Slate 1.2 vs Cinegrey 5D or 3D - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ftoast
  • 1 Post By Hawkmarket
  • 1 Post By LumensLover
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 11-26-2017, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Hawkmarket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Slate 1.2 vs Cinegrey 5D or 3D

What's the consensus of these materials by comparison. I'm looking at the samples of all 3 and to be perfectly honest the samples look VERY similar. The 5D looks like maybe it's slightly darker but it's pretty close. The Cinegrey 3D and Slate 1.2 look almost identical to my eyes. ALR samples are always challenging to make broad assumptions with so I wanted to check in with those who have seen the full screens of each and what their impressions are. SI is obviously much more proud of their screen so the question is does the extra money justify the performance. Based upon the sample the answer would be no but a full screen may tell a very different story.
Hawkmarket is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 11-26-2017, 05:54 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
What's the consensus of these materials by comparison. I'm looking at the samples of all 3 and to be perfectly honest the samples look VERY similar. The 5D looks like maybe it's slightly darker but it's pretty close. The Cinegrey 3D and Slate 1.2 look almost identical to my eyes. ALR samples are always challenging to make broad assumptions with so I wanted to check in with those who have seen the full screens of each and what their impressions are. SI is obviously much more proud of their screen so the question is does the extra money justify the performance. Based upon the sample the answer would be no but a full screen may tell a very different story.
I have owned all three. The Slate 1.2 rejects 65% of all ambient light coming from the sides and top. The Cinegrey 3D and 5D only will reject up to 65% of light coming from the above only. They will not do anything for light coming from the side. They also have a slightly wider viewing cone from my experience and the Cinegrey 5D was the brightest out of the bunch. However the Slate 1.2 is a very bright screen as well.

Slate 1.2 was the best in my opinion because it was a better all-around performer for rejecting light from sides and top. Most Elite Crooks screens will only reject light from the top only which limits their use in my opinion.
LumensLover is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 11-26-2017, 06:05 PM
Member
 
rayan1910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
I have owned all three. The Slate 1.2 rejects 65% of all ambient light coming from the sides and top. The Cinegrey 3D and 5D only will reject up to 65% of light coming from the above only. They will not do anything for light coming from the side. They also have a slightly wider viewing cone from my experience and the Cinegrey 5D was the brightest out of the bunch. However the Slate 1.2 is a very bright screen as well.
Does Carls ALR reject light from the side?
rayan1910 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 24 Old 11-26-2017, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Hawkmarket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
I have owned all three. The Slate 1.2 rejects 65% of all ambient light coming from the sides and top. The Cinegrey 3D and 5D only will reject up to 65% of light coming from the above only. They will not do anything for light coming from the side. They also have a slightly wider viewing cone from my experience and the Cinegrey 5D was the brightest out of the bunch. However the Slate 1.2 is a very bright screen as well.

Slate 1.2 was the best in my opinion because it was a better all-around performer for rejecting light from sides and top. Most Elite Crooks screens will only reject light from the top only which limits their use in my opinion.
So why do you no longer own the Slate?
Hawkmarket is online now  
post #5 of 24 Old 11-26-2017, 08:26 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
So why do you no longer own the Slate?
Wanted something for severe ambient light so I went with the Black Diamond. Though I've tried many more ALR screens since then. I've tried over 90% of the ALR screens available on the market today.

Last edited by LumensLover; 11-27-2017 at 07:54 AM.
LumensLover is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 11-27-2017, 01:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,572
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayan1910 View Post
Does Carls ALR reject light from the side?
My sample of Carl's ALR and slate1.2 perform basically like twins except that slate has a blue-ish tint and Carl's has a warmer tint by compare.
They both reject light from the sides and above/below, but their side rejection is a little weaker than their vertical rejection because it allows them a little wider viewing-cone.
rayan1910 likes this.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Ftoast is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 11-27-2017, 01:40 AM
Member
 
rayan1910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
My sample of Carl's ALR and slate1.2 perform basically like twins except that slate has a blue-ish tint and Carl's has a warmer tint by compare.

They both reject light from the sides and above/below, but their side rejection is a little weaker than their vertical rejection because it allows them a little wider viewing-cone.


