Motorized Screen : Tab Tensioned vs weighted bar - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By Don Stewart
  • 1 Post By superleo

post #1 of 8 Old 11-14-2018, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Motorized Screen : Tab Tensioned vs weighted bar

I think I have narrowed down my screen size now to a 120" 2.35:1 motorized screen. Question, I see Tab-Tensioned options which I know keeps the screen nice and taught. But it's obviously cheaper to get a screen with just the weighted bar at the bottom and no tensioning.

Is a Tab-Tensionsed screen really worth the extra $$$? I have never owned a screen before.

Build Thread:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...m-wet-bar.html
Theatre Room: Samsung UN55KU7000F | Pioneer SP-FS52 x 2 | Polk MC80 x 2
Epson 5040UB | 120" Elunevision 4K Reference Tab 2.35:1 | Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Center Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-14-2018, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1886 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
If you don't want wrinkles/waves then yes it is worth the money for tab tensioned screens. All non-tensioned screens eventually develop wrinkles/waves, some materials it is not as noticeable but none are invisible.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-14-2018, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 187
My dad and uncle invented the first tab tensioned retractable screens back in the late 70's. Both of them were avid sailboat racers and got the idea from their collective experience of properly setting sails so they would not have any wrinkles. (No wrinkles in the sails meant a faster sailboat) That said, the bottom bar is actually called the screen batten but I also hear, "bottom bar" all the time. Non tensioned screen materials are somewhat simi-rigid with a impregnated fiberglass backing that does not allow any for any dimensional adjustment in the X-Y axis and can set with wrinkles in the viewing area. Because of the fiberglass reinforcement, this type of material is very robust, difficult to tear, inexpensive to produce and was/is the first choice for abusive environments such as K1 through 12 schools. For that, it does its job well. On the other hand, a tab tension screen material has a non reinforcement backing so it allows some stretch and elasticity to the screen material. With a properly weighed screen batten and the correct catenary curve geometry cut to the outside screen edges, a tab tensioned screen can dimensionally adjust from the provided tension and be as flat as a fixed frame screen.

Manufactures of Precision Professional Projection Screens.
An ISO 9001:2015 Certified Company.
UL GREENGUARD Certified For Environmentally Friendly Products.
http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/

Last edited by Don Stewart; 11-14-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-14-2018, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stewart View Post
My dad and uncle invented the first tab tensioned retractable screens back in the late 70's. Both of them were avid sailboat racers and got the idea from their collective experience of properly setting sails so they would not have any wrinkles. (No wrinkles in the sails meant a faster sailboat) That said, the bottom bar is actually called the screen batten but I also hear, "bottom bar" all the time. Non tensioned screen materials are somewhat simi-rigid with a impregnated fiberglass backing that does not allow any for any dimensional adjustment in the X-Y axis and can set with wrinkles in the viewing area. Because of the fiberglass reinforcement, this type of material is very robust, difficult to tear, inexpensive to produce and was/is the first choice for abusive environments such as K1 through 12 schools. For that, it does its job well. On the other hand, a tab tension screen material has a non reinforcement backing so it allows some stretch and elasticity to the screen material. With a properly weighed screen batten and the correct catenary curve geometry cut to the outside screen edges, a tab tensioned screen can dimensionally adjust from the provided tension and be as flat as a fixed frame screen.
Great info! Thank you.

Epson 5040UB | 120" Elunevision 4K Reference Tab 2.35:1 | Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Center Channel

Last edited by phanttom; 11-14-2018 at 07:39 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-14-2018, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanttom View Post
Great info! Thanks. Tab Tensioned it is.

Between Elunevision and Grandview for a 2.35:1 which would you get?
Please be advised that it would not be appropriate or ethical for me comment on other screen companies. I am sure others here can help you with that.

Manufactures of Precision Professional Projection Screens.
An ISO 9001:2015 Certified Company.
UL GREENGUARD Certified For Environmentally Friendly Products.
http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/
post #6 of 8 Old 11-14-2018, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanttom View Post
Great info! Thanks. Tab Tensioned it is.

Between Elunevision and Grandview for a 2.35:1 which would you get?
Please be advised that it would not be appropriate or ethical for me comment on other screen companies. I am sure others here can help you with that.
No worries. I just re-read your name. Thanks!:-). I appreciate the feedback.

post #7 of 8 Old 12-01-2018, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
My dad and uncle invented the first tab tensioned retractable screens back in the late 70's. Both of them were avid sailboat racers and got the idea from their collective experience of properly setting sails so they would not have any wrinkles. (No wrinkles in the sails meant a faster sailboat) ...
Great story Don, thanks for sharing it.
Isn't it great how things get invented trying to solve other applications?

Thanks for your contribution to our hobby.
Don Stewart likes this.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #8 of 8 Old 12-02-2018, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6577 Post(s)
Liked: 7601
Stewart's Cima line are a great choice - tensioned, great material, and not as expensive as the regular line. I love my Cima Neve !

http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/cim...(cima%C2%AE-bc)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page