My review of the DEA Pulsar Screen. WOW! - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 99Likes

post #61 of 453 Old 03-16-2018, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
You are correct I will most likely never buy a screen from DS or any ALR screen as I have no need for ALR properties in my theater except ambient light coming to the screen from the exact same location as the projectors light. Nothing from the sides or behind the screen. That does not mean I don’t help a lot of other people select screens for use with different situations concerning ambient light issues and it does not mean I don’t have an interest in the science behind it.

If this thread is closed to anyone that is not going to buy a DS screen in the near future then we need to know that because at that point the thread becomes an advertisement.

I have participated in thousands of screen threads without purchasing them and it was never once mentioned I needed to be planning a purchase in order to not anger the OP.

You posted about 50 off axis screen shots that clearly show a brighter image on the side of the photo nearest the camera and darker on the far side in comparison to photos taken of the same image straight on. Some show the bright light in the corner some don’t within the frame of the photo. I don’t dispute it could be your cameras auto adjusting doing its thing as screen shots actually mean very little as they adjust just as you stated and also adjust to perceived black levels just as our eyes do in ANSI images and so far all we have seen is ANSI images. If the camera can be doing this distortion then we have no reason to believe it isn’t inaccurate in how it is portraying black levels when they appear to be excellent.

I followed this thread for a week and looked at many screen shots. I’m told it is imposable to get samples of the material and we don’t know the price. If I was in the market or trying to help someone select a screen I would have to advise them based on that information.

Scrutinize & Question is what these forums are all about.
I will not respond to you further in this thread. You have a blessed day.
bud16415 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 453 Old 03-16-2018, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Ftoast, I have not forgotten about your question. I will do the flashlight thingy tonight.
post #63 of 453 Old 03-16-2018, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Same angle. One pic was taken in between the phone doing the auto glare adjustment. While the second was taken after the phone kicked in the auto glare adjustment. Notice how much darker the left side is after the phone's auto glare adjustment kicked in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180316_025949.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	2376128   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180316_025623.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	2376130  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 453 Old 03-16-2018, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Pics 23 Sharp angle shots
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180316_015549.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	2376132   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180316_015129.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	2376134   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180316_015018.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	2376136  
post #65 of 453 Old 03-16-2018, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Pics 24 Sharp angle shots
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180316_005531.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	2376138  
post #66 of 453 Old 03-16-2018, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Previous dark room shots
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180314_013637.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	2376146   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180314_013729.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	2376148  
post #67 of 453 Old 03-16-2018, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Lumens Did you modify your own screen or did you send it to DES to get modified? I contacted them about having them modify my current screen to the Abyss, but was wondering how easy it is to do yourself. I am also debating if I would want the Abyss or Pulsar. I have an Epson 5040 in a cave, 120" screen at around 12 ft. Ambient light is not a problem with the light off. With the front light on it is mostly washed out. Any suggestions?

My Theater Build: The Underground Apolkalypse Theater
Marantz SR7010, Monolith 7 Amplifier, Pro-Ject - Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Epson 5040ub, Oppo UHD-203 Player, Xbox One, nVidia Shield
Atmos 7.3.4 - Polk 2x RTiA9, CSiA6, 2x FXiA6, 2x RTIA3, 4x 70-RT
PowerSoundAudio XS30, Sunfire 2x - HRS-12 12" Subwoofers
post #68 of 453 Old 03-16-2018, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

I try to to be fair, so as I stated before there are some cons that come with the screen. It has a slight bias towards blue so it is not ISF certified. If you do not like a cooler image, you will have to calibrate your projector once you receive this screen. Also I will state that I've never been someone to notice such things as screen door effect, shimmering, or sparkles. Shimmering is a common attribute for ALR screens with gain added so if you were to receive this screen your mileage may vary as far as any degree of shimmer that you might notice. Once again I have not noticed any shimmering, however I cannot speak for everyone.

I sat at 45 degree and 60 degree angles from the screen. I did not notice any perceived drops in brightness. When walking around the screen from left to right I'm sure there is a gradual drop off in brightness however it is so gradual that I did not notice it.

