Ultra Short Throw 4k screen suggestions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 12-30-2018, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Ultra Short Throw 4k screen suggestions

Hello

I have an elite screens Starling tab tensioned cinegray 5d screen. https://elitescreens.com/front/front...ail/product/36

Will this work with the ultra short throw projectors 4k?

I been reading that I need an ambient light reflecting screen for the UST projectors, if so, it would seem my screen is spot on.

Am I correct?

Last edited by kthejoker20; 12-30-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 12-30-2018, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 403

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthejoker20 View Post
Hello

I have an elite screens cinegray 5d screen.

Will this work with the ultra short throw projectors 4k?

I been reading that I need an ambient light reflecting screen for the UST projectors, if so, it would seem my screen is spot on.

Am I correct?

Unfortunately no, your screen is designed to absorb ambient light from the top, bottom and sides while reflecting light coming straight toward your screen from the direction of a standard throw projector.

A UST specific screen works the opposite. Blocking or absorbing light coming from every direction except from underneath. This is accomplished by using either a lenticular or fresnel surface. Here are diagrams of each.

Lenticular screen below. These are expensive, very effective at reducing ambient light, have a wide viewing range and are available in many sizes.

Fresnel screen below. These are even more expensive, are even more effective at reducing ambient light, have a narrow viewing range and are rarely sold in sizes above 100” due to the material being hard and requiring them to be shipped fully assembled.

Personally, I think the best value right now is the ViewSonic Brilliant Color Panel series of lenticular screens. If these are too expensive then a standard screen material will work also as long as the screen is perfectly flat and the ambient light isn’t excessive. An traditional ALR screen like you have now is probably your worst option unfortunately.
bud16415 likes this.

Last edited by bix26; 12-30-2018 at 01:23 PM.
post #3 of 31 Old 02-16-2019, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Controlling light is not an issue. I have a completly black theater room with no ambient light.

Will this screen work in a light controlled room for a UST projector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 02-17-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 2164 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthejoker20 View Post
Controlling light is not an issue. I have a completly black theater room with no ambient light.

Will this screen work in a light controlled room for a UST projector?
It doesn’t matter if you have ambient light or not with a UST projector the screen will react to the projector light as if it was ambient light. All the screen knows is light is light and it rejects light coming to it at steep angles.

Bud
post #5 of 31 Old 04-03-2019, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,
I'm planning to buy Lenticular screen for an ust projector.
Is it any better in a light controlled room than a simple matte white screen? Is there any real life benefit of the alr screen if it's not used for day time viewing?
If not, I'm not sure if I want to spend 5 times more for a screen...
post #6 of 31 Old 04-03-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsly View Post
Hi,
I'm planning to buy Lenticular screen for an ust projector.
Is it any better in a light controlled room than a simple matte white screen? Is there any real life benefit of the alr screen if it's not used for day time viewing?
If not, I'm not sure if I want to spend 5 times more for a screen...
Nope, I have an UST Viewsonic pj with a grey screen for ambient light...that said, I tried it out at night with a white screen and preferred the whiter whites and vibrant colors you'll get with the white screen, but I have kids and we watch a lot of animation, play video games during the day so I had to have something that would cut the ambient light. Only problem is that most UST pjs today have poor blacks (being DLP; no irises) and a grey screen does help with this (at the expense of the other characteristics I mentioned). Also something to think about is that, unless you custom build a shelf above your screen to block light bouncing off it, a UST pj is going to bounce light off your screen onto your white ceiling (I'm assuming) and this washes out the image at the top of the screen pretty severely, so, another point for grey screens retaining a little more contrast than white screens (lenticular's like the Viewsonic BrialliantColor panel blocks almost all of the scattered light to the ceiling at the expense of brightness and at a pretty big price tag). It's up to you, call Carl's and get their standard screen samples packet and view them under the conditions you'll be using most often (but don't use their ALR material as its specifically not designed for UST, I just checked with them-this will be ideal if it ever comes to market-ALR/UST reasonably priced)
post #7 of 31 Old 04-03-2019, 08:26 AM

