Seymour Matinee Wide - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #31 of 42 Old 01-31-2020, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I had GG and MW samples, and concur. GG looks washed out, both with lights out and on. MW much better with minimal sparkle. I don't plan to watch anything with lights off, so MW main benefit to me would be that in my light controlled, but not quite bat-cave room, it would not reflect much light in the room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 02-04-2020, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I got some more time last night and also for SI Slate samples in. Honestly I'm pretty impressed with how good my Silver Ticket is. I was expecting more of a difference based on how cheap it was ($400 for 110 inches).

The Slate samples are clearly the best. The 0.8 has almost as good of a contrast as the Matinee Black but with fewer sparkles and a better viewing angle. The 1.2 has similar black levels as my Silver ticket but the whites and colors pop much more.

The matinee black still has the best ALR performance but the sparkling is most definitely way too much, by far the worst of the four samples. The matinee wide really doesn't perform any better than my current screen. The blacks are even a little bit lighter but the whites might also be a tiny bit brighter.

The Slate samples really are good, but the screens are awful expensive. Wish someone made something as dark as the slate 0.8 with less gain than Matinee Black for less money. The matinee wide is just too lightly colored for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20200203_193316_1580818853433.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	8.02 MB
ID:	2680094   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200203_192325_1580818873278.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	4.32 MB
ID:	2680096   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200203_192343_1580818885660.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	4.46 MB
ID:	2680098   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20200203_192402_1580818899168.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	2680100   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20200203_191643_1580818931384.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	6.51 MB
ID:	2680102  

post #33 of 42 Old 02-04-2020, 05:25 AM

I can't edit my post (not enough forum posts?) But the above pics the Seymour samples are the bottom two and the SI Slate samples the top two
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 Old 02-05-2020, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic7 View Post
I can't edit my post (not enough forum posts?) But the above pics the Seymour samples are the bottom two and the SI Slate samples the top two
I am currently traveling. I will post some photos of the Matinee Wide vs a white screen.
Cla55clown likes this.
post #35 of 42 Old 02-08-2020, 05:07 AM

White 1.1 vs Matinee Wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrebello View Post
I am currently traveling. I will post some photos of the Matinee Wide vs a white screen.
Photos added with lights on, lights off, against a Elite FG White 1.1 gain sample. Matinee Wide performs well. It has a very wide viewing angle, good ALR, and good picture purity. It is a good balance screen. Keep in mind that Seymour also offers the awesome, inexpensive, magnet conversion kit to go from 16:9 to wide screen. I use it all the time. It is in the photos. Also, I have light control but a very light colored room. The ALR is good with my JVC.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	32B65D56-DC18-4101-AD6F-9241082BD380.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	2682100   Click image for larger version

Name:	66EBFDF0-2255-4828-A854-6301300EF3D5.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	2682102   Click image for larger version

Name:	5A5C6374-A29C-4C8A-BF17-F4C4029A81F0.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	2682104   Click image for larger version

Name:	D2BB83F8-F1C7-466B-B113-46AE5CB6D50C.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	2682106   Click image for larger version

Name:	2F6760FA-BC3F-480E-BE22-020705E0D306.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	2682108  

