Got my Silver ticket screen laminated by Dark Energy Screens AMAZING - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #61 of 84 Old 03-05-2017, 06:12 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 282 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3797 Post(s)
Liked: 1764
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
I actually agree with everything you said. I'm tired of flipping through screens and audio equipment. That journey cost of lot of money for a little returns. If this screen is even in the same ballpark of performance as the Black Diamond I will consider it a smash hit.
I see a very Happy Camper in the near future. In the same Ballpark? How about a Grand Slam in the final Inning of the World Series?

The DEA absolutely trashes the BD screen in virtually every way you care to compare. But take into consideration the cost difference and it just becomes insane. If we do care to compare to any other Mfg Screen, we reserve that right to do so to the DNP Supernovas

Such a testimonial does not come either lightly or without merit. I look forward to your review, coming as it will from someone who has gone through so many disappointing experiences.

Need more food for thought?
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-scr...en-review.html

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 84 Old 03-05-2017, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
I see a very Happy Camper in the near future. In the same Ballpark? How about a Grand Slam in the final Inning of the World Series?

The DEA absolutely trashes the BD screen in virtually every way you care to compare. But take into consideration the cost difference and it just becomes insane. If we do care to compare to any other Mfg Screen, we reserve that right to do so to the DNP Supernovas

Such a testimonial does not come either lightly or without merit. I look forward to your review, coming as it will from someone who has gone through so many disappointing experiences.

Need more food for thought?
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-scr...en-review.html
Looking forward to it. I also had two DNP Blade screens. Can't wait to see how the DEA screen compares.
post #63 of 84 Old 03-06-2017, 12:00 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Looking forward to it. I also had two DNP Blade screens. Can't wait to see how the DEA screen compares.
You had 2 different DNP Blades, eh? OK...what was your primary complaints about them? Image? Construction? Performance? Cost? All of those?

How many of the 20 were returned out of hand, and how many did you simply "eat"?

Ya gotta know I / we want your satisfaction to be complete...but you also must realize that without hearing adequate justification as to why fully 20 different ALR screens have come and gone, it is just a bit too easy to assume a large part of the failings are governed by your own misconceptions of what ALR screens are capable of, and / or a lack of knowing what not to expect.
(Although the latter seems pretty unlikely, mind you...as surely you've done more than a bit of conspicuous research.)

Certainty things such as Artifacts, grossly limited Viewing Cones, Banding, Hot Spotting, Color Shifting....all are well known as being among the caveats of ALR screens, especially those who claim aggressive performance. And while some ALR screens fall under that category, ISF rated versions such as DNP screens are almost always exempt. Almost.

Primarily a DNP's biggest issue is it's exorbitant cost. Seldom are they found wanting in the ALR performance venue.

For many, the root of most problems lay in trying to overcompensate for excessive and/or inappropriately directed room lighting, both Interior & Exterior supplied. Either the ALR screen is not designed to combat the issue at hand, or the PJ is too anemic for a sub 1.0 Gain surface...or as happens with some other examples...ALR screens with excessive Gain characteristics try to solve most issues by directing virtually all projected light back at the viewer...with the resulting ultra Narrow Viewing Cones and interminable Hot Spotting. And even then, if any Room / Sunlight is also coming from that direction....it all goes for naught.

In any case, prefacing your own next purchase with a thorough explanation of your own conditions, expectations (ie:hopes), and what all those various ALR screens failed to do for you might help ward off another set of obtrusive results. No ALR Screen Mfg should want to force their product on you via false claims, and DEA certainly does not. That is why DEA, through Peer Reviews and what Screen Shot examples that are shown, something more akin to "Real World" examples are pursued. No doctored Photos, Double Exposures, Cut-N-Paste, or the use of excessively high Lumen PJs, can ever provide such, and unfortunately the world of Commercially available ALR Screens is rife with such misleading advertisement.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 84 Old 03-06-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
You had 2 different DNP Blades, eh? OK...what was your primary complaints about them? Image? Construction? Performance? Cost? All of those?