Thank you for the answer! I'm from Europe, so I don't really have the chance to order sample.
And yes, I do have white ceiling.
Based on your answer, I think matte white could be the winner, however:
-lenticular screen would help to eliminate pj's reflected light
-black level would be better with lenticular screen even without ambient light
-the outlook of the screen itself looks better than a simple matte white one (in my point of view)
I know it is a personal decision, but it is not quite easy. I lean toward the lenticular screen, for example it can be bought in 110" just above 1000usd, but matte white seems to be a better cost/performance ratio.
post #8 of 31 Old 04-08-2019, 02:05 AM

Just one more observation, question:
Is it possible that with matte white screen the middle of the screen is brighter, and sides are more dim? Is it any different with lenticular screen?
post #9 of 31 Old 04-08-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 3034
Quote:
Just one more observation, question:
Is it possible that with matte white screen the middle of the screen is brighter, and sides are more dim? Is it any different with lenticular screen?
Technically that's known as brightness uniformity. It's a measurement included in all of the projector reviews on projectorcentral.com. Front projection screens tend to provide better brightness uniformity than rear projection screens. Even with a standard throw projector on a plain white screen it's common for most projectors to have brightness uniformity in the 70%-80% range. That means the corners of the image are only 70%-80% as bright as the center. While noticeable on a solid color screen it's usually not noticed when viewing regular content.

Due to their special lens systems UST projectors tend to have at least slightly worse brightness uniformity than standard throw models. But it's not a major issue for most people when viewing most content. If you're the kind of person who looks for the slightest image irregularities and can't unsee any issues once you've seen them lower brightness uniformity could cause a problem.
post #10 of 31 Old 04-08-2019, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 119
post #11 of 31 Old 04-08-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post

I’d second this, I’ve done countless hours of research on this. While I haven’t seen either in person, The ViewSonic (rebranded DNP) has much better build quality than the Elite Screen competitor. The ES uses Velcro for the tensioning system, the boarder is just double sided felt tape and it costs considerably more. I don’t normally bash products, especially ones I haven’t used. However, I almost feel obligated to speak up when I might prevent someone from spending close to two grand on a imho poorly designed product. The ViewSonic would be my first choice.

Last edited by bix26; 04-10-2019 at 10:35 AM.
post #12 of 31 Old 04-09-2019, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 3034
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post
Just be sure to carefully read and understand the small print:

Quote:
This item is noncancelable and nonreturnable.
post #13 of 31 Old 04-09-2019, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Just be sure to carefully read and understand the small print:

Amazon has them intermittently. Just be careful to be sure that It sells “sold by Amazon” at check out. Also Projector Super Store has them now for a good price. I don’t know much about Projector Super Store or their return policy.
Dave in Green and LondonBenji like this.
post #14 of 31 Old 04-09-2019, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
Amazon has them intermittently. Just be careful to be sure that It sells “sold by Amazon” at check out. Also Projector Super Store has them now for a good price. I don’t know much about Projector Super Store or their return policy.
Yep I looked just now and couldn't see one "shipped and sold by Amazon", thought I was going crazy as I swear I've seen it before.

Just keep in mind while you can probably return it (unlike B&H Photo) you will likely get charged tax (unlike B&H Photo, unless you're in NJ or NY or something).
post #15 of 31 Old 04-10-2019, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
I’d second this, I’ve done countless ours of research on this. While I haven’t seen either in person, The ViewSonic (rebranded DNP) has much better build quality than the Elite Screen competitor. The ES uses Velcro for the tensioning system, the boarder is just double sided felt tape and it costs considerably more. I don’t normally bash products, especially ones I haven’t used. However, I almost feel obligated to speak up when I might prevent someone from spending close to two grand on a imho poorly designed product. The ViewSonic would be my first choice.
I have the Elite CLR. The border is plastic strips about an inch wide that adhere with double sided tape. I left the border off of mine to and throw the image the full size of the screen. The velcro tensioning system is robust as well and I have no doubt it will hold up. The metal frame looks very similar in build quality to the ViewSonic.

I personally wouldn't call the Elite CLR a "poorly designed product"

When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars.
post #16 of 31 Old 04-10-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageek2 View Post
I have the Elite CLR. The border is plastic strips about an inch wide that adhere with double sided tape. I left the border off of mine to and throw the image the full size of the screen. The velcro tensioning system is robust as well and I have no doubt it will hold up. The metal frame looks very similar in build quality to the ViewSonic.

