My review of the DEA Pulsar Screen. WOW! - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 99Likes

post #91 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Would you be willing/able to set something like a small desklamp (or flashlight in a pinch) on the floor against the wall beneath the screen where it shines up sideways across the screen, then share words (or even pictures) of how dark-colored the Pulsar looks compared to the BD1.4, CineGrey5D, Slate, and MatineeBlack with the projector off and that light as the only strong light hitting them?

Something like this would give me a more apples-to-apples way to follow along at home since DarkEnergy doesn't provide/sell samples anymore, and it sounds like the Pulsar is working great!
I will take a picture with the flashlight this evening. However did you want me to do this with the room completely dark or with lights on?

As far as the shade of color of the screen, I've seen it side-by-side next to the Black Diamond 1.4. The Pulsar material is about 20% darker than the Black Diamond 1.4 material. It is definitely not a lighter shade of grey like the Screen Innovations Slate material. It is also discernibly darker than the Elite Crooks Cinegrey 5D material.
Ftoast likes this.

Last edited by LumensLover; 03-17-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked: 921
I'd like the room dark (aside from the single light hitting both the screen and sample/s at an extreme angle from below, against the wall) if possible.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #93 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
I tried taking some pictures and a video in the dark last night however my phone's anti-glare function was still kicking in due to the brightness of the screen. So that won't work. Ftoast I could not find my high lumen LED flashlight. I will go out to purchase another one today and see if I can get your question answered tonight.
It didn't have to be super bright or anything fancy, just a light that you can move near the floor+wall and shine upward. A little study lamp or even a phone flashlight could probably work as long as it makes enough light for you to see some differences between the screens/materials. ...unless you also need to make sure you have a flashlight handy for reasons besides this.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It didn't have to be super bright or anything fancy, just a light that you can move near the floor+wall and shine upward. A little study lamp or even a phone flashlight could probably work as long as it makes enough light for you to see some differences between the screens/materials. ...unless you also need to make sure you have a flashlight handy for reasons besides this.
Okay got it. Will do it tonight in a dark room.
post #95 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 224
My review of the DEA Pulsar Screen. WOW!

After talking to Stephen, I’ve decided to go with 1.4. He feels the added contrast should even out or add more to the loss of brightness. Plus the fact when I Watch most of the time I’m probably getting maybe 1.5 to 1.8 gain from the HP using my Sony hw40.
Thanks Lumens for your help.
Keep those pics coming!
post #96 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

To everyone else in this thread I want to state that I normally prefer a very streamlined ordering system. I don't like talking to a middle man or anyone else before making a purchase. I do my own research and when I'm ready to purchase a product I'm already well-versed on said the product at the time of ordering. However, I can understand wanting to talk to customers first before orders go out. This is for two major reasons. Keep in mind these are my opinions and do not reflect in any way Dark Energy screens.

First thing is that starting a small business, inventory is hard to come by. So when I ran my business I normally had inventory made-to-order but I could not afford to purchase inventory first and have it sitting and waiting on customers to purchase it. Second thing is returns are a very big deal when you are running a small business with with a slim profit margin. Constant returns killed one of my previous businesses. So in that respect, I can understand wanting to talk to customers to make sure they fully understand the product they're ordering.

For example if someone has a great room with huge windows around near the ceiling and does not want to use curtains, this is going to have constant blazing sunlight throughout the room in the day dowsing an ambient light projection screen, such a room is setting said screen up for failure. Then said party may want to return the product because it does not meet their expectations.

Another example is someone say wanting a large 135 inch screen in a below gain material. If paired with the wrong projector this screen may appear too dim for the customer's liking. Or once the lamp hits 500 hours, customers might no longer be content with the brightness of the screen. Which once again could result in a return.

I also want to add, that after a year of bombarding D.E.S threads with brightness questions, I went against my normal judgment and decided to call Steven to talk about a possible order. I will admit I was expecting a used car salesman approach with someone telling me basic information that I already know and trying to force the product down my throat. I must say I was pleasantly surprised that Steven was totally opposite.

He was very helpful and patient and did not try to push the product on me. Even after not showing definite purchasing interest and entering Dark Energy Screens product threads for over a year asking repeated questions about brightness, projector use, and projector brightness modes he was still patient with me when I called back to finally put in order a year after first inquiring about his products. So once again I'm not trying to upsell anyone but I will give credit where credit is due for good customer service.

