Aeon Elite screen Cinegrey 3D - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #211 of 255 Old 11-10-2017, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Eh I guess this thread is dead. I'm just gonna get the Cinewhite one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 255 Old 11-14-2017, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Not for all.... :-)

i am think about new screen Cinegrey 3D /CineWhite.. or i will use paint and make some DIY
post #213 of 255 Old 11-14-2017, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by GENINC View Post
I am currently thinking of getting a new 120" Aeon screen in either Cinewhite or Cinegrey. Still rocking the rusty W1070 and will do so until a viable and affordable 4k replacement arrives.
So if I understand this correctly, the grey gives you a little better contrast but sacrifices brightness. Is it really necessary though in a dark room? Does the image look better in a dark room at night or am I better off getting the Cinewhite?
Depends on what you call a dark room. The contrast difference is not small, it's quite substantial. However how substantial depends on your room. If you have black carpet, everything covered black velvet, than yes I say get the cinewhite. If you just have dark paint on the walls and full light control, I say get the cinegray. It knocks down a whole lot of the light bouncing around the room.

Also I've had my jvc rs640 now for 1.5weeks and I'm very happy with how this screen handles 4k HDR. No additional issues with a brighter higher resolution projector, or my much dimmer sony hw50es.
Ftoast likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 255 Old 11-24-2017, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I'm very much interested in this screen, however i wonder how narrow one should follow the 1.5x distance to screen;
Lens is aprox. 315cm from screen, if i go for the 100", that means it needs to be (1.5x221) 331cm from screen
That means that my screen would be +- 15cm "to close" to the screen; Would this cause extra hotspotting or sparkling?
If i go for the 92 that gives me (1.5x204) 306 and i'm within the "rule"..but that's a big drop in size...:s
Thanks for any insights;
post #215 of 255 Old 11-29-2017, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cramer86 View Post
I'm very much interested in this screen, however i wonder how narrow one should follow the 1.5x distance to screen;
Lens is aprox. 315cm from screen, if i go for the 100", that means it needs to be (1.5x221) 331cm from screen
That means that my screen would be +- 15cm "to close" to the screen; Would this cause extra hotspotting or sparkling?
If i go for the 92 that gives me (1.5x204) 306 and i'm within the "rule"..but that's a big drop in size...:s
Thanks for any insights;
There seemed to be plenty of people using PJs like BenQ 1070 with Cinegrey 3D and none of them were complaining. I've even seen a couple claiming to have used actual short throw units with no issues.

I'll be going for a very similar setup to what you're describing (100" 3D with a BenQ [email protected]). Considering they suggest the same 1.5x throw for 5D as well (which has higher gain so I assume more prone to hotspots), I think it'll be fine. Especially in cinema mode with the lamp on Eco.

I'm very worried about one thing though. How on earth are you supposed to cover the corners of the frame without pulling the fabric over them? I read the instructions but I don't see how you can perfectly cover them and leave no metal exposed. And if you do pull the fabric over the corners, doesn't it get shredded?

Is showing a bit of metal corners unavoidable?
post #216 of 255 Old 12-27-2017, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Aeon Elite screen Cinegrey 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cramer86 View Post
Thanks for any insights;

I have a 100” Cinegrey 3D with a BenQ W1070 mounted 9’6” from the screen and I don’t see any hotspotting unless I sit on the floor. At normal chair height I don’t see any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #217 of 255 Old 02-05-2018, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Can anyone weigh in on how important the 1.5x throw ratio is? I'd like to get a 110" screen but I will be a few inches (~5") below the minimum 145" throw distance (1.5 * 97 screen width). I have a Sony HW45ES projector. Is brightness uniformity the main reason the minimum 1.5x ratio is specified?
post #218 of 255 Old 02-05-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwa View Post
Can anyone weigh in on how important the 1.5x throw ratio is? I'd like to get a 110" screen but I will be a few inches (~5") below the minimum 145" throw distance (1.5 * 97 screen width). I have a Sony HW45ES projector. Is brightness uniformity the main reason the minimum 1.5x ratio is specified?

My projector is 114” away from an 87” wide screen when it technically should be 131” according to the 1.5x width rule and I see no hotspoting or other abnormalities. So I would say you’ll be just fine.

As an aside how do you like your Hw45es? Been throwing around upgrading to it or a 5040ub for some time now

post #219 of 255 Old 02-05-2018, 09:14 PM

Good to hear.

