Xyscreen comparison review - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #121 of 162 Old 01-22-2019, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielvm View Post
What exactly is your question?

Personally, I think your screen size is very big compared to your viewing distance, no matter what fabric you would choose.

You won’t see the fabric texture at that distance though...
My question is
Do you or anyone here have any Ide about Xyscreen's frame quality they offer 80mm and 12mm (like borderless)
Your thought on XYSCREEN Sound Max4K Acoustic Transparent material
I am worried about sound Transparency (Speaker Sound Quality being behind the screen and black back fabric ) Compared to Screenacoustics V6, Elunevision Audioweave 4K or Elit Screens AcousticPro 1080P3

I will appreciate your feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 162 Old 01-22-2019, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I know someone who ordered a screen (with) frame and is really happy about it. I can't speak for myself, I haven't seen it yet.

For sound transparancy the soundmax is propably the "worst" fabric. PERSONALLY I find the differences in sound transparancy neglectible though. In MY opinion the sound loss is easily corrected with eq, the biggest differences are above 16khz, so that for me that is only nearly noticable. On the other hand, you get a noticable higher gain screen with an extremely tight weave, so for me it is the absolute winner for image quality.

Just my 2 cents
post #123 of 162 Old 01-22-2019, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 67
years ago I remember having a 106" high power screen with a cheap incfocus projector and that combo threw such a nice picture. of the xyscreens which of the acoustic models comes kind of close to the picture quality of the awesome high power screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 162 Old 01-22-2019, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

The soundmax 5 has the highest gain at about 1.2...
post #125 of 162 Old 01-22-2019, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 189
@nielvm I just received a quote for a frame and material from Xyscreen and yea it's a great price. However, I forgot to ask the about the backing. I believe you mentioned you have black spandex behind yours, how is that working out for you? How did you install it?
post #126 of 162 Old 01-22-2019, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

I have a Black spandex on the wall behind my screen and around my center speaker. As long as the wall behind the screen is dark, you’re fine...
post #127 of 162 Old 01-22-2019, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
Using this pattern http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php, with the Black Crystal .8, gamma seems to track to about 1.6 with a W1070 set to 2.2. If I set the W1070 to 2.6 then it'll track to about 1.8. Does that sound right? I'm 99% with my white screen it was at about 2.2 when set to 2.2 but it's been a while since I looked at that.

I’ve never seen that test and I really don’t see what I should see...

I don’t think the screen can change the gamma much, and if it would i’d think the Black crystal would raise the gamma rather than to lower it.

Last edited by nielvm; 01-22-2019 at 10:27 PM.
post #128 of 162 Old 01-23-2019, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
I’ve never seen that test and I really don’t see what I should see...

I don’t think the screen can change the gamma much, and if it would i’d think the Black crystal would raise the gain, rather than to lower it.
If you look at the solid bars the tops are dark and the bottoms are bright, the transition area is where the gamma tracks, it should be around 2.2.
post #129 of 162 Old 02-06-2019, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Got my 130 inch Soundmax4 AT screen today .. shipped from China and delivered today.

Fedex was its usual not too efficient self and my package was stuck in Japan for over a week - no fault of Lee from XYscreen, just Fedex being Fedex.

The screen was a breeze to setup. A few screws and about 30 springs to stretch the screen.

The screen material itself is quite stiff and the weave is very tight. My initial impression is as follow:

Video: Great video quality. My seat is ~9 ft from the screen and there are no artifacts whatsoever. I watched a few scenes from Interstellar, Bladerunner 2049, Avengers, Planet Earth ... and everything was displayed with fantastic details and colors.

Audio: There is some attenuation in the higher frequency - enough that I can make out that I need to run ARC on my MRX720 again. Also I tested it late in the night when I could not really crank up the volume. As of now I believe that with light EQ audio performance will be close to the original.

Question for owners of AT screen: If my wall behind the screen is all triple black velvet, do I still need to attach the black backing, or can I get away with not applying it. My hunch is that the black backing will cause further attenuation of the highs. Thoughts?

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #130 of 162 Old 05-16-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2893 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
I tried to contact them to get a sample of Soundmax 4K, as I'm always on the lookout for new good quality AT materials - they wanted $50 just to ship a small sample in an envelope?!