Last edited by LumensLover; 03-17-2018 at 05:31 PM.
post #97 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
For a 135 inch screen that is brighter than the Firehawk, I would recommend the Screen Innovations Slate. It shows a clean, refined image. It is one of the brightest alr screens I've seen. It is definitely brighter than the Firehawk and it will retain solid blacks levels under low amounts of ambient light. In a dark room, it shows a stellar image.
Surprised you wouldn't recommend the DEA Pulsar.
post #98 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Engle View Post
Surprised you wouldn't recommend the DEA Pulsar.
I would love to recommend it. But I thought that DES does not make screens larger than 120 inch diagonal. I apologize if I misunderstood your question. If you're asking about a 135 inch scope screen which is bright and retains strong black levels levels, I highly recommend the Pulsar.
post #99 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 312
I have been following this thread with interest.
I emailed DES and asked them about the availability of electric drpo screens. I got an immediate response from CS:
"Unfortunately we do not offer a roll down version at this time, but we can laminate our material onto an existing one".
Aparently several customers have drop shipped a tab tensioned screen directly to DES and they have laminated their screen on to it, then shipped it out to the end customer. I asked for further info and cost projections, but got no response...
Have any of you ever heard of anything like this? Our set up requires an electric drop.
Thanks in advance
post #100 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
I emailed DES and asked them about the availability of electric drpo screens. I got an immediate response from CS:
"Unfortunately we do not offer a roll down version at this time, but we can laminate our material onto an existing one".
Aparently several customers have drop shipped a tab tensioned screen directly to DES and they have laminated their screen on to it, then shipped it out to the end customer. I asked for further info and cost projections, but got no response...
Have any of you ever heard of anything like this? Our set up requires an electric drop.
Thanks in advance
For this type of question, I would strongly recommend calling Dark Energy Screens directly and talking to Stephen. Hopefully he can help you get the product you're looking for.

You can always ship the screen material from a pre-existing tab tension screen and D.E.S. can laminate it for you. From what I've been told the results should be identical to their manufactured screens.

Last edited by LumensLover; 03-17-2018 at 05:49 PM.
post #101 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I’ve emailed Stephen over this past year and he was very quick to respond with detailed answers.
The total opposite feedback you would get from Microlite Screens...if they still exist.
post #102 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Here are your requested pics Mr. French Toast
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180317_205009.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	2376618   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180317_204918.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	2376620  
post #103 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

More
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180317_205811.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	2376634   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180317_205759.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	2376636  
post #104 of 453 Old 03-17-2018, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For this type of question, I would strongly recommend calling Dark Energy Screens directly and talking to Stephen. Hopefully he can help you get the product you're looking for.

You can always ship the screen material from a pre-existing tab tension screen and D.E.S. can laminate it for you. From what I've been told the results should be identical to their manufactured screens.
Stephen was the guy who responded initially.
Perhaps the answer depends on a number of different factors that were not easily determined, so he did not follow up....
post #105 of 453 Old 03-18-2018, 12:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here are your requested pics Mr. French Toast
I might've worded my request awkwardly. I'm interested how the DE Pulsar looks with a sample of SI BlackDiamond1.4 resting on top (near center if possible) with a light shining basically straight up across the screen+sample at the same time...viewed from the middle (like your middle seat, but likely closer so you can see differences a bit more easily).
Sorry for the confusion.
I'm fine with you describing the difference instead of taking pictures if you'd prefer.

post #106 of 453 Old 03-18-2018, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I might've worded my request awkwardly. I'm interested how the DE Pulsar looks with a sample of SI BlackDiamond1.4 resting on top (near center if possible) with a light shining basically straight up across the screen+sample at the same time...viewed from the middle (like your middle seat, but likely closer so you can see differences a bit more easily).
Sorry for the confusion.
I'm fine with you describing the difference instead of taking pictures if you'd prefer.
Sorry I misinterpreted your previous post. I gave away my Black Diamond samples to other members here. I've had seven Black Diamond screens over the last 3 years so every aspect for every generation of the BD 1.4 material is burned into my brain at this point. I could potentially order another sample from Screen Innovations for comparison purposes only. However I can say from experience that if you were to see these screens in passing you will not be able to tell the difference from the materials. I can tell that the Pulsar is somewhat darker just because I'm so familiar with the Black Diamond material but most people will not be able to see the difference.
post #107 of 453 Old 03-18-2018, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Thanks in advance
Maybe just a delay leading into the weekend? I am super interested in this scenario as well. Did you ask about the rollable screens they fused theirs too? What was the best base layer? Any thoughts on how they held up over time?

In my scenario (pic attached) my assumption is that a 110" screen under the soffit against the back wall where the TV is would be horrible in terms of reflection/glare from above. So my thinking is that a retractable screen a few feet closer against the lip / front face of the soffit will be the best. LumensLover, any thoughts on this based on your ALR experiences?

Project choice is most likely the JVC RS640.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Soffit.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	2376992  
post #108 of 453 Old 03-18-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stattico View Post
Maybe just a delay leading into the weekend? I am super interested in this scenario as well. Did you ask about the rollable screens they fused theirs too? What was the best base layer? Any thoughts on how they held up over time?

In my scenario (pic attached) my assumption is that a 110" screen under the soffit against the back wall where the TV is would be horrible in terms of reflection/glare from above. So my thinking is that a retractable screen a few feet closer against the lip / front face of the soffit will be the best. LumensLover, any thoughts on this based on your ALR experiences?

Don’t you think they are just painting their screen surface onto the screen you ship them. If they actually attached another screen to the one you shipped them it would be thicker and would roll up to a larger diameter who knows if it would even fit in the case. Then the bonding between the two would be stressed when rolling and how could they know the bond would be good as every screen has different coatings and such. With the extra weight of two screens how much harder would it work the drive for the screen.

