with the 24" drop (I customized it to about 18") and it was a huge improvement. Having the screen closer to the floor added to the immersion factor bigtime and gave the image an immediacy, or "in the room" feeling, that was lacking with the screen up higher.

Just figured I'd pass that along.
fajita123 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page