I know this screen cannot bend the laws of physics. So there has to be a drop-off in brightness for the viewing cone to work, however once again I can only state from my personal experience I've not noticed any significant drop off in brightness when I walk from left to right of the screen. I've never uploaded a video on to this website, however I could try walking from left to right of the screen tonight and upload a video. However, if my phone's camera does anything to deter from the brightness I'm actually seeing in person, I will not upload it.

One thing I can state for sure, is this screen retains the deepest black levels of any alr screen I've ever seen or owned. My custom screen builder who's seen just as many screens as me, was also blown away by the performance of this product. We both went in thinking this product will be a decent competitor to the Black Diamond for a cheaper price. Nothing more. Neither one of us expected to be blown away by the results with his product. But we both admitted we were floored upon seeing it and never saw any other ALR screen hold black levels this efficiently. The pictures don't lie on that and what I'm seeing in person is actually deeper black levels than the pictures are showing. Where you're seeing shades of blue in some of these pictures is actually a deep black in person. As I stated before, this phone does not do this screen complete justice to what I'm seeing in person. But the images are still good enough to where I'm trying to share online to show others the performance of this screen.

The most frustrating thing about this website sometime is the constant bickering over products when people do not have a visual benchmark of what is being discussed. By that what I mean is you have to get out and see products sometime in your life. If you're only going by other people's reviews, professional reviews, and scientific breakdowns about how a product works that is only one aspect of product research. But you, yourself need to have a visual benchmark for some of the top products in the industry. If anyone has seen the Black Diamond, Stewart Firehawk, DNP 08 Blade, etc in person they will understand what I'm saying. It's readily apparent what those screens do well along with their flaws once you see them in person. It's something that could be assessed in one minute or less. So once you have that established you can come online and have a discussion as to how new products compare to the benchmark products for the alr market.

Seeing the Black Diamond, Darkstar, etc can at least give you a reference for what I'm attempting to show. But if you never seen any of these materials and you only going by online research you're not going to understand what I'm trying to get across here.

I also wanted to add that people should not believe the baseless jargon that is spoken here when it comes to weak rooms. I used to have a bat cave where all my walls were painted jet black. The contrast levels I had in that room were off-the-charts like sitting in a space auditorium. However, even in my current room with white walls all around I am able to get reasonably deep black levels assuming I use a higher contrast projector such as my previous JVC and my current Sony projector paired with an alr screen.

Last edited by LumensLover; 03-16-2018 at 03:01 PM.
post #69 of 453 Old 03-16-2018, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by siuengr View Post
Lumens Did you modify your own screen or did you send it to DES to get modified? I contacted them about having them modify my current screen to the Abyss, but was wondering how easy it is to do yourself. I am also debating if I would want the Abyss or Pulsar. I have an Epson 5040 in a cave, 120" screen at around 12 ft. Ambient light is not a problem with the light off. With the front light on it is mostly washed out. Any suggestions?
I ordered the do-it-yourself material from D.E.S. My custom screen builder used a Black Diamond zero edge frame from a previous screen I owned and retrofitted it with the Pulsar material. If you are in a dark room with a Epson 5040 and ambient light is not an issue I would definitely recommend the abyss .9 game material. You will get deep dark blacks and the Epson 5040 is so bright that will make a super combination together. I'm betting in a dark room they will look spectacular.
post #70 of 453 Old 03-16-2018, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
I ordered the do-it-yourself material from D.E.S. My custom screen builder used a Black Diamond zero edge frame from a previous screen I owned and retrofitted it with the Pulsar material. If you are in a dark room with a Epson 5040 and ambient light is not an issue I would definitely recommend the abyss .9 game material. You will get deep dark blacks and the Epson 5040 is so bright that will make a super combination together. I'm betting in a dark room they will look spectacular.
Thanks, I am using an Elite Grey screen now, and have been debating if it is worth the upgrade. Thanks for posting all of the pictures and review.