Name:	C3F75655-D5B2-4F3E-AFE0-512F0FA233F3.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	2682110  
post #36 of 42 Old 02-08-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Photos added with lights on, lights off, against a Elite FG White 1.1 gain sample. Matinee Wide performs well. It has a very wide viewing angle, good ALR, and good picture purity. It is a good balance screen. Keep in mind that Seymour also offers the awesome, inexpensive, magnet conversion kit to go from 16:9 to wide screen. I use it all the time. It is in the photos. Also, I have light control but a very light colored room. The ALR is good with my JVC.
Thanks, I got the same feeling from my sample compared to my Silver Ticket screen. Especially the lack of artifacting compared to my screen was the really big one. One thing to note, the material is pretty lightly colored compared to Matinee Black, which Seymour doesn't make totally clear and the 0.8 gain misleads about. This material would be great in low lighting or mild ambient light, but because it's lightly colored cannot fight very aggressively, but I don't think that's what Seymour was going for in any case.
post #37 of 42 Old 02-08-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I got the same feeling from my sample compared to my Silver Ticket screen. Especially the lack of artifacting compared to my screen was the really big one. One thing to note, the material is pretty lightly colored compared to Matinee Black, which Seymour doesn't make totally clear and the 0.8 gain misleads about. This material would be great in low lighting or mild ambient light, but because it's lightly colored cannot fight very aggressively, but I don't think that's what Seymour was going for in any case.
Yes. The screen is lighter in color than the Matinee Black. The viewing angle is basically equivalent to the Elite white screen which is great but will affect the ALR properties. I think it is more in the range of the dnp or parallax screens for a much better price. As for the gain, it looks to be a little better than spec’d. It is a great screen for a light colored room with good lighting control. Again, I bought the black out panels for wide scope 2.4 to 1 ratio. It really changes the performance Of the picture. in eliminating the black bars. The are magnets and easily pop in and out.

Wide Viewing Angle
About unity Gain with good ALR
Low artifacts
Excellent frame system

Enjoy.
post #38 of 42 Old 02-12-2020, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Got my samples and have done some testing

Crossed off my list
Glacier grey - for me is a waste of time might as well stick with my Carada brilliant white screen.
Matinee Black - good ALR but narrow viewing, texture/sparkles visible, narrow viewing.

Silver screens
Matinee Silver and Ambient-Visionaire Silver 1.3
Closest thing to my white screen with ALR these screens are interesting as they come close in most regards to a white screen although I can see some visible texture/sparkles. Wide viewing angle suits my setup. Brightness really good and when lights off disappears against my white screen. I am not sure if the texture will be a problem but it drove me crazy on my friends black diamond 1.4 I could not live with that screen like looking at an oil slick. Whites are brighter than a white screen and the gain is higher than my current screen.

I will put these on my short list.

Grey Screens
Matinee Wide .8 gain, DaLites Parallax 0.8, Severtson ALR (looks the same material as the parallax)

I would put all of these in a similar ball park wide viewing angles, less bright, whites not pure white. Brightness of the projector is important with these so expect to run in higher bulb levels.
The position of the projector is important with the Parallax relative to the screen this may not work for me.

Some sparkle elements could be seen up close with the Matinee Wide but disappeared in a short distance parallax did not have this at all. These elements were very mild up close compared to the other matinee screens.
Parallax 0.8 and Severtson screen material seemed very scratch resistant and the Matinee silver screen was relatively easily to damaged the surface.

I think I will test the brightness with Calman and see how the samples compare against my white screen.

Since my projector is calibrated to the Carada white screen some of its short comings may be seen on the test samples the only way to really see what they truly look like would be to calibrate to each sample.

Last edited by sandyj; 02-12-2020 at 03:12 AM.
post #39 of 42 Old 02-13-2020, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyj View Post
Got my samples and have done some testing

Crossed off my list
Glacier grey - for me is a waste of time might as well stick with my Carada brilliant white screen.
Matinee Black - good ALR but narrow viewing, texture/sparkles visible, narrow viewing.

Silver screens
Matinee Silver and Ambient-Visionaire Silver 1.3
Closest thing to my white screen with ALR these screens are interesting as they come close in most regards to a white screen although I can see some visible texture/sparkles. Wide viewing angle suits my setup. Brightness really good and when lights off disappears against my white screen. I am not sure if the texture will be a problem but it drove me crazy on my friends black diamond 1.4 I could not live with that screen like looking at an oil slick. Whites are brighter than a white screen and the gain is higher than my current screen.

Grey Screens
Matinee Wide .8 gain, DaLites Parallax 0.8, Severtson ALR (looks the same material as the parallax)

I would put all of these in a similar ball park wide viewing angles, less bright, whites not pure white. Brightness of the projector is important with these so expect to run in higher bulb levels.
The position of the projector is important with the Parallax relative to the screen this may not work for me.

