Rear Projection screen distance for Optima 4k UST - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-15-2017, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Rear Projection screen distance for Optima 4k UST

I am building a home theater with a 20 foot by 8.5 foot 2.39:1 screen.
How much room would I need behind the screen for the Optoma 4k UST projector (0.18 throw) in order to project an image that size?

As background, I am initially going to make the screen front projection as I don't want to spend $20k on a Optoma 4k UST. However, I am making the assumption that prices for the 4k UST or its replacement will decline over time and I will eventually get one. I would rather define the dimensions of the room now than change later.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-18-2017, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked: 793
If the .18 is based on width, you'd need .18x20 = 3.6 ft.

Are you aware of the cost of a quality RP screen that size?

That throw ratio will require an optical RP screen, and if it existed, would cost a fortune.

Noah
post #3 of 5 Old 01-18-2017, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 3066
Limited specs announced for the Optoma 4k UST suggest a maximum 3,000 lumens and maximum screen size of 140" diagonal. Your 20' wide screen would have a diagonal of 260" which is beyond the design limits of a 3,000 lumen UST projector.

As with your other thread about using 4 projectors on a 20' wide screen it appears that you are just brainstorming wild ideas without having any real experience or knowledge of the fundamental technical issues inherent in video projection.

Screens as large as 20' wide and projectors that can properly fill them with an adequately bright, quality image are expensive. Before going any further it would be good to know exactly how much money you have budgeted for this project.

Last edited by Dave in Green; 01-18-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-18-2017, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 1203
Plus, UST projectors and rear projection are a really poor combination. You need rear projection material which is of very high dispersal, and it would shock me if it could hold the resolution properly.

You clearly have a very large space, but I would be looking at a setup that is lined up with your budget, not your dreams... Unless the two overlap.

Porsche dreams on a Yugo budget just don't always work out well.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-19-2017, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Plus, UST projectors and rear projection are a really poor combination. You need rear projection material which is of very high dispersal, and it would shock me if it could hold the resolution properly.
This is a great point which most people seem to be hopelessly unaware of. It is difficult but not impossible but certainly requires a Porsche budget!!!

DT Screens will be showing an 8ft wide 2.4 aspect UST rear projection with masking and art work at ISE in a couple of weeks time. In that one the Barco projector throw is just 0.3:1 and it is using a folding mirror to minimise the size. Pretty cool solution but about £25k plus the chosen projector.

Also important to point out that in that case the projector a native 2.37 aspect unit since you are not going to get Cinemascope at that throw with anamorphic lenses or zooming.

Neil Davidson - DT Screens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page