Have you ordered a Jamestown screen recently? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
  • 1 Post By rossandwendy
  • 1 Post By mcallister
  • 1 Post By Steven68
  • 1 Post By mcallister
  • 1 Post By Joberdick
  • 1 Post By rekbones
  • 1 Post By mcallister
  • 1 Post By rossandwendy
  • 1 Post By rossandwendy
  • 1 Post By Chris Carr
  • 1 Post By RadiantHT

post #1 of 17 Old 12-19-2018, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Have you ordered a Jamestown screen recently?

Looking for feedback from anyone who has ordered a screen from Jamestown in the last few months: What was your wait time? Was James late on the project? Once you received the screen, were you satisfied?

The only thread I could find was from a few years ago and at that time James was quoting a couple weeks to ship but actually taking 2 months, and I'm wondering if that is still the current situation for some of you.

Thanks,
Ross
Low Profile likes this.

DISPLAY: Sony 45ES, 175" Silver Ticket screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-02-2019, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Mine took about a month and a half to get. I ordered it a couple of months ago. I also ordered masking panels but just got around today to opening the screen to assemble as I was finishing up my room and the masking panels were not in the box. Jamestown’s website is also now down. Little worried.
rossandwendy likes this.

post #3 of 17 Old 01-02-2019, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I ordered a screen just after Blck Friday. Have not received it yet, called a couple of weeks ago and was told it should be shipping out in the next couple of weeks.

Will try and call again tomorrow and see if I can get an update.
rossandwendy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-03-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven68 View Post
I ordered a screen just after Blck Friday. Have not received it yet, called a couple of weeks ago and was told it should be shipping out in the next couple of weeks.

Curious if you were able to get an update? I’ve been trying to reach James about my missing masking panels and having heard back.
rossandwendy likes this.

post #5 of 17 Old 01-04-2019, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven68 View Post

Curious if you were able to get an update? I’ve been trying to reach James about my missing masking panels and having heard back.
Hi all, I received a call from James's son. I was told James is in the hospital with a serious health situation. All orders are stopped. His son said he was going to try to take over operations, but everything seems up in the air for them right now.
rossandwendy likes this.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-05-2019, 12:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Sounds like they are still using the same lines they did when I bought my screen. Someone was always sick or near death in the family. I bought my screen 5 years ago and heard similar excuses for the delay. I paid with Paypal that gives you 45 days to file a claim so I filed just before my time was up and received my screen shortly their after. I love the screen but unfortunately I wouldn't do business with him again.
rossandwendy likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #7 of 17 Old 01-05-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3844 Post(s)
Liked: 3040
Not an uncommon issue with understaffed mom and pop operations trying to compete with larger, more established companies with greater resources.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-05-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I went ahead and filed a claim to try and protect myself before it’s too late. Can’t get a reply from anyone.
rossandwendy likes this.

post #9 of 17 Old 01-05-2019, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

In an older thread on AVS members noted James was quoting customers 2 weeks for delivery from time of order but was taking more than two months and was not communicating very responsively, and the excuses he gave for running late were someone in the hospital, someone sick, someone died. Now several of us have had that experience again the past few months.

I worked with James on a custom screen with multiple masking panels, paid him $1,087 in advance, and gave him final specs on October 9, and he quoted "2 to 4 weeks" to completion. After many attempts to get a status update and him giving me various family medical related excuses for the delay, finally I was able to get him to commit to a day for pickup after 10 weeks, but when I made the 670-mile roundtrip drive from Ohio to the Dayton TN Walmart where he insisted on meeting, he *did not* have my masking panels - he claimed his brother-in-law made them but said there were 'flaws' in the velvet and he would have to redo them the following day, and he promised to ship them to me at his expense.

Updated 1/16/2019: It's now going on 15 weeks and I still have no masking panels. Claim filed with PayPal.

Ross
mcallister likes this.

Last edited by rossandwendy; 02-14-2019 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Edited for brevity
post #10 of 17 Old 01-08-2019, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

UPDATE on Jamestown Screens current situation

Hey all, I received a text from James Millard's phone saying it was his son Patrick and he was profusely sorry for the delay in delivering my masking panels and for the lack of communication these past two weeks - James is in a hospital recovering from double pneumonia. I called the hospital today to speak with him but was unable to be transferred since he is in CCU. Patrick says he may be there another week or so and I think Patrick is trying to get some late orders shipped out in the meantime but am not sure about that.

Ross
mcallister likes this.

Last edited by rossandwendy; 02-14-2019 at 09:37 AM.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-14-2019, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

For those of you who still have not received your Jamestown order after 2 or 3 months, I recommend you file a claim with PayPal or your credit card company ASAP. I have a feeling this is not going to end well. I have been promised several times that my missing masking panels (which cost more than the screen itself) would be shipped "immediately", and then a week later "this weekend", etc and still nothing. Any company who quotes 2-4 weeks yet still has not delivered after *3 1/2 MONTHS* should at the very least do the honorable and right thing and refund the customer their money, unless and until such time they can actually ship product...

Ross

post #12 of 17 Old 01-24-2019, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Claim filed. Ordered end of December and have received zero contact after 4 weeks after numerous attempts.
rossandwendy likes this.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-26-2019, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Do not place any orders with Jamestown screens. There frames are very low quality. They have zero customer service. And they are always full of excuses when it comes to shipping.
rossandwendy likes this.
post #14 of 17 Old 01-26-2019, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Today PayPal decided in my favor the claim I filed 16 days ago. Glad this whole 3.5 month ordeal is over with. Now I'm starting from scratch and will either buy another Silver Ticket screen on Amazon and make my own masking panels, or possibly bite the bullet and spend the money for the superior Seymour screen and magnetic masking panels.

Wishing everyone luck in getting your Jamestown order resolved in your favor. Keep us posted here.

Ross

Last edited by rossandwendy; 02-01-2019 at 10:41 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 11-09-2019, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post

Wishing everyone luck in getting your Jamestown order resolved in your favor. Keep us posted here.

Ross
For what it is worth, I tried to log onto the Jamestown website today and my virus protection would not let me do it -- got the full 'Danger Will Robinson' warning, I did not override. I've had two of their screens, they were good enough for the price but my next project will be DiY.
post #16 of 17 Old 11-10-2019, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly Fire View Post
For what it is worth, I tried to log onto the Jamestown website today and my virus protection would not let me do it -- got the full 'Danger Will Robinson' warning, I did not override. I've had two of their screens, they were good enough for the price but my next project will be DiY.
James has thrown in the towel and is no longer in business supposedly due to health reasons. I have had my Jamestown screen for several years and have had no issues with it.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #17 of 17 Old 11-11-2019, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
James has thrown in the towel and is no longer in business supposedly due to health reasons. I have had my Jamestown screen for several years and have had no issues with it.
rebones, thanks for that. The screens were fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page