Aeon Elite screen Cinegrey 3D - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #241 of 254 Old 01-24-2019, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcusVaruna View Post
It’s a pretty drastic change in my experience especially for a projector with middling black levels like the uhd65. Also will help out how hdr looks since it’s a high gain screen. Just be aware though that you get some serious hot spotting if the screens midpoint is not at eye level. If you mount the screen properly the results are outstanding and far better then any alr material I’ve seen under $2000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you say you get hot spotting, can you confirm whether this is due to mounting below the recommended 1.5 throw distance? My understanding is hot spotting can be bad when the trow distance is too short/close, so I'm curious if this ended up being your issue. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 254 Old 01-27-2019, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Cinegrey 135"

I love my cinegrey 135" it actually helps improve my 7-year-old projector's poor contrast. Highly recommend it.
post #243 of 254 Old 01-27-2019, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Aeon Elite screen Cinegrey 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Porter View Post
When you say you get hot spotting, can you confirm whether this is due to mounting below the recommended 1.5 throw distance? My understanding is hot spotting can be bad when the trow distance is too short/close, so I'm curious if this ended up being your issue. Thanks.

Placing the projector closer plays a roll but if you mount the screen and projector properly you can get away with a mount closer to 1.0 with no hotspotting. In my previous house I was right at 1.5 and in my current one I’m at about 1.0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 254 Old 04-15-2019, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86C415 View Post
There seemed to be plenty of people using PJs like BenQ 1070 with Cinegrey 3D and none of them were complaining. I've even seen a couple claiming to have used actual short throw units with no issues.

I'll be going for a very similar setup to what you're describing (100" 3D with a BenQ [email protected]). Considering they suggest the same 1.5x throw for 5D as well (which has higher gain so I assume more prone to hotspots), I think it'll be fine. Especially in cinema mode with the lamp on Eco.
Can you tell me your thoughts on it? Any hotspot / sparkling ?
post #245 of 254 Old 04-15-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcusVaruna View Post
Placing the projector closer plays a roll but if you mount the screen and projector properly you can get away with a mount closer to 1.0 with no hotspotting. In my previous house I was right at 1.5 and in my current one I’m at about 1.0

What do you mean by "mounting the screen and the projector properly"? How is properly in this case?
post #246 of 254 Old 04-15-2019, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markross_ita View Post
What do you mean by "mounting the screen and the projector properly"? How is properly in this case?
I think he just means at the recommended 1.5X the screen size for mounting distance.

General, mostly unrelated thought:

I've used my CineGrey 3D with a BenQ1070, an Epson 2045, an Epson 2150 (for a week), and now an Epson 3700.

Hot spotting was definitely most notable on the BenQ W1070. As to be expected, as it generally has a lower brightness uniformity than the Epson's.

However, of important note... I never noticed any hotspotting during real use, meaning that hotspotting was generally only notable when a solid color (white, particularly) was filling the entire screen. When real images & motion are occurring, not noticed at all.

If you plan to use the CineGrey 3D as a computer monitor would be the only use-case I would be concerned about hot spotting.

Another interesting tidbit I've encountered after using the CineGrey 3D for over 2 years now. Sparkles. A sparkle developed randomly one day. Out of the blue. I could only see it from certain perspectives and it was driving me nuts.

How could a sparkle randomly show up? Answer? Dust. Somehow after I dusted the screen and made sure it was clean, the sparkle was gone. Very odd. The dust must have somehow been changing the reflection angle on a tiny pinhead size of the screen to where the reflection was directly in to my eye balls.
post #247 of 254 Old 04-16-2019, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Aeon Elite screen Cinegrey 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by markross_ita View Post

Using it closer then the recommended 1.5x just requires you to test screen placement with the mounting height of your projector. In essence you have much less placement flexibility. For instance in my last setup my projector was mounted 10’ from a 100” screen and 6’5” off the floor. In order to not get hotspotting from my couch and recliner which place an average height persons eyes about 40” off the ground the bottom of my screen had to be 23-26” off the floor. This mounting height will be different for each setup but with a little bit of trial and error virtually any non short throw mounting distance can work with this screen.

post #248 of 254 Old 04-16-2019, 09:40 AM

What do you mean by any non short throw mounting distance ? How about a Benq W2000?
post #249 of 254 Old 05-02-2019, 09:34 AM

I have just received a Cinegrey 3D, but it’s come with Velcro rather than springs !

