Screen Innovations Slate vs Black Diamond - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #61 of 70 Old 05-24-2019, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I am looking for a recommendation that maybe you all can help with. Today I have a 70" Sharp TV with a 100" basic 1.0 gain tab tensioned drop down screen. The only reason I have the TV is I don't love watching TV and sports in the pitch black. But I do watch movies in the dark. The room is in a basement and has no windows but as I said, if I got rid of the TV I would watch some content with the lights on. The lights are all recessed can lights. Would it work in my room to do a fixed frame SI Slate for movies in the dark and TV with the lights on?

the lounj is a general interest/hobby discussion forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 Old 05-24-2019, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles J P View Post
I am looking for a recommendation that maybe you all can help with. Today I have a 70" Sharp TV with a 100" basic 1.0 gain tab tensioned drop down screen. The only reason I have the TV is I don't love watching TV and sports in the pitch black. But I do watch movies in the dark. The room is in a basement and has no windows but as I said, if I got rid of the TV I would watch some content with the lights on. The lights are all recessed can lights. Would it work in my room to do a fixed frame SI Slate for movies in the dark and TV with the lights on?
Definitely. A SI Slate will work for movies in the dark and TV with the lights on.
I've owned a Slate 1.2 16:9 120" for 3 years during which it was my only screen, thus used for movies, sports and regular TV programming in BOTH the dark and wiuth some lights on. Just last month, I adding a 2nd screen, which is a Stewart ST130 G3 240:1 153" solely for wide screen movie viewing with lights off.

Both serve their respective purposes admirably.

JVC RS3000 in AeroLift 150, Paladin DCR lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Two Screens: Stewart ElectiScreen StudioTek 130G 153” 240:1 and Screen Innovations Motorized Series 5 Slate 1.2 120" 16:9, Rack: Anthem AVM-60, Oppo 203, Sony CX-7000ES BD Changer, two Anthem A-5's, Rotel 1075, Atmos 7.2.4: 7 Thiel PowerPoint 1.2's, 2 SVS SB-16 Ultra's, 4 Thiel PowerPlane 1.2's. Projector cabling: FIBBR + RUIPro 10M, Remote: URC MX-990.
post #63 of 70 Old 05-24-2019, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargen View Post
Definitely. A SI Slate will work for movies in the dark and TV with the lights on.
I've owned a Slate 1.2 16:9 120" for 3 years during which it was my only screen, thus used for movies, sports and regular TV programming in BOTH the dark and wiuth some lights on. Just last month, I adding a 2nd screen, which is a Stewart ST130 G3 240:1 153" solely for wide screen movie viewing with lights off.

Both serve their respective purposes admirably.

Thanks for the info. I don't have a traditional retailer locally that sells SI. I'd have to see if a custom installer has a showroom. I was able to go to a regular retailer and see the DaLite Parallax today. Obviously they aren't identical designs but it gave me an idea of how much light they can reject in general. I noticed the DaLite struggled more with side light. Not sure if SI does better at that. DaLite claims 95% ALR but I imagine this spec is a little like receiver wattage. I'm curious if you would recommend the 0.8 or the 1.2 gain. I'm not sure I need high gain. I think I'm barely using the output of my projector today to be honest.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 70 Old 05-25-2019, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I don't have a traditional retailer locally that sells SI. I'd have to see if a custom installer has a showroom. I was able to go to a regular retailer and see the DaLite Parallax today. Obviously they aren't identical designs but it gave me an idea of how much light they can reject in general. I noticed the DaLite struggled more with side light. Not sure if SI does better at that. DaLite claims 95% ALR but I imagine this spec is a little like receiver wattage. I'm curious if you would recommend the 0.8 or the 1.2 gain. I'm not sure I need high gain. I think I'm barely using the output of my projector today to be honest.