How many of the 20 were returned out of hand, and how many did you simply "eat"?

Ya gotta know I / we want your satisfaction to be complete...but you also must realize that without hearing adequate justification as to why fully 20 different ALR screens have come and gone, it is just a bit too easy to assume a large part of the failings are governed by your own misconceptions of what ALR screens are capable of, and / or a lack of knowing what not to expect.
(Although the latter seems pretty unlikely, mind you...as surely you've done more than a bit of conspicuous research.)

Certainty things such as Artifacts, grossly limited Viewing Cones, Banding, Hot Spotting, Color Shifting....all are well known as being among the caveats of ALR screens, especially those who claim aggressive performance. And while some ALR screens fall under that category, ISF rated versions such as DNP screens are almost always exempt. Almost.

Primarily a DNP's biggest issue is it's exorbitant cost. Seldom are they found wanting in the ALR performance venue.

For many, the root of most problems lay in trying to overcompensate for excessive and/or inappropriately directed room lighting, both Interior & Exterior supplied. Either the ALR screen is not designed to combat the issue at hand, or the PJ is too anemic for a sub 1.0 Gain surface...or as happens with some other examples...ALR screens with excessive Gain characteristics try to solve most issues by directing virtually all projected light back at the viewer...with the resulting ultra Narrow Viewing Cones and interminable Hot Spotting. And even then, if any Room / Sunlight is also coming from that direction....it all goes for naught.

In any case, prefacing your own next purchase with a thorough explanation of your own conditions, expectations (ie:hopes), and what all those various ALR screens failed to do for you might help ward off another set of obtrusive results. No ALR Screen Mfg should want to force their product on you via false claims, and DEA certainly does not. That is why DEA, through Peer Reviews and what Screen Shot examples that are shown, something more akin to "Real World" examples are pursued. No doctored Photos, Double Exposures, Cut-N-Paste, or the use of excessively high Lumen PJs, can ever provide such, and unfortunately the world of Commercially available ALR Screens is rife with such misleading advertisement.
The DNP 08-85 was as close to perfect as I've seen. My only complaint at the time was projector technology in terms of calibrated lumens had not caught up with it yet. The DNP 23-23 had a vibrant, brilliant picture however it did not preserve visible contrast levels anywhere near as good as the 08-85.

I flipped through many alr screens simply because I was curious about various product offerings. I've always lived frugally so money was not a problem. I resold every screen I've owned with the exception of a Elite Screens Aeon screen which I returned because the build quality was pure garbage.

Last edited by LumensLover; 03-06-2017 at 06:14 AM.
post #65 of 84 Old 03-06-2017, 07:20 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Thank you for the explanation. It sounds more reasonable now, and I can certainly understand the issue with available lumen for the 08-85. While at a Trade Show back in 2011, DNP was using a Digital Projection HIGHlite Cine 1080p 330 -4500 lumen PJ for that model (110") ...but to their credit they actually had a placard posted stating that the screen needed a minimum of 2500 lumen. The DNP 23-23 was also there, and so was graced with a Digital Projection HIGHlite Cine 1080p 260. It was shocking Bright.

Now for sure, DNP was showing both screens in full out Commercial lighting....10K Lumen Overhead HPS Fixtures were everywhere. So yeah...the screens needed the horsepower. But still...if they would have failed with that advantage, then why bother to show 'em.

Laughingly, SI was there too, with a fully hooded Booth and also using a 3500 lumen BenQ, and they were basically shamed.

post #66 of 84 Old 03-06-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the explanation. It sounds more reasonable now, and I can certainly understand the issue with available lumen for the 08-85. While at a Trade Show back in 2011, DNP was using a Digital Projection HIGHlite Cine 1080p 330 -4500 lumen PJ for that model (110") ...but to their credit they actually had a placard posted stating that the screen needed a minimum of 2500 lumen. The DNP 23-23 was also there, and so was graced with a Digital Projection HIGHlite Cine 1080p 260. It was shocking Bright.