My Theater Build: The Underground Apolkalypse Theater
Marantz SR7010, Monolith 7 Amplifier, Pro-Ject - Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Epson 5040ub, Oppo UHD-203 Player, Xbox One, nVidia Shield
Atmos 7.3.4 - Polk 2x RTiA9, CSiA6, 2x FXiA6, 2x RTIA3, 4x 70-RT
PowerSoundAudio XS30, Sunfire 2x - HRS-12 12" Subwoofers
post #71 of 453 Old 03-16-2018, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by siuengr View Post
Thanks, I am using an Elite Grey screen now, and have been debating if it is worth the upgrade. Thanks for posting all of the pictures and review.
You are very welcome sir.
post #72 of 453 Old 03-16-2018, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Hell yes.
Thanks, I'd probably have one of these in my basement right now if the DIY material prices were listed on the DES site. With no industry reviews and limited forum info no one wants to throw away a grand without knowing what they are getting.

I agree with running your business as you see fit and Stephen explained the whole custom frame deal to me. I just can't wrap my head around the DIY material being secretive.

But, it's his business!
post #73 of 453 Old 03-16-2018, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfore1 View Post
Thanks, I'd probably have one of these in my basement right now if the DIY material prices were listed on the DES site. With no industry reviews and limited forum info no one wants to throw away a grand without knowing what they are getting.

I agree with running your business as you see fit and Stephen explained the whole custom frame deal to me. I just can't wrap my head around the DIY material being secretive.

But, it's his business!
I completely understand your sentiment on that. Have you tried contacting D.E.S. for a quote? It might be worth your time to do so.
post #74 of 453 Old 03-16-2018, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Texture is smooth. I don't see any added graininess or sparkles. This material is miles ahead of the Elite Crooks Cinegrey 5D in my opinion. Their brightness seems nearly the same however the Cinegrey 5D does not reject off axis and overhead light nearly as good as the Pulsar does.

The Pulsar retains much deeper black levels compared to the Cinegrey 5D. The Cinegrey 5D is comparable to the Screen Innovations Slate. Both are bright screens and retain good black levels under a low level of ambient light like a few can lights. However, both the Cinegrey 5D and the Slate will wash out under a moderate amount of ambient light such as floor lamps or table lamps with 450 lumen bulbs.
i have jvs dla rs420 projector. which on is better pulsar 1.4 or abyss .9 screen
post #75 of 453 Old 03-16-2018, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyaz Ajmeri View Post
i have jvs dla rs420 projector. which on is better pulsar 1.4 or abyss .9 screen
Definitely suggest the Pulsar for any JVC projector since they are not overly bright and the added gain from the Pulsar will definitely benefit them. JVC black levels plus the Pulsar would be immaculate.

Last edited by LumensLover; 03-16-2018 at 06:22 PM.
post #76 of 453 Old 03-16-2018, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Definitely suggest the Pulsar for any JVC projector since they are not overly bright and the added gain from the Pulsar will definitely benefit them. JVC black levels plus the Pulsar would be immaculate.
thanks
post #77 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I’m trying to decide between 1.4 and 2.0. I’m coming from HP 2.4 but I rarely see the max brightness even though the projector is only a few inches above my head. I sit a few feet from center and sometime as much as 45% off center.
post #78 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

I tried taking some pictures and a video in the dark last night however my phone's anti-glare function was still kicking in due to the brightness of the screen. So that won't work. Ftoast I could not find my high lumen LED flashlight. I will go out to purchase another one today and see if I can get your question answered tonight.

Last edited by LumensLover; 03-17-2018 at 11:16 AM.
post #79 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post
I’m trying to decide between 1.4 and 2.0. I’m coming from HP 2.4 but I rarely see the max brightness even though the projector is only a few inches above my head. I sit a few feet from center and sometime as much as 45% off center.
It depends on what your priorities are. The 2.0 gain screen will most likely give you a brighter more vivid image. However it will be at the expense of lighter black levels. If you have a dedicated room where ambient light is not an issue for you I would recommend the 2.0 Stardust material.

