ALR + Retractable: General Discussion - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By jdtsmith
  • 1 Post By Ftoast
  • 1 Post By jdtsmith
  • 1 Post By DenisG
  • 1 Post By jdtsmith
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 01-24-2018, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jdtsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
ALR + Retractable: General Discussion

There are many excellent reviews of ALR material performance detailing contrast, off-angle performance, screen texturing, etc. But these are all using fixed frame screens, which offer the widest selection of ALR materials. But many rooms where ALR would be helpful will need retractable screens. Think den, living room, family room, etc.

I've not been able to find a comprehensive review specifically for retractable motorized screens with ALR materials, so I thought we could discuss here. Here's a list I've compiled:

  • Elite Prime Visions Polar Max Tension: using the Polar Star material
  • Elite Starling Tab-Tension 2 CineGray 5D
  • ElitePro Evanescence Tab-Tensions with Cinegray 5D
  • ScreenInnovations 5-Series with Slate 1.2 or Slate 0.8
  • Stewart Any ElectriScreen model with Phantom HALR
  • EluneVision Aurora 4K Motorized Tab-Tensioned
  • DNP SuperNova Flex Classic with SuperNova 08-85
  • Draper Access V (and others) in TecVision XH900X ALR, MS1000X ALR, or CS1200X ALR
  • DIY spray ALR paint onto non-ALR retractable

What screens/materials am I missing (happy to edit)? Which are best for rejecting side vs. overhead lighting? Contrast? Image brightness? Off-axis performance? Sparkles? Projector throw distance concerns? Hot-spotting? Longevity when rolling up and down? Pros/cons for individual combinations?
strafejumper likes this.

Last edited by jdtsmith; 01-24-2018 at 08:42 PM.
jdtsmith is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 01-25-2018, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,566
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2683 Post(s)
Liked: 872
I believe most/all of the rollup screens using the same named material have the same visual/light-fighting performance as their fixed-frame cousins, so the projectorcentral ALR screen article should have a lot of information covering a lot of that list.

Hotspotting is very dependant on your projector's throw-ratio...a longer throw-distance for a given screen-size can avoid hotspotting on just about anything while a much shorter throw-distance at the same screen-size can make almost any ALR screen hotspot.
Many manufacturers recommend a throw-ratio of at least 1.5:1 or longer (1.5distance to 1screen-width) to keep brightness uniformity reasonable.

Many light-fighting screens are less aggressive against side-incoming light in order to help the screen give a brighter image for folks sitting farther toward the sides. A screen that's better against sideways light will also be a screen that loses more of its peak-gain when viewed from a seat farther toward the sides...and a screen more aggressive against side-incoming light will usually need a somewhat longer throw-ratio to help avoid hotspotting/non-uniformity.
strafejumper likes this.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415

Last edited by Ftoast; 01-26-2018 at 02:27 AM.
Ftoast is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 01-25-2018, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jdtsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
I believe most/all of the rollup screens using the same named material have the same visual/light-fighting performance as their fixed-frame cousins, so the projectorcentral ALR screen article should have a lot of information covering a lot of that list.

Hotspotting is very dependant on your projector's throw-ratio...a longer throw-distance for a given screen-size can avoid hotspotting on just about anything assume a much shorter throw-distance at the same screen-size can make almost any ALR screen hotspot.
Many manufacturers recommend a throw-ratio of at least 1.5:1 (1.5distance to 1screen-width) to keep brightness uniformity reasonable.

Many light-fighting screens are less aggressive against side-incoming light in order to help the screen give a brighter image for folks sitting farther toward the sides. A screen that's better against sideways light will also be a screen that loses more of its peak-gain when viewed from a seat farther toward the sides...and a screen more aggressive against side-incoming light will usually need a somewhat longer throw-ratio to help avoid hotspotting/non-uniformity.
Thanks, very useful summary. Since many ALR materials are not available in retractable, I thought it would be interesting to compare only the ones that are. The Aurora 4K material is interesting in that it quotes a 61° half gain but presumably that will incur loss of side-light rejection.
jdtsmith is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 24 Old 01-26-2018, 03:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,566
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2683 Post(s)
Liked: 872
Here's an edited version of the PJC list. Someone paying close attention will likely notice I've swapped some of the vertical/horizontal measurements for a few screens...This is because the PJC numbers showed a couple of them having a noticeably wider vertical viewing-cone compared to their horizontal viewing-cone which is so unlikely in practice that it's much more likely they accidentally had the sample positioned 90°/270° rotated (which is easy to do with most samples).

