Aeon Elite screen Cinegrey 3D - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #181 of 255 Old 03-23-2017, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by daWill View Post
I don't have the patience to get a perfect fill. Nor do I necessarily think quality control on these screens is high enough to get a perfect 16:9 ratio. Even just a tiny bit off gets magnified by the projectors throw.

Now all that being said I can't tell it's not filling up the whole screen unless I look for it. Playing games or watching movies it's a non issue. I prefer the clean look much better w/o the black tape and the screen is dark enough grey to not be distracting with any underfill. Underfill on my previous matte white screen was very annoying to me and I tried to get the overspill just minimal on the velvet to avoid it.
Great to hear that. That's what I hoped for. The plan is to get a 135" screen as an upgrade from my current 105" and to use around 120" area for 16:9 TV viewing but full width for 2.35:1 movie viewing. Looks there's no reason this will not work for me. I could eventually do full 135" 16:9 but at this moment it looks it will be too large from my front seating area and also the concern of too much brightness hit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 255 Old 03-27-2017, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Delete please

Last edited by paulfromtulsa; 04-03-2017 at 09:48 PM.
post #183 of 255 Old 03-28-2017, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4865 Post(s)
Liked: 1838
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine View Post
Here is a simple iPhone photo of the Cinegrey 3D taped to a portion of my white screen. For this shot, I opened the curtains on a window off to the right of the screen on a cloudy day. The image is the white on black grid from the projector's pixel alignment menu. You can see on the white screen things are much worse on the right than the left.
Towards the left side of the photo, the white lines are significantly dimmer on the Cinegrey 3D than on the white screen. Presumably that's because the light is coming at a steep angle.
Do you have any pictures comparing the two with a projected image instead of window light? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 255 Old 04-04-2017, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
Delete please
I have same problem with Carl's ALR. You can see my video in Carl's ALR topic.
post #185 of 255 Old 04-16-2017, 10:26 AM

I finally got a cinegrey 3d sample to try. It's too small to make a verdict but I do have a mixed feeling about it. This is to replace my 10 year old white 106" Da-Lite screen with I believe 1.2 gain. My first impression is the elite produce darker images. Black is more black. Green and red became darker green and red. I guess these are good but then white is much less white. I'm not sure if this is the way it supposed to be or I'm just losing brightness. The contrast does appear to be better but the sample is just too small go make a good judgement on that. I'm still very hesitate of purchasing it. Will someone who knows better help me about if the white on a grey screen will just not be the same as it on a white screen?
post #186 of 255 Old 04-16-2017, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Samples suck. With that being said, whites will always be more dim on a alr or grey screen. You cant have it all. The only way for true, unaltered whites is with a white screen.
post #187 of 255 Old 04-17-2017, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
Samples suck. With that being said, whites will always be more dim on a alr or grey screen.
Many ALR screens have "positive gains", i.e., if positioned correctly, the white will be brighter than on a matte white screen when viewed from the optimal position.

Here's one example that I measured:

The top half is the Silver Ticket ALR screen (rated 1.5 gain), the bottom half is their matte screen (rated 1.1 gain).
Ftoast likes this.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 04-17-2017 at 06:46 AM.
post #188 of 255 Old 04-17-2017, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkpro View Post
I finally got a cinegrey 3d sample to try. It's too small to make a verdict but I do have a mixed feeling about it. This is to replace my 10 year old white 106" Da-Lite screen with I believe 1.2 gain. My first impression is the elite produce darker images. Black is more black. Green and red became darker green and red. I guess these are good but then white is much less white. I'm not sure if this is the way it supposed to be or I'm just losing brightness. The contrast does appear to be better but the sample is just too small go make a good judgement on that. I'm still very hesitate of purchasing it. Will someone who knows better help me about if the white on a grey screen will just not be the same as it on a white screen?
I was VERY underwhelmed by the samples. I think they set in my drawer for a good 6months before I decided to just take "a leap of faith" base on a mix of posts on here, you tube videos, etc. That being said a month later I think the cinegrey 3d screen is the best upgrade I've done to my theater, possibly ever.. It drove me to go ahead and upgrade my sound system too (dolby atmos is pretty awesome too). Now I find myself going upstairs to watch tv, movies, etc. For awhile after I got my 4k FALD tv downstairs, I only went upstairs to play my ps4 or gaming pc. Now I only use tv downstairs if my kids or wife already claimed the projector.

