Seymour Screen Excellence Trim Motorized Masking Screen at CEDIA 2018 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 75Likes

post #61 of 67 Old 01-27-2020, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7632 Post(s)
Liked: 9447
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
Do I even need masking ?

My tentative plan is SSE Trim-L 140” wide (or perhaps 130”) 2.40:1 scope screen (CIH). Material: Enlightor Neo (need an AT screen, MLP/front row is 9 feet away). The projector is JVC RS4500 (on high laser 2500 calibrated lumens). Room is totally light controlled.

If I instead went with a larger fixed screen “canvas” (same material) for greater aspect ratio flexibility (and cost saving!), will I even see screen material without masking ? The blacks are very good with this projector.

Perhaps any projected letterbox or pillar will appear just as black as the masking material itself ?
Masking makes all the difference in the world picture wise, as far as I'm concerned. No projector has black bars as black as masking - except maybe the Christie Eclipse !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 01-28-2020, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 115
What about built-in masking in new JVC projectors? Wouldn't that essentially block any light in the black bar area from reaching screen?
post #63 of 67 Old 01-28-2020, 09:56 AM
sor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsBuddy View Post
What about built-in masking in new JVC projectors? Wouldn't that essentially block any light in the black bar area from reaching screen?

I think it’s more to do with the fact that a totally unlit white screen will never be as black as a mask, unless you have zero light in the room. Even scatter from reflected light on the rest of the screen will light up the room somewhat. How bothersome this is, is up to the individual.
Low Profile and rossandwendy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 67 Old 01-28-2020, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
I think it’s more to do with the fact that a totally unlit white screen will never be as black as a mask, unless you have zero light in the room. Even scatter from reflected light on the rest of the screen will light up the room somewhat. How bothersome this is, is up to the individual.
Exactly. I've been projecting on a 175" diag. screen and I don't use the full width for 16:9, and even with triple black velvet on the front walls, ceiling, and floor and no lighting it is still easy to see the white screen outside the image. To me masking enables the best immersion in the film, and without it I am distracted.

Ross
Low Profile and bobof like this.

SOURCE: multi-region Oppo BDP-103D & BDP-83
post #65 of 67 Old 01-28-2020, 10:48 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 3105 Post(s)
Liked: 2237
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsBuddy View Post
It isn't an optical mask that results in all light being blocked, it is a digital mask, so it is no different to the black bars themselves in well authored content. The masking function is only useful for masking areas of the image when a different aspect screen is used.

And even if it was an optical mask (which it isn't), in all but a perfect black hole room (doesn't exist!) you'll still have reflected light lighting up unused areas of screen during some scenes versus the dark black velvet screen edges far away.

Last edited by bobof; 01-28-2020 at 10:59 AM.
post #66 of 67 Old 02-02-2020, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Seymour Screen Excellence Trim Motorized Masking Screen at CEDIA 2018

Can the TRIM system be setup to automatically mask the picture to a corresponding JVC installation mode (2:40 vs 16:9) based on the AR of the source content ? I will be using a RS4500 with a Crestron system.

Or do you need a Lumagen Radiance pro to do this ?

Last edited by blake; 02-02-2020 at 11:36 PM.
post #67 of 67 Old 02-04-2020, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
Can the TRIM system be setup to automatically mask the picture to a corresponding JVC installation mode (2:40 vs 16:9) based on the AR of the source content ? I will be using a RS4500 with a Crestron system.

Or do you need a Lumagen Radiance pro to do this ?
The Lumagen can certainly send out aspect ratio information and you can program a RS-232 control to go to the corresponding ratio. I'm not sure if the RS4500 can by itself but the projectors that I've had that will do it will have programmable trigger outputs. This can automate between two ratios, but not intermediate.

Chiefs,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

Seymour-Screen Excellence
515-450-5694
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
cedia 2018 , motorized masking screen , seymour screen excellence

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version