Was I sent an old version by amazon or a return ?
post #250 of 254 Old 06-30-2019, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Just curious if sparklies were any worse on 5D than 3D? Also, this screen material is many years old now, has anyone compared the original 3D/5D from 2016 vs. a screen produced this year? Sometimes manufacturers tweak screen material recipes...course, they usually start charging more for the newer material. I'm needing an electric ALR screen and the MSRP on Elites Starling 120" is $1624. Are there any other manufacturers I should be considering for that kind of money (or slightly more). I know SI electrics screens start about a $1K higher. Dalite, Draper, Vutec used to make competitive screens but seem to mostly have abstained from the ALR market. I'm ordering the sample pack from them Cinegrey, 3D, 5D and will report back.
post #251 of 254 Old 07-19-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post
Just curious if sparklies were any worse on 5D than 3D? Also, this screen material is many years old now, has anyone compared the original 3D/5D from 2016 vs. a screen produced this year? Sometimes manufacturers tweak screen material recipes...course, they usually start charging more for the newer material. I'm needing an electric ALR screen and the MSRP on Elites Starling 120" is $1624. Are there any other manufacturers I should be considering for that kind of money (or slightly more). I know SI electrics screens start about a $1K higher. Dalite, Draper, Vutec used to make competitive screens but seem to mostly have abstained from the ALR market. I'm ordering the sample pack from them Cinegrey, 3D, 5D and will report back.
I am interested in this as well. Did you ever compare the samples?
post #252 of 254 Old 07-23-2019, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
off-axis viewing

How bad is the off-axis decay in the Cinegray 3D? Most of the time I'll be on the couch in the center but sometimes we have friends over and people will sit pretty far to either side. Is it going to be super dim for them?

I'm looking at buying the Epson 5050 with it, so it's not the brightest projector ever, and this is obviously in a room with some ambient light...
post #253 of 254 Old 07-25-2019, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Would it make sense to use the Cinegray 3D in a light controlled room for more contrast? I have a BenQ HT550 projector and I am just trying to get the best picture I can in my little theater. I am assuming the 1.2 gain on this helps with overall brightness as well. Is this the case? Or is it just best to go with a regular, white, 1.1 gain screen?
post #254 of 254 Old 08-11-2019, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius_basterd View Post
How bad is the off-axis decay in the Cinegray 3D? Most of the time I'll be on the couch in the center but sometimes we have friends over and people will sit pretty far to either side. Is it going to be super dim for them?

I'm looking at buying the Epson 5050 with it, so it's not the brightest projector ever, and this is obviously in a room with some ambient light...
This chart is accurate when it comes to gain versus angle of viewing:
https://elitescreens.com/kcfinder/up...inChart(1).jpg

The 5050UB has good black levels, this screen could have a negative impact on those. If lights on viewing is really necessary a light grey or a better (more expensive) ALR screen is recommended.
To get those black levels from the 5050UB to begin with reflections from walls need to be eliminated, with at least dark paint or dark fabric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
Would it make sense to use the Cinegray 3D in a light controlled room for more contrast? I have a BenQ HT550 projector and I am just trying to get the best picture I can in my little theater. I am assuming the 1.2 gain on this helps with overall brightness as well. Is this the case? Or is it just best to go with a regular, white, 1.1 gain screen?
This type of screen can have a hotspot and other issues. Same advice as above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page