Please let me know which of these is definitely not available as a retractable, then I can delete it from this list for less confusion.

Screen Horizontal Half Angle (degrees left or right off-center)
DNP Supernova---------------85°
Stewart Firehawk G4-------40°
Draper MS1000X-------------35°
Elite EPV PolarStar-----------30°
SI Zero Edge Slate 1.2------26°
Stewart HALR (I think this was mentioned to have a very aggressive ~18° Horizontal 1/2gain, but I could easily be remembering that wrong...Don Stewart mentioned the spec in the HALR thread at some point, so please share the number if I need correcting).

Screen Vertical Half Angle
Stewart Firehawk G4------32°
Draper MS1000X------------32°
SI Zero Edge Slate 1.2----23°
Elite EPV PolarStar----------18°
DNP Supernova---------------17°

Spoiler!

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415

Last edited by Ftoast; 01-26-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Ftoast is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 01-26-2018, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jdtsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Please let me know which of these is definitely not available as a retractable, then I can delete it from this list for less confusion.
Here's a list, from web searching only. Please correct me if I've missed any.

Retractable option:
Stewart Firehawk G4
Draper MS1000X
SI Zero Edge Slate 1.2, 0.8
Elite EPV PolarStar
DNP Supernova
Stewart HALR
Elunevision Aurora 4K
Elite Cinegray 5D

Non-retractable only:
Elite DarkStar
Da-lite Parallax
Elite EPV DarkStar 9
Seymour Matinee Black
SI Black Diamond 1.4
Ftoast likes this.

Last edited by jdtsmith; 01-26-2018 at 11:09 AM.
jdtsmith is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 01-26-2018, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DenisG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 1,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtsmith View Post
Here's a list, from web searching only. Please correct me if I've missed any.

Retractable option:
Stewart Firehawk G4
Draper MS1000X
SI Zero Edge Slate 1.2, 0.8
Elite EPV PolarStar
DNP Supernova
Stewart HALR
SI Black Diamond 1.4
Elunevision Aurora 4K
Elite Cinegray 5D

Non-retractable only:
Elite DarkStar
Da-lite Parallax
Elite EPV DarkStar 9
Seymour Matinee Black
SI discontinued the black diamond motorized.
Ftoast likes this.
DenisG is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 01-26-2018, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jdtsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG View Post
SI discontinued the black diamond motorized.
Thanks, updated list. Would be glad to have thoughts on the materials that are still offered motorized. For myself, I have mostly side light to contend with (one side only: bank of windows to an elevated deck in a family room). Too bad they don't make asymmetric side rejection materials.
jdtsmith is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 02-04-2018, 05:14 PM
Member
 
Shermstead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtsmith View Post
Thanks, updated list. Would be glad to have thoughts on the materials that are still offered motorized. For myself, I have mostly side light to contend with (one side only: bank of windows to an elevated deck in a family room). Too bad they don't make asymmetric side rejection materials.
From my evaluation there’s really only 3 possible high quality motorized ALR Screens:

- Stewart Phantom HALR

- Crystal Screens

- Seymour Ambient Visionaire

Currently the Stewart is the only shipping motorized ALR. Both Seymour and Crystal Screens should be shipping motorized versions of their respective ALR technology by mid year.

I’ve viewed all others and come to this conclusion and have the Stewart on order, delivering shortly.

If I wanted to wait, it looks as though Crystal Screens has nailed this technology married with today’s mid priced projectors.

Please chime in, if you think I missed anything.
Shermstead is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 02-04-2018, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jdtsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermstead View Post
I’ve viewed all others and come to this conclusion and have the Stewart on order, delivering shortly.
Thanks. You viewed the EluneVision Aurora retractor? I haven't seen any other review for that screen so it would be worth posting more information. Does Crystal really produce motorized screens? Not entirely obvious from their website if so.
jdtsmith is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 02-05-2018, 04:51 AM
Member
 
Shermstead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtsmith View Post
Thanks. You viewed the EluneVision Aurora retractor? I haven't seen any other review for that screen so it would be worth posting more information. Does Crystal really produce motorized screens? Not entirely obvious from their website if so.
I’ve spoken with Elunvision twice. Once in November when they said they’d have the retractable available in 30 days and then a week ago when they now say another 3 months. They appear to be a one woman show and not very professional. After all of my experiences with retractable ALR Screens I’m interested in professional, science based companies that will stand behind a quality built product.