I personally wouldn't call the Elite CLR a "poorly designed product"

Sorry, I really don’t like too dump on products. I’m glad yours is holding up well. I had a member message me warning me that his border was peeling off due to the double sided tape. He also mentioned that he had to re-Velcro the screen material over time and that the middle of the screen had a slight kink where the top of the screen joins together (his support beam wouldn’t fit). Maybe he did a poor job of assembling idk. He also mentioned that he lives in a really humid environment, so this might not be an issue for most. I, personally would rather spend my money on a more tried and true design. Tension springs, screw down boarder, and a four piece frame (vs six piece) are all advantages the ViewSonic/DNP screen has over the ES option. Then when you consider it costs less, I just can’t think of any reason not to choose the ViewSonic/DNP.
post #17 of 31 Old 04-11-2019, 02:42 AM

And what about Chinese manufacturers like xy screen and azure image? They too have lenticular screen for UST projectors.
post #18 of 31 Old 04-11-2019, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And what about Chinese manufacturers like xy screen and azure image? They too have lenticular screen for UST projectors.

There’s been some good feedback from forum members regarding XY Screens, I do remember one person mention the material seemed delicate. They’re about the same price as the ViewSonic. You used to have to order direct and pay heavy import duties. I found a US company based out of Arizona that sells them. Can’t vouch for their reputation, but they seem like a legitimate business. The company is called UST Screens.
post #19 of 31 Old 05-06-2019, 08:13 AM

I have decided to order from Azure image, since the screen was slightly cheaper, and the shipping was much cheaper than what xy screens offered. The quality of the screen is excellent.
post #20 of 31 Old 05-06-2019, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
I have decided to order from Azure image, since the screen was slightly cheaper, and the shipping was much cheaper than what xy screens offered. The quality of the screen is excellent.
I'm in the same boat as you. Set us know how it works with UST projectors.
post #21 of 31 Old 05-07-2019, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsendoh View Post
I have bought a CLR screen for UST projector from them.
It works as it should, I have attached a picture, where my ceiling light is on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1802.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	848.3 KB
ID:	2563516  
post #22 of 31 Old 05-07-2019, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Nice! how much did that run you?
post #23 of 31 Old 05-08-2019, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Nice! how much did that run you?
It was 1000usd with shipping. (+vat/tax)
post #24 of 31 Old 05-14-2019, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I've been searching for a UST ALR screen myself for my to-be-delivered-by-end-of July Indiegogo Vava 4K UST project.

USTScreens.com wants $1600 for their PET Crystal 120" screen. They're in Tempe, AZ. I'm also in AZ and I've left them voicemails for several days now but they never return my call. They never pick up their phone, it just tells you to call another number (someone's cell phone maybe?) and they never returned my voicemails so far. I'm not sure if they're still really in business or not because they're not answering my voicemails.

I contacted August Liu of XY Screens from China and he's very responsive. He quoted my $1250 with shipping fee included and 1 week delivery for their 120" PET Crystal screen.

I contacted Snowhite Screens (also from China) and got a quote from Kathy Xiang for $730 shipping NOT included yet for a 120" UST ALR screen. The shipping weight is 22kg (almost 50 lbs). I haven't gotten confirmation from her yet whether this is using the PET Crystal material or not. I gave her my USA address and I'm waiting for a quote with shipping included. Kathy seems to be not as quickly responsive as August, but she did text me a couple of times now. They're selling through Alibaba so I had to get an Alibaba account to exchanges messages with her.

I found some posts about a year ago of some forum members here who bought from Snowhite screens and were happy with their product. Somebody mentioned that they like it better than the XY screen. But I don't know whether they actually had both the XY and the Snowhite screens side by side for comparison or something.

I saw some YouTube videos of the Screen Innovation ST screen that's also lenticular (they call it blinder type?). I don't know their price exactly but I think it's a lot more than the $1600 quoted by USTScreens.com.

The ViewSonic BCP120 120-Inch Home Theater Screen for Ultra Short Throw Projectors is being listed on Amazon right now for $1600.

