Recommendation for a manual pull 120'' screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Craig Peer
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 05-08-2017, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Recommendation for a manual pull 120'' screen

I have been looking for a screen that has the least amount of waves and ripples. I have been reading amazon etc and a lot of people complain at the waves.


16:9 screen


I want retractable because it's an area that is also used when entertaining guests.


http://www.homedepot.com/p/Inland-Pr...A&gclsrc=aw.ds


http://www.homedepot.com/p/Elite-Scr...-204123793-_-N


https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens...ct_top?ie=UTF8


http://www.bestbuy.com/site/elite-sc...?skuId=4401217
Asgard1an is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 05-08-2017, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,789
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6619 Post(s)
Liked: 7691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard1an View Post
I have been looking for a screen that has the least amount of waves and ripples. I have been reading amazon etc and a lot of people complain at the waves.


16:9 screen


I want retractable because it's an area that is also used when entertaining guests.


http://www.homedepot.com/p/Inland-Pr...A&gclsrc=aw.ds


http://www.homedepot.com/p/Elite-Scr...-204123793-_-N


https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens...ct_top?ie=UTF8


http://www.bestbuy.com/site/elite-sc...?skuId=4401217
The Elite with MaxWhite 1.1 material is probably your best bet. For $200 you don't have too much to lose. Especially compared to the cost of a tensioned electric screen.
shivaji likes this.
Craig Peer is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 05-08-2017, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
The Elite with MaxWhite 1.1 material is probably your best bet. For $200 you don't have too much to lose. Especially compared to the cost of a tensioned electric screen.


On their website it is cheaper too: at $153.


https://www.elitescreenshop.com/Manu...p/m120uwh2.htm


What is maxwhite?
Asgard1an is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 23 Old 05-09-2017, 04:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,366
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
All non-tensioned screens eventually develop waves, how noticeable they are with viewing material is another question. In general the basic matte white screens you don't notice the waves as much as other materials. If you look for it you will notice them. I work as an installer and we do mostly projector systems. We have had good luck with Da-lite, the Model B is good for a very basic screen. I like the High Contrast matte White material for most situations better than the basic matte white but it does cost more. I would also recommend the CSR (controlled screen return) especially if you have kids but that raises the price even more. It keeps the screen from being 'snapped' like a window shade you let go of when being retracted, it gradually goes up so it can't be snapped. Nothing wrong with screens that don't have CSR just be more careful when retracting it and that goes for all brands of screens not just Da-lite. The company I work for has used many brands of screens and have often found that cheap is sometimes just that. Caveat Emptor.
Ellebob is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 05-09-2017, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 7,935
Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2768
The Da-Lite Model C pull-down models have over the years been recommended on AVS Forum as being less prone to waves than the Model B and models from other brands since the Model C has a larger internal roller. It also has steel instead of nylon ball bearings and is just generally more heavy-duty and robust than other models.
Dave in Green is online now  
post #6 of 23 Old 05-09-2017, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,366
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
I just looked up the pricing on the Model B and I forgot its largest size is 106" so if the OP wants 120" the Model C is the only choice for Da-lite but it would be considerably more expensive than the other screens he is considering. But, if it fits his situation and budget I would definitely go with it.
Ellebob is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 05-09-2017, 07:11 AM
Member
 
rfpublic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm an installer and I have seen the difference between the Elite screens that are authorized to be sold to the public, at a lower price, on internet retailers and the pro screens that are sold to installers. Both are a great value, for the price. You pay more for the pro screens but the screen material is about twice as thick and lies flatter. Both lines are a great value, but you do get something when you pay for the thicker screen material.
rfpublic is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 05-09-2017, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
All non-tensioned screens eventually develop waves, how noticeable they are with viewing material is another question. In general the basic matte white screens you don't notice the waves as much as other materials. If you look for it you will notice them. I work as an installer and we do mostly projector systems. We have had good luck with Da-lite, the Model B is good for a very basic screen. I like the High Contrast matte White material for most situations better than the basic matte white but it does cost more. I would also recommend the CSR (controlled screen return) especially if you have kids but that raises the price even more. It keeps the screen from being 'snapped' like a window shade you let go of when being retracted, it gradually goes up so it can't be snapped. Nothing wrong with screens that don't have CSR just be more careful when retracting it and that goes for all brands of screens not just Da-lite. The company I work for has used many brands of screens and have often found that cheap is sometimes just that. Caveat Emptor.


Thanks for the input.


What do you think of this screen?


http://www.bestbuy.com/site/elite-sc...?skuId=9725804
Asgard1an is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 05-09-2017, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I'm looking to spend less that $300.


It seems like some motorized ones have a control that lowers the screen when the projector comes on.


Elitescreens uses an RJ45 that connects to the trigger out of the projector. Worth it?
Asgard1an is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 05-09-2017, 08:08 AM
Member
 
rfpublic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard1an View Post
Elitescreens uses an RJ45 that connects to the trigger out of the projector. Worth it?
I've installed a number of Elite screens connected to the trigger out on the projector. I just ran some Cat5 wire for the trigger signal. It is very easy to setup. It is a good system.
rfpublic is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old 05-09-2017, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfpublic View Post
I've installed a number of Elite screens connected to the trigger out on the projector. I just ran some Cat5 wire for the trigger signal. It is very easy to setup. It is a good system.