If you are coming from an HP high gain screen, that might be less of a drop in brightness for you.
post #80 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
It depends on what your priorities are. The 2.0 gain screen will most likely give you a brighter more vivid image. However it will be at the expense of lighter black levels. If you have a dedicated room where ambient light is not an issue for you I would recommend the 2.0 Stardust material.

If you are coming from an HP high gain screen, that might be less of a drop in brightness for you.

Thanks.
I really liked your review of the 1.4. I haven’t seen anyone that has tried 2.0 as of yet.
post #81 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

For those who were wondering about the color of the Pulsar material in person. It is actually darker than the Black Diamond 1.4 gain screen material. So it is definitely not a light gray shade material like the Screen Innovations Slate. It is a darker shade that is comparable to the Black Diamond .8 material.
post #82 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 2171 Post(s)
Liked: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyaz Ajmeri View Post
I know I am no longer being answered in this thread but I see lots of questions and recommendations being given out.

I assume this is a ALR screen material but I don’t see the questions being asked as to screen size or room conditions or the source and direction of the ambient light issue or even if there is one. All that is known is the projector being used and that this company has a screen that’s right for that projector no matter what.

I would advise those seeking a screen to totally understand all the factors that go into picture quality and select a screen that works best with your specific factors.

Again if these screens are best for every situation every time then this will be the first screen of its type ever invented.

Bud
post #83 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone new to ambient light rejecting screens or anyone who has not seen many ambient light rejecting materials from different manufacturers here is a quick rundown.

The main function of an ambient light rejecting screen is to maintain image fidelity, contrast, and black levels as much as possible in a room where ambient light is present. Now some people use ambient light rejecting screens in dark rooms for other issues such as light scatter but I won't get into that here.

No ALR screen will work well to reject light coming from the same direction as the projector. So when shopping for ALR screens you need to be looking for ambient light rejecting for overhead or off-axis meaning light coming from the sides. Daylight is the hardest light to reject. No ALR screen will look it's best with daylight coming in directly on the screen.

The major trade off when using any ALR screen will be a reduction in the viewing cone. The wider the viewing cone, the weaker the ALR rejection capability will be. The narrower the viewing home, the stronger the ALR rejection will be.

Screen uniformity can be a possible issue with all ALR screens since they have to use an narrower viewing cone to reject either off axis or overhead light. Some ALR screens will have more severe screen uniformity issues versus others. I can only speak for my personal experience, however let me give you a quick rundown of the best-performing ALR screens for overhead and off axis I have seen. I also listed these screens in my alternative to Black Diamond thread.

The best overhead light rejecting ALR screen I've ever seen is the Elite Prime vision Darkstar material. Both their 1.4 and .9 gain materials. It rejects up to 95% of overhead light. Four overhead can lights had virtually no effect on the screen's image quality and black levels. Also turning on ceiling fan lights had little effect on the screens image quality and black levels.

Best off-axis light rejecting material I've seen is the Pulsar. Placing any wall lighting or floor lamp lighting to the left and right side of the screen has little effect when using bulbs 800 lumens or less. It's overhead light rejecting capabilities are not quite as good as the Darkstar material, however it still rejects overhead light very well. It is comparable to the Black Diamond's overhead light rejecting capability. However it's off axis light rejecting capability is discernibly better than the Black Diamond's in my opinion.

If you are looking for an ALR screen with the most accurate color then you will need to look for an ISF certified ALR screen. This means that your ALR screen will not be altering the color balance in any way from your projector. This also means that you will not have to do any calibrations when first purchasing the screen and using it with your projector. The best ISF certified screens I've seen for color accuracy are the the Dalite Parallax, DNP 08 Blade, and the EPV Darkstar. The colors on the screens are spectacular out of the box when used with a accurately calibrated projector.