I haven't had the time to watch that much since I got my HW45ES in December, but so far I like it. I was actually ready to pull the trigger on the 5040UB until I compared the lumen output of it and the 45ES on ProjectorReviews (not counting modes like dynamic which I will never use for serious watching). Once I realized the Sony is actually pretty close (if not brighter) than the 5040, I pulled the trigger. I'll probably upgrade to a 4k projector when I get a dedicated room and 4k HDR brightness gets better (and hopefully laser).

Projected on my white wall, I was very impressed with the brightness, but obviously the contrast wasn't that great. I actually just put up a Dark Energy .9 gain screen, but it's a tad too dark during colorful scenes and experiences some mild hot-spotting (not an overly bright center, but a bit dim on the edges). I will say that the black levels and light rejection properties of the screen are very good. If it weren't for brightness decay due to bulb use, I would probably keep it. Last night I compared it with some Cinegrey 3D / 5D samples and the black levels take a slight hit, but the brightness is an improvement enough to make me want to switch to Cinegrey 3D. I'll probably make the purchase in the next day or two, get it assembled, and do a side-by-side comparison with the DEA screen before I decide which one to return.

Here's a comparison of the DEA screen with a Cinegrey 3D sample:
https://streamable.com/rqcl8

Ignore parts where it looks like there's a huge difference in brightness. The beginning with the sky and the vertical pan with the trees around the 30s mark I would say is the most accurate depiction of the brightness difference.

Now that I think about it, if I'm experiencing some mild hot-spotting with my current .9 gain screen, would a higher gain screen increase the likelihood of more severe hot-spotting? Is there a chance that the Cinegrey 3D would actually have less of a chance of hot-spotting due to some other difference? I really want as bright a picture I can get without dimness on the edges, so if that means moving to 100" instead of 110" I'm willing to make the sacrifice.
post #220 of 255 Old 02-06-2018, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Good to hear.

I haven't had the time to watch that much since I got my HW45ES in December, but so far I like it. I was actually ready to pull the trigger on the 5040UB until I compared the lumen output of it and the 45ES on ProjectorReviews (not counting modes like dynamic which I will never use for serious watching). Once I realized the Sony is actually pretty close (if not brighter) than the 5040, I pulled the trigger. I'll probably upgrade to a 4k projector when I get a dedicated room and 4k HDR brightness gets better (and hopefully laser).

Projected on my white wall, I was very impressed with the brightness, but obviously the contrast wasn't that great. I actually just put up a Dark Energy .9 gain screen, but it's a tad too dark during colorful scenes and experiences some mild hot-spotting (not an overly bright center, but a bit dim on the edges). I will say that the black levels and light rejection properties of the screen are very good. If it weren't for brightness decay due to bulb use, I would probably keep it. Last night I compared it with some Cinegrey 3D / 5D samples and the black levels take a slight hit, but the brightness is an improvement enough to make me want to switch to Cinegrey 3D. I'll probably make the purchase in the next day or two, get it assembled, and do a side-by-side comparison with the DEA screen before I decide which one to return.

Ignore parts where it looks like there's a huge difference in brightness. The beginning with the sky and the vertical pan with the trees around the 30s mark I would say is the most accurate depiction of the brightness difference.

Now that I think about it, if I'm experiencing some mild hot-spotting with my current .9 gain screen, would a higher gain screen increase the likelihood of more severe hot-spotting? Is there a chance that the Cinegrey 3D would actually have less of a chance of hot-spotting due to some other difference? I really want as bright a picture I can get without dimness on the edges, so if that means moving to 100" instead of 110" I'm willing to make the sacrifice.

I really haven’t noticed much hotspotting you just have to mount the screen as close to centered on your viewing area as possible and try to get the midpoint of the screen as close to eye level as possible. How you have to position the screen and brightness changes based on seating position are very similar to how an older LCD tv behaved. See the pictures below which show the screen in moderate to high ambient light. Due to the iPhone cameras limitations picture 1 represents the actual amount of light and picture 2 is representative of the image I am actually seeing.

Last edited by OrcusVaruna; 02-06-2018 at 03:16 AM.
post #221 of 255 Old 02-06-2018, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Good to hear.