For the money is there anything better than Carl's ALR?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rayan1910 is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 11-27-2017, 02:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,572
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayan1910 View Post
For the money is there anything better than Carl's ALR?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe the Elite CineGrey5D is a bit more aggressive (slightly darker-colored and slightly higher-gain from on-axis), while SilverTicket offers a more subtle light-grey (less aggressive but also more forgiving) and a brighter silver1.5 (although I've heard it can be sparkly looking).
For a much higher but still reasonable price, Seymour has a much darker-colored Matinee Black and a bright Matinee Silver.
There's also the DarkEnergy Abyss which is somewhat like a lower-gain and possibly darker-colored Matinee Black.

It's really hard to beat Carl's ALR (stretchy, not the 4k/pro) if it's characteristics are what works well in your situation..but there are some solid alternatives under $1000 if you have different needs that pair better with a different style of screen.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Ftoast is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 11-27-2017, 02:14 AM
Member
 
rayan1910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
I believe the Elite CineGrey5D is a bit more aggressive (slightly darker-colored and slightly higher-gain from on-axis), while SilverTicket offers a more subtle light-grey (less aggressive but also more forgiving) and a brighter silver1.5 (although I've heard it can be sparkly looking).

For a much higher but still reasonable price, Seymour has a much darker-colored Matinee Black and a bright Matinee Silver.

There's also the DarkEnergy Abyss which is somewhat like a lower-gain and possibly darker-colored Matinee Black.



It's really hard to beat Carl's ALR (stretchy, not the 4k/pro) if it's characteristics are what works well in your situation..but there are some solid alternatives under $1000 if you have different needs that pair better with a different style of screen.


Out of all the materials, if you had white walls and little ambient light what would you choose under $500?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rayan1910 is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 11-27-2017, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Hawkmarket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
I have owned all three. The Slate 1.2 rejects 65% of all ambient light coming from the sides and top. The Cinegrey 3D and 5D only will reject up to 65% of light coming from the above only. They will not do anything for light coming from the side. They also have a slightly wider viewing cone from my experience and the Cinegrey 5D was the brightest out of the bunch. However the Slate 1.2 is a very bright screen as well.

Slate 1.2 was the best in my opinion because it was a better all-around performer for rejecting light from sides and top. Most Elite Crooks screens will only reject light from the top only which limits their use in my opinion.
Your favorite people over at Elite claim the Cinegrey works with both overhead and side lighting. Where did you get the info that it only helps with overhead lighting or was that just your perception?
Ftoast likes this.
Hawkmarket is online now  
post #11 of 24 Old 11-27-2017, 10:10 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
Your favorite people over at Elite claim the Cinegrey works with both overhead and side lighting. Where did you get the info that it only helps with overhead lighting or was that just your perception?
Forgot to edit that post. Meant to say that the Star Bright material and Dark Star material reject light from above only.

However with that being said the Cinegrey 5D material sucked at rejecting light from the side. You would have to step up to at least the PolarStar material for solid light rejecting from the side. None of the low end alr materials from Silver ticket, Elite Crooks, or Carl have acceptable off axis ambient light rejection in my opinion.

Last edited by LumensLover; 11-27-2017 at 10:19 AM.
LumensLover is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old 11-27-2017, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Hawkmarket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
I believe the Elite CineGrey5D is a bit more aggressive (slightly darker-colored and slightly higher-gain from on-axis), while SilverTicket offers a more subtle light-grey (less aggressive but also more forgiving) and a brighter silver1.5 (although I've heard it can be sparkly looking).
For a much higher but still reasonable price, Seymour has a much darker-colored Matinee Black and a bright Matinee Silver.
There's also the DarkEnergy Abyss which is somewhat like a lower-gain and possibly darker-colored Matinee Black.

It's really hard to beat Carl's ALR (stretchy, not the 4k/pro) if it's characteristics are what works well in your situation..but there are some solid alternatives under $1000 if you have different needs that pair better with a different style of screen.
I explored a few of the other options you mentioned but they don't make a 150" 16:9. I also have a Carl's ALR sample and it appears significantly darker than the both the SI Slate 1.2 and Elite Cinegrey 3D and 5D. I wasn't particularly impressed with it.
Hawkmarket is online now  
post #13 of 24 Old 11-27-2017, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,572
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
I explored a few of the other options you mentioned but they don't make a 150" 16:9. I also have a Carl's ALR sample and it appears significantly darker than the both the SI Slate 1.2 and Elite Cinegrey 3D and 5D. I wasn't particularly impressed with it.
I know the Elite CineGrey DesignerCutSeries is only available at 135", but do you happen to remember which screens/brands aren't available at 150" 16:9?

