Screen Innovations Slate vs Black Diamond - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 76 Old 05-24-2019, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
Charles J P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I am looking for a recommendation that maybe you all can help with. Today I have a 70" Sharp TV with a 100" basic 1.0 gain tab tensioned drop down screen. The only reason I have the TV is I don't love watching TV and sports in the pitch black. But I do watch movies in the dark. The room is in a basement and has no windows but as I said, if I got rid of the TV I would watch some content with the lights on. The lights are all recessed can lights. Would it work in my room to do a fixed frame SI Slate for movies in the dark and TV with the lights on?

the lounj is a general interest/hobby discussion forum.
Charles J P is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 76 Old 05-24-2019, 03:07 PM
Senior Member
 
cargen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brentwood, TN
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles J P View Post
I am looking for a recommendation that maybe you all can help with. Today I have a 70" Sharp TV with a 100" basic 1.0 gain tab tensioned drop down screen. The only reason I have the TV is I don't love watching TV and sports in the pitch black. But I do watch movies in the dark. The room is in a basement and has no windows but as I said, if I got rid of the TV I would watch some content with the lights on. The lights are all recessed can lights. Would it work in my room to do a fixed frame SI Slate for movies in the dark and TV with the lights on?
Definitely. A SI Slate will work for movies in the dark and TV with the lights on.
I've owned a Slate 1.2 16:9 120" for 3 years during which it was my only screen, thus used for movies, sports and regular TV programming in BOTH the dark and wiuth some lights on. Just last month, I adding a 2nd screen, which is a Stewart ST130 G3 240:1 153" solely for wide screen movie viewing with lights off.

Both serve their respective purposes admirably.

JVC RS3000 in AeroLift 150, Paladin DCR lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Two Screens: Stewart ElectiScreen StudioTek 130G 153” 240:1 and Screen Innovations Motorized Series 5 Slate 1.2 120" 16:9, Rack: Anthem AVM-60, Oppo 203, Sony CX-7000ES BD Changer, two Anthem A-5's, Rotel 1075, Atmos 7.2.4: 7 Thiel PowerPoint 1.2's, 2 SVS SB-16 Ultra's, 4 Thiel PowerPlane 1.2's. Projector cabling: FIBBR + RUIPro 10M, Remote: URC MX-990.
cargen is offline  
post #63 of 76 Old 05-24-2019, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
Charles J P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargen View Post
Definitely. A SI Slate will work for movies in the dark and TV with the lights on.
I've owned a Slate 1.2 16:9 120" for 3 years during which it was my only screen, thus used for movies, sports and regular TV programming in BOTH the dark and wiuth some lights on. Just last month, I adding a 2nd screen, which is a Stewart ST130 G3 240:1 153" solely for wide screen movie viewing with lights off.

Both serve their respective purposes admirably.

Thanks for the info. I don't have a traditional retailer locally that sells SI. I'd have to see if a custom installer has a showroom. I was able to go to a regular retailer and see the DaLite Parallax today. Obviously they aren't identical designs but it gave me an idea of how much light they can reject in general. I noticed the DaLite struggled more with side light. Not sure if SI does better at that. DaLite claims 95% ALR but I imagine this spec is a little like receiver wattage. I'm curious if you would recommend the 0.8 or the 1.2 gain. I'm not sure I need high gain. I think I'm barely using the output of my projector today to be honest.

the lounj is a general interest/hobby discussion forum.
Charles J P is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 76 Old 05-25-2019, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
Gamecock24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 795
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles J P View Post
Thanks for the info. I don't have a traditional retailer locally that sells SI. I'd have to see if a custom installer has a showroom. I was able to go to a regular retailer and see the DaLite Parallax today. Obviously they aren't identical designs but it gave me an idea of how much light they can reject in general. I noticed the DaLite struggled more with side light. Not sure if SI does better at that. DaLite claims 95% ALR but I imagine this spec is a little like receiver wattage. I'm curious if you would recommend the 0.8 or the 1.2 gain. I'm not sure I need high gain. I think I'm barely using the output of my projector today to be honest.


If you want the deep blacks the Slate 0.8 is the one you want. Here’s the Cinegrey 5D Slate 1.2 and Slate 0.8. The 0.8 is far right.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gamecock24 is offline  
post #65 of 76 Old 05-26-2019, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
Charles J P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Does anyone know how to get fabric samples? This would be a big change for me. If I do what I'm thinking about I would sell my TV and have a screen only which means I'd be stuck with my decision once I order the screen as I would move from drop down to fixed frame screen. There would be no going back.

the lounj is a general interest/hobby discussion forum.
Charles J P is offline  
post #66 of 76 Old 05-26-2019, 08:53 AM
Member
 
hemo cave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Hi,

I would like to ask for a completely light controlled room. with black walls, dark carpet and ceiling. would a Black Diamond 0.8 gain be a big disadvantage ? I love Bight vivid colors and always run my projector on " Vivid " mode. currently i have a very cheap $200 fake brand pure white screen with 1.4 gain. 135" screen and the new Epson projector. would i see an improvement ?