Now for sure, DNP was showing both screens in full out Commercial lighting....10K Lumen Overhead HPS Fixtures were everywhere. So yeah...the screens needed the horsepower. But still...if they would have failed with that advantage, then why bother to show 'em.

Laughingly, SI was there too, with a fully hooded Booth and also using a 3500 lumen BenQ, and they were basically shamed.
Lmfao. That sounds like Screen Innovations. Their used car salesman approach to overcharging customers and only showing their screens in bat caves does not surprise me.
post #67 of 84 Old 03-06-2017, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I don't see mention of the laminate option on the website. Does that have to be done by sending in the screen or is it a diy option? I'd be interested in doing it to my silver ticket 120. You should post basic pricing info even if you don't allow purchase online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #68 of 84 Old 03-06-2017, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Lmfao. That sounds like Screen Innovations. Their used car salesman approach to overcharging customers and only showing their screens in bat caves does not surprise me.

so after doing this for 30 years (my first HT had Dolby Surround Sound and Stereo VCR), I found that "happy with your home theater" is really a choice. I have spent 6 figures on a previous HT and still was not happy. I always found something to nit pick. My current HT cost much less and I decided that "bang for the buck" was where I want to be, and I still find flaws, but I just choose to enjoy the movie and realize perfection will never be obtained

If I agree with you then we will both be wrong
post #69 of 84 Old 03-20-2017, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by contactjustind View Post
I don't see mention of the laminate option on the website. Does that have to be done by sending in the screen or is it a diy option? I'd be interested in doing it to my silver ticket 120. You should post basic pricing info even if you don't allow purchase online.

Can anyone help with my question? Also, does the projector have to be perfectly centered?

post #70 of 84 Old 03-22-2017, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
If such is the case, post visuals of the examples, where / when received and from what source, and elaborate on how the results were obtained.

Strange how one can express such definitive and exact figures, yet nowhere have I seen the same individual actually post any testing regimen with examples and graphics.

So far all I have seen is commentary.
This post reeks of pretentious pseudo intellectualism. "Strange how one..."? really? This is forum for diy screens not a peer reviewed scientific journal. Get over yourself. Obviously you are threatened by this guy because you threadcrap on every single thread he posts and dismiss any opinions he posts on here. Isn't it a little asinine to accuse him of fabricating his opinion of the mentioned screens without without ever seeing them in person?
post #71 of 84 Old 03-22-2017, 10:49 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakapo View Post
This post reeks of pretentious pseudo intellectualism. "Strange how one..."? really? This is forum for diy screens not a peer reviewed scientific journal. Get over yourself. Obviously you are threatened by this guy because you threadcrap on every single thread he posts and dismiss any opinions he posts on here. Isn't it a little asinine to accuse him of fabricating his opinion of the mentioned screens without without ever seeing them in person?
Odd that all of a sudden you deigned to pull up a post from 2 months prior to state an opinion that is in fact not based on knowing the real intent and purpose behind what we all want to try to see accomplished on Screens. Peer review is absolutely necessary in order for others to have enough information to adjudge that anything ventured by ANY individual or Entity merits just and due consideration. That doesn't mean publishing a White Paper, or countless Drafts of Graphs and Measurements (...as some have actually done...) it simply means visual examples and End User evaluations that can serve to validate expressed comments go much further to justify such commentary.

And of course...keep in mind that this is NOT the DIY Screen Forum....this is Screens...and Dark Energy is a Mfg product, as are the previously referenced items, and all of them demand that they be "Peer Reviewed" in the least. And look around...this Forum is absolutely rife with Peer Reviews. One cannot solely depend on what they see printed up or shown by the Mfg's themselves.