Forget that, I don't think I've ever been charged for samples before wherever they've been sent from around the world. It's a great anti-sales policy!
Frank714 likes this.
post #131 of 162 Old 05-17-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6706 Post(s)
Liked: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
I tried to contact them to get a sample of Soundmax 4K, as I'm always on the lookout for new good quality AT materials - they wanted $50 just to ship a small sample in an envelope?!

Forget that, I don't think I've ever been charged for samples before wherever they've been sent from around the world. It's a great anti-sales policy!
That's quite a bit for postage !
post #132 of 162 Old 05-17-2019, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post

Hi , could you please let me know who you contacted with? Thanks
post #133 of 162 Old 05-18-2019, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
That's quite a bit for postage !

Yes seems high.

But when I worked with Lee from XY he was great. If you work with him maybe he can help out. It shouldn’t cost so much to send a piece of cloth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #134 of 162 Old 06-03-2019, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
Got my 130 inch Soundmax4 AT screen today .. shipped from China and delivered today.

Fedex was its usual not too efficient self and my package was stuck in Japan for over a week - no fault of Lee from XYscreen, just Fedex being Fedex.

The screen was a breeze to setup. A few screws and about 30 springs to stretch the screen.

The screen material itself is quite stiff and the weave is very tight. My initial impression is as follow:

Video: Great video quality. My seat is ~9 ft from the screen and there are no artifacts whatsoever. I watched a few scenes from Interstellar, Bladerunner 2049, Avengers, Planet Earth ... and everything was displayed with fantastic details and colors.

Audio: There is some attenuation in the higher frequency - enough that I can make out that I need to run ARC on my MRX720 again. Also I tested it late in the night when I could not really crank up the volume. As of now I believe that with light EQ audio performance will be close to the original.

Question for owners of AT screen: If my wall behind the screen is all triple black velvet, do I still need to attach the black backing, or can I get away with not applying it. My hunch is that the black backing will cause further attenuation of the highs. Thoughts?
I emailed them yesterday for a quote for 130" soundmax 4k with 80mm frame. They said because of the length they had to cut it in half so that it could be shipped. Was that the case for your screen? I was just a bit worried about the join and whether it was noticeable at typical viewing distance since the frame was velvet wrapped.

Also was there much EQ required for the AT screen? That was my only concern as it seemed to be higher loss compared to other screens (dreamscreen v6/seymourAV).
post #135 of 162 Old 06-04-2019, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyplace View Post
I emailed them yesterday for a quote for 130" soundmax 4k with 80mm frame. They said because of the length they had to cut it in half so that it could be shipped. Was that the case for your screen? I was just a bit worried about the join and whether it was noticeable at typical viewing distance since the frame was velvet wrapped.

Also was there much EQ required for the AT screen? That was my only concern as it seemed to be higher loss compared to other screens (dreamscreen v6/seymourAV).
The cut is not at all noticeable. It is a very thin but sturdy frame. Took me about 30 minutes to assemble. Its all covered in black velvet so not at all visible .There are a few youtube videos that you can see how it is all assmbled and how it looks.

The screen came with backing material, but the adhesive on the velcro was not very good - and it keeps coming off. So I just went to Homedepot and got good quality two way tape to put the black backing. Also I made the black backing go over the speakers, so that there is nothing between the speaker and the acoustic fabric. The black fabric covers the backside of the speakers.

I also have black velvet on the rear wall - so that helps as well.

For EQ - I just ticked up the treble on my system by 2dB, thats about it. If you read previous posts you will see that difference between SoundMax and V6 is about 2-3dB higher attenuation in the 10k+ range. On my B&Ws which have, shall I say lively highs, the difference is not really visible.

I think its a fantastic screen for the price - very easy to assemble, great picture quality etc.

post #136 of 162 Old 06-04-2019, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
The cut is not at all noticeable. It is a very thin but sturdy frame. Took me about 30 minutes to assemble. Its all covered in black velvet so not at all visible .There are a few youtube videos that you can see how it is all assmbled and how it looks.

The screen came with backing material, but the adhesive on the velcro was not very good - and it keeps coming off. So I just went to Homedepot and got good quality two way tape to put the black backing. Also I made the black backing go over the speakers, so that there is nothing between the speaker and the acoustic fabric. The black fabric covers the backside of the speakers.

