2Likes
  • 1 Post By noah katz

post #1 of 25 Old 11-27-2018, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dark Energy Screens review

Hey all, I felt compelled to give my thoughts about my newly acquired pulsar 1.4 screen from DES. A little background first--I am brand new to the projector/screen world so I can't really give you a technical review of this screen. I have nothing to compare it against, so take my words for what their worth.
I recently just finished my basement in and it is a pretty large space. I did not want to create a dedicated theater room, more of an all purpose family room that will be used for watching sports, movies, TV etc. After tons of research and speaking with Stephen at DES, I decided on the pulsar 1.4 120" in solid surface. Stephen was easy to work with, and ordering was a snap. I placed my order and began the wait. Fortunately, I timed the completion of the basement and delivery of the screen about right. I received the call from the freight company that the screen had arrived so I went with a trailer to pick it up that afternoon.
Much to my dismay, when I arrived I was told the box had some exterior damage and I was asked to inspect it before taking delivery. There were some rips in the middle of this monstrous box, but it didn't appear to have penetrated enough to cause damage, so I took the screen home. I unboxed it that evening, and my heart sunk. There was a palm-sized dent in the middle of the screen, with about a quarter sized spot in that dent that was sharply indented. I took lots of pictures of the unboxing, and also pictures of the box at the warehouse and pictures of the damage itself. I immediately put all of this in an email and sent it off to Stephen that night.
The next day I was worrying myself to death about this screen and what I was going to do. I called DES a couple times but couldn't reach anyone. I remembered in one of the emails from Stephen that he gave me his personal cell number and said to call or text him at any time with questions-so I sent him a text. He responded later that day, telling me he had taken the day off because he had the flu. His response was short, and sweet: "don't worry about the screen, we will get you another one made and sent out as soon as possible". Man, what a relief it was to read that text. He even told me how I could try to pound out the dent in the damaged screen if I wanted and use it in the meantime. So I did just that. I did the best I could, and was able to get most of the dent out, but of course due to the size of it, it was still very visible.
I hung the screen, fired up the projector, and put on the first thing I could pull up on my AppleTV. I don't even remember what it was, but remember being blow away with the picture instantly, with 75% of the lights on in the basement! Again, I am no where near qualified to give a review on the quality of the screen, but from my perspective, the picture is amazing, lights on or off in the room. I'm using an epson 3700 and have it mounted about 17-18 feet away from the screen. I haven't watched anything but streamed content from AppleTv or Firestick, but I have been thrilled with the quality.
5 or so weeks go by and I get a phone call from the freight facility that I have a package arriving and we set up delivery, This time the screen arrived in pristine condition! I swapped them out and have been extremely pleased since. I felt that I needed to give this review to commend Stephen and DES on stellar customer service. If I can help convince one person that they should do business with him, maybe that will repay him for the excellent way he handled this situation. Great customer service is hard to come by these days, but this company has it. They also make a killer product, and I have no regrets going with this screen, or "the biggest TV I have ever seen" as one of my guests put it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-28-2018, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Thanks. My Dark Energy Abyss .9 is coming next week. I've read a couple posts from people saying they had damage from DES during shipping, hoping mine comes okay. Can't wait to see how well the ALR properties work. I'm coming from an Elite Screen CineGrey 5D but Stephen said he's had people move from SI's expensive Black Diamonds to his screens.
post #3 of 25 Old 11-28-2018, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

I looked hard at the cinegrey from Elite, but heard too many negative things. I’d like to hear your comparison when your new screen arrives. I don’t really need reassurance that I made the right choice, I’m certain I did but it never hurts to hear it lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 11-28-2018, 06:36 PM

Since I have a motorized retractable CineGrey 5D, I am going to place the Dark Energy Abyss screen directly behind it and do a continuous video, for other to see, showing first the CineGrey, they raising it to expose the DEA. It'll be a continuous video of full size screen vs. full size screen, instead of full size vs. small samples.

Last edited by brandon_k_w; 11-28-2018 at 06:40 PM.
post #5 of 25 Old 11-30-2018, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2375 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon_k_w View Post
Since I have a motorized retractable CineGrey 5D, I am going to place the Dark Energy Abyss screen directly behind it and do a continuous video, for other to see, showing first the CineGrey, they raising it to expose the DEA. It'll be a continuous video of full size screen vs. full size screen, instead of full size vs. small samples.

I think it would be more useful to raise the 5D half way so they can be directly compared and the camera has the same autosettings for both.
brandon_k_w likes this.