My projector is the Epson 2045 , what would be the ''trigger out' that I could use?


https://www.amazon.com/Epson-Cinema-.../dp/B018YKVSMG


The accessories that elite screen says is:


https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens..._cd_al_qh_dp_t

Last edited by Asgard1an; 05-09-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Asgard1an is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old 05-09-2017, 01:08 PM
Member
 
rfpublic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard1an View Post
My projector is the Epson 2045 , what would be the ''trigger out' that I could use?
Sorry, but your projector doesn't have a trigger output. Many projectors have a 1/8" trigger output jack, which outputs 12V when the projector is powered on.
rfpublic is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 05-09-2017, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfpublic View Post
Sorry, but your projector doesn't have a trigger output. Many projectors have a 1/8" trigger output jack, which outputs 12V when the projector is powered on.


I guess if I get an elite scree 'supreme', I could get the ZU12V wireless tigger.
Asgard1an is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 05-09-2017, 01:18 PM
Senior Member
 
tebling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Not to hijack the thread, but is there such a thing as an AT manual pull down screen? I haven't yet run across one except for some DIY examples.

Having a motor just to get into AT retractable options seems really over the top, unless that's not where the costs are.
tebling is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 05-09-2017, 01:23 PM
Member
 
rfpublic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm not familiar with that remote trigger product. But it looks like it should work.

If I'm not connecting a trigger from the projector, I normally program the projector IR up/down commands into the universal remote control system for the theater and control the screen that way.
rfpublic is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old 05-09-2017, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfpublic View Post
I'm not familiar with that remote trigger product. But it looks like it should work.

If I'm not connecting a trigger from the projector, I normally program the projector IR up/down commands into the universal remote control system for the theater and control the screen that way.


That's a good idea. What remote do you recommend for home theaters?
Asgard1an is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 05-09-2017, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,366
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard1an View Post
Thanks for the input.


What do you think of this screen?


http://www.bestbuy.com/site/elite-sc...?skuId=9725804
I haven't used it. The company I work for stopped using Elite Screens.
Ellebob is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 05-09-2017, 02:58 PM
Member
 
rfpublic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm an installer so I use a product such as URC which would be difficult for you to program. You should look into a product like the Logitech Harmony remote.

To answer the question about why not use a manual screen? There is something magical about pressing a button and having a motorized screen drop. But a manual screen is always an excellent lower budget option.
rfpublic is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 05-10-2017, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 7,935
Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2768
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfpublic View Post
I'm an installer and I have seen the difference between the Elite screens that are authorized to be sold to the public, at a lower price, on internet retailers and the pro screens that are sold to installers. Both are a great value, for the price. You pay more for the pro screens but the screen material is about twice as thick and lies flatter. Both lines are a great value, but you do get something when you pay for the thicker screen material.
Are you sure you aren't describing the difference between Elite's basic MaxWhite and MaxWhite FG? MaxWhite FG adds fiberglass backing to the standard MaxWhite which makes FG thicker and tends to make it lie flatter. Both are available to the public but perhaps Elite supplies only MaxWhite FG to installers and not the thinner standard MaxWhite.

Going back to the Da-Lite Model C with the larger internal roller and steel ball bearings, it does cost more than less premium models. From what I've read on AVS Forum over the past 10+ years the thinking among many users was that the Model C was an intermediate step between basic pull-down screens and tab-tension models in terms of wave resistance and price.
Dave in Green is online now  
post #20 of 23 Old 05-10-2017, 08:06 AM
Member
 
rfpublic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Elite tells me that they have a specific value line which is allowed to be sold on-line. This line has thinner material. When you move up to the premium lines, which are only available for purchase through installers and retailers (at least that is the theory), you get thicker material. I should mention that they also use a different motor on the two lines. The value line takes a long time to raise or lower the screen.

I think both screen lines are a great value at their respective prices. The premium screen material is flatter, but in practice both screen materials work just fine.
rfpublic is offline  
post #21 of 23 Old 05-11-2017, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 46
On Amazon, seems that the 125" is the same price as the 110".

Right now i don't have any screen. I bought a 9x13 white canvas that I project on and it's giving me about a 114" display, and that's big enough. Maybe I should look into 115" but I need the screen first then mount the projector.
Asgard1an is offline  
post #22 of 23 Old 05-14-2017, 05:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebling View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but is there such a thing as an AT manual pull down screen? I haven't yet run across one except for some DIY examples.

Having a motor just to get into AT retractable options seems really over the top, unless that's not where the costs are.
What is AT in this situation? Acoustically Transparent retractable? or A tensioned?
shesaidsam is offline  
post #23 of 23 Old 05-15-2017, 11:28 AM
Senior Member
 
tebling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by shesaidsam View Post
What is AT in this situation? Acoustically Transparent retractable? or A tensioned?
Yep, AT = Acoustically Transparent.
tebling is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Screens

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off