Silver Ticket - Replaced Grey with Matte White - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bud16415

post #1 of 7 Old 02-16-2018, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Silver Ticket - Replaced Grey with Matte White

Just finished swapping my old 120” Grey screen for a new matte white screen. I see a lot questions about “should i get white of grey... “, so I thought I’d give some feedback since I’ve had both.

My setup home theatre is a nice little man cave with controlled lighting. Walls and ceiling are a matte dark brown/black. Projector is a BenQ HT2050 with a 10’ throw. I also have a i1 Dispay Pro with Calman and calibrate my setup.

I’ve had the Sikver Ticket Grey since 2015 and have always loved it ... grey screen gave me nice dark blacks and the color was deep. Much better than the painted wall I had for a couple of years. My only gripe was that it seemed dim (My most recent reading with Calman was 14 fL). And I thought if I went with a white screen that the blacks would be terrible and the colors would be washed out.

Wow was I wrong!!!!!!

Not only is the white screen brighter (25 fL with the meter), but the colors have more “pop” and the blacks look just as good. I can’t believe the difference. My HT2050 projector has 3000 hours on it and it looks brand new. I actually have a brand new bulb and I’m a little aprehensive to install it. Might be too bright.

So if anyone is sitting on the fence about grey versus white... go white! In hindsight, the grey screen was of no benefit whatsoever for my setup (Ht2050, light controlled basement rec room, 10’ throw, 120” sceeen).

Projector and Screen: JVC x790 & 120" Silver Ticket screen (Incoming 120” Stuart WallScreen StudioTek 130 G4)
Audio: Denon x4400H 5.1.4 - Infinity R162 L/R, Infinity RC263 centre, Kef T101 surrounds, Kef Ci160er rear atmos, Energy V-Mini - front atmos, PSA v1512df (x2) & BOSS w/4 12” Subs

Last edited by JonnyVee; 02-18-2018 at 03:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-17-2018, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 468
I hate grey screens so I hear everything you're saying. They are outdated technology for those using low contrast projectors.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-17-2018, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
The difference between 14FL and 25FL is huge. It sounds like your room is well controlled for light coming in and painted well for projector light rebounding back to the screen. So as a lights out theater you are well suited for a white screen in the dark. If you are only getting 14FL and trying to deal with some lights on in the man cave you need more lumens and the white provided the extra brightness the gray was attenuating. With the extra brightness you are having increased perception of blacks in ANSI like images. In short your iris adjusted to the brighter image iris closed and thus your perception of black went up.

If you somehow had a projector that could return 25FL off the gray screen you would see the same image or slightly better.

The problem is not that the gray screen is causing the decrees in PQ it is that your projector isn’t putting out sufficient brightness to support the screen.

No one doubts you are not seeing an amazing image at 25FL but you need to think deeper into the problem to find the reason. Someone out there could have some projector setup on a gray screen returning 25FL and decide to try a white screen and then come on and say white screens are no good because my gray screen looked amazing and my new white screen is way to bright and blinding.

If you are in the mood to experiment hang your gray screen up and move the projector so you are getting 25FL by making the image smaller something like 90-100” image. You will see that same amazing image is my guess with the ability to kill some of the ambient in the room.

Have you watched a very dark movie yet? One where the movie is a night image with little brightness in the image and detail in the darkness.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-17-2018, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
The difference between 14FL and 25FL is huge. It sounds like your room is well controlled for light coming in and painted well for projector light rebounding back to the screen. So as a lights out theater you are well suited for a white screen in the dark. If you are only getting 14FL and trying to deal with some lights on in the man cave you need more lumens and the white provided the extra brightness the gray was attenuating. With the extra brightness you are having increased perception of blacks in ANSI like images. In short your iris adjusted to the brighter image iris closed and thus your perception of black went up.

If you somehow had a projector that could return 25FL off the gray screen you would see the same image or slightly better.

The problem is not that the gray screen is causing the decrees in PQ it is that your projector isn’t putting out sufficient brightness to support the screen.
Well. If you thought 25fL was a big jump from 14 fL. Here’s the new bulb after calibrating ... 36.5 fL. It’s not all new screen/bulb though, the BenQ “Brillant Color” adds a bump in brightness and I turned that back on. Measured contrast with Calman was also 1550:1 before and is now 1650:1

... and no, I have no interest in comparing and making the screen smaller. I understand the science. I just chose to ignore it.

The point I was trying to make is that I thought I would never get nice looking blacks with an “inexpensive” projector and a white screen. I was under the false belief that even with a light controlled room, a grey screen would somehow make my blacks better. And it did, but it also made my whites darker and there was no benefit (as you know).

Just wanted to show my results after having both screens. There are lots of people that come here looking for advice before the shell out $$$$$ and they answers can be to wordy and technical at times.

So if anyone is considering a white or grey screen, i would recommend white after having a grey screen. In my environment, a white screen looks great and my blacks still look good with a HT2050 at a 10’ throw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	807B3EE2-847B-4102-A376-8CBC507E1822.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	2362806  

Projector and Screen: JVC x790 & 120" Silver Ticket screen (Incoming 120” Stuart WallScreen StudioTek 130 G4)
Audio: Denon x4400H 5.1.4 - Infinity R162 L/R, Infinity RC263 centre, Kef T101 surrounds, Kef Ci160er rear atmos, Energy V-Mini - front atmos, PSA v1512df (x2) & BOSS w/4 12” Subs
post #5 of 7 Old 02-17-2018, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
I have advised at least a 1000 people on the gray vs white screen thing and I always mention there is no improvement in CR as for every speck darker you get you loose the same speck of brightness.

All this is predicated around trying to be at some brightness level. Film like and all the established specs for motion pictures in a fully darkened theater say you want to be around 16FL that’s true if you have a white screen or a gray screen. Now if you have an ambient light requirement the FL should be higher that’s also no different if the screen is white or gray. You need enough brightness with the gray to overcome the attenuation and still have what was required.

It sounds like you were told a gray screen would improve your black level or like @LumensLover seems to think it improves CR on a poor projector. A gray screen doesn’t do ether of those things. For that reason it isn’t “old technology” from the past because it didn’t work for that back then.

Seeing as how you ignore the science then there isn’t anything more to say except I’m happy you like the results of the higher brightness in your setup and are enjoying the blacks you are seeing.
NobleVision likes this.

Bud
post #6 of 7 Old 02-17-2018, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 4450 Post(s)
Liked: 4005
It's OK for anyone to hate anything that doesn't personally suit them. But grey screens are definitely not outdated technology exclusively for those using low contrast projectors. Overall today's projectors are brighter than older models and there are more grey screen options available today in a wider variety of negative gains than in the past. There's a good reason for this and @bud16415 understands the reason as well as anybody.

The projector, screen and room environment work together as a system. If the screen is not well matched to the projector and room environment then the system won't produce optimum performance. So if a white screen is better matched to your projector and room environment than a grey screen of course the system is going to perform better with the white screen just as a system with a grey screen properly matched to a different projector and room environment will outperform a white screen.

As the great philosopher and sometimes baseball player Yogi Berra once said: If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up someplace else.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-17-2018, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Grey Screen, 1.0 Flat Matte, 1.3 Gain, it's always going to depend on your room, throw distance, DLP vs LCD. Grab a couple samples and experiment.
'You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six'
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/yogi_berra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page