Something else to consider is how sensitive you are to shimmering, sparkles, sheen, graininess, color accuracy, and brightness uniformity. If you are someone who cannot stand any minor screen uniformity issues however you still want an alr screen, I can only suggest the best I've seen in the industry for image fidelity and screen uniformity without any of the aforementioned issues. These screens are the Dalite Parallax and DNP 08. Either of those two screens are the best I've seen when it comes to image fidelity with no visible alterations. However this comes at the expense of reduced alr capabilities. They have a wider viewing cone off-axis with no visible reduction in brightness therefore their ALR capability when it comes to protecting light off axis is average at best. However they're over head ambient light rejecting capability is solid. Their color accuracy and image fidelity is spectacular when used with the right projector.

I love high gain screens. So all of my alr screens have typically been over 1.0. However with added gain comes the possibility of shimmering. If you do not want to deal with any type of shimmering issue it is best to get a 1.0 or below gain ALR screen. Screens such as the DNP 08 Blade and the Dalite Parallax have fairly wide off access and overhead viewing cones. This is why they are so popular due to the image fidelity having little to no uniformity issues. However this is also why their alr capabilities are at the bottom of the list. So you have to choose what you want carefully and you can't have it all in any ALR screen.

With all that being said the D.E.S. Pulsar screen was the perfect combination of what I was looking for. It's image quality is as uniform as the EPV Darkstar material in my opinion. However I could not put it in the same level for image fidelity as the Darkstar and DNP materials because the Pulsar will need to be calibrated for the most accurate image fidelity possible. The Pulsar retains black levels in the presence of moderate levels of ambient light better than the Black Diamond in my opinion and it also rejects overhead light somewhat better than the Black Diamond in my opinion. The Pulsar material has brightness comparable to the screen Innovations Slate combined with stronger ambient light rejecting capabilities comparable to the Black Diamond. This is what I've been searching for since I began my ALR screen journey. I wanted a screen bright enough to give me a plasma like image comparable to what I was receiving with the EPV Darkstar material.

I also wanted the alr screen to retain deep black levels comparable to what I was seeing with the Screen Innovations Black Diamond under the right lighting. I've accomplished all of those goals with the Dark Energy Screens Pulsar material and this is the happiest I've ever been with any home theater purchase outside of my Klipsch 535 Jubilee speakers. I'm ecstatic right now and can't wait to get home every night to watch movies and TV. I am very thankful that I was able to find this level of performance for such an affordable price.

The time has come for the niche alr market to evolve. I am thankful that Screen Innovations expanded the alr market and pretty much put the ALR niche market on the map to everyday consumers. However the days of charging exorbitant $5,000 prices for ALR materials is definitely something that needs competition to bring the prices down to affordable levels.

I do realize that everyone learns in a different manner. Some people prefer a more scientific, technical approach when doing their research. For those of you who want a more scientific, organized breakdown of how ALR materials from popular screen manufacturers compare, I advise looking up the ALR screen shootout article on projector central.com. With that being said I had seen all of the materials listed in the alr screen shootout long before that article was posted online. I'm someone who learns from first hand experience. Also my extreme obsessive compulsive disposition allows me to retain the most minute details about products that I see for long periods of time. So the alr shootout article on projector central.com only reaffirmed what I already knew. But it helped me understand that what I had experienced was accurate and that my own biases did not interfere with my memories on comparing products.

Anyone who's followed my post over the years before the shootout was posted, will see that my opinions were pretty much spot-on compared to what was posted in the ALR shootout. I state that because I know many question what I say here because I'm not a professional reviewer. Which is understandable. But I've stated before I do get out and see new products every month. And normally what I post here is spot-on when items are tested. So I do feel my opinion holds value.

Last edited by LumensLover; 03-18-2018 at 09:04 AM.
post #84 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

I also apologize in advance for any mistakes in grammar you see from my long posts. Being that I have extreme obsessive compulsive disorder, I've sold all the computers in my house in order for my next computer upgrade. I cannot use my computer at work and I do not have a computer at home right now. I'm having to do all these long posts on my phone by using Google Voice text. Which is not very accurate. So I'm constantly having to go through all of my posts to find and correct errors.
post #85 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 417
That is seriously impressive, I honestly didn’t think a projector setup could ever replace a TV in an average living room but this has changed my mind.