Noah
post #6 of 25 Old 12-04-2018, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Mike View Post
Hey all, I felt compelled to give my thoughts about my newly acquired pulsar 1.4 screen from DES. A little background first--I am brand new to the projector/screen world so I can't really give you a technical review of this screen. I have nothing to compare it against, so take my words for what their worth.
I recently just finished my basement in and it is a pretty large space. I did not want to create a dedicated theater room, more of an all purpose family room that will be used for watching sports, movies, TV etc. After tons of research and speaking with Stephen at DES, I decided on the pulsar 1.4 120" in solid surface. Stephen was easy to work with, and ordering was a snap. I placed my order and began the wait. Fortunately, I timed the completion of the basement and delivery of the screen about right. I received the call from the freight company that the screen had arrived so I went with a trailer to pick it up that afternoon.
Much to my dismay, when I arrived I was told the box had some exterior damage and I was asked to inspect it before taking delivery. There were some rips in the middle of this monstrous box, but it didn't appear to have penetrated enough to cause damage, so I took the screen home. I unboxed it that evening, and my heart sunk. There was a palm-sized dent in the middle of the screen, with about a quarter sized spot in that dent that was sharply indented. I took lots of pictures of the unboxing, and also pictures of the box at the warehouse and pictures of the damage itself. I immediately put all of this in an email and sent it off to Stephen that night.
The next day I was worrying myself to death about this screen and what I was going to do. I called DES a couple times but couldn't reach anyone. I remembered in one of the emails from Stephen that he gave me his personal cell number and said to call or text him at any time with questions-so I sent him a text. He responded later that day, telling me he had taken the day off because he had the flu. His response was short, and sweet: "don't worry about the screen, we will get you another one made and sent out as soon as possible". Man, what a relief it was to read that text. He even told me how I could try to pound out the dent in the damaged screen if I wanted and use it in the meantime. So I did just that. I did the best I could, and was able to get most of the dent out, but of course due to the size of it, it was still very visible.
I hung the screen, fired up the projector, and put on the first thing I could pull up on my AppleTV. I don't even remember what it was, but remember being blow away with the picture instantly, with 75% of the lights on in the basement! Again, I am no where near qualified to give a review on the quality of the screen, but from my perspective, the picture is amazing, lights on or off in the room. I'm using an epson 3700 and have it mounted about 17-18 feet away from the screen. I haven't watched anything but streamed content from AppleTv or Firestick, but I have been thrilled with the quality.
5 or so weeks go by and I get a phone call from the freight facility that I have a package arriving and we set up delivery, This time the screen arrived in pristine condition! I swapped them out and have been extremely pleased since. I felt that I needed to give this review to commend Stephen and DES on stellar customer service. If I can help convince one person that they should do business with him, maybe that will repay him for the excellent way he handled this situation. Great customer service is hard to come by these days, but this company has it. They also make a killer product, and I have no regrets going with this screen, or "the biggest TV I have ever seen" as one of my guests put it.
RX_Mike. How did you manage to make a order with Dark Energy Screens? I tried sending a email to dessupport and it bounced. Leaving a message on the website didn't get a response.
post #7 of 25 Old 12-04-2018, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Sounds like you got the Solid Surface like I did, I love my Pulsar as well! And Stephen’s customer service can’t be beat, maybe matched but I can’t imagine someone out doing him the loyalty dept. Next we need pic’s!
post #8 of 25 Old 12-10-2018, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicker View Post
RX_Mike. How did you manage to make a order with Dark Energy Screens? I tried sending a email to dessupport and it bounced. Leaving a message on the website didn't get a response.

I just gave them a call and I talked directly to Stephen and placed the order on the phone.
post #9 of 25 Old 12-13-2018, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon_k_w View Post
Just curious on your thoughts thus far.

And why the change?
post #10 of 25 Old 12-13-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameneeded View Post

Just curious on your thoughts thus far.

And why the change?
I have not received the screen yet. I wanted a more aggressive ALR screen since I use my projector during the daytime with blinds open.
post #11 of 25 Old 12-13-2018, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Mike View Post
I just gave them a call and I talked directly to Stephen and placed the order on the phone.
glad to hear about your positive experience with customer service and the screen itself. just curious.. why did your replacement screen take 5 weeks?
post #12 of 25 Old 01-02-2019, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I am new here. Been reading up on the DEA screens and now have decided to buy one.

I am also in communication with Stephen via email and hopefully I can get a quote for the Pulsar 1.4 soon. Trying to replace my Carl's Place grey screen.

The damage container is worrying. Hopefully won't be a problem with the flexi type screen which I am after. Might drop Stephen a call.
post #13 of 25 Old 01-05-2019, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Once received can someone please post pictures. I’m highly interested in the pulsar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 25 Old 01-06-2019, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just purchased the DEA Flex material, will write a review with photos and do a comparison to my current screen - Carls ALR - once the DEA arrives! Very excited!

I've also been super impressed with how responsive and informative Stephen has been via email - dealing with him is what tipped me over to make the purchase.
post #15 of 25 Old 01-06-2019, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaveint View Post
Just purchased the DEA Flex material, will write a review with photos and do a comparison to my current screen - Carls ALR - once the DEA arrives! Very excited!

