Originally Posted by DigitalAV
Truly awesome theater! Is that your front row? What distances are the other two rows?
has one of the finest CIH theaters on the forum and one many of us would aspire to have I ran thru his numbers with the information he has provided as an example of what multi row seating at home would compare to commercial theater seating in terms of immersion. Art has just about as large of a screen as any at home measuring 17.3’ diagonal or 109 sq ft. Where my scope image size 104” diagonal is 27 sq ft or roughly one quarter the screen area. We share somewhat similar levels of immersion though between my one row and his front row with different seating distances.
Art’s screen would be 82x192 scope (208”) and 82x151 flat (172”) with his rows viewing distances 136, 214, 292.
Using the method of immersion I like as a ratio of screen height to seating distance you get 1.66SH, 2.61SH, 3.56SH.
Converting to angles based around scope width of Art’s theater. 70.5, 48.5, 36.4 degrees.
Art’s front row as he stated is similar to mid row in IMAX or the front 1/3 in a conventional theater, quite immersive. His middle row would be like the back 1/3 at IMAX and the middle of a conventional theater. His back row would likely be not IMAX immersion at all and the back 1/3 of a conventional theater.
IMO and no news to Art his theater seating is beautifully spaced and about as good as could be done, and perfect for showing 15 people a movie.
Now if I were to work thru the same method for my screen size or even a little larger say 120” for not 3 rows but only 2 rows the results would be much different given the same comfortable 6’ between rows in terms of immersion. One solution I used in my first theater that worked was to make the front row the money seats and the second row more upright conventional theater seats allowing the distance between rows to be compressed to about 3’. The second row was thought of as overflow seating actually. I had 4 seats in the first row and that covered 95% of the need. With say 5 seats in the second row upright and not as wide would more than cover the other 5% need.
With the new house I had even less floor space and knew we would never exceed 5 people in a showing running the theater long wise we could have done first row 3 and second row 3 and would have to limit the screen size way down or go AT and that would have cut into the length of the room. Then there is the problem when you have 2 couples who gets left out of the party and sits a row back. With a desire for something like “true” IMAX as the new up coming max screen size format and not feeling like building a tall riser in a small room one row seemed more logical. With the potential now for IMAX immersion it seemed to make some content for some people overly immersive. That is solved with varying image size with zoom.
The point is the larger the screen the more options you have. Many people see these fairly large home theaters and desire the same only scaling it down. It works depending on how important immersion is to you. 99% of the homes have TVs now 50-60” and seating distance is 10-12’ and they are happy enough, so immersion isn’t everything.