DreamScreen V6 UltraWeave AT Screen - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 197Likes

post #301 of 322 Old 03-11-2020, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
Chris responded quickly to my last email , last week (within 24 hours). They are probably scrambling as the host of their website is having issues, such that their website has been down.
Ok makes sense then. I will be patient for a bit.

Thanka

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 322 Old 03-11-2020, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question

Dreamscreen has v5 material for an 154" diag 2.35:1 screen for 499 euros. Is it worth triple price to go with v6 or 7? Or should I just jump on this deal. It's the size I was going for. Seems right. Not sure if the XD from Seymour would be better also.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #303 of 322 Old 03-11-2020, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How significant is the additional db loss in the V7 over V6, if I only have my center channel (and subs) behind the screen? Will this be easy enough to compensate with Audyssey and bumping up the gain for the center? My left and right channel speakers are already outside the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 322 Old 03-11-2020, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
One man's blessing is another man's curse...

I have AT electric masks on my Screen Research screen, and the fabric of the mask is very AT but isn't that dark at all, so the projector can still light up the fabric enough to make it stand out against a well treated screen wall.

I wonder if an optimal can be to get the LR just outside of the screen edge for many screen sizes, and have properly dark masks.

That’s what I was afraid of. It doesn’t look dark in the photos.
post #305 of 322 Old 03-11-2020, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 13459 Post(s)
Liked: 11099
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
One man's blessing is another man's curse...

I have AT electric masks on my Screen Research screen, and the fabric of the mask is very AT but isn't that dark at all, so the projector can still light up the fabric enough to make it stand out against a well treated screen wall.

I wonder if an optimal can be to get the LR just outside of the screen edge for many screen sizes, and have properly dark masks.
Are you masking image or black bar? AT masking is not that dark, since it is usually an open weave. But I never see anything lighting up my masking, since I am masking unused screen or black bar, no image. I do have a scope screen, so I am mainly masking unused screen.
post #306 of 322 Old 03-11-2020, 08:42 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 3198 Post(s)
Liked: 2339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Are you masking image or black bar? AT masking is not that dark, since it is usually an open weave. But I never see anything lighting up my masking, since I am masking unused screen or black bar, no image. I do have a scope screen, so I am mainly masking unused screen.
Masking is of black bar area of the projector, but it is projected black bar and not purely unused screen.
It is nearly never visible. However if the masks are closed and I have a fade to black, or hit hide, then the masked area peaks through.
It could be a combination of the screen fabric (Clearpix 4k) and the mask material.

It's not the end of the world, but still you can wish it were a bit better (given the price of these mask screens).
post #307 of 322 Old 03-11-2020, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2421 Post(s)
Liked: 1694
Quote:
Masking is of black bar area of the projector, but it is projected black bar and not purely unused screen.
It is nearly never visible. However if the masks are closed and I have a fade to black, or hit hide, then the masked area peaks through.
It could be a combination of the screen fabric (Clearpix 4k) and the mask material.

It's not the end of the world, but still you can wish it were a bit better (given the price of these mask screens).
Since its AT material I did a test with my current non-AT screen. I put on a movie and used one of my speaker grill and hold it up where black bars are. Not as dark as pure black velvet but much darker than the black bar itself. And my speaker grill cloth is almost see through that I use on Klipsch RP 280 speaker. They do make darker less see through speaker cloth out there such as GOM fabric and I'm confident it would be total black at the black bar area. That's my plan once I build AT masking panels.
cardoski likes this.