It's not a miracle screen though. I use my overhead light between the seats and the screen somewhat sparingly because it does wash out the image slightly (matte white was unwatchable with this on). However my cans off to the side have no impact to image quality. Solo I usually have most lights off as it's just a personal preference, but watching tv w/ kids or other company I turn on the lights and have only minor contrast loss. The image the screen shows in the dark is leaps and bounds better than my matte white. My white ceiling and beige carpet was killing my contrast previously. Now all that incident reflections are squashed by the ALR screen.
post #189 of 255 Old 04-17-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I was VERY underwhelmed by the samples. I think they set in my drawer for a good 6months before I decided to just take "a leap of faith" base on a mix of posts on here, you tube videos, etc. That being said a month later I think the cinegrey 3d screen is the best upgrade I've done to my theater, possibly ever.. It drove me to go ahead and upgrade my sound system too (dolby atmos is pretty awesome too). Now I find myself going upstairs to watch tv, movies, etc. For awhile after I got my 4k FALD tv downstairs, I only went upstairs to play my ps4 or gaming pc. Now I only use tv downstairs if my kids or wife already claimed the projector.

It's not a miracle screen though. I use my overhead light between the seats and the screen somewhat sparingly because it does wash out the image slightly (matte white was unwatchable with this on). However my cans off to the side have no impact to image quality. Solo I usually have most lights off as it's just a personal preference, but watching tv w/ kids or other company I turn on the lights and have only minor contrast loss. The image the screen shows in the dark is leaps and bounds better than my matte white. My white ceiling and beige carpet was killing my contrast previously. Now all that incident reflections are squashed by the ALR screen.
Thanks that's reassuring to know. After few days comparing that little sample I came to the same conclusion that the gain in contrast even after dark still outweighs the little loss of white level. Order of an Elite Aeon 135" cinegrey3D was just placed. The next project will be a new receiver and a few extra speakers for atoms.
post #190 of 255 Old 04-28-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks that's reassuring to know. After few days comparing that little sample I came to the same conclusion that the gain in contrast even after dark still outweighs the little loss of white level. Order of an Elite Aeon 135" cinegrey3D was just placed. The next project will be a new receiver and a few extra speakers for atoms.
After a week with the new 135" 16:9 cinegray 3D screen here are some of my thoughts. The projector is Epson 5040ub with throw distance of 15', the minimum recommended by Elite. Viewing distance is ~13'. The room does have lighter colored ceiling and walls.

1. Contrast and black level definitely improved over previous Da-Lite white screen. It made this great projector even better. I really love what I see here.
2. Viewing under some ambient lights is still a huge compromise. Not even sure if there are any improvements over the previous screen. The very bright Epson was able to do a fairly good job with the white screen already.
3. At this screen size the need of 4K UHD becomes even more apparent. I'm not set up for 4K yet. It will be the next thing for me to do.
4. I finally understood what hot spot means. It is very noticeable in certain scenes. It does bother me a bit but I can live with it for now. I fully understand that nothing comes for free.

Final thought is it's definitely worth it just for the contrast and black level improvements although one needs to bear in mind that compromises still exist.

Last edited by carlkpro; 04-28-2017 at 11:09 AM.
post #191 of 255 Old 04-28-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
After a week with the new 135" 16:9 cinegray 3D screen here are some of my thoughts. The projector is Epson 5040ub with throw distance of 15', the minimum recommended by Elite. Viewing distance is ~13'. The room does have lighter colored ceiling and walls.

1. Contrast and black level definitely improved over previous Da-Lite white screen. It made this great projector even better. I really love what I see here.
2. Viewing under some ambient lights is still a huge compromise. Not even sure if there are any improvements over the previous screen. The very bright Epson was able to do a fairly good job with the white screen already.
3. At this screen size the need of 4K UHD becomes even more obvious. I'm not set up to do 4K yet. It will be the next thing to do.
4. I finally understood what hot spot means. It is very noticeable in certain scenes. It does bother me a bit but I can live with it for now. I fully understand that nothing comes for free.

Final thought is it's definitely worth it just for the contrast and black level improvements although one needs to bear in mind that compromises still exist.
Hmm. You have the same screen as me and the same approximate viewing and throw distances. What is your approximate distance of your lens height to your screen height? I want to say my lens is ~1/4-1/3 down on the screen. Since these screens are angular reflective, I would look into moving either the screen or projector up/down to see if you can eliminate the hot spotting. My screen is every so slightly brighter in the center compared to the edges, but I wouldn't call it hot spotting necessarily. It's only noticeable if I sit in a seat off to the side, which I do regularly. I notice it for a hot second and it melds away because it's so gradual, and I think I'm the only person who sees it.

