I don’t want to make the same mistake. I HATE my screen. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-05-2018, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don’t want to make the same mistake. I HATE my screen.

Hi, I need help making sure I don’t buy the same type of material for my projector screen.
I own an Elite Vmax electric version 1, I’ve had this screen for over 13 years now.
It has like a reflective coating on it, it’s white with like a pearls or some shiny coating that seems to float on top,and it looks worst when something white hit the screen; could be a bright light on the movie, the sun, a white anything, will make this reflection even worse.
What is this screen finish called??
Reflective white?
Do I need to buy grey?
Are all white screens reflective?
Needs to be 100 to 135 electric and no need of conetention.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-05-2018, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo2k View Post
Hi, I need help making sure I don’t buy the same type of material for my projector screen.
I own an Elite Vmax electric version 1, I’ve had this screen for over 13 years now.
It has like a reflective coating on it, it’s white with like a pearls or some shiny coating that seems to float on top,and it looks worst when something white hit the screen; could be a bright light on the movie, the sun, a white anything, will make this reflection even worse.
Reflective white?
Do I need to buy grey?
Thanks!
What you're describing is typical of a high gain screen. They work by reflecting light back at the viewer and can be noticeably sparkly. A 1.0 gain screen will eliminate this. Typically high gain screens are used if the room is not properly light controlled or the projector doesn't have enough lumens for the screen size. A brighter projector in proper light control with a 1.0 gain screen is desired.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-06-2018, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6986 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo2k View Post
Reflective white?
Do I need to buy grey?
Thanks!
Get some screen samples to compare to your current screen. I don't see those issues with Stewart's less expensive Cima Neve 1.1 gain white screens. Or, there are unity gain screens.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-06-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
What you're describing is typical of a high gain screen. They work by reflecting light back at the viewer and can be noticeably sparkly. A 1.0 gain screen will eliminate this. Typically high gain screens are used if the room is not properly light controlled or the projector doesn't have enough lumens for the screen size. A brighter projector in proper light control with a 1.0 gain screen is desired.
A unity ( 1 ) gain screen also sends light scattering in all directions, so they really only work well in rooms with very dark ( or black ) non reflective surfaces ( which you more or less said there ). Screens with gain send less light onto the side walls, ceiling etc. - and with HDR - there once again isn't enough light from most projectors, so we need all we can get. I find my 1.3 gain StudioTek 130 perfect on a 118" wide 2.35:1 screen with my RS4500 - but only with a Panamorph Paladin DCR lens. Zooming, it still struggled a little light output wise, unless run in high laser ( it seemed OK until I got the lens ). Of course Blu-ray / 1080p is no problem at all, and 16:9 is.

Unity gain screens were great until HDR came and screwed things up !

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #5 of 11 Old 04-03-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
A unity ( 1 ) gain screen also sends light scattering in all directions, so they really only work well in rooms with very dark ( or black ) non reflective surfaces ( which you more or less said there ). Screens with gain send less light onto the side walls, ceiling etc. - and with HDR - there once again isn't enough light from most projectors, so we need all we can get. I find my 1.3 gain StudioTek 130 perfect on a 118" wide 2.35:1 screen with my RS4500 - but only with a Panamorph Paladin DCR lens. Zooming, it still struggled a little light output wise, unless run in high laser ( it seemed OK until I got the lens ). Of course Blu-ray / 1080p is no problem at all, and 16:9 is.

