Reversible screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-29-2016, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Reversible screen

Ok guys and gals here me on this one. I don't want to get into great detail on material gains and colors Bc I'm not at that point yet. Rather I want your advice on a build. Albeit unconventional but I have my reasons and I'm pretty decided on figuring it out so I'm not looking for someone to talk me out of it rather help me with a solution. So here it is I have been talked out of a retractable screen for many reasons but this is what brings me my problem. I have my screen area boxed out with elect fireplace underneath two vertical soffits on each side so the screen will be recessed in this cove. I want to have a fixed frame diy build that I can flip backwards to display a deployment American flag on the back this flag has seen multiple deployment so it means a lot to me and I want to get it hung. I will be building a 110 screen 1x material wrapped over frame and blackout the back with fabric and display the flag So in theory I want to walk up grab one side of screen pull it towards me and flip it while the fixed side rolls in a track type system I was thinking something along the line of uni strut on top and bottom with a caster type when on top and bottom to glide in track and the free floating end be able to pin back in after it's flipped. Please set me know if you have any other ideas in order to accomplish this. Thanks in advance. I hope you can envision what I'm trying to do here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-30-2016, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 1961 Post(s)
Liked: 981
What you are talking about should work and people have made two sided screens before both with art work on one side and also to have two different screen materials. If I was thinking of designing such I might try it without the tracks and hinges. Think about two arms attached top and bottom at a pivot point half way across and another pivot point off the side such that the screen could swing out away from the wall and then rotate and swing back. something like a flip over white board only top and bottom rotation points and those arms attached to swing away from the wall for clearance.

Just an idea.

Bud
post #3 of 3 Old 11-30-2016, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 3522 Post(s)
Liked: 2702
Great project to honor our flag. One observation I'd make is that DIY screens tend to be heavier than manufactured screens with aluminum frames. A 110" screen is also big and bulky, and when mounted high on a wall could be a challenge to easily flip.

FYI, this main part of the Screens forum is primarily for discussion of manufactured screens while most of the DIYers most likely to respond to a DIY post like this tend to hang out in a sub-section of this forum called the DIY Screen Section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page