P.S.
I like your speaker choice....... are they bookshelf ones. LOL

Last edited by Luminated67; 03-17-2018 at 12:48 PM.
post #86 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
For Lumens Lover: You have a great deal of experience with screens. I'd appreciate your advise. I have a dedicated theater so ambient light isn't a problem (not a bad cave but darkish walls). I have a 2 month old Sony 285. The $5k price barrier convinced me and I love it. I have a 12 year old Firehawk. 19:9 135" diagonal (not perforated). It's light grey looking in room light. Picture looks great but to my liking not bright enough and black is really black and detail lost. I would like a new screen that's brighter in this dedicated theater. I'd like to go bigger 135" 16:9 diagonal but recognize that might not be a good idea in this setup.
I'd appreciate your views.
post #87 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
That is seriously impressive, I honestly didn’t think a projector setup could ever replace a TV in an average living room but this has changed my mind.

P.S.
I like your speaker choice....... are they bookshelf ones. LOL
Thank you very much for the kind words. And I just saw your post edit. It made me laugh out loud.

I too was coming to the same conclusion a few months ago. After cycling through countless ALR screens. I felt that there's no way the home theater experience will rival the plug-and-play feel of a TV setup. I'm also not someone who settles for "watchable" picture. Either the image quality is going to look good for most times of the day or it's not.

So after the last few alr purchase headaches I was ready to give up front projection altogether. The Dark Energy Screens Pulsar has restored my faith in front projection and showed me that under the right lighting conditions along with the right equipment, a front projector setup can definitely rival a TV in a non dedicated room. I am very thankful for this setup and I am enjoying it immensely at this time.
Luminated67 likes this.
post #88 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Pics 25
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180316_225909.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	2376484  
post #89 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Engle View Post
For Lumens Lover: You have a great deal of experience with screens. I'd appreciate your advise. I have a dedicated theater so ambient light isn't a problem (not a bad cave but darkish walls). I have a 2 month old Sony 285. The $5k price barrier convinced me and I love it. I have a 12 year old Firehawk. 19:9 135" diagonal (not perforated). It's light grey looking in room light. Picture looks great but to my liking not bright enough and black is really black and detail lost. I would like a new screen that's brighter in this dedicated theater. I'd like to go bigger 135" 16:9 diagonal but recognize that might not be a good idea in this setup.
I'd appreciate your views.
For a 135 inch screen that is brighter than the Firehawk, I would recommend the Screen Innovations Slate. It shows a clean, refined image. It is one of the brightest alr screens I've seen. It is definitely brighter than the Firehawk and it will retain solid blacks levels under low amounts of ambient light. In a dark room, it shows a stellar image.

Last edited by LumensLover; 03-17-2018 at 01:37 PM.
post #90 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

I finally feel that my front projection setup is perfect the way things look now. I would not change anything on this set up. My limiting factor now is the bulb' brightness in my projector. I know that due to my obsessive compulsive nature, as soon as the bulb starts to dim it is going to irritate the hell out of me. I can't wait for an affordable 2000 lumens laser projector with high contrast to become available under $5,000. That will be the last piece of equipment I need to keep this setup looking as grand as it does now with no deterioration in brightness quality over time(at least for a few years.)

My front projector setup definitely looks like a large plasma now. The only other setup I've seen that looks more vivid with strong black levels under moderate amounts of ambient light is the Sony VPLVZ1000ESSKU short throw laser projector paired with a custom Screen Innovations short-throw ALR screen. I saw those two together in a showroom with five overhead lights on and one light on to the side. It look like a hundred inch TV with no loss in image quality, brightness, or black levels. From the moment I saw that, I was awestruck and it has been my goal to duplicate that set up at home. I must say that this setup I have now comes darn close to it.

Last edited by LumensLover; 03-17-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page