Thank you,
hemo cave is offline  
post #67 of 76 Old 05-26-2019, 09:26 AM
Senior Member
 
cargen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brentwood, TN
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles J P View Post
Thanks for the info. I don't have a traditional retailer locally that sells SI. I'd have to see if a custom installer has a showroom. I was able to go to a regular retailer and see the DaLite Parallax today. Obviously they aren't identical designs but it gave me an idea of how much light they can reject in general. I noticed the DaLite struggled more with side light. Not sure if SI does better at that. DaLite claims 95% ALR but I imagine this spec is a little like receiver wattage. I'm curious if you would recommend the 0.8 or the 1.2 gain. I'm not sure I need high gain. I think I'm barely using the output of my projector today to be honest.
As I understand it, there is a tradeoff of benefit between the Slate 0.8 and Slate 1.2. While the Slate 0.8 features more contrast it comes with a slightly narower acceptable viewing scope as depicted on SI's website here: https://www.screeninnovations.com/materials/slate/. If Slate 0.8 was superior in all respects, methinks SI would retire Slate 1.2 as an option completely.

Slate .8 was available at the time I ordered my Slate 1.2. I recall a phone conversation direct with SI tech support at the time, but I can't recall the specifics of their recommendation of Slate 1.2 over Slate 0.8 for MY room's circumstances.

So, instead of you relying solely on subjective opinions of us AVS'ers, or even some screen dealer, I strongly suggest you PHONE Screen Innvovations directly and discuss it with them in detail. I am sure they will send you screen material swatches also.

JVC RS3000 in AeroLift 150, Paladin DCR lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Two Screens: Stewart ElectiScreen StudioTek 130G 153” 240:1 and Screen Innovations Motorized Series 5 Slate 1.2 120" 16:9, Rack: Anthem AVM-60, Oppo 203, Sony CX-7000ES BD Changer, two Anthem A-5's, Rotel 1075, Atmos 7.2.4: 7 Thiel PowerPoint 1.2's, 2 SVS SB-16 Ultra's, 4 Thiel PowerPlane 1.2's. Projector cabling: FIBBR + RUIPro 10M, Remote: URC MX-990.
cargen is offline  
post #68 of 76 Old 05-26-2019, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Gamecock24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 795
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Call SI customer service and request some samples of what you want to see. That’s what I did it took two weeks to get them but it helped make my decision and actually changed my mind. Originally I was just going to order the Slate 1.2 but after seeing the 0.8 I changed my mind and ordered it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gamecock24 is offline  
post #69 of 76 Old 05-26-2019, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
Cla55clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Arvada, Colorado (Denver area)
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Great thread; learning a lot. I'm considering one of the new BenQ DLPs paired with a 110" 16:9. It will be in a media room basement with some entertaining with the lights on and some lights off movie viewing. So am I to assume the Slate 0.8 would pair well with the BenQ TK800M and the 1.2 would do better with the HT3550?
Cla55clown is offline  
post #70 of 76 Old 05-28-2019, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
Gamecock24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 795
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Screen Innovations Slate vs Black Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post
Great thread; learning a lot. I'm considering one of the new BenQ DLPs paired with a 110" 16:9. It will be in a media room basement with some entertaining with the lights on and some lights off movie viewing. So am I to assume the Slate 0.8 would pair well with the BenQ TK800M and the 1.2 would do better with the HT3550?


I haven’t looked at the specs of those projectors but I will be using an Optoma UHD51ALV which has 3000 lumens so its bright and I chose the Slate 0.8 but either of those projectors would be great with either of those screens. I still have two weeks until my Slate 0.8 screen arrives so I cant really give any review on it until it arrives. Trust me the anticipation is killing me.

Wow I just looked up the HT3550. That sounds like a really great projector for the money. I think it’s too soon for me to upgrade though considering I’ve only had the Optoma since November but that Ben Q is impressive.

Even with screen samples in hand I still watched YouTube reviews. This one shows the Slate 0.8 from different viewing angles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fargus777 likes this.

Last edited by Gamecock24; 05-29-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Gamecock24 is offline  
post #71 of 76 Old 07-01-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Herve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,620
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock24 View Post
I haven’t looked at the specs of those projectors but I will be using an Optoma UHD51ALV which has 3000 lumens so its bright and I chose the Slate 0.8 but either of those projectors would be great with either of those screens. I still have two weeks until my Slate 0.8 screen arrives so I cant really give any review on it until it arrives. Trust me the anticipation is killing me.

Wow I just looked up the HT3550. That sounds like a really great projector for the money. I think it’s too soon for me to upgrade though considering I’ve only had the Optoma since November but that Ben Q is impressive.