It's also quite laughable to say I'm threatened by Ftoast. We may disagree at times but we both also know why the other has distinct preferences. And the fact we do not hesitate to express them doesn't mean we disrespect the other. Only someone who isn't familiar with things would venture the comment you did. My request for more information was followed by Ftoast's response that he would in fact follow up with a detailed posting of the requested examples. 2 months later.....? But I don't hold that against him...I don't...because I myself have at times stated I'd try to comply with another Member's requests, only to put it far enough back on the Stove it gets forgotten.

Also humorous is to see anyone state I dog his posts to express contrary comments. In truth, you have that backwards to some extent, as even a cursory study will show I'm almost in every case the person who is posting first, and he's the person who is following behind. But even so, I know his postings are usually done with the right intentions in mind. Again, only a view from the outside looking into a window that has things going on you know less than little about or of people you have not studied closely enough to actually know enough to comment on could generate such a statement.

Posts like yours show more of a "knee-jerk-edness" than they do any forethought or reasoning. Again...given the circumstances...it seems odd.

.......and who ya callin' "pseudo" anyway?

post #72 of 84 Old 03-27-2017, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Whoops. I totally blame Sony for getting my LaserPJ back to me just in time for it to practically absorb every bit of free time with its "who shut off my projector" level of blacks.
Seriously though, sorry for the ridiculous delay..here's the promised post:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-di...-material.html

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #73 of 84 Old 03-27-2017, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinjosea View Post
Another Happy Customer.

Thank you Stephen for recommending screen for; after long time I finally got it installed. It is simply amazing, every one thought it is big LED TV, pictures are so amazing I highly recommend anyone Dark Energy screen without any doubt. Please attached picture not clear one take with my cell phone, when I get chance I will with DSLR and send it for reference.
What size is the screen and what projector?
post #74 of 84 Old 03-27-2017, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post
What size is the screen and what projector?
Screen 104" - 2.35:1
Projector :- JVC RS-55 (2012 version)
Throw distance :- 15 feet.

Geek Cinephile
post #75 of 84 Old 03-27-2017, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinjosea View Post
Screen 104" - 2.35:1
Projector :- JVC RS-55 (2012 version)
Throw distance :- 15 feet.
Thanks. Zero edge (thin profiles)?

Last edited by tractng; 03-27-2017 at 03:05 PM.
post #76 of 84 Old 03-27-2017, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 6
It is DIY frame, DarkEnergy offer custom screen without frames as well as with frames, please contact stephen77 . He helps me to choose my screen.

Geek Cinephile
post #77 of 84 Old 11-07-2017, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What's the cost to have a 120" solver ticker screen laminated?
post #78 of 84 Old 03-27-2018, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hello,
I just purchased this DEA screen today. I received amazing customer service from a dude named Stephen. I plan on using a DSLR camera and doing a video review of the screen when I get it. It's good to see that there are so many positive reviews. It quells my concern buying a product that I can't see in person before purchasing. I wasn't paid to post a video or anything, I see that most people are skeptical of this screen. I am too, but I am willing to be a guinea pig for everyone. Hopefully the screen performs well! I'm not new to AV either, I've had different projectors and screens since I joined the military in 2009.
post #79 of 84 Old 03-27-2018, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro25 View Post
Have a quick question about the Dark Energy Screens,
Is there a reason why the prices are not listed?, I'm always wary about business who don't list the prices of their items.
Yeah, I was too. You're not alone. However, to my surprise, the prices were 1/4 the cost of the high end ones I got quotes on. I called Screen Innovations, they wanted 3800 dollars...That's too much for me haha. I ordered a DEA .9 screen today. If you'd like, keep an eye out as I will be doing a video review when I get it.
post #80 of 84 Old 03-27-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I've already owned over 20 different alr screens. I just sold a new Black Diamond 120" screen yesterday. I do plan to purchase a Dark Energy screen soon. I will give honest feedback after purchase. My impressions will not be coming from a "oh this looks better than Silver Ticket" background.