Another possibility on the hot spotting, is you need to drop the brightness of your projector. The 5040 is pretty bright, you could drop it to eco mode and see if it makes any difference. You could also see if recalibrating the black levels via test patterns makes any differences. I suspect those are all different now with the 1.2 gain vs what you had before.

On the ambient light issues, it took me a bit to figure out the best setup. I don't use my overhead fan lights very often now, but I couldn't use them at all with my white screen. My can lights over to the side I can use w/o any washout, which is very nice. Everybody's setup is different though and it's all based on the incident angle of the lights on the screen vs your viewing angle. The good news with these ALR screens is you have options to fix washout, white ones you were left with bad contrast or having to treat the entire room. Much less hassle to adjust lighting angles than painting everything black and start tacking up velvet .
post #192 of 255 Old 04-28-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Hmm. You have the same screen as me and the same approximate viewing and throw distances. What is your approximate distance of your lens height to your screen height? I want to say my lens is ~1/4-1/3 down on the screen. Since these screens are angular reflective, I would look into moving either the screen or projector up/down to see if you can eliminate the hot spotting. My screen is every so slightly brighter in the center compared to the edges, but I wouldn't call it hot spotting necessarily. It's only noticeable if I sit in a seat off to the side, which I do regularly. I notice it for a hot second and it melds away because it's so gradual, and I think I'm the only person who sees it.

Another possibility on the hot spotting, is you need to drop the brightness of your projector. The 5040 is pretty bright, you could drop it to eco mode and see if it makes any difference. You could also see if recalibrating the black levels via test patterns makes any differences. I suspect those are all different now with the 1.2 gain vs what you had before.

On the ambient light issues, it took me a bit to figure out the best setup. I don't use my overhead fan lights very often now, but I couldn't use them at all with my white screen. My can lights over to the side I can use w/o any washout, which is very nice. Everybody's setup is different though and it's all based on the incident angle of the lights on the screen vs your viewing angle. The good news with these ALR screens is you have options to fix washout, white ones you were left with bad contrast or having to treat the entire room. Much less hassle to adjust lighting angles than painting everything black and start tacking up velvet .
The projector is ceiling mounted with lens about a foot lower than top edge of the screen. What I meant hot spot is probably the same as you have seen. Sitting somewhat left to the center I can see left side of image brighter than the right side. This is more pronounced with brighter or lighter colored images and not so much in others. Like you said I can notice that since I know it's there. Others might not notice that. Not that big a deal. Overall I still think it's worth it for that very contrasty image I really like.
post #193 of 255 Old 04-28-2017, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Since these screens are angular reflective, I would look into moving either the screen or projector up/down to see if you can eliminate the hot spotting. My screen is every so slightly brighter in the center compared to the edges, but I wouldn't call it hot spotting necessarily. It's only noticeable if I sit in a seat off to the side, which I do regularly.
I guess the hotspot is actually supposed to be the "sweet spot" for angular reflective ALR screen, where you get the highest contrast ratio.

For the "typical" room height (~96") and screen height (>60"), re-positioning the screen will likely only shift the hot spot to a different part of the screen, not moving it off the screen.

I'm actually considering buying the Cinegrey 3D screen material to replace my matte white screen. I can live with the mild hot spot, but are there any "sparkles" or surface texture that's visible from 10' away?
post #194 of 255 Old 04-28-2017, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
I guess the hotspot is actually supposed to be the "sweet spot" for angular reflective ALR screen, where you get the highest contrast ratio.

For the "typical" room height (~96") and screen height (>60"), re-positioning the screen will likely only shift the hot spot to a different part of the screen, not moving it off the screen.

I'm actually considering buying the Cinegrey 3D screen material to replace my matte white screen. I can live with the mild hot spot, but are there any "sparkles" or surface texture that's visible from 10' away?
You have been active in this thread for over a year. You never purchased a cinegrey screen? I guess the Silver Ticket alr screen spoiled you against trying other alr screens?
post #195 of 255 Old 04-30-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:

I don't see any visual anomalies right now. No sparkles or texture. I've been on the projector a good amount this weekend playing video games and watching some tv. I can't find the image shift I posted about a few posts before either. I was looking for it since I didn't think it was a big deal previously, but noticeable if you looked for it. Now I don't know if I've retrained my brain or what, but I can't find it at all. That being said I've also rearranged my furniture slightly while I was installing full blackout shades a couple weeks back. Additionally I installed a new projector lamp and when I did that I spent more time squaring up the image and getting a better focus. So either brain retraining or just minor adjustments has eliminated any visual anomalies I had.

