2.35 130" retractable: Seymour or EluneVision? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jdtsmith

post #1 of 4 Old 01-16-2018, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
2.35 130" retractable: Seymour or EluneVision?

In the market for a 120" wide (130" diagonal) 2.35 retractable for a CIH setup, and after Elite Screens discontinued (and reading about issues with tab-tensioning actually working long term), I've narrowed it down to :

1. Seymour 130 Retractable Electric
  2. EluneVision Reference Studio 4K 130"

Seymour has a very nice velvet surround and hidden tension system. I am confused about inconsistencies between SeymourAV and Seymour Screen Excellence. The 130" screens have slightly different sizes. Are these in fact the same company and screen? Also, Seymour only offers AT material in their retractable. In principle this would allow me to move the screen forward past the center channel and LR, but they would need to be almost touching the back of the screen (KEF Q300-600 fronts, about 1 foot deep). If I didn't use the AT quality, what tradeoff is there? Slightly less light reflected? Light leak from behind the screen?

The Elune screen is a more standard tensioned design. But it has a configurable bottom drop, which I'd love since I need to cover window frame. The Studio 4K material also has made a good impression on some.

What do people think: EluneVision or Seymour? Or am I neglecting a good comparison retractable in the ~$2k range? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-16-2018, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I don't see any responses, but wondering if you got an answer to your question or made a decision. I too am looking at a retractable screen and was originally looking at the Seymour (my previous 3 screens were the XD material, but non-retractable), but then realized I won't actually have speakers behind the screen as they'll be off to the side and below. With that, I could get away with a regular retractable instead of the AT, but not sure if there are any quality retractable screens out there.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
4.0 - TBD
post #3 of 4 Old 04-17-2018, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
I don't see any responses, but wondering if you got an answer to your question or made a decision. I too am looking at a retractable screen and was originally looking at the Seymour (my previous 3 screens were the XD material, but non-retractable), but then realized I won't actually have speakers behind the screen as they'll be off to the side and below. With that, I could get away with a regular retractable instead of the AT, but not sure if there are any quality retractable screens out there.
I didn't yet make a decision. Decided to get the projector in and mounted and put up temporary fabric screen to finalize sizing before moving ahead. I have actually decide an ALR screen is a good idea for my mixed-use bonus room over the garage/theater room. See this thread. There are only a few ALR retractable screens, and my application is fairly short throw ratio (~1.4x width).

Who knew the screen would be the hardest part of a projector-based theater???
HoosierHodge likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-17-2018, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtsmith View Post
I didn't yet make a decision. Decided to get the projector in and mounted and put up temporary fabric screen to finalize sizing before moving ahead. I have actually decide an ALR screen is a good idea for my mixed-use bonus room over the garage/theater room. See this thread. There are only a few ALR retractable screens, and my application is fairly short throw ratio (~1.4x width).

Who knew the screen would be the hardest part of a projector-based theater???
Thanks for the info. I've been out of the HT world for about 4 years now so I don't even know what ALR is. We sold our home (and theater ) a few months ago and now I'm ready to put something new together. I'm definitely not going fully dedicated like my last few theaters, so I'm looking to do a retractable that can come down in front of our TV. I guess I have some new threads and groups to dig into!

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
4.0 - TBD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page