Does cheap velvet absorb as well as expensive velvet ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By airscapes

post #1 of 14 Old 02-27-2016, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Does cheap velvet absorb as well as expensive velvet ?

I wondering if there is a difference in light absorption performance with cheaper, thinner black velvet/velveteen versus thicker, heavier black velvet.

I have started using thumb tacked black velveteen in my temporary HT (also my master bedroom in a rental. laugh it up fuzzball)

After noticing the awesome gains in perceived and actual contrast/brightness I have decided to triple the amount of velvet I am using.

I am buying a home in approx. 18 months so as I purchase more velvet I am going to be more careful about how I make my cuts and also whether or not I am buying the best velvet for light absorption.

There are so many choices with black velvet insofar as price and thickness. There's also velveteen. Sometimes you even wonder if one vendor labelling a fabric velvet should really be labelled velveteen.

Does anyone have experience with heavy weight versus thinner weight black velvet and if one absorbs more light versus the other?

My thinking is if the heavy stuff is better I am going to spring for it right now and use it later when I build my dream HT. I am also going to eliminate cuts by running one long, continuous piece all the way around from the floor on one wall, around the ceiling, and back down the other wall. This way I will have more options when I move from my rental.

Last edited by anthonybuchanan; 02-27-2016 at 03:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-27-2016, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
I would suggest posting that question in the "black theater" thread linked previously for you I know members have compared velvet performance and discussed it in that thread.

Update: thread I was referring to is linked below by airscapes, same thread linked for OP in previous thread

FS: Tannoy AMS DC8 Speakers: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-a...-speakers.html

FS: RUIPRO 8K Fiber DisplayPort Cable 33 feet : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-a...d-support.html

Last edited by rboster; 02-27-2016 at 07:32 AM.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-27-2016, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Like screens you get what you pay for.. SY Triple black and Joann Royalty 3 are the velvet's of choice in the US.
This is the thread you need to read, post your questions there if you have any left, the subject is completely covered.. pun intended!
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...r-go-back.html
rboster likes this.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-27-2016, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4214 Post(s)
Liked: 4011
Take a flashlight to your fabric store and shine it on the velvet, you'll quickly see they are not all the same. That's how I determined the particular velvet I wanted to use.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208, 1" tweeters | 52, 5" woofers | 8, 18" subwoofers
post #5 of 14 Old 02-27-2016, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
I would suggest posting that question in the "black hole" thread linked previously for you I know members have compared velvet performance and discussed it in that thread.
I disagree with you 100 percent on this one.

I beleive in threads that ask a specific question like this one.

With this thread I wanted anyone specifically interested in velvet performance to be able to be able to quickly search and get the information that wanted without having to go through pages and pages and maybe find what they wanted.

The other longer threads are awesome though and they are fun to read.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-27-2016, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Take a flashlight to your fabric store and shine it on the velvet, you'll quickly see they are not all the same. That's how I determined the particular velvet I wanted to use.
Yeah, you're right.

I have one velvet at home. It seems to do a good job however I see the image a little on the velvet when I shine the image on it.

My local stores, that are far from each other by 20 miles, have only one velvet each and they may all be the same. I've called them so far.

I wanted to do some work today cause I am too busy to do anything during the week.

Maybe it's best that I order something claiming to be heavy. I wanted to get everything done this weekend. I'm addicted.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-27-2016, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
I disagree with you 100 percent on this one.

I beleive in threads that ask a specific question like this one.

With this thread I wanted anyone specifically interested in velvet performance to be able to be able to quickly search and get the information that wanted without having to go through pages and pages and maybe find what they wanted.

The other longer threads are awesome though and they are fun to read.
Dude. I'm not telling you this thread shouldn't exist. I'm saying if you are looking for exsisting data and information to answer this question, it can be found in the other thread. You could easily cut and paste those posts and add them to this thread if you are looking to create a "master thread" on the topic vs waiting for those same people to locate this thread and recreate their existing posts.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-27-2016, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
Dude. I'm not telling you this thread shouldn't exist. I'm saying if you are looking for exsisting data and information to answer this question, it can be found in the other thread. You could easily cut and paste those posts and add them to this thread if you are looking to create a "master thread" on the topic vs waiting for those same people to locate this thread and recreate their existing posts.