Even with screen samples in hand I still watched YouTube reviews. This one shows the Slate 0.8 from different viewing angles.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you receive your screen yet and, if so, what do you think? I'd really like to know what the image from a 3k lumen projector looks like on that screen.
Thanks.
Herve is offline  
post #72 of 76 Old 07-01-2019, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Gamecock24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 795
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Screen Innovations Slate vs Black Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
Did you receive your screen yet and, if so, what do you think? I'd really like to know what the image from a 3k lumen projector looks like on that screen.

Thanks.


Yes! I did. I’m loving it so far. Here some pics I have of it.



The second pic is during the day as you can tell with a blu-Ray and the third is total darkness with Directv as the source. The screen still reflects some light back into the room but it’s not too bad. One of the projector calculators gave me and image brightness of 32FL with this screen and PJ. The Slate 1.2 calculated to have 48FL which I thought would be really bright. I think in a Cinema the image brightness is around 16FL so I have plenty of brightness.
Here’s some video I shot on my iPhone X of the screen. Spoiler Alert if you haven’t seen Aquaman it’s the final scene.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Gamecock24; 07-01-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Gamecock24 is offline  
post #73 of 76 Old 07-01-2019, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Herve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,620
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock24 View Post
Yes! I did. I’m loving it so far. Here some pics I have of it.
The second pic is during the day as you can tell with a blu-Ray and the third is total darkness with Directv as the source. The screen still reflects some light back into the room but it’s not too bad. One of the projector calculators gave me and image brightness of 32FL with this screen and PJ. The Slate 1.2 calculated to have 48FL which I thought would be really bright. I think in a Cinema the image brightness is around 16FL so I have plenty of brightness.
Here’s some video I shot on my iPhone X of the screen. Spoiler Alert if you haven’t seen Aquaman it’s the final scene.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The room-dark photo looks great and the full daylight photo looks quite watchable. Thanks!
Herve is offline  
post #74 of 76 Old 07-02-2019, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
Gamecock24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 795
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
The room-dark photo looks great and the full daylight photo looks quite watchable. Thanks!


I do remember reading a review or test of my Optoma UHD51ALV projector where they tested the brightness and it only tested at around 2600 lumens. Keep that in mind also advertised brightness doesn’t always mean actual useable brightness.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gamecock24 is offline  
post #75 of 76 Old 11-27-2019, 08:38 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Slate 1.2 or 0.8

Hello,
I’m not the most knowledgeable and would appreciate a little guidance. I built a movie theatre room in my basement that is 13 ft 9 inches wide and 17ft 9 inches long. I added a riser for the back row and soundproofed. The only place for light to come in is in a single window that will have blackout blinds and the door to get into the room. I wired for 7.1 sound and I will be purchasing the optima uhz65 this weekend. I plan on getting a 120 inch screen and have been looking at the slate 1.2 or 0.8. For lighting we only installed 4 wall sconces that will be dimmable or off. Would you recommend the slate 0.8 or 1.2 gain? Or even another screen.

Thank you for your thoughts suggestions and assistance.
Battletroll
Battletroll is offline  
post #76 of 76 Old 11-28-2019, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,197
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battletroll View Post
Hello,
I’m not the most knowledgeable and would appreciate a little guidance. I built a movie theatre room in my basement that is 13 ft 9 inches wide and 17ft 9 inches long. I added a riser for the back row and soundproofed. The only place for light to come in is in a single window that will have blackout blinds and the door to get into the room. I wired for 7.1 sound and I will be purchasing the optima uhz65 this weekend. I plan on getting a 120 inch screen and have been looking at the slate 1.2 or 0.8. For lighting we only installed 4 wall sconces that will be dimmable or off. Would you recommend the slate 0.8 or 1.2 gain? Or even another screen.

Thank you for your thoughts suggestions and assistance.
Battletroll

Why do you want to get the Optoma?

A better solution would be to treat the walls for reflections and get a projector with good black level.

A regular white screen can be used in that situation, as long as the lights don't hit the screen directly and are not too bright.

ALR screen can have artifacts and a white screen would be a better alternative, if the room can be treated.
Most of these ALR's require a minimum throw of 1.5x, or closer to 2.0x to avoid any artifacting.
The projector needs to be capable of this kind of throw range: 1.39 – 2.22 (with tolerance ±5%) for the Optoma.

An 120" screen in 16:9 format has a width of 104" or 8.6'. The projector would have to be placed at around 16", and even then there is no guarantee that 100% of artifacts will be eliminated.

This is Slate 1.2 with an Epson 6050UB, brightness uniformity is around 80% in this case, at a throw range of 2.44x. The user claims no visible hotspots or other artifacts:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58844200
Craig Peer likes this.
noob00224 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Screens

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off