The Sony 45es is not a bright projector. It's only putting out around 900 lumens in eco mode with a new bulb. The Sony 45es is not a good match to use with a below gain alr screen. The Epson 5040 would have been a much better match. I've owned both. The Epson 5040 in Bright Cinema setting on eco mode was twice as bright as the Sony 45es in game setting on eco mode.
post #222 of 255 Old 02-06-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
The Sony 45es is not a bright projector. It's only putting out around 900 lumens in eco mode with a new bulb. The Sony 45es is not a good match to use with a below gain alr screen. The Epson 5040 would have been a much better match. I've owned both. The Epson 5040 in Bright Cinema setting on eco mode was twice as bright as the Sony 45es in game setting on eco mode.
Well I'm past the return period and based on the reviews / threads I read, I thought the Sony was the best choice. Sounds like maybe I would've been better off with the 5040, but hopefully a higher gain screen like the Cinegrey 3D will be satisfactory on high lamp mode. If not, then I guess I'll just use a white screen and have bad contrast / black levels.

Hoping to get a house sometime in the next few years so whenever that happens and I get a dedicated dark room, I'll definitely upgrade to the latest and greatest.
post #223 of 255 Old 02-06-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Well I'm past the return period and based on the reviews / threads I read, I thought the Sony was the best choice. Sounds like maybe I would've been better off with the 5040, but hopefully a higher gain screen like the Cinegrey 3D will be satisfactory on high lamp mode. If not, then I guess I'll just use a white screen and have bad contrast / black levels.

Hoping to get a house sometime in the next few years so whenever that happens and I get a dedicated dark room, I'll definitely upgrade to the latest and greatest.
Cinegrey 3D 120" or smaller screen would be a good match for the Sony HW45ES.
post #224 of 255 Old 02-06-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
Cinegrey 3D 120" or smaller screen would be a good match for the Sony HW45ES.
Good to hear. Going to buy a 110" right now!
post #225 of 255 Old 02-06-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Good to hear. Going to buy a 110" right now!
I've had that exact combo before. Image was bright with 110" Cinegrey and the Sony's black levels held up well to off axis light. I'm sure you will enjoy the two.

Last edited by LumensLover; 02-06-2018 at 05:59 PM.
post #226 of 255 Old 02-07-2018, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a Epson 2100 with dark blue walls and dark brown floors. But given its a walkout, i might have some decent lighting that i won't be able to control completely. Projector is mounted at 13-14ft and seating around 15. 106" Cinegrey 3d is what I am thinking of getting.. any opinions?
post #227 of 255 Old 02-14-2018, 08:32 PM

Hi all,

I set up my 110" Cinegrey 3D over the weekend and am pretty happy with the increased brightness.

However, there are a few cons:
  • The left and right edges of the screen are noticeably dimmer. As mentioned earlier, my throw distance is ~142" and the recommended throw distance (1.5 * screen width) is ~145". I also had this problem with the DEA screen, though maybe not as noticeable. This is probably due to my throw ratio and not so much the screen itself.
  • There's a few "lines" on the screen visible in bright scenes. I'm pretty certain they aren't ripples. The most noticeable one looks like a 6"-8" tall rectangle with a slightly darker tint going across the middle of the screen (horizontally), but only the very top center edge of it is distracting at times. The other line is very thin and vertical on the left side of the screen and has a bit of shininess to it and not really noticeable at all unless I'm looking for it.

The second problem is barely noticeable most of the time so I don't think it will be much of an issue, but the dimness on the edges is something making me consider exchanging the screen for a 100" version. I'll keep watching things over the next couple of weeks and see if it's just one of those things I get used to.

I suppose the issues I have aren't all that bad and I knew that ALR screens in general aren't going to be 100% satisfactory, but still a lot better than a white screen in a non-dedicated space, in my opinion.

Imgur mirror for the attached images: https://imgur.com/a/90i7p

Image comments if not viewing on imgur:
  • Green mspaint image: A horizontal rectangle which is slightly darker can be seen going across the middle of the screen. Only noticeable in bright scenes. Ignore the vertical lines, they are probably a results of my camera's shutter speed.
  • Grass picture with boar demon from Princess Mononoke: Best picture I could get which looks closest to in-person edge dimness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0376.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	2361516   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0387.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	762.0 KB
ID:	2361520  
post #228 of 255 Old 04-02-2018, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Got my Aeon Cinegrey 3D assembled and up. Using an Epson 3100 at about 2x width, the projector is on a shelf at the back of the room. Everything looks great so far.

Mine didn't come with felt edging that the earlier Aeon's did, I have aluminium edges that just come around on the front of the screen. Really like it, looks like a 120" wall mounted TV.