I was dead set on getting another projector to improve my contrast and go 4k, but now I think I'm going to wait another 6-12months or the 4k kinks to be worked out more. I'm very pleased with the contrast enhancement and minimal, if any artifacts this screen has.
post #196 of 255 Old 05-01-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:

I did not notice any sparkles or surface texture. You're right hotspot maybe a little too strong word for that. It could be looked at as sweet spot/area and the rest are darker areas. It's pretty gradual and only noticeable in bright and light colored images. It's not that big a deal to me. All in all I have no regret of getting this screen. The gain in contrast is way worth it.

Last edited by carlkpro; 05-01-2017 at 01:41 PM.
post #197 of 255 Old 05-09-2017, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Any thoughts on how this screen can handle HDR content? Does the lower brightness make this a bad choice for current and future HDR compatible projectors?
post #198 of 255 Old 05-09-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJ101 View Post
Any thoughts on how this screen can handle HDR content? Does the lower brightness make this a bad choice for current and future HDR compatible projectors?
The whole point of this screen is maintaining contrast in less than ideal room conditions. You can create a bat cave and use a matte white screen. In a non blacked out room, the incident light is going to wash out the HDR much more than any slight shift of perceived brightness from this screen.
post #199 of 255 Old 05-11-2017, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Question for the folks running LEDs on their frames, did you use the supplied wall brackets to mount the screen? If so, is your LED glow symmetrical around the screen? I'm running into a problem where the upper portion of my screen fits tighter to the wall than the lower, causing an uneven LED glow.

Should I put a shim between the mounting bracket and the wall or am I hanging this screen wrong? BTW I ran the LED strips inside the track where the screen mounts.
post #200 of 255 Old 07-25-2017, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Love the ALR capabilities of my Aeon 3D but the texture degrades the sharpness of my RS400. 92" screen at 12'. I run a 2.35 motorized White in front of it with an Anamorphic lens and the white is much better in holding the great sharpness of the 1080 and 4K content. I have white ceiling and this Aeon does a great job of reducing light from above though day and night. We use it for TV content etc during ambient daytime light conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #201 of 255 Old 09-02-2017, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 114
any thoughts on the AEON and the Silver ticket grey thin frame. They are about $100 difference but wasnt sure if the AEON was the better choice
post #202 of 255 Old 09-05-2017, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just installed the Cinegray 3d designer cut 135 inches diagonal yesterday on my diy frame. I'm fairly please with the screen, but there does appear to be some issues with it.

1. The material does have some vertical lines that do impair the picture. While I don't find these vertical lines objectionable in general, they create shading problems on the screen. For example, there is a noticeable vertical line toward the left third of the screen. If I sit on the right side of my couch, the image to the left of the vertical line appears slightly dimmer. If I then sit on the left of my couch, then the image appears dimmer to the right of the vertical line. If I sit in the center, the image is dimmer on the left side of the vertical line.

It's like these vertical lines create a slight shadow. I also notice this in the bottom middle of my screen where I think I may have pulled the material too tight. You can see a slight crease the frame makes in the material. Anything below this mark is considerably dimmer. It all fades out where the crease disappears.

Does anyone have any insight to any of this?

1. Did I make my screen too tight vertically that the center bottom portion of the frame is noticeable. Should I loosen the material a bit in the bottom middle?

2. The vertical creases that span the material. There's no way I could have tightened this material any further without ripping it. Will they go away in time or is this something I have to live with? I thought I read somewhere this seems all too common.

Thanks.
post #203 of 255 Old 09-07-2017, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytvstosee View Post
any thoughts on the AEON and the Silver ticket grey thin frame. They are about $100 difference but wasnt sure if the AEON was the better choice
I'm in the same boat.
Interested in both of these 'edgeless' screens, but I'm really leaning toward the Aeon because of the Cinegray 3D option.

I have purchased an Optoma UHD65 and am chomping at the bit to fire this baby up!
post #204 of 255 Old 09-07-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccol View Post
I just installed the Cinegray 3d designer cut 135 inches diagonal yesterday on my diy frame. I'm fairly please with the screen, but there does appear to be some issues with it.