Some sparkle elements could be seen up close with the Matinee Wide but disappeared in a short distance parallax did not have this at all. These elements were very mild up close compared to the other matinee screens.
Parallax 0.8 and Severtson screen material seemed very scratch resistant and the Matinee silver screen was relatively easily to damaged the surface.

I think I will test the brightness with Calman and see how the samples compare against my white screen.

Since my projector is calibrated to the Carada white screen some of its short comings may be seen on the test samples the only way to really see what they truly look like would be to calibrate to each sample.
How does the ALR properties compare between the Parallax and Matinee Wide?
post #40 of 42 Old 02-13-2020, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
How does the ALR properties compare between the Parallax and Matinee Wide?

They are virtually the same when viewed directly in front my lighting is from the sides if you have overhead lights the parallax may have the advantage as it is designed more for that situation. The downside of the parallax is the projector needs to be lower than the Matinee wide for the best results to maintain brightness. I am going to do some tests on this latter current temporary position of my projector is just above head height.

Brightness of the two is about the same when put side by side and viewed directly in front. I think the parallax might be slightly sharper but my sample is fairly small 30x30cm vs the MW 600x600cm. I have not checked the viewing angles completely yet both seem good I suspect the parallax has a wider viewing cone.

I have 2x throw distance my room is 7 meters long x 5meters wide, final position of projector will be ceiling mount the room is fully light controlled.
My preference would be 1st Parallax then Matinee Wide but they not poles apart.

Best ALR - (Dark grey material) narrow viewing cones and the most side affects.
Ambient-Visionaire Black 1.2
Matinee Black 1.4

Medium ALR (mid grey material) wide viewing cone
DaLites Parallax 0.8
Severtson ALR

Low ALR (silver material) wide viewing cone
Matinee Silver 2.0 - can hot spot
Ambient-Visionaire Silver 1.3

Very low ALR - stick with white screen the benefits just are not there.
Straight Grey only screens
post #41 of 42 Old Today, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I got my samples in the mail. Here are some sample pictures I could get in a hurry.

The background screen is a Silver Ticket High Contrast @110" and 1.6x throw. PJ is Epson 3000 in Living Room mode. I am not positive this screen has ALR properties or not, but it does have a small amount of shimmer in high brightness.

From left to right are Glacier Grey, Matinee Wide, Matinee Black. I took pitcures at full light, dim light, and off. Other than can lights I have very poor light control

As expected Matinee Black has the most shimmer and worst viewing angle but also looks best with all the lights on.

To my eye the GG has unacceptable washout. The MB is best in full light but the viewing angle and shimmer might be too much at my throw, especially since I am about to shorten it a little bit. The MW seems to not have much angular falloff or darkening, very little shimmer. It also looks a lot like my (cheaper) Silver Ticket screen.

I will need to do more extensive viewing in the new shorter throw location, and with windows open, and try to discern how much hot-spotting each has.
This is a great comparison- thank you. The black level performance of the Silver Ticket High Contrast really appears to be as good as the Matinee Wide based on those pictures- especially given the price. It looks like the ST pushes a bit blue, maybe?

Great thread- thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screens.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	2690498  
post #42 of 42 Old Today, 11:13 AM

I've looked at these a lot recently. The ST HC has a very similar, slightly wider view cone than the Matinee Wide. It's definitely ALR despite ST publishing it as lambertian. It also has lower gain than advertised I think. It's advertises as higher than the Matinee Wide but in reality is lower. The ST HC also has more visible texture but it's not crazy bad.

Overall they are very similar materials, the Matinee Wide is absolutely better in terms of image quality, but it's also 2x the price at my screen size.

Matinee Black will clearly only work at crazy long throw due to hot spot, and clearly also long view distance due to massive screen texture and sparkle.

I'm currently choosing between the two materials for my 92" replacement screen as well as matte grey options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page