I've also been super impressed with how responsive and informative Stephen has been via email - dealing with him is what tipped me over to make the purchase.

That is fantastic. I’m looking forward to the comparison. What is your screen size and is it s custom build?

post #16 of 25 Old 01-23-2019, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Subscribed - very interested in the Pulsar.

Lots of lights on and dark/light off/night time pics please!
post #17 of 25 Old 01-28-2019, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Did you receive your screen yet?

post #18 of 25 Old 03-16-2020, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Does anyone know what is going on with Stephen (or DES team)?
It has been more than a week and I did not manage to contact anybody. Be it emails, phone calls etc. I am surprised because Stephen was really responsive. I was suppose to have a tracking number by now, or at least some news....
post #19 of 25 Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by danimanfx View Post
Does anyone know what is going on with Stephen (or DES team)?
It has been more than a week and I did not manage to contact anybody. Be it emails, phone calls etc. I am surprised because Stephen was really responsive. I was suppose to have a tracking number by now, or at least some news....
I've been trying to get a response from him for 6 weeks and had none.

Does anybody know what's going on?
post #20 of 25 Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Stephen has gone MIA. 3 weeks ago he was supposed to ship my replacement screen (waiting since January). Sent me a tracking link but he never gave it to the freight carrier. Finally heard from him and he said would not be able to ship the screen due to Corona and was shutting down. Have sent 3 emails in the past 3 weeks with any updates and nothing, zero reply from him. Doubt I will ever see my replacement screen. Even asked for a refund. Nada. I did reach out to the 3PL he uses for shipping and they informed me he paid for my shipment (even though I said I would pay for shipping and set it up) but never gave it to them. Good luck guys.

Last edited by flyinrazrback; Today at 06:50 AM.
post #21 of 25 Old Today, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 4011 Post(s)
Liked: 3178
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinrazrback View Post
... Finally heard from him and he said would not be able to ship the screen due to Corona and was shutting down. ...
Disruptions from coronavirus are not uncommon in areas of the supply chain for all products so this is certainly a legitimate excuse for many businesses. We really won't know until after the coronavirus is under control which small businesses will have survived the economic meltdown and which will have disappeared.

Since DES has used AVS Forum to market its products and has many followers here it would be a good business gesture for them to post a message on this forum explaining the current situation and what to expect after the coronavirus is under control and the supply chain returns to functioning normally.
post #22 of 25 Old Today, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinrazrback View Post
... Finally heard from him and he said would not be able to ship the screen due to Corona and was shutting down. ...
Disruptions from coronavirus are not uncommon in areas of the supply chain for all products so this is certainly a legitimate excuse for many businesses. We really won't know until after the coronavirus is under control which small businesses will have survived the economic meltdown and which will have disappeared.

Since DES has used AVS Forum to market its products and has many followers here it would be a good business gesture for them to post a message on this forum explaining the current situation and what to expect after the coronavirus is under control and the supply chain returns to functioning normally.
While I agree that coronavirus has disrupted everything, my replacement screen was supposed to ship 2 weeks prior to any of this pandemic. Not a peep out of him and I was going to handle the shipping to ensure it got shipped and I had control of the process to make sure it would actually ship. When I finally got him to respond to me I think Stephen used the corona ordeal as another timely excuse in getting me a replacement screen for the one that was damaged. I have given up on the idea that I will ever see my replacement screen from him. I got a damaged screen, and shorted the $200 bezel kit I paid for last fall as well. I would suggest you do a credit card claim or paypal claim to get your $ back. When I first ordered my screen communication was good until I sent him money and then it was com silence. I had to file a paypal claim and reverse the charges before finally getting any sort of reply from him.
post #23 of 25 Old Today, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 89
This company has been posting scam reviews under newly created accounts for years. Just search the forums and you can see this. It’s kinda obvious it was a fly by night company.

Move on.
post #24 of 25 Old Today, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 4011 Post(s)
Liked: 3178
^ @flyinrazrback , the details in your case certainly don't sound promising for a positive resolution. Please be sure to post an update after the coronavirus pandemic is under control and business has returned to normal for those companies that have survived the economic meltdown.
post #25 of 25 Old Today, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
^ @flyinrazrback , the details in your case certainly don't sound promising for a positive resolution. Please be sure to post an update after the coronavirus pandemic is under control and business has returned to normal for those companies that have survived the economic meltdown.
Yes it is bad. Unfortunately I have no recourse now. When I filed my paypal claim to stop payment last year when I never heard back from Stephen, I immediately heard from him with a promise to ship if I stopped the claim. I did and he finally shipped it a couple weeks later. Since I closed that claim I cannot open another one with PayPal and my credit card would only dispute within 60 days of purchase so I am SOL on this. I even offered Stephen to just refund me half of what I paid for the screen via email last week just to settle and recoup something, and of course no response. Now I am out all that $ plus the $ to buy another screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page