Honestly rboster I have reviewed threads started by you and I have to be honest you should have done a lot of things differently.

The specific information I am looking for does not exist in any thread that I could find. If it does exist and I simply could not find it I would bet it's an off topic post or 2 posted inside a larger 80 page thread.

Don't you see Dude this is an attempt to have a one stop place that answers this specific question.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-27-2016, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 453
In the US of A, the best velvet for the money is SY triple black, or Joann Royalty 3. That is the data you are asking about, that is the answer you will find in the 80 post thread. I have both hanging on my wall an you can not tell the difference as far as light absorption. The Joanns hangs nicer and does not wrinkle as much and I much prefer it over SY. However if you are wrapping something line a screen frame, the SY is not as heavy and better for this usage.
Just to quantify, cheap velvet and velveteen does not work as well as the above items. As was suggested, the flashlight test is very helpful if you need to justify the added expenditure.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #10 of 14 Old 02-28-2016, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for your response.

I have already made a purchase from my local store yesterday. I paid $10 per yard yesterday. It seems to be the same stuff I purchased a few weeks ago on sale at $7 per yard. Its a good deal and may be as good as the JoAnns stuff. It might be the same. I purchased it from Hancock Fabric. I am satisfied and appreciate your help.

I plan to lay off the black velvet for now at my rental except for adding 1 more 42" wide piece on the ceiling. This is the 42" piece I had initially put up but removed to put up the continuous piece the runs the walls and ceiling.

I see a substantial improvement. Here is the thread where I have added pictures.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-scr...ent-light.html

Everything is thumb tacked and will be removed and used in the future when I build a better HT.

Thanks again for your help.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-28-2016, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Take a look at Black Merlin from Rose Brand. I want to say that is what I used for my ceiling cover. It was over 10 years ago when I bought a roll so I think this is the same fabric.

http://www.rosebrand.com/product1207...Merlin-FR.aspx
post #12 of 14 Old 02-28-2016, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVReader View Post
Take a look at Black Merlin from Rose Brand. I want to say that is what I used for my ceiling cover. It was over 10 years ago when I bought a roll so I think this is the same fabric.

http://www.rosebrand.com/product1207...Merlin-FR.aspx
In all my years on earth I have never seen anything that screams "gold standard" like this stuff.

It has a price to go along with it too. What did you pay back ten years ago?

I am laying off for now since my rental bedroom right now has probably more black velvet than any other rental bedroom HT on earth.

When I build my HT I will maybe mix up my existing stuff with some better stuff. If this stuff is worth it I will mix it in.

I will order a sample. Give me a few months to tell you want I think about it.

Thanks a million for this suggestion.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-28-2016, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
In all my years on earth I have never seen anything that screams "gold standard" like this stuff.

It has a price to go along with it too. What did you pay back ten years ago?

I am laying off for now since my rental bedroom right now has probably more black velvet than any other rental bedroom HT on earth.

When I build my HT I will maybe mix up my existing stuff with some better stuff. If this stuff is worth it I will mix it in.

I will order a sample. Give me a few months to tell you want I think about it.

Thanks a million for this suggestion.

I believe the roll was between $600 and $700 delivered. It has really gone up in price from when I bought it.

Check Georgia Stage and see what they may have too. I don't know if they sell by the yard or not. They made all of the velour curtains that I have hanging along the walls. They look just like stage curtains and shorter in length. The attached picture probably isn't the greatest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stage 003a.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1284801  
post #14 of 14 Old 02-28-2016, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 592
When you have different quality velvets laying next each other, you're going to see a difference. However, I think that even cheap black speaker cloth is effective to the point of not breaking immersion or affecting picture contrast in a perceptible way when APL is <25%. The highest quality velvet is definitely necessary for using on the frame due to the reflection proximity but the rest of the room is not super critical (although you're on your own with zero edge frames).

Life is Lambertian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page