If I had an old screen sitting around I might think about doing this but to go buy a new tab tension screen and then risk having it modified, No way.

Bud
post #109 of 453 Old 03-18-2018, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[QUOTE=Stattico;55877088]Maybe just a delay leading into the weekend? I am super interested in this scenario as well. Did you ask about the rollable screens they fused theirs too? What was the best base layer? Any thoughts on how they held up over time?

"I'm Stephen McGuire with Dark Energy Screens and we greatly appreciate your interest in our advanced ALR projection systems. Unfortunately we do not offer a roll down version at this time, but we can laminate our material onto an existing one. However, since it's not our screen.. I can't make any gaurantess nor can I warranty it either. If you are still interested, I would be happy to do that for you. Some customers in the past have purchased a tab-tension screen and had it shipped directly to us where we would resurface it with our material. Then we would simpl ship it to you through whatever shipping means is necessary. The outbound shipping of such a big box can be quite expensive though. Just let us know if this is something you would be interested in persuing and we will gladly work out the details. Until then, thank you for your interest in DES and we look foward to your reply."

Above is the email I received four days ago. I asked for further details and a rough estimate on modifying a 110" diagonal Elite Cinetension2 electric drop screen.

Perhaps I will hear back this week sometime. I'll post back if I hear something.
post #110 of 453 Old 03-18-2018, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sorry for the late reply, but it appears that humblin has answered your question.
post #111 of 453 Old 03-18-2018, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Ftoast here is a pic of a 1.4 Black Diamond sample on top of a 1.4 Pulsar screen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo0.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	2377178   Click image for larger version

Name:	O7.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	2377192   Click image for larger version

Name:	08.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	2377194  

Last edited by LumensLover; 03-18-2018 at 08:14 PM.
post #112 of 453 Old 03-18-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply, but it appears that humblin has answered your question.
Actually can you take a look at my picture and soffit question? Curious to know from your experience if you think ALR would help in this scenario.
post #113 of 453 Old 03-18-2018, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Actually can you take a look at my picture and soffit question? Curious to know from your experience if you think ALR would help in this scenario.
Is there light coming from any Windows hitting the area where the TV is directly?
post #114 of 453 Old 03-18-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Is there light coming from any Windows hitting the area where the TV is directly?
Yeah from the right there is a glass door (I've been told I can't cover it up with a curtain, but can put frosted film over it). And to the left it is open to the kitchen. Picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Windows.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	2377188  
post #115 of 453 Old 03-18-2018, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah from the right there is a glass door (I've been told I can't cover it up with a curtain, but can put frosted film over it). And to the left it is open to the kitchen. Picture attached.
That will be a bit of a gamble because it will depend on what angle the sun is hitting the area during the day. I know most days I keep my drapes open in my loft and my air screen works exceedingly well. However there a few days each month where the sun is angled at a certain direction and the light will be hitting my screen directly and I will experience some washout. On those few days I have to use drapes in order to maintain solid picture. If you cannot use drapes at all due to the patio doors then you might be safer going with a TV in that room.

Last edited by LumensLover; 03-18-2018 at 08:56 PM.
post #116 of 453 Old 03-18-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
That will be a bit of a gamble because it will depend on what angle the sun is hitting the area during the day. I know most days I keep my drapes open in my loft and my air screen works exceedingly well. However there a few days each month where the sun is angled at a certain direction and the light will be hitting my screen directly and I will experieemce some washout. On those few days I have to use drapes in order to maintain solid picture. If you cannot use drapes at all due to the patio doors then you might be safer going with a TV in that room.
Well I am pretty luck that the door faces North, and it's a covered patio and I live in the Seattle area. Thanks for the fast replies and for posting these reviews, super informative as I lead up to my first PJ purchase.
post #117 of 453 Old 03-18-2018, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well I am pretty luck that the door faces North, and it's a covered patio and I live in the Seattle area. Thanks for the fast replies and for posting these reviews, super informative as I lead up to my first PJ purchase.
Okay well both the Pulsar and the Abyss have strong off-axis ambient light rejection. In my previous condo, I had patio doors to the right and light coming from an open kitchen to the left. I was using a Black Diamond 1.4 during that time. On most days the picture was very watchable in the day and awesome in the evening using a floor lamp to the right of the screen. So it can be done as long as you have realistic expectations.

Can you install room darkening panels or vertical blinds over your patio doors?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PID-359_CID-2662_a_thumb.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	2377214   Click image for larger version

Name:	52101453.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	2377216  

Last edited by LumensLover; 03-18-2018 at 09:06 PM.
post #118 of 453 Old 03-18-2018, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Pics 26 Eye Candy under 800 lumens bulb on both sides of screen. Projector in eco mode.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180318_231653.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	2377236   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180318_231513.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	2377238  
post #119 of 453 Old 03-18-2018, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Pics 27 Vivid colors and solid contrast with moderate amount of ambient light in room.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180318_231304.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	2377240   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180318_231420.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	2377242  
post #120 of 453 Old 03-18-2018, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter