• 2 Post By bdht
  • 2 Post By rrebello

post #1 of 17 Old 03-17-2019, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seymour Matinee Wide

Has anyone has tried the Seymour Matinee Wide material out yet?

I’m leaning towards the Matinee Black but I’m intrigued by the Matinee Wide. We have a sectional that will be about the width of the screen and I worry about those sitting off-center if I go with the MB.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-18-2019, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I was thinking about this one as well have seen the Ambient-Visionaire 1.2 and 1.3 but found they had too much texture still looking for the right one if its out there. Other than the texture really liked the effect the 1.2 has with some light in the room might have to get a samples of the Seymour Matinee Wide to see how it looks.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-18-2019, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'd be interested in impressions of this material too. I like the Seymour screens and it'll either be something like this, or their XD material.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-19-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Anyone try one of these yet?
post #5 of 17 Old 08-19-2019, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee123 View Post
Anyone try one of these yet?
Ive got samples of the matinee black and matinee wide materials.

They're pretty much as described.
The matinee black is darker and brighter(higher gain), with sharp viewing angles and more sparkle.
The matinee wide is less dark, less bright, with better viewing angles, and less sparkle.

Similar materials to consider:
XY Screens Black Crystal. Similar shade of grey as the matinee black, less gain than the matinee wide, similar sparkle to the matinee wide, better viewing angle than the matinee wide.

Screen Innovations Slate 0.8. Similar shade of grey as the matinee black, less gain than the matinee wide, less sparkle to the matinee wide, viewing angle like the matinee black.

DaLites Parallax 0.8. Similar shade of grey to the Matinee Black, similar brightness to the matinee wide, no sparkle(artifact free), good horizontal viewing angle, poor vertical viewing angle(rejects light from above it).
howiee likes this.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-20-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
Ive got samples of the matinee black and matinee wide materials.

They're pretty much as described.
The matinee black is darker and brighter(higher gain), with sharp viewing angles and more sparkle.
The matinee wide is less dark, less bright, with better viewing angles, and less sparkle.

Similar materials to consider:
XY Screens Black Crystal. Similar shade of grey as the matinee black, less gain than the matinee wide, similar sparkle to the matinee wide, better viewing angle than the matinee wide.

Screen Innovations Slate 0.8. Similar shade of grey as the matinee black, less gain than the matinee wide, less sparkle to the matinee wide, viewing angle like the matinee black.

DaLites Parallax 0.8. Similar shade of grey to the Matinee Black, similar brightness to the matinee wide, no sparkle(artifact free), good horizontal viewing angle, poor vertical viewing angle(rejects light from above it).

Thanks for the information. Did you decide which screen you will be buying?

post #7 of 17 Old 08-20-2019, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Did you decide which screen you will be buying?
I've had the xy black crystal retractable for about 8 months now. I just recently received the seymour samples and learned they're working on a retractable matinee wide.

The different materials suite different needs but I'm impressed with the xy black crystal especially for the price. Its a great choice when you have a reflective room that cant hit black on a white screen, as well as needing good viewing angles. Texture artifacts are typical and not distracting but they do make you long for an artifact free screen(the Parallax).

Later down the road Ill probably upgrade to the Parallax but Im going to have to rework my screen position(and furniture below the screen) to lower the screen otherwise the vertical viewing angle is too steep.
howiee and Buddylee123 like this.
post #8 of 17 Old 08-21-2019, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've had the xy black crystal retractable for about 8 months now. I just recently received the seymour samples and learned they're working on a retractable matinee wide.

The different materials suite different needs but I'm impressed with the xy black crystal especially for the price. Its a great choice when you have a reflective room that cant hit black on a white screen, as well as needing good viewing angles. Texture artifacts are typical and not distracting but they do make you long for an artifact free screen(the Parallax).

Later down the road Ill probably upgrade to the Parallax but Im going to have to rework my screen position(and furniture below the screen) to lower the screen otherwise the vertical viewing angle is too steep.
Thanks again, I have never used an ALR screen and my current screen is a Seymour UