Xyscreen comparison review - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 52Likes

post #91 of 202 Old 01-12-2019, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielvm View Post
I used the Black spandex as well, but I placed it against the wall so it could go around my center speaker, not covering that up twice.

You really need a Black backing (or Black wall) with this cloth.
Thank you!
Think iam gonna jump on it for my future room in my new house, was into the V6 before i bumpt into your review

Last edited by Endream; 01-18-2019 at 04:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 202 Old 01-12-2019, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Wow even cheaper! I don't think you will regret it
post #93 of 202 Old 01-13-2019, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

It really is, but beware, the soundmax is quite hard to get 100% straight in diy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 202 Old 01-13-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Wow even cheaper! I don't think you will regret it
Btw can you tell me anything more about the soundmax against the more expensive V6?
Got a sample from v6 at home and no cons on the soundmax side?, for example the v6 has a black fabric on the back.
Got any pictures of your own room?, my future room will be 7mX3.8m dedicated.
Also bumped into threads about micro perf screens, but have not seen them live so feel free to give me some inputs.
Sceptical to the holes in it to start with and some people speaking about some weird effects.
post #95 of 202 Old 01-13-2019, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Xyscreen comparison review

Well enough has been said about soundmax vs dreamscreen in this forum.

To summarize: dreamscreen performs better accoustic-wise, but in MY opinion that is neglectable. The biggest differences start at 16khz.
It also has a Black backing, with soundmax you need to provide one yourself (or ask xyscreen, I thought they could do that too).
Image-wise soundmax is the real winner for me due to the higher gain.

Wouldn’t recommend perfed screens either, I had moiré like effects on some resolutions.

Look for my posts in the Epson ub5040 topic for HDR screenshots.
post #96 of 202 Old 01-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I purchased a 92" tensioned motorized screen from xy with their Black Crystal .8 material. Very happy with the screen so far. Great ambient light rejection, a nice smooth flat surface, no roller lines or blemishes, motor is quiet and average speed. Material has good detail, although it's textureless there is a bit of sheen sparkle due to the gain layer but nothing overly distracting especially for the price. Viewing angles seem good(advertised as 80° half gain) hard to tell with my w1070 which has poor light uniformity. I didnt notice any large color shift, whites are still bright and vibrant(obviously not as much on a 1.1 white screen or a da lite hi power ;] but all things relative it looks great. Shadow details maintained with a gamma/brightness adjustment. For the w1070 blacks are much deeper which is a huge plus, much increased perceived contrast. Very nice screen for $600 shipped. Shipping was 5-6 days from China after production which was a few days as well, they're made to order.
wahoospiff likes this.
post #97 of 202 Old 01-15-2019, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Great that you like your screen and thank you for your reply.

From the samples I have I like the HG Black crystal over the regular one, but unfortunately that one isn’t available in tab tention.

Black crystal and dlp projectors are a great match imo, as you said it is a nice way to improve the lesser Black level of a dlp projector.

Have fun with the screen!
post #98 of 202 Old 01-15-2019, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Great that you like your screen and thank you for your reply.

From the samples I have I like the HG Black crystal over the regular one, but unfortunately that one isn’t available in tab tention.

Black crystal and dlp projectors are a great match imo, as you said it is a nice way to improve the lesser Black level of a dlp projector.

Have fun with the screen!
The high gain would've been an intense amount of light for me too, I still need a nd2 filter for lights out viewing with the .8 material and the w1070. It's true what they say about things being relative, when I held the Black Crystal sample over my white 1.1 gain screen whites were much darker in comparison, but when just viewing the black crystal as a whole you don't notice at all.

This material really is a great option for people with white/ light colored rooms or want lights on, I was looking at all sorts of materials from elites cinegrey5d to dalite parallax. You still need to make some effort to have the lighting not shine directly on the screen, but compared to a white screen the difference is astounding. In no instance could I ever watch any content with 2 500lumen lamps on in the room with the white screen, now animation and high apl material is bright detailed and colorful, and I'm going to try to adjust some things in the room to improve low apl material, i.e. better lamp placement behind the screen etc., which is still much more watchable than before.
post #99 of 202 Old 01-15-2019, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

I think it's very smart to take the black crystal with a dlp projector and a 92" screen.

With a much larger screen, the HG version is really necessary imo. For example 120" with black crystal would become too dark I think. Your projector has enough lumens to light up the 92" screen, whilst having the benefit of the greatly improved blacks.

This is exactly what I wrote in my fuller review of different fabrics (still to be translated in English). The black crystal is a great ALR screen for smaller screens and perfect in combination with dlp projectors. Last week I had a friend over with a dlp projector. Of all the fabrics I had laying around from different manufacturers the (HG) black crystal seemed the best combo.
post #100 of 202 Old 01-15-2019, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The black crystal is a great ALR screen for smaller screens and perfect in combination with dlp projectors.
It's suprising really, to be such a dark grey and a decent gain with minimal artifacting and maintaining good viewing angles all at the lowest prices in the market.
post #101 of 202 Old 01-18-2019, 04:12 AM

Quote:
It really is, but beware, the soundmax is quite hard to get 100% straight in diy.
Oh i see, how did you solve that matter? =)
post #102 of 202 Old 01-18-2019, 04:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endream View Post
Oh i see, how did you solve that matter? =)

I asked them about this as well and their reply was to purchase a screen kit. I'm not 100% sure how that solves the problem. It comes disassembled and while assembly looks pretty easy won't I still have the issue of trying to get it "straight" which I believe is code for wrinkle free.
post #103 of 202 Old 01-18-2019, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Well to be honest, I haven't yet.

In my setup, I've got 3 spots directly above the screen which emphasise the "waves" enormously. When I put the screen in place, everything seemed as smooth as a biliart ball, untill the last 10 cm, when it came into the direct light of the spots.
It isn't a hughe problem because it's really impossible to see any "wrinkels" when projecting, not even with a 100% white pattern or sharpness pattern, but when the lights are on, it is visible.
Look in the epson ub5040 thread for some screenshots.

A friend of mine bought a whole screen and also has spot directly above his screen. His screen is 100% smooth. The screen is thightened up with springs and thus remaining straight. I stapeled the cloth on a wooden frame. With miliskin this was quite easy because that has a lot of stretch, with the soundmax it isn't
post #104 of 202 Old 01-18-2019, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatumjon View Post
I asked them about this as well and their reply was to purchase a screen kit. I'm not 100% sure how that solves the problem. It comes disassembled and while assembly looks pretty easy won't I still have the issue of trying to get it "straight" which I believe is code for wrinkle free.
Because I didn't know the brand and therefore cautious, I only bought the cloth. Because shipment and customs are a big part of the total cost, a whole screen doesn't cost a great deal more than the cloth alone. I should've bought the whole screen.

Apparentlu they are developing an adjustable AR screen atm. There's a big chance I will go for that once it's released.
post #105 of 202 Old 01-18-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Well to be honest, I haven't yet.

In my setup, I've got 3 spots directly above the screen which emphasise the "waves" enormously. When I put the screen in place, everything seemed as smooth as a biliart ball, untill the last 10 cm, when it came into the direct light of the spots.
It isn't a hughe problem because it's really impossible to see any "wrinkels" when projecting, not even with a 100% white pattern or sharpness pattern, but when the lights are on, it is visible.
Look in the epson ub5040 thread for some screenshots.

A friend of mine bought a whole screen and also has spot directly above his screen. His screen is 100% smooth. The screen is thightened up with springs and thus remaining straight. I stapeled the cloth on a wooden frame. With miliskin this was quite easy because that has a lot of stretch, with the soundmax it isn't

OK, looking back through my emails, I did find a long file they sent me that included pictures of the assembly and you can clearly see the many springs in the system to get it wrinkle free. I've requested a sample of the Soundmax 4K. Of course, I requested that sample two days ago and the only thing I received was an invoice for the entire screen so we'll see.
post #106 of 202 Old 01-18-2019, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know if they will send you samples for free and shipping costs might push you to buy the whole screen
post #107 of 202 Old 01-18-2019, 05:50 AM

It can't possible be that much. I order stuff from China all the time on alibaba which typically ships very inexpensively. They could roll it up and ship it in a small padded envelope. I've ordered three buffers (all under $150) and a Zidoo Z10 ($289) in the last month. All shipped for free and all arrived within a week to the west coast USA. We don't have any customs or duty or VAT or anything of that nature.
post #108 of 202 Old 01-18-2019, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