I didn't have any of the issues other people have reported with wrinkles. I worked from the center out following the instructions, did two springs per side before going to the opposite side and doing two more springs.
OrcusVaruna likes this.
post #229 of 255 Old 04-02-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

I set up my 110" Cinegrey 3D over the weekend and am pretty happy with the increased brightness.

However, there are a few cons:
  • The left and right edges of the screen are noticeably dimmer. As mentioned earlier, my throw distance is ~142" and the recommended throw distance (1.5 * screen width) is ~145". I also had this problem with the DEA screen, though maybe not as noticeable. This is probably due to my throw ratio and not so much the screen itself.
  • There's a few "lines" on the screen visible in bright scenes. I'm pretty certain they aren't ripples. The most noticeable one looks like a 6"-8" tall rectangle with a slightly darker tint going across the middle of the screen (horizontally), but only the very top center edge of it is distracting at times. The other line is very thin and vertical on the left side of the screen and has a bit of shininess to it and not really noticeable at all unless I'm looking for it.

The second problem is barely noticeable most of the time so I don't think it will be much of an issue, but the dimness on the edges is something making me consider exchanging the screen for a 100" version. I'll keep watching things over the next couple of weeks and see if it's just one of those things I get used to.

I suppose the issues I have aren't all that bad and I knew that ALR screens in general aren't going to be 100% satisfactory, but still a lot better than a white screen in a non-dedicated space, in my opinion.

Imgur mirror for the attached images: https://imgur.com/a/90i7p

Image comments if not viewing on imgur:
  • Green mspaint image: A horizontal rectangle which is slightly darker can be seen going across the middle of the screen. Only noticeable in bright scenes. Ignore the vertical lines, they are probably a results of my camera's shutter speed.
  • Grass picture with boar demon from Princess Mononoke: Best picture I could get which looks closest to in-person edge dimness.

You will notice the ripples caused by the refractive nature of the screen when viewing the screen at an upward angle. Ideally this screen is best viewed with your eyes around the mid point of the screen from your seated position. IME the edge dimness is reduced when your eyes are at the midpoint as well. Finally since this is a high gain screen any imperfections in the optics will readily show themselves on edge dimness. For instance a 1.3 gain screen will magnify brightness discrepancies by roughly 30%. With this being said the edge dimness is very much visible when using a BenQ W1070 but when I stepped up to a 5040ube it’s virtually non-existent.

post #230 of 255 Old 04-03-2018, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I was planning to get this screen (100") but after reading about it online I'm not sure it's going to work out for me. Because of furniture, the screen must be placed rather high up in our case, please see the attached image. Also the screen width to viewing distance ratio is 1.8, and we can't really get a bigger screen because of the size of the wall.

I tried contacting Elite Screens Europe but did not receive any reply. What do you guys think, does it make sense to use ALR in our room?
post #231 of 255 Old 04-05-2018, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I'm looking a bit more pop and contrast (currently using aeon cinewhite). How would this screen screen compare to cinewhite using an Optoma UHD65 with black walls, ceiling and carpet? Thanks

NAD T758v3, Emotiva XPA-3, XPA-5, UPA-5, JTR Triple 12 LP L/C/R, Htm-6 surrounds, Volt 6 atmos, SVS PC13 Ultra and JTR Cap 2400 ULF - Denon x2400h, Elac Debut F5, Elac Debut C5, Elac Debut A4, Klipsch r-12swi - Stereo Totem Mite
post #232 of 255 Old 04-06-2018, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttn333 View Post
I'm looking a bit more pop and contrast (currently using aeon cinewhite). How would this screen screen compare to cinewhite using an Optoma UHD65 with black walls, ceiling and carpet? Thanks

It’s a pretty drastic change in my experience especially for a projector with middling black levels like the uhd65. Also will help out how hdr looks since it’s a high gain screen. Just be aware though that you get some serious hot spotting if the screens midpoint is not at eye level. If you mount the screen properly the results are outstanding and far better then any alr material I’ve seen under $2000

ttn333 likes this.
post #233 of 255 Old 04-07-2018, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by teCh0010 View Post
Got my Aeon Cinegrey 3D assembled and up. Using an Epson 3100 at about 2x width, the projector is on a shelf at the back of the room. Everything looks great so far.

Mine didn't come with felt edging that the earlier Aeon's did, I have aluminium edges that just come around on the front of the screen. Really like it, looks like a 120" wall mounted TV.