Theater room: Sony 45es | 120" screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Outlaw Audio 976 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M | Funk Audio subs | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson Tech MAs | Surgex XR 315 | GIK room treatment

TV Room: Panny 60 inch | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Axiom Audio M60/VP150/QS8 |
post #308 of 322 Old 03-11-2020, 11:21 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Since its AT material I did a test with my current non-AT screen. I put on a movie and used one of my speaker grill and hold it up where black bars are. Not as dark as pure black velvet but much darker than the black bar itself. And my speaker grill cloth is almost see through that I use on Klipsch RP 280 speaker. They do make darker less see through speaker cloth out there such as GOM fabric and I'm confident it would be total black at the black bar area. That's my plan once I build AT masking panels.
A movie is no use - you won't see the bars with a movie on the rest of the screen. it tends to happen when there is nothing else on screen. When there is nothing on screen you'll see the main screen area lit up by the projector a bit, and the masks lit up a tiny bit.
post #309 of 322 Old 03-12-2020, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Friends

I received my sample of V7. last night I hung it up in front of my V6 screen and wow, what a difference. Yes, it is brighter. Its a very visible improvement in brightness.

I did not take pictures sorry. But anyone who has an AT screen and feel then need more brightness this will be a visible upgrade from V6. I have had V6 material for almost 2-years now and loved it. I looked at all the other "affordable" AT materials woven perf..etc and they all were somewhat compromised in close seating. The V6 material can not be seen up close. The V7 is the same but visibly brighter.

I did not test for sound db loss. That is not a priority for me because my room correction will adjust for the loss.

Now lets work on a pre-order power buy

Jerry
post #310 of 322 Old 03-12-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horta View Post
Friends

I received my sample of V7. last night I hung it up in front of my V6 screen and wow, what a difference. Yes, it is brighter. Its a very visible improvement in brightness.

I did not take pictures sorry. But anyone who has an AT screen and feel then need more brightness this will be a visible upgrade from V6. I have had V6 material for almost 2-years now and loved it. I looked at all the other "affordable" AT materials woven perf..etc and they all were somewhat compromised in close seating. The V6 material can not be seen up close. The V7 is the same but visibly brighter.

I did not test for sound db loss. That is not a priority for me because my room correction will adjust for the loss.

Jerry
V6 is around 1.5db loss.
V7 is around 3.5db loss.
post #311 of 322 Old 03-12-2020, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Friends

Jerry
Cheers for the impressions, Jerry! Artifact wise did you notice any amount of shimmering/sparkling?
post #312 of 322 Old 03-12-2020, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiee View Post
Cheers for the impressions, Jerry! Artifact wise did you notice any amount of shimmering/sparkling?
Howiee, zero artifacts or negative issues. It looked just as smooth, clear, and detailed as the V6 material beside it, but brighter. Exactly what we would expect.
howiee likes this.
post #313 of 322 Old 03-12-2020, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Howiee, zero artifacts or negative issues. It looked just as smooth, clear, and detailed as the V6 material beside it, but brighter. Exactly what we would expect.
Sounds like a winner!
post #314 of 322 Old 03-12-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Yes, only differences is V7 is brighter and 3.5db loss vs 1.5db loss for V6
mhutchins likes this.
post #315 of 322 Old 03-13-2020, 03:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Yes, only differences is V7 is brighter and 3.5db loss vs 1.5db loss for V6

Multiple reflective layer screens like the V7 are a bad idea in general , no ?

You get cross-light pixel contamination, a reduction of detail and worse ANSI contrast. I would think the v7 picture quality, for these reasons, will be a major compromise compared to v6 and Seymour AT products !
chriscmore likes this.
post #316 of 322 Old 03-13-2020, 03:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:

You get cross-light pixel contamination, a reduction of detail and worse ANSI contrast. I would think the v7 picture quality, for these reasons, will be a major compromise compared to v6 and Seymour AT products !
That would certainly depend on the engineering, and our patented method is quite unique as such... I guess seeing is believing, but the overall principle would be to reduce the depth of each layer to a minimum, and also to use an array of densities that would not compromise sharpness. Sure, placing several layers of a knit, and especially a thicker knit, would reduce sharpness. Even one layered knit of many variants and types has internal cross contaminations. In sum, due to our custom design of each and every layer as well as the bonded nature of the fabric, the sharpness is not reduced on the v7 in comparison to the v6.

