Dark room screen recomandation - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-04-2018, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Dark room screen recomandation

Hello,
I want to get a screen for a dark room. I will paint everything black (or should I choose another color, or is black the best since it absorbs light the best?). Obstructed windows of course.
I have a Benq W2000 (HT3050). Currently the room has white walls and I have an 106" Cinegrey 3d screen, which I don't think will work in the new setup.
I recently recieved a couple of samples of black widdow grey pearl, which performed very similar to my current screen, but was lighter then the cinegrey 3d, and provided less deep black, and had slightly less contrast.

I know that the way to go here would be a white screen, however due to the limitations in the black/shadows reproduction of this class of DLP PJ's , could I get a BW screen instead of a white one? I don't know how this PJ will behave in complete darkness scenario. If I were to upgrade the PJ, I would get a white screen, however I don't think I am going to do that.

Last edited by noob00224; 04-04-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-04-2018, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Hello,
I want to get a screen for a dark room. I will paint everything black (or should I choose another color, or is black the best since it absorbs light the best?). Obstructed windows of course.
I have a Benq W2000 (HT3050). Currently the room has white walls and I have an 106" Cinegrey 3d screen, which I don't think will work in the new setup.
I recently recieved a couple of samples of black widdow grey pearl, which performed very similar to my current screen, but was lighter then the cinegrey 3d, and provided less deep black, and had slightly less contrast.

I know that the way to go here would be a white screen, however due to the limitations in the black/shadows reproduction of this class of DLP PJ's , could I get a BW screen instead of a white one? I don't know how this PJ will behave in complete darkness scenario. If I were to upgrade the PJ, I would get a white screen, however I don't think I am going to do that.
Have you considered upgrading the projector? DLP black levels are very poor. You might be better off going with another projector.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-04-2018, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
Have you considered upgrading the projector? DLP black levels are very poor. You might be better off going with another projector.
@LumensLover don't tempt me.
When I got my first PJ (an optoma,about 2 years ago), I thought it was an expensive purchase, and did not want to spend more money on it. Yet here I am .
I am for the most part satisfied with the current one, and the new screen would only cost me about $150, whereas a new PJ would cost $2000+ (don't really have good deals where I live).I don't want to go on this path of getting better and better equipment since I would probably never be satisfied.

I'm just interested if BW grey pearl would have any drawbacks in a dark room over a white screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-04-2018, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked: 492
No screen can change the contrast of a projector. Any screen that has darker blacks will have dimmer whites. I would use a white screen in a bat cave but others may disagree. If the projector is overly bright on such a small screen a gray screen may be a better choice, but any ALR factors will just introduce possibly poor viewing angle, hot spotting and sparkles.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #5 of 6 Old 04-05-2018, 03:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
If you have enough light output using a gray screen will lower black levels and give a perceived contrast improvement. In reality there is no improvement but the lower black levels will help your perception to get a darker black. Like stated it lowers whites too so you need enough lumens to have decent whites if using a gray screen. If your room is dark and you don't have ambient light when viewing than you don't need much for ambient light rejecting capability just more of a basic gray screen. Stewart Cima with Tiburon material is one that comes to mind. I'm not familiar with the BW Grey pearl.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-05-2018, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 333
I had the same dilemma, I too have total light control and was struggling with the decision if either grey or white, in the end I when for white mainly because it allows me to run the projector in low lamp mode lowering the noise heard from it and lengthening the need to replace the bulb in the future.

I can understand why some might want darker blacks than from a white screen, especially when the image is completely black like in space because then it doesn’t look completely black but apart from this I’m very happy with the blacks from my setup.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page