If you want the deep blacks the Slate 0.8 is the one you want. Here’s the Cinegrey 5D Slate 1.2 and Slate 0.8. The 0.8 is far right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #65 of 70 Old 05-26-2019, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know how to get fabric samples? This would be a big change for me. If I do what I'm thinking about I would sell my TV and have a screen only which means I'd be stuck with my decision once I order the screen as I would move from drop down to fixed frame screen. There would be no going back.

post #66 of 70 Old 05-26-2019, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Hi,

I would like to ask for a completely light controlled room. with black walls, dark carpet and ceiling. would a Black Diamond 0.8 gain be a big disadvantage ? I love Bight vivid colors and always run my projector on " Vivid " mode. currently i have a very cheap $200 fake brand pure white screen with 1.4 gain. 135" screen and the new Epson projector. would i see an improvement ?

Thank you,
post #67 of 70 Old 05-26-2019, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
As I understand it, there is a tradeoff of benefit between the Slate 0.8 and Slate 1.2. While the Slate 0.8 features more contrast it comes with a slightly narower acceptable viewing scope as depicted on SI's website here: https://www.screeninnovations.com/materials/slate/. If Slate 0.8 was superior in all respects, methinks SI would retire Slate 1.2 as an option completely.

Slate .8 was available at the time I ordered my Slate 1.2. I recall a phone conversation direct with SI tech support at the time, but I can't recall the specifics of their recommendation of Slate 1.2 over Slate 0.8 for MY room's circumstances.

So, instead of you relying solely on subjective opinions of us AVS'ers, or even some screen dealer, I strongly suggest you PHONE Screen Innvovations directly and discuss it with them in detail. I am sure they will send you screen material swatches also.

JVC RS3000 in AeroLift 150, Paladin DCR lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Two Screens: Stewart ElectiScreen StudioTek 130G 153” 240:1 and Screen Innovations Motorized Series 5 Slate 1.2 120" 16:9, Rack: Anthem AVM-60, Oppo 203, Sony CX-7000ES BD Changer, two Anthem A-5's, Rotel 1075, Atmos 7.2.4: 7 Thiel PowerPoint 1.2's, 2 SVS SB-16 Ultra's, 4 Thiel PowerPlane 1.2's. Projector cabling: FIBBR + RUIPro 10M, Remote: URC MX-990.
post #68 of 70 Old 05-26-2019, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Call SI customer service and request some samples of what you want to see. That’s what I did it took two weeks to get them but it helped make my decision and actually changed my mind. Originally I was just going to order the Slate 1.2 but after seeing the 0.8 I changed my mind and ordered it.

post #69 of 70 Old 05-26-2019, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Great thread; learning a lot. I'm considering one of the new BenQ DLPs paired with a 110" 16:9. It will be in a media room basement with some entertaining with the lights on and some lights off movie viewing. So am I to assume the Slate 0.8 would pair well with the BenQ TK800M and the 1.2 would do better with the HT3550?
post #70 of 70 Old 05-28-2019, 04:42 AM
Advanced Member

Screen Innovations Slate vs Black Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post
Great thread; learning a lot. I'm considering one of the new BenQ DLPs paired with a 110" 16:9. It will be in a media room basement with some entertaining with the lights on and some lights off movie viewing. So am I to assume the Slate 0.8 would pair well with the BenQ TK800M and the 1.2 would do better with the HT3550?

I haven’t looked at the specs of those projectors but I will be using an Optoma UHD51ALV which has 3000 lumens so its bright and I chose the Slate 0.8 but either of those projectors would be great with either of those screens. I still have two weeks until my Slate 0.8 screen arrives so I cant really give any review on it until it arrives. Trust me the anticipation is killing me.

Wow I just looked up the HT3550. That sounds like a really great projector for the money. I think it’s too soon for me to upgrade though considering I’ve only had the Optoma since November but that Ben Q is impressive.

Even with screen samples in hand I still watched YouTube reviews. This one shows the Slate 0.8 from different viewing angles.

Fargus777 likes this.

Last edited by Gamecock24; 05-29-2019 at 05:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page