I also have black velvet on the rear wall - so that helps as well.

For EQ - I just ticked up the treble on my system by 2dB, thats about it. If you read previous posts you will see that difference between SoundMax and V6 is about 2-3dB higher attenuation in the 10k+ range. On my B&Ws which have, shall I say lively highs, the difference is not really visible.

I think its a fantastic screen for the price - very easy to assemble, great picture quality etc.
Thanks @tommarra,

That's fantastic to hear. I did check out some of their youtube videos as I plan to get a 16:9 screen. Whilst looking I was thinking about masking solution and it just so happens they've released a new product that seems to work quite well.

post #137 of 162 Old 06-12-2019, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 16
how much time does the shipping take for XY fabric ? Also how does it compare to XD (looks very similar) ?
post #138 of 162 Old 06-12-2019, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoodhaliwal View Post
how much time does the shipping take for XY fabric ? Also how does it compare to XD (looks very similar) ?
About ten days, but its all dependent on Fedex. My package was stuck in Japan due to the Chinese New Year - but for now it should be fast. They ship it really fast though - Fedex is more often than not the culprit.

post #139 of 162 Old 06-12-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
About ten days, but its all dependent on Fedex. My package was stuck in Japan due to the Chinese New Year - but for now it should be fast. They ship it really fast though - Fedex is more often than not the culprit.
Thanks for your reply Tom . Do you have to put any backing black cloth behind it ?
post #140 of 162 Old 06-12-2019, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Tom . Do you have to put any backing black cloth behind it ?
If you ask Lee he can send the backing with the cloth.

I have black velvet on the wall as well as the backing, but I put my backing so that they go over the speakers so that there is nothing between my speakers and the AT screen fabric.

post #141 of 162 Old 06-13-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
If you ask Lee he can send the backing with the cloth.

I have black velvet on the wall as well as the backing, but I put my backing so that they go over the speakers so that there is nothing between my speakers and the AT screen fabric.
@Cremer Lee , is this the username?

I have black paint on the wall so I will try without any black cloth, maybe later add DB valvet or spandex. Anyone compared it to XD ? Is XD fabric same price ?
post #142 of 162 Old 06-13-2019, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

I have tested both and I prefer the xyscreen soundmax.
post #143 of 162 Old 06-13-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I have tested both and I prefer the xyscreen soundmax.
Thanks for you recommendation, any comparison pics ? I did not see them in you first post. Also how much would the 120" screen fabric cost?
post #144 of 162 Old 06-13-2019, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

For pricing: contact both manufacturers .

The xd is propably slightly better accoustic-wise because the the weave is less dense. For me this difference is neglectible. On the other hand, the soundmax has a danser weave and if I remember correctly a higher gain.

So in general the soundmax won for me for the picture quality.
post #145 of 162 Old 06-15-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
For pricing: contact both manufacturers .

The xd is propably slightly better accoustic-wise because the the weave is less dense. For me this difference is neglectible. On the other hand, the soundmax has a danser weave and if I remember correctly a higher gain.

So in general the soundmax won for me for the picture quality.
Thanks Nielvm

How do you make payments to them? I sent inquiry on their website and got reply back. Someone contacted me and asked to paypal them and I get the screen tomorrow ?

Sounds right ?
post #146 of 162 Old 06-15-2019, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Shipment takes longer, but payment sounds right.
post #147 of 162 Old 06-16-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Shipment takes longer, but payment sounds right.
Thanks Waiting for the screen now.
post #148 of 162 Old 07-16-2019, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Thanks Waiting for the screen now.

Has anyone else received their screens? Looking for more impressions/perspectives, especially on new-ish products.
post #149 of 162 Old 07-16-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n84china View Post
Has anyone else received their screens? Looking for more impressions/perspectives, especially on new-ish products.
I received the screen, but unfortunately it is still sitting in the package. I will share impression once I am able to install it.
post #150 of 162 Old 07-24-2019, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

Which 120 inch alr screen should I get for a Benq tk800 at around 15 feet? The dark crystal or the HG? It will be in the family room with ambient light. They quoted around 625ish with a frame shipped to me. How do they get such a high viewing angle, around 160, while other companies are such lower?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page