I didn't have any of the issues other people have reported with wrinkles. I worked from the center out following the instructions, did two springs per side before going to the opposite side and doing two more springs.
teCh I would be really interested in seeing your setup if you are able to take a pic or two. I am considering the exact screen you pickup up and would really prefer the black alum edge to a felt as you mentioned. How did you feel about the construction of the frame, and how the screen itself was mounted to the frame? I have read about people having ripping during installing and i can honestly say it freaks me out to the point i wanted to build my own.
post #234 of 255 Old 04-07-2018, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxplicitone View Post
teCh I would be really interested in seeing your setup if you are able to take a pic or two. I am considering the exact screen you pickup up and would really prefer the black alum edge to a felt as you mentioned. How did you feel about the construction of the frame, and how the screen itself was mounted to the frame? I have read about people having ripping during installing and i can honestly say it freaks me out to the point i wanted to build my own.
I have the cinewhite version and installation was a breeze. You just have to be careful about sharp edges and take your time. Having another person assist you helps a lot. The sharp edge is really the corners for the most part. You have to pull and stretch the screen material around the frame and it's velcroed together. The aluminum edge just snaps onto the frame I believe. I didn't use it for mine because I prefer the edgeless look.

Question I have is my screen is mounted a little high so that eye level is at bottom 3rd of the screen, would there be issues with the cinegrey like hot spotting? Thanks

NAD T758v3, Emotiva XPA-3, XPA-5, UPA-5, JTR Triple 12 LP L/C/R, Htm-6 surrounds, Volt 6 atmos, SVS PC13 Ultra and JTR Cap 2400 ULF - Denon x2400h, Elac Debut F5, Elac Debut C5, Elac Debut A4, Klipsch r-12swi - Stereo Totem Mite
post #235 of 255 Old 04-08-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I have the cinewhite version and installation was a breeze. You just have to be careful about sharp edges and take your time. Having another person assist you helps a lot. The sharp edge is really the corners for the most part. You have to pull and stretch the screen material around the frame and it's velcroed together. The aluminum edge just snaps onto the frame I believe. I didn't use it for mine because I prefer the edgeless look.

Question I have is my screen is mounted a little high so that eye level is at bottom 3rd of the screen, would there be issues with the cinegrey like hot spotting? Thanks

When your eyes are below the mid point of the screen you will see hotspot vertical lines that are very distracting

ttn333 likes this.
post #236 of 255 Old 04-08-2018, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcusVaruna View Post
When your eyes are below the mid point of the screen you will see hotspot vertical lines that are very distracting

Is this statement only true for these types of screen or does that apply to white screens too?

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #237 of 255 Old 04-08-2018, 01:31 PM

My eyes are level with the bottom third of the screen and I do not experience the vertical hotstpot lines described above. The manual actually recommends (see attached) that the angle between the projector and center of the screen be equal to the angle between the viewer's eyes and the center of the screen so I can't imagine what situation would result in your eyes being level with the center unless the projector is extremely close to your head.

The left and right edges of the screen are noticeably dimmer during some scenes, but that's most likely due to my throw ratio being slightly below the recommended 1.5x ratio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 4.30.00 PM.png
Views:	210
Size:	350.4 KB
ID:	2387182  
ttn333 likes this.
post #238 of 255 Old 04-08-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
My eyes are level with the bottom third of the screen and I do not experience the vertical hotstpot lines described above. The manual actually recommends (see attached) that the angle between the projector and center of the screen be equal to the angle between the viewer's eyes and the center of the screen so I can't imagine what situation would result in your eyes being level with the center unless the projector is extremely close to your head.

The left and right edges of the screen are noticeably dimmer during some scenes, but that's most likely due to my throw ratio being slightly below the recommended 1.5x ratio.

Interesting I have experienced it both with my BenQ w1070 and now with my epson 5040 but maybe as you pointed out I too am seated closer to 1.0 then 1.5x

post #239 of 255 Old 04-13-2018, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I doubt that, that's the recommended viewing height, isn't it? According to Elite Screens it should work for me as well and my screen bottom would be at eye level.
post #240 of 255 Old 05-28-2018, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigorousXChris View Post
Do LEDs around the screen helped with perceived contrast?
I'm curious about this too. Just purchased and installed version 2 of the Aeon CineGrey 3D 135" (the version with springs and not the velcro). LED backlighting would be a nice finishing touch to the setup, but if this also increases perceived contrast this is a very worthwhile $150 upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page