Da-lite High Power 2.8 and 4k - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By bdht
  • 3 Post By joel dickman
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-23-2018, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
ericlhyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Silver Spring, MD USA
Posts: 852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Da-lite High Power 2.8 and 4k

I have a Da-lite High Power 2.8 screen that I have enjoyed with an HD projector. Is this also a good screen for a 4K projector?

ericlhyman
ericlhyman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 12-23-2018, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
bdht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Zoom your image in so the pixels are a quarter of the size they currently are, if pixel structure is still perfectly visible then it's ok for 4k resolution.

For HDR it should be really good though?
markmon1 and noah katz like this.

Last edited by bdht; 12-23-2018 at 05:14 PM.
bdht is online now  
post #3 of 9 Old 12-27-2018, 09:57 AM
Member
 
joel dickman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 81
for HDR, you need all the lumens you can get

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlhyman View Post
I have a Da-lite High Power 2.8 screen that I have enjoyed with an HD projector. Is this also a good screen for a 4K projector?
Hi Eric,

I have an old 2.8 High Power screen that I use with an Epson 5040UB projector in a basement bat cave. I am very happy with the picture I get when playing 4K HDR Blu Ray discs such as The Revenant, Planet Earth II, and Blue Planet II.

The most common complaint projector people have about HDR is getting an unacceptably dim image. A high gain screen like the 2.8 together with a light cannon projector (like many of the Epsons) solves this problem. I notice that sunlight looks far more bright with HDR discs, and this makes outdoor scenes in films more realistic. The overall contrast is boosted in a good way, though the effect varies a lot from one HDR disc to another. With some the effect is dramatic, with others it is very subtle. I have a few discs where I cannot really tell the difference between the 4K HDR version and the standard Blu Ray. For my middle-aged eyes, the 4K resolution enhancement of the Epson and color gamut expansion is just barely noticeable. The contrast improvement is a much bigger deal.

If you can tolerate the narrow high-gain viewing cone - and the mounting quirks - of the Da-Lite screen, it is perfect for watching 4K HDR movies. Hang on to your screen until it is pulled from your cold dead fingers.

If I was a home theater screen manufacturer, I would find a way to produce and sell an updated version of the old Da-Lite High Power screen. My best guess is that it would make money.

Happy viewing,
Joel Dickman

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.
bdht, doctormyeyes and Frank714 like this.

Last edited by joel dickman; 05-07-2019 at 04:43 PM.
joel dickman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 12-27-2018, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 22,901
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2017 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
Zoom your image in so the pixels are a quarter of the size they currently are, if pixel structure is still perfectly visible then it's ok for 4k resolution.

To be clear, 1/4 the area, 1/2 the height and width.

Noah
noah katz is online now  
post #5 of 9 Old 12-28-2018, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 8,359
Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3790 Post(s)
Liked: 3002
I vaguely recall a Da-Lite rep telling someone that when they switched from HP 2.8 to 2.4 that they went with smaller glass beads that would be better suited for smaller pixels. Exactly how much this would affect 4K performance has never been clearly defined. The difference in bead size can be seen in the image below posted by @airscapes with 2.8 on the left and 2.4 on the right:

Dave in Green is online now  
post #6 of 9 Old 12-30-2018, 09:21 AM
Newbie
 
xsynergist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I used a Da-lite screen that came with a fixed frame for several years and continued to use it with my 4k vivitek hk-2288.I do not know what power it was as I purchased it used and it was not marked but there was definitely some gain and you could see sparkles in the bright areas. I have a blacked out media room and while the image I was seeing was very good the black levels in very dark scenes were not satisfying. Thinking the gain was the reason I contacted da-lite and they said the older screens were not ideal for 4K images. They sent me the HD-progressive 1.1 and 0.9 materials to test and I went with the 0.9 material. The image went from very good to spectacular. The sparkles and white area hot spotting disappeared, black levels are much better, color reproduction in HDR is improved and detail is very much improved. Dollar for dollar this is the best money I have spent in my room to improve PQ.

I am projecting 106” 16*9 from 12.5 ft. And the image is very natural in HDR - if you are going larger or have a dimmer projector than I am using brightness in HDR could become a factor.
xsynergist is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 01-03-2019, 09:17 AM
Member
 
doctormyeyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 68
My HP 2.8 works great with HDR.
Everyone who sees it wants one.
doctormyeyes is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 04-22-2019, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Richmond, Texas (Southwesternish burb of Houston)
Posts: 4,653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel dickman View Post
Hi Eric,

I have an old 2.8 High Power screen that I use with an Epson 5040UB projector in a basement bat cave. I am very happy with the picture I get when playing 4K HDR Blu Ray discs such as The Revenant, Planet Earth II, and Blue Planet II.

The most common complaint projector people have about HDR is getting an unacceptably dim image. A high gain screen like the 2.8 together with a light cannon projector (like many of the Epsons) solves this problem. I notice that sunlight looks far more bright with HDR discs, and this makes outdoor scenes in films more realistic. The overall contrast is boosted in a good way, though the effect varies a lot from one HDR disc to another. With some the effect is dramatic, with others it is very subtle. I have a few discs where I cannot really tell the difference between the 4K HDR version and the standard Blu Ray. For my middle-aged eyes, the 4K resolution enhancement of the Epson and color gamut expansion is just barely noticeable. The contrast improvement is a much bigger deal.

If you can tolerate the narrow high-gain viewing cone - and the mounting quirks - of the Da-Lite screen, it is perfect for watching 4K HDR movies. Hang on to your screen until it is pulled from your cold dead fingers. Or at least until it is forcefully removed from the wall in your home.

If I was a home theater screen manufacturer, I would find a way to produce and sell an updated version of the old Da-Lite High Power screen. My best guess is that it would make money.

Happy viewing,
Joel Dickman

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.
I see you picked up my original quote. Does that make me a legend?

Joe -----

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.

 

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

 

Also translated as "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" 

JHouse is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 05-05-2019, 05:54 PM
Member
 
joel dickman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 81
wise words courtesy of Joe House

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHouse View Post
I see you picked up my original quote. Does that make me a legend?
Yes, I poached that line from you. Don't think that quite elevates you to legendary status. But imitation is the sincerest flattery, to poach again from some long-dead French guy.

If you are going to copy, copy the best.

Happy viewing,
Joel Dickman

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes. - Joe House

Last edited by joel dickman; 05-06-2019 at 09:56 AM.
joel dickman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Screens

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off