Watch Scott Wilkinson’s Home Theater Geeks #331 interview with Luminit Crystal Screens and his follow up Construction of Crystal Screens. This company appears to stretch the laws of physics, or light, to a new degree in ALR technologies. They demo their products with an Epson 6040 - not the light canons that most use.

As I said, if I were more patient I’d wait for Crystal Screens retractable and, in the meantime, I hope to be satisfied with Stewart’s Phantom HALR.

I’d love to hear LumensLover’s take on Crystal Screens.
Shermstead is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 02-05-2018, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
ed3120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Are any of these in the price range of the Elite Starling Tab-Tension 2 CineGray 5D, or is that the cheapest retractable ALR screen?
ed3120 is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old 03-13-2018, 04:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Da Lite Parallax?

No mention of the Da Lite Parallax. I was under the impression it was pretty much either the Parallax or the HALR when it came to retractable ALR. Does anyone have hands on with the Da Lite? It was reviewed very highly by projector central, but unfortunately that comparison is too old to mention it in relation to the HALR. I'd really like to see a head to head of these two.
briangreen is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 03-13-2018, 04:33 PM
Member
 
Shermstead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangreen View Post
No mention of the Da Lite Parallax. I was under the impression it was pretty much either Parallax or the HALR when it came to retractable ALR. Does anyone have hands on with the Da Lite? It was reviewed very highly by projector central, but unfortunately that comparison is too old to mention it in relation to the HALR. I'd really like to see a head to head of these two.
Unfortunately, the Parallax does not offer any side ambient light rejection - only from above. My Phantom was delivered today. Eight week build! Of course I’m out of town. Will post my evaluation of the HALR next week.
Shermstead is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 03-14-2018, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
hokiefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm getting to the stage of needing to order a screen to finish my basement build. I've settled on the Draper Access Fit because of the space available between my floor joists. I'm looking at the 119" diagonal screen, but not sure what material to select. I have a Benq 8700 (yea old!) 1000 lumens, right now but will probably upgrade in the next couple years, so would rather buy based on a future 4k laser projector.

For movies I plan on a dark room, with black out shades on the windows. However for sports, parties, etc there will be other activities and light in the room. Attached is my room layout.

So my question is what type of Draper screen material would be best for this situation? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basement.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	2375328  
hokiefan is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 03-25-2018, 04:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermstead View Post
Unfortunately, the Parallax does not offer any side ambient light rejection - only from above. My Phantom was delivered today. Eight week build! Of course I’m out of town. Will post my evaluation of the HALR next week.
Did you end up getting this installed?

Good call on the side light rejection. I re-read the ProjectorCentral ALR review just to brush up on all the specs. Very interested to hear how your Stewart install went, as all of my ambient light is coming from the side as well. I was recently able to see the HALR and the Slate 1.2 in fairly close proximity at the showroom. I can't say I was blown away by the Stewart (it had the 60k sony firing onto it, but the screen was way too big for what they were trying to do, something like 170 inches) I was fairly impressed with a mid-range EPSON onto the 1.2. I would love to find a local showroom that has the slate 0.8, but it doesn't seem very common.

What I can say about both the Halr and the 1.2, I did not feel short-changed at all when standing approx 45 degrees off axis. I was still able to see the image clearly. I guess science tells me that the image is supposed to be about half as bright out there, but if I had guests sitting in wide angles around this thing, at least to my eye, they would have no problem seeing what was on the screen.
briangreen is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old 03-25-2018, 04:20 PM
Member
 
Shermstead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangreen View Post
Did you end up getting this installed?

Good call on the side light rejection. I re-read the ProjectorCentral ALR review just to brush up on all the specs. Very interested to hear how your Stewart install went, as all of my ambient light is coming from the side as well. I was recently able to see the HALR and the Slate 1.2 in fairly close proximity at the showroom. I can't say I was blown away by the Stewart (it had the 60k sony firing onto it, but the screen was way too big for what they were trying to do, something like 170 inches) I was fairly impressed with a mid-range EPSON onto the 1.2. I would love to find a local showroom that has the slate 0.8, but it doesn't seem very common.

