Dark Energy Screens review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #31 of 34 Old 05-13-2020, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinrazrback View Post
I finally got my ST130G4 up and dialed in. While the Pulsar has a very good picture, IMO the Stewart is far superior to it. I feel like the blacks are better, better contrast, etc. Also, the DES is not in the same league quality wise as the Stewart. Very surprised with some lights on the ST130G4 screen held its own to the DES.
That kind of performance is what you would expect from "the reference standard projection material within the AV industry" and why some are willing to pay the price premium for the best. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] Stewart rates the ambient light rejection value of StudioTek 130 G4 at 17%, so it can handle at least a little properly managed ambient light. What was the cost difference between the two?
My DES 120" 16:9 was $2150 and my 138" 2:40 ST130G4 was $2277.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 05-13-2020, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 4351 Post(s)
Liked: 3791
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinrazrback View Post
My DES 120" 16:9 was $2150 and my 138" 2:40 ST130G4 was $2277.
Wow, I didn't expect the Stewart to be so cost competitive. On a cost per square foot basis the ST130G4 actually costs less. Let us know what you think after you've had time to judge the overall performance on a variety of video in the dark and with a little ambient light in the room.
post #33 of 34 Old 05-13-2020, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Wow, I didn't expect the Stewart to be so cost competitive. On a cost per square foot basis the ST130G4 actually costs less. Let us know what you think after you've had time to judge the overall performance on a variety of video in the dark and with a little ambient light in the room.
Looks like DES prices went up 10-15%. Also looks like a screaming deal on the Stewart - poking around online most of their screens in that size seem to be $3-5k.

I wasn't a particular fan of the DES Pulsar due to sparkle and hot-spotting, but the Abyss is a spectacularly good ALR screen. I don't know what "17% ALR" means, but the Abyss had much better blacks and contrast under my side ambient-light conditions than Seymour Matinee Black or Matinee Wide (which were my only real comparisons).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 Old 05-17-2020, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Although I’m sure I can’t be defined as a model citizen of the forum due to the sporadic nature of my checking by. I can say I am still in love with my Pulsar, although admittedly i am rookie and have no other screen to compare it to. Also Stephen was always prompt and transparent with me, going over options and ensuring I was making realistic choices on seating position and projector location. I didn’t know him from Adam before finding out about DES on the AVS forum. I can wholeheartedly say that my experience with him was a positive one, he NEVER prompted me for a review, plug or, any other conceivable positive press. Never pressured me to make a decision to buy. He just made me a great screen at a reasonable price that allows me to host friends over for game day with the lights on, or a movie night blacked out. I truly hope he’s able to make it through this tough time with his business intact without losing the confidence of the members of this forum. Unfortunately it seems there are those who are willing to write him off.

Not the best shot, taken from my XS Max, but look how the screen fights off the ambient.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	364124A8-5F6B-4EDA-A2EC-6A07A92BF219_1589765311716.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	2728304  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page