Proudly Representing DreamScreen.no // ScreenAcoustics.com // AT screens & more!
Founder AVforum.no // Norway´s leading AV community since 2002
post #317 of 322 Old 03-13-2020, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

...just took a couple of shots with my iPhone on the v7 installed in our main reference room. JVC DLA-N7 and a DCI lens. Not the perfect "proof of pudding" shots for sure, but the screen really appears very sharp. On the eye closeup shot I have placed a sheet of paper to the right.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2255.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	873.9 KB
ID:	2697132   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7473.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	975.0 KB
ID:	2697134  

Proudly Representing DreamScreen.no // ScreenAcoustics.com // AT screens & more!
post #318 of 322 Old 03-13-2020, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

...well, the eye-image flipped around for some reason, so paper to the left...

post #319 of 322 Old 03-13-2020, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can tell you from seeing it in person in my theater there is no visible compromise at all pictures quality-wise between the V6 and V7 other than a brighter image. I had the V7 hanging right in front of my V6 screen. I walked up to it and looked very close to that. The last thing I wish to do is make one part of the image better (brighter) but hut another (image detail).

I say just order a sample and see for your self. I ordered mine directly from Dreamscreen. I got it within a week.
dlinsley and Lygren like this.
post #320 of 322 Old 03-14-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:

I own V6 and have a sample of V7. I can't tell a difference in sharpness between V6 and V7. Made you should get samples of Neo, V6 and V7 and compare, like I have.
giomania likes this.
post #321 of 322 Old 03-19-2020, 03:07 PM
aka jfinnie

I just got my sample of V6 in the mail and I must say I'm a little conflicted by it. I was expecting a slam dunk...
Current screen is a Screen Research Clearpix 4k AT woven on a 92" AT top /bottom masking screen.

Offering up the A3 size sample to the screen I note:
  • (+) Absolutely no visible weave structure (a big improvement over the Clearpix 4k, easily visible at my seating distance, that is my main annoyance and reason I'm looking at other surfaces)
  • (-) Observable reduction in edge sharpness on the V6 vs Clearpix 4k, which surprised me given postings from others (on abeit huge screens) about pixel grids becoming visible.
  • No significant difference in gain (will measure later)

I wonder if my comparatively small size (92", smaller than any screen Dreanscreen actually sell pre-made) is a factor here in the loss of sharpness? Am I being unreasonable in expecting it to be sharper? Or just dumb? I don't think I've ever seen unfavourable mention of the sharpness for this surface.

On balance, would I prefer the reduction in grain structure at a small sharpness penalty? Probably, but just leaves me with that little doubt.
post #322 of 322 Old 03-19-2020, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2421 Post(s)
Liked: 1694
Quote:
I just got my sample of V6 in the mail and I must say I'm a little conflicted by it. I was expecting a slam dunk...
Current screen is a Screen Research Clearpix 4k AT woven on a 92" AT top /bottom masking screen.

Offering up the A3 size sample to the screen I note:
  • (+) Absolutely no visible weave structure (a big improvement over the Clearpix 4k, easily visible at my seating distance, that is my main annoyance and reason I'm looking at other surfaces)
  • (-) Observable reduction in edge sharpness on the V6 vs Clearpix 4k, which surprised me given postings from others (on abeit huge screens) about pixel grids becoming visible.
  • No significant difference in gain (will measure later)

I wonder if my comparatively small size (92", smaller than any screen Dreanscreen actually sell pre-made) is a factor here in the loss of sharpness? Am I being unreasonable in expecting it to be sharper? Or just dumb? I don't think I've ever seen unfavourable mention of the sharpness for this surface.

On balance, would I prefer the reduction in grain structure at a small sharpness penalty? Probably, but just leaves me with that little doubt.
Its possible the grain structure you're seeing is from your projector?

Theater room: Sony 45es | 120" screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Outlaw Audio 976 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M | Funk Audio subs | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson Tech MAs | Surgex XR 315 | GIK room treatment

TV Room: Panny 60 inch | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Axiom Audio M60/VP150/QS8 |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page