You're propably right, although I don't really know how it goes. Often shipment from China is cheaper than a package coming from your neighbour (sort of speak).
Perhaps one manufacturer has to pay higher fees than alibaba or other big companies.
post #109 of 202 Old 01-18-2019, 06:01 AM

I do hope they send me a sample. I already have a 120" screen made with Seymour Center Stage XD so there's no way I'm spending any money on something that may or may not even be an upgrade.
post #110 of 202 Old 01-18-2019, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

I also have a xd sample.
The weave of the soundmax is a lot thighter, but gain-wise there is not that big a difference.
I find the soundmax the better of the two, but I’m not sure if I would “upgrade” if I already had the xd...
post #111 of 202 Old 01-18-2019, 06:42 AM

Well that's helpful. Thanks.
post #112 of 202 Old 01-18-2019, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Apparentlu they are developing an adjustable AR screen atm. There's a big chance I will go for that once it's released.
They give any timeline on this? I have a thin frame Black Crystal screen sitting new in a box right now in my basement, it might end up for sale if this new screen is any anything like old Monoprice Dual format screens. 😁

I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast
to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets.
post #113 of 202 Old 01-18-2019, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

No I don’t know anything about timing...
post #114 of 202 Old 01-18-2019, 06:08 PM

Experiment over. $50 shipping for a sample. Pass.
post #115 of 202 Old 01-18-2019, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatumjon View Post
Experiment over. $50 shipping for a sample. Pass.
I was quoted $25ish usd. It's fast shipping, 2-3 days from China. Maybe you could request free shipping but it might take 2 months.
post #116 of 202 Old 01-18-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
I was quoted $25ish usd. It's fast shipping, 2-3 days from China. Maybe you could request free shipping but it might take 2 months.

I'm going to guess that there's no way in God's green earth that you live closer to China in the US than I do (unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii), so I'm not sure how I got that quote. I'm just one of those guys. I'm the guy that never gets the deal. LOL

Like I said, I order from Alibaba all the time so I know what shipping from China entails, how fast it is, etc.
post #117 of 202 Old 01-18-2019, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Too bad shipping is too expensive, even for samples.
You could work something out that one person orders a lot of samples and ships them through, but that'll become too complicated I guess...

As I said, I think alibaba can send that cheap because they send so much. Don't think that one company like xyscreen can benefit from such low rates, but I'm not sure how that works. It's not that they are too stingy to provide samples. They are the only company who send samples large enough to really evaluate. All other companies give an A4 format that isn't easy to evaluate.
post #118 of 202 Old 01-21-2019, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello, friends as I am considering XYSCREEN Sound Max4K Woven Acoustic Transparent Screen with the frame and black backing. I was looking at this size 135 inches (3155x1342mm) 2.35:1.
Other Screens that I am considering:
Screenacoustics V6 and Elunevision Audioweave 4K.

I have few concerns about XYSCREEN Sound Max4K Acoustic Transparency (Speaker Sound Quality)
Viewing distance is 1st row is 8 to 9 feet. I need some advice.

Below is my Setup:
Room Dimensions: LxWxH:
L: 20.6' X W: 10.3'(*10.8' with offset ) X H: 8
(Total 1800 Cubic feet of space )

Projector: Epson 5040ub
Receiver: Denon AVR-X8500H
Triad Speaker
Triad In-Wall Silver/4 (3, LCR )
Triad In-Ceiling Silver/6 Sat (4, overhead)
Triad In-Wall Bronze/4 Surround ((6, side & rear surrounds)
Subwoofers: PSA S1510 (Dual)
Screen: Aspect ratio of 2.35 AT Size around 120'' undecided and researching!
Seating: 3 Rows Total. 1st Row of Low Profile Ikea sofa and 2 Rows of Seatcraft Serenity Tiered Seating

Last edited by sony-pany; 01-21-2019 at 04:44 PM.
post #119 of 202 Old 01-21-2019, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

What exactly is your question?

Personally I think your screen size is very big compared to your viewing distance, no mather what fabric you would choose.

You won’t see the fabric texture at that distance though...
post #120 of 202 Old 01-21-2019, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Using this pattern http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php, with the Black Crystal .8, gamma seems to track to about 1.6 with a W1070 set to 2.2. If I set the W1070 to 2.6 then it'll track to about 1.8. Does that sound right? I'm 99% with my white screen it was at about 2.2 when set to 2.2 but it's been a while since I looked at that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page