Unity gain screens were great until HDR came and screwed things up !
High gain screens are chock-full of problems so I don't think high gain screens are the answer, even for HDR, just a temporary band-aid (and an expensive one). The answer would be of course for pj manufacturers to make 5000 lumen (calibrated) projectors with the same black levels as JVC has so we can use our old unity gain screens with them and not suffer aberrations caused by the screen. (though I'm not sure a pj with a black floor of .0002 going to a full white at 5000 lumens would be comfortable, visually)
post #6 of 11 Old 04-03-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post
High gain screens are chock-full of problems so I don't think high gain screens are the answer, even for HDR, just a temporary band-aid (and an expensive one). The answer would be of course for pj manufacturers to make 5000 lumen (calibrated) projectors with the same black levels as JVC has so we can use our old unity gain screens with them and not suffer aberrations caused by the screen. (though I'm not sure a pj with a black floor of .0002 going to a full white at 5000 lumens would be comfortable, visually)
I don't consider 1.1 - 1.3 gain screens to be " high gain " myself. That's a term I reserve for screens like the High Power and Vutek Silver Star screens.

post #7 of 11 Old 04-03-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Quote:
I don't consider 1.1 - 1.3 gain screens to be " high gain " myself. That's a term I reserve for screens like the High Power and Vutek Silver Star screens.
Fair enough, though 1.1-1.3 gain screens don’t get you in the ballpark of what’s needed to do justice to HDR for most HT projectors, which was what I was responding to...I was thinking about this crazy 5-7.0 gain screens like Silverstars. Either way, it would be nice if pj manufacturers would make up most of the brightness difference and not rely on screen gain. I have high hopes for laser pj, I sure wish Epson would modify the LS100 to modulate light output for dark scenes (and change to 4K panels) or add manual iris (or both!) then we’d be getting somewhere! I think a 5K Lumen (calibrated) 4K laser modulated pj that could even do 10,000:1 on/off would be a thing to behold! The fade to blacks (light source off) followed by a bright scene would bring tears to everyone’s eyes! (And maybe make your nose run a little...). I’m hopeful the industry is getting close...I’ve got a piggy bank I’m waiting to break open.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-03-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Fair enough, though 1.1-1.3 gain screens don’t get you in the ballpark of what’s needed to do justice to HDR for most HT projectors, which was what I was responding to...I was thinking about this crazy 5-7.0 gain screens like Silverstars. Either way, it would be nice if pj manufacturers would make up most of the brightness difference and not rely on screen gain. I have high hopes for laser pj, I sure wish Epson would modify the LS100 to modulate light output for dark scenes (and change to 4K panels) or add manual iris (or both!) then we’d be getting somewhere! I think a 5K Lumen (calibrated) 4K laser modulated pj that could even do 10,000:1 on/off would be a thing to behold! The fade to blacks (light source off) followed by a bright scene would bring tears to everyone’s eyes! (And maybe make your nose run a little...). I’m hopeful the industry is getting close...I’ve got a piggy bank I’m waiting to break open.
I'm totally with you on that. I'm currently getting 47 foot lamberts for scope for HDR, but my StudioTek 130 is 128" diagonal. So if you keep your screen size reasonable, you can get a bright image. I don't have the throw distance to use a larger screen anyway. But we sit just under 10' - about one screen width away, and it looks fantastic.

post #9 of 11 Old 04-23-2019, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
You can buy some an Elite sample pack for Cinegrey, Cinegrey 2d and Cinegrey 5d for just 8 dollars.. to test.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-28-2019, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The sprakle-effect is a terrible problem. I suggest a 1.0 matte white or specific ALR screens that are not affected by the sparkle (very very few).

Gianluca
post #11 of 11 Old 04-29-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianluca Vignini View Post
The sprakle-effect is a terrible problem. I suggest a 1.0 matte white or specific ALR screens that are not affected by the sparkle (very very few).

Gianluca
I don't see any sparkle effect on my Stewart Cima Neve screen, or Studiotek 130 for that matter. Screen shots on my Cima Neve ( 4K Blu-ray, about 35 foot lamberts ) -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1558.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	435.3 KB
ID:	2560064   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1559.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	814.5 KB
ID:	2560066   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1570.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	773.9 KB
ID:	2560068   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1598.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	627.8 KB
ID:	2560070   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1600.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	635.6 KB
ID:	2560072  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page