1. The material does have some vertical lines that do impair the picture. While I don't find these vertical lines objectionable in general, they create shading problems on the screen. For example, there is a noticeable vertical line toward the left third of the screen. If I sit on the right side of my couch, the image to the left of the vertical line appears slightly dimmer. If I then sit on the left of my couch, then the image appears dimmer to the right of the vertical line. If I sit in the center, the image is dimmer on the left side of the vertical line.

It's like these vertical lines create a slight shadow. I also notice this in the bottom middle of my screen where I think I may have pulled the material too tight. You can see a slight crease the frame makes in the material. Anything below this mark is considerably dimmer. It all fades out where the crease disappears.

Does anyone have any insight to any of this?

1. Did I make my screen too tight vertically that the center bottom portion of the frame is noticeable. Should I loosen the material a bit in the bottom middle?

2. The vertical creases that span the material. There's no way I could have tightened this material any further without ripping it. Will they go away in time or is this something I have to live with? I thought I read somewhere this seems all too common.

Thanks.
Can't help you other than to say my Aeon version of the screen works fine. There is a sweet spot in the image. Or at least there used to be, I can't see it anymore. Either I've gotten used to it or when I adjusted a few things is reduced to being indistinguishable. Either way that should show more as a slow roll off away from where the center of your lens is. Kind of like when you shine a flashlight on something, the center is brighter and then the light dims as you go out. However it's nowhere near that extreme. Additionally I have nothing like the linear fall off like you are seeing. Possibly the material/frame isn't as flat as you think it is?
post #205 of 255 Old 10-01-2017, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Here are a few pictures watching Nebraska football in 4k from a few days ago.... On Aeon Cinegrey 3D screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170929_201951146_1506884070604.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	4.86 MB
ID:	2291228   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170929_201636119_1506884097888.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	2291230  
post #206 of 255 Old 10-26-2017, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Aches View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytvstosee View Post
I'm in the same boat.
Interested in both of these 'edgeless' screens, but I'm really leaning toward the Aeon because of the Cinegray 3D option.

I have purchased an Optoma UHD65 and am chomping at the bit to fire this baby up!
I have a uhd60 and received my aeon cinegrey 3d just 2 days ago. I was testing it out and noticed that it really brought the projector to life, especially with the blacks and color accuracy. Here are a few pics with lights on / off and HDR. No my screen will not be permanently located on that wall
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171026_133230_1509087100196.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	2305854   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171026_122006_1509087141979.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	2305858   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171027_105811_1509087517796.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	3.69 MB
ID:	2305872  

Last edited by Saadooness; 10-26-2017 at 11:59 PM.
post #207 of 255 Old 10-30-2017, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Getting ready to pull the trigger on an Epson 3100 and the Aeon Cinegrey 3d.

How much clearance is there between the screen and the wall? I have an intercom panel that sticks out about a half an inch, it will be behind the screen about 8 inches from the edge. I'd much rather just put the screen over it vs. removing it and mudding the hole.
post #208 of 255 Old 10-31-2017, 03:03 PM

In case anybody wanted a "professional review" Projector reviews did a review of the cinegray 3d today (http://www.projectorreviews.com/elit...rey-3d-review/). I think the review is a little lacking but a review none the less. I mean at least compare it to a non alr screen to compare ambient wash out.

Anyhow, at least they came away with mostly positive feedback. I'm still waiting on my new projector to see what 4k looks like. Got my jvc rs640 showing up this week and xbox one x next week. Based on the projectorreviews review, it doesn't appear they are seeing any issues w/ a native 4k projector. I wasn't expecting them to, but you never know.
post #209 of 255 Old 10-31-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teCh0010 View Post
Getting ready to pull the trigger on an Epson 3100 and the Aeon Cinegrey 3d.

How much clearance is there between the screen and the wall? I have an intercom panel that sticks out about a half an inch, it will be behind the screen about 8 inches from the edge. I'd much rather just put the screen over it vs. removing it and mudding the hole.
The wall to screen depth is about 1inch and the frame is about 3in thick side to side. So you should be fine. However if you have problems, just disconnect the intercom and save it. Nobody is going to see the hole behind the screen.
post #210 of 255 Old 11-08-2017, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I am currently thinking of getting a new 120" Aeon screen in either Cinewhite or Cinegrey. Still rocking the rusty W1070 and will do so until a viable and affordable 4k replacement arrives.
So if I understand this correctly, the grey gives you a little better contrast but sacrifices brightness. Is it really necessary though in a dark room? Does the image look better in a dark room at night or am I better off getting the Cinewhite?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page