I'm glad I found this thread and I'll investigate the Azure route. However, at $1K for the 120" (somebody here mentioned that), it seems higher than the Snowhite price, assuming that the shipping cost won't push it up to the $1K range.

I asked August Liu of XY Screens what he thinks of the Snowhite 120" screen price, and he said that he can't comment on their screen performance because he never tested it. However, he mentioned that the XY screen hardware is a lot more heavy and sturdier than the Snowhite hardware, so that's why he thinks the XY screen has a better frame, and that pushes the shipping cost higher due to a heavier package. Not sure how he knows about the hardware difference, but can't comment about the screen difference.

I asked Vava for an ALR screen recommendation and they said that they're looking at offering an ALR screen just for UST projectors. They said that they're had a lot of good results using an Elite Screens CineGrey in their office. They told me that they think it's safe to say that I can use practically any ALR screen, the lower the cost, the better. They said that they've been able to project their Vava 4k UST projector onto walls, white screens, and whiteboards with no problem. Hmmm, then why are they recommending that we use an ALR screen. Then they go on to say that an ALR screen will do. I'm a little suspicious of their knowledge of what the best ALR screen is. However, they speak from experience specific to their Vava projector, which I'm getting, so I guess I should really wait and see how it looks just projecting onto my white wall first before getting too far ahead of buying an ALR lenticular screen.
BaliSurferDude likes this.

Last edited by Volusiano; 05-14-2019 at 08:49 PM.
post #25 of 31 Old 05-16-2019, 10:23 AM

Import tariff

A question for folks who bought their screens from China: what is the custom fee you had to pay when the package was delivered to you?

XY screens is telling me that their customers told them it's been around 6%. I wonder with the recent Trump import tariff increase for Chinese goods, whether this has gone up? Is there some link where I can go find out the official rate myself?
post #26 of 31 Old 06-08-2019, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone found a 150 inch lenticular screen available from any seller?
post #27 of 31 Old 07-01-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdjelar View Post
Unfortunately I couldn't find any 150" option anywhere. But come to think of it, there's probably not enough room on my wall to accommodate a 150" screen anyway. I think the 120" is a also good medium because being a little smaller means that I'll probably be able to get more brightness compared to going with a 150".

I pulled the trigger and bought the 120" PET Crystal ALR screen from XY Screen. Assembling it was easy and the frame quality seems very nice and sturdy. It was very well and carefully packaged. Assembly instruction can be better, but it was easy enough to figure it out myself. They offer plenty of tension springs of 2 different strengths so you can mix and match as necessary to get the most optimal stretch on the screen. It also includes the hanging hardware, which seems very well designed.

Now it's all ready, waiting for my Vava UST shipment to arrive by end of July so I can try it out.

Shipping was FedEx and only took 5 days to arrive to my US address from China. There was no custom fee/tariff like I was afraid there'd be.

The XY Screen manager, August Liu, was very professional and super responsive and patient in answering my questions. Below is the contact info in case anyone is interested.

XYScreen sales manager : August Liu
Email: [email protected]
[email protected]
Whatsapp/Mobile/Wechat/Skype:+86 18826401386

Last edited by Volusiano; 07-01-2019 at 01:07 AM.
post #28 of 31 Old 07-01-2019, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdjelar View Post
How much are u willing to pay?

100" - ¥6000
120" - ¥10999
150" - ¥39999

The price jump is huge when u go bigger than 100"

Blocks 90% of the light
0.5 gain
180° viewing angle
post #29 of 31 Old 11-01-2019, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Quote:
Tsly, i have a bunch of questions: how good is the azure pet crystal material in ambient light? How has it held up since you've had it? Having second thoughts since getting it? what kind of UST PJ are you using with that Azure pet crystal screen? Is it 120" or 100" in the picture?

Im definitely set on the pet crystal material because of the price and video samples found on youtube showing ambient light while using a UST laser projector, just trying to decide which company at this point.
post #30 of 31 Old 11-08-2019, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all, I own the Fengmi 4K cinema and looking for a 120 inch Pet Crystal screen.

At the moment I have 2 offers:

Azure USD$800
XY screens USD$1100

Both are including shipping to Sydney Australia.

Is it worth going for XY which is $300 more expensive or any other brands I should look at?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited by smuller; 11-08-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page