What I can say about both the Halr and the 1.2, I did not feel short-changed at all when standing approx 45 degrees off axis. I was still able to see the image clearly. I guess science tells me that the image is supposed to be about half as bright out there, but if I had guests sitting in wide angles around this thing, at least to my eye, they would have no problem seeing what was on the screen.
I originally had the Parallax ordered and it was a technician at DayLite that alerted me that the Parallax DID NOT reject ANY ambient side light. I’ve only viewed the Slate .8 and the Phantom handles ambient light measurably better. I’m using an Epson 5040UB and the Phantom handles daylight viewing exceptionally well and night or movie viewing excellently. As you observed for off axis viewing the Phantom is, also, of exceptional quality.
Shermstead is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 05-07-2018, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jdtsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just some updates to revive this discussion. I haven't yet settled on a screen. I have a full suite of SI material samples on hand (Slate 0.8, 1.2, Black Diamond 1.4 and 0.8, Matte Gray and White) and have seen the 1.2 in person in full size. My impressions thus far:
  • Matte white is very washed out in the daytime, beautifully uniform at night. Sigh.
  • The Slate's offer the best compromise of ALR performance and brightness at the central position. They are both very bright and with excellent contrast at the image center.
  • The Slates both suffer pretty substantially off-axis (echoing the PC review). For my ~1.4x throw ratio (below the recommended minimum of 1.5x), placing these samples at the edges of the image reduces contrast and total brightness substantially, probably more than I can tolerate.
  • Maybe I move around a lot, but I really think I need more angular uniformity.
  • BD is VERY sensitive vertically, you really need to be close to the equal-angle mirror bounce setup with your projector-screen-head geometry.

It's pretty easy to evaluate these samples by moving a matte white sample around with them. One thing I wish I tried: always start your evaluations at the corners/sides of the image. Starting at screen center like I did just leads to disappointment.

I'm afraid my shortish throw ratio (1.4) means I need to evaluate some less aggressive ALR options, so I have Da-lite MSX1000 + XH900X, and Draper HD Pro 1.1 and 0.6 samples on order. I have had no luck with Elunevision samples (sales policy: no samples), although I did have a nice conversation with one of their scientists who gives an interview here. Their Aurora material is shipping in quantity now. Contrary to what many have claimed, Aurora is an angular-reflecting ALR screen (like most the others). It has a slight blue-shift, but similar and slightly less (he claimed) than a Screen Innovation material. It is "semi-translucent" and has no black backing due to lamination concerns. Biggest pause (aside from inability to get a sample) is the unclear relationship between Eastporters (HT company that sells Elunevision screens) and the company themselves. Not sure why that is kept so secret.

I've ruled out Stewart's ALRs for larger throw distance requirements.

Happy to take pictures if anyone wants to see samples in action.
ScottAvery likes this.
jdtsmith is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 05-17-2018, 03:01 PM
Member
 
Shermstead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtsmith View Post

I've ruled out Stewart's ALRs for larger throw distance requirements.
You might be making a mistake in ruling out Stewart’s Phantom HALR. My throw distance is at the very edge of the RECOMMENDED 1.8 distance with my 123” 16:9 and I have zero hot spotting and the picture quality is amazing.

Jeff Meier from AccucalAV calibrated my audio and visual equipment and I cannot recommend his services more highly! The quality change of my projection system and audio is absolutely, stunningly amazing.

AccucalAV’s Screen Material Report (https://www.accucalav.com/wp-content...een_report.pdf) has been referenced many times in this forum. The following is a recent tweet from AccucalAV:

Jeff Meier @ HomeCinemaGuru · May 10

Worked with a Stewart light rejecting Phantom HALR screen in client’s home. This is an impressive product if you must reject ambient light. The client had tried several others in his room and settled on the HALR. This is the best I have seen for this.

Jeff Meier @ HomeCinemaGuru · May 9

Finished video calibration of Epson HDR projector and audio calibration of Yamaha Klipsch Atmos surround system.
Shermstead is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 06-25-2018, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blipszyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 2,811
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Sorry if I'm late to the game...I'll likely be looking for an ALR screen for my family room and it will need to be wall mount retractable. Where is the PC ALR review everyone references? Is it the one from 2016? Is it still valid being 2 years old?

Also, my PJ (probably an Epson 5040) will likely be about 16-16.5 feet from a 96ish" wide screen. Is that too far? (I think it equates to 2x)

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
4.0 - TBD
blipszyc is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 06-25-2018, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jdtsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
Sorry if I'm late to the game...I'll likely be looking for an ALR screen for my family room and it will need to be wall mount retractable. Where is the PC ALR review everyone references? Is it the one from 2016? Is it still valid being 2 years old?