I am also not going to be easily amazed. I dont like sinking more money into cheap products. Better to do it right the first time if possible. So I will be purchasing a new thin bezel screen from Stephen soon.

I hate the dated velvet look so definitely won't be that. I am honest and I don't sugar coat things. Kaygee's zero edge screen looked every bit as good as the Black Diamond I sold going by his videos.

I'm only saying the laminated screen looked faded badly in the pics.
Oh my goodness. I was quite the pessimist back then. Looking back at my old posts in these previous Dark Energy Screens threads really makes me shake my head now. If I only knew then what I know now.

If Dark Energy Screens can make a pessimistic, seen everything, obsessive compulsive guy who will sell a product at the slightest hint of a flaw person like me a believer, they can make anybody a believer. That is a testimony in itself.
MississippiMan likes this.

Last edited by LumensLover; 03-27-2018 at 07:24 PM.
post #81 of 84 Old 03-27-2018, 07:54 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Far be from me to ever consider sayin' "I told all ya all so"

............but I did.

MississippiMan don't hunker down with no junk.....and my personal relationship with Stephen and involvement in the DEA concept showed me it was always clearly a winner from the start.

Just so all ya all know sumpthin'......I counseled patience to Stephen over the last couple years, knowing full well the potential of DE Screens. Just put out a product that does what it is supposed to do...and at a reasonable price, and people will start to take notice soon enough. And he took that advice...not an easy thing to do with himself knowing how incredible the application is. But just knowing that a focus on personal service and putting a great product into enough Member's hands would reap rewards was enough to allow for a waiting period.

Convincing Members like LumensLover is what it takes, for it is a well known thing that as far as delivering on one's promises:

"Your strongest doubters will become your staunchest advocates"

post #82 of 84 Old 03-27-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Far be from me to ever consider sayin' "I told all ya all so"

............but I did.

MississippiMan don't hunker down with no junk.....and my personal relationship with Stephen and involvement in the DEA concept showed me it was always clearly a winner from the start.

Just so all ya all know sumpthin'......I counseled patience to Stephen over the last couple years, knowing full well the potential of DE Screens. Just put out a product that does what it is supposed to do...and at a reasonable price, and people will start to take notice soon enough. And he took that advice...not an easy thing to do with himself knowing how incredible the application is. But just knowing that a focus on personal service and putting a great product into enough Member's hands would reap rewards was enough to allow for a waiting period.

Convincing Members like LumensLover is what it takes, for it is a well known thing that as far as delivering on one's promises:

"Your strongest doubters will become your staunchest advocates"
Amen to that. I could not have worded the aforementioned turn of events any better.
post #83 of 84 Old 03-30-2018, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 399
If it’s a dedicated movie room with black blinds, matt dark grey walls and ceiling is there any point in considering a ALR screen?

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #84 of 84 Old 03-30-2018, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
If it’s a dedicated movie room with black blinds, matt dark grey walls and ceiling is there any point in considering a ALR screen?
If your room's lights aren't aimed/controlled to avoid hitting the screen and you like to watch with some lights on often enough for it to be an issue, an ALR screen could be a good option depending on the location of the lights you like to use (ALR screens are good at fighting lights hitting them from an angle that's fairly different than the projector's, but lights that hit the screen from a position somewhat near or behind the projector can't be fought effectively by any screen).

It's often both cheaper and a bit better for image-quality to control/aim/shield room lights that are used during projection instead of fighting them with a screen, but that's not always an option for some folks...and there's no law saying you can't use a mix of both (ALR and light-control) to some degree if that works well for you.

An ALR screen can also help if your grey walls/ceiling are still giving a noticeable amount of reflection back onto the image from a small room, one or more surface being quite close to the screen, or some of the surfaces simply still being light-colored enough to reflect a noticeable amount of light.
Once again, using a darker color or a better light-absorbing fabric can often cost less and compromise your image less, but that's not always an option for some folks.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415

Last edited by Ftoast; 03-30-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page