I think I remember you mentioning Carl's ALR being significantly darker than Slate1.2 and CineGrey3D before which is still weird to me since my samples of slate1.2 and ALR are nearly twins (except the cold VS warm tint) and other posts I've seen comparing ALR with CineGrey3D both describe and picture them appearing very similar. I don't know if there's that much variation between rolls of materials or if there's something else different I could be misunderstanding.
Is your Carl's ALR the soft, stretchy version that's slightly glossy on one side and more matte-finish on the other?
Do you remember if your samples were recent enough that Carl's had the ShortThrow material available and maybe they mixed up what they sent to you...though I don't know if their ShortThrow ALR is similar or not.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Ftoast is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 11-27-2017, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,572
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayan1910 View Post
Out of all the materials, if you had white walls and little ambient light what would you choose under $500.
There's a lot of these inexpensive screens that I haven't personally seen (including the SilverTicket materials), so their grey or someone else's may be an even better option, but I do really like how Carl's ALR looks..I think it's a nice balance between brightness and light/reflection-fighting aggressiveness at a lower price than most.
But, if your projector is too close and your seating-arrangement is too wide, something lighter-colored and lower-gain (like CineGrey Classic DesignerCutSeries, SilverTicket Grey, Carl's FlexiGrey) could be a better overall option for an even lower price.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Ftoast is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 11-27-2017, 03:56 PM
Member
 
rayan1910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
There's a lot of these inexpensive screens that I haven't personally seen (including the SilverTicket materials), so their grey or someone else's may be an even better option, but I do really like how Carl's ALR looks..I think it's a nice balance between brightness and light/reflection-fighting aggressiveness at a lower price than most.

But, if your projector is too close and your seating-arrangement is too wide, something lighter-colored and lower-gain (like CineGrey Classic DesignerCutSeries, SilverTicket Grey, Carl's FlexiGrey) could be a better overall option for an even lower price.

Cars ALR or ULTRA ALR for 4k? My projector is about 12 3/8 feet from the screen and a super narrow viewing cone. Sorry OP for stealing thread



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rayan1910 is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old 11-27-2017, 04:39 PM
Member
 
Shermstead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
Wanted something for severe ambient light so I went with the Black Diamond. Though I've tried many more ALR screens since then. I've tried over 90% of the ALR screens available on the market today.
Obviously you’ve tried many screens, but have you owned or observed full screens of the most recent three entries into ALR - two of which have large budgets, lots of experience and technolgy: Stewart’s HALR, Da-Lites Parallax and DES Abyss?
Shermstead is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 11-27-2017, 04:45 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermstead View Post
Obviously you’ve tried many screens, but have you owned or observed full screens of the most recent three entries into ALR - two of which have large budgets, lots of experience and technolgy: Stewart’s HALR, Da-Lites Parallax and DES Abyss?
I've seen the Da-Lite Parallax screen. It shows a refined, artifact free image however alr rejection off axis was decent but not great. It would be a good screen for a dedicated HT room with low levels of light.

I have not have the pleasure of seeing the Stewart HALR screen or the Dark Energy Abyss screen.

Though I will admit I am done with negative gain ALR screen. The Elunevision Aurora looks like a winner. The Draper Tecvision CS1200X seems promising as well.
maglito likes this.

Last edited by LumensLover; 11-29-2017 at 08:12 AM.
LumensLover is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 11-28-2017, 12:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,572
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayan1910 View Post
Cars ALR or ULTRA ALR for 4k? My projector is about 12 3/8 feet from the screen and a super narrow viewing cone. Sorry OP for stealing thread
I've heard the ultra/4K version of the ALR screen weirdly has a significant amount of physical texture..I'm guessing because the stiff/Ultra4K version is likely made onto the same textured surface as the ProWhite/ProGrey surface.