Also, my PJ (probably an Epson 5040) will likely be about 16-16.5 feet from a 96ish" wide screen. Is that too far? (I think it equates to 2x)
In fact, as I'm discovering, the further away the better. You have a "throw ratio" of over 2, which is ideal for ALR materials (the angle of light arriving from the projector is fairly uniform over the entire screen).

You lose some lumens from the projector at that far zoom, but can make that up with screen gain pretty easily. I have a fixed and unchangeable ratio of 1.4, which I'm finding is much less ideal for almost any ALR. I've evaluated samples from a number of different ALR vendors, and they are either too dark or too non-uniform. At screen center, my favorite by far is SI's Slate, but it's i) expensive, and ii) has far too much angular fall-off at the edges with my (below recommendation) 1.4x ratio, and iii) has some "hot spotting" at the exact reflectance angle to the projector, which rule it out. At 2, you'd probably fare much better.
jdtsmith is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old 06-25-2018, 05:04 PM
Member
 
epheatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtsmith View Post
In fact, as I'm discovering, the further away the better. You have a "throw ratio" of over 2, which is ideal for ALR materials (the angle of light arriving from the projector is fairly uniform over the entire screen).

You lose some lumens from the projector at that far zoom, but can make that up with screen gain pretty easily. I have a fixed and unchangeable ratio of 1.4, which I'm finding is much less ideal for almost any ALR. I've evaluated samples from a number of different ALR vendors, and they are either too dark or too non-uniform. At screen center, my favorite by far is SI's Slate, but it's i) expensive, and ii) has far too much angular fall-off at the edges with my (below recommendation) 1.4x ratio, and iii) has some "hot spotting" at the exact reflectance angle to the projector, which rule it out. At 2, you'd probably fare much better.
I'm getting quotes to get me into the same boat with a weak room and trying to compare the EluneVison Aurora ALR material against the Elite Screens CineGrey 5D option in a 120" diagonal 16:9 ratio in-ceiling recessed tab-tensioned system. I'm planning on the Epson 4000 at 18 feet of throw so I'd be just barely 2.x ratio as well. The Elunevision has listed 61 degrees for their half gain point and the Elite is listed as 40 but given the low number of reviews I'm not sure how optimistic those numbers are in reality.

Are there any lurkers that can comment on which is actually better?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited by epheatt; 06-26-2018 at 10:40 AM. Reason: fixed EluneVision spelling
epheatt is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old 06-26-2018, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jdtsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermstead View Post
From my evaluation there’s really only 3 possible high quality motorized ALR Screens:

- Stewart Phantom HALR

- Crystal Screens

- Seymour Ambient Visionaire

Currently the Stewart is the only shipping motorized ALR. Both Seymour and Crystal Screens should be shipping motorized versions of their respective ALR technology by mid year.

I’ve viewed all others and come to this conclusion and have the Stewart on order, delivering shortly.

If I wanted to wait, it looks as though Crystal Screens has nailed this technology married with today’s mid priced projectors.

Please chime in, if you think I missed anything.
Crystal Screen's website is now down, so not clear if they are in business anymore. I spoke with Seymour and they hope to have new retractable materials to exhibit at CEDIA this year (early Sep). They mentioned that their ALR materials are quite stiff, so that rolling them up would require some changes. Right now the only retractable they have are non-ALR and AT. Stewart's HALR has a larger recommended minimum throw ratio than most, and fairly narrow viewing angle. The hunt continues...
jdtsmith is offline  
post #23 of 24 Old 06-28-2018, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blipszyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 2,811
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Here's what I'm dealing with...


Hoping to have the screen drop in front of the 65" TV there now.

Thoughts on an Epson 5040 + ALR screen for this setup?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1724.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	2421626  

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
4.0 - TBD
blipszyc is offline  
post #24 of 24 Old 06-28-2018, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jdtsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
Here's what I'm dealing with...


Hoping to have the screen drop in front of the 65" TV there now.

Thoughts on an Epson 5040 + ALR screen for this setup?
Mounting projector on a back wall and not too high I guess (hopefully window free)? Maybe 120” screen? Looks like much of your light is from above, which is fairly easy to reject. Dalites Parallax would work well and give maximum angle of view. Slates too, but pricier. Samples will help you decide. Just use a white sample and ALR sample together as you move around.
jdtsmith is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Screens

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off