The flexible/stretchy regular version ALR is nicely smooth...so I'd go with that instead of the ultra/4K ALR.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Ftoast is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 12-27-2017, 06:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Slate 1.2 vs Cinegrey 5D or 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
What's the consensus of these materials by comparison. I'm looking at the samples of all 3 and to be perfectly honest the samples look VERY similar. The 5D looks like maybe it's slightly darker but it's pretty close. The Cinegrey 3D and Slate 1.2 look almost identical to my eyes. ALR samples are always challenging to make broad assumptions with so I wanted to check in with those who have seen the full screens of each and what their impressions are. SI is obviously much more proud of their screen so the question is does the extra money justify the performance. Based upon the sample the answer would be no but a full screen may tell a very different story.


I really have been impressed by my Elite Cinegrey 3D. Does a great job with ambient light, is fairly neutral for an alr, and has little to no hotspotting. Is it a slate 1.2 no but is it amazing for the $429 I paid for my 100” absolutely yes.

The top pic shows the true amount of light in the room and the 2nd is representative of the picture I am seeing with that level of ambient light. iPhone camera couldn’t capture both effectively in the same picture.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by OrcusVaruna; 12-27-2017 at 06:43 PM.
OrcusVaruna is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 01-04-2018, 06:31 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm in the market right now for a big boy screen. It will be a multiuse room above my garage. I'm planning on getting the Epson 4000 projector and I was looking at the cinetension2 cinegrey screen.
Is this screen an ALR screen or do I need the 3d or 5d? It said somewhere to only buy this screen if contrast was 2000:1 or lower.
Half of the time it will be totally light controlled but the other half the kids may be playing in there or watching cartoons with one light on which would be approx 4ft above the screen half way between screen and seating. 10ft ceiling.
Has anybody seen the cinegrey in action?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
hvacrookie1113 is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old 01-04-2018, 07:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Slate 1.2 vs Cinegrey 5D or 3D

Cinegrey non 3D/5D is just a standard matte grey 1.0 gain screen material. Thus it does not have any ALR properties whatsoever. I recently switched from a 1.0 gain silver ticket grey screen to a Cinegrey 3D and the difference is night and day if you have any ambient light in the room. For lights out viewing I find it significantly improves perceived contrast by boosting peak white while maintaining the same black floor as the projector had on my previous screen. The one negative I have found is the Cinegrey 3D introduces a pretty significant color shift that you must calibrate the projector to handle.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OrcusVaruna is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old 12-13-2018, 04:56 AM
Member
 
Curamrda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Europe - Czech Republic
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 21
any updates here? I am standing between the same decision. But I have probably problem, coz I will have window directly oposite of the screen. And I dont like the small view angle
Curamrda is offline  
post #23 of 24 Old 07-18-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jrunr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,183
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 37
@LumensLover
Just want to bump this to the top as I am trying to figure out a 120" screen for my lights controlled room.

Will the 1.2 gain of the 3D brighten up the image more that a 1.1 gain white screen? I am looking at the elite brand to be paid with my BenQ HT5550 projector. I will be sitting 12.5' away from the screen.

@Ftoast
Jrunr is offline  
post #24 of 24 Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,572
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
@LumensLover
Just want to bump this to the top as I am trying to figure out a 120" screen for my lights controlled room.

Will the 1.2 gain of the 3D brighten up the image more that a 1.1 gain white screen? I am looking at the elite brand to be paid with my BenQ HT5550 projector. I will be sitting 12.5' away from the screen.

@Ftoast
A grey screen is going to have a slightly more directional brightness than a 1.1gain white screen, so even though a part of the image will likely be a hair brighter at 1.2gain VS 1.1gain, the 1.1gain white screen will have brighter edges and will hold it's overall brightness better for anyone seated off toward the sides rather than the center. Plus the difference between 1.1gain and 1.2gain is small enough to be practically indistiguishable.

If your room had light-colored walls/floor/ceiling near the screen or some lights off toward the sides to be fought then the 1.2gain grey screen could help fight those reflections or lights while still keeping your image nicely bright, but in a nicely light-controlled room I'd prefer a nice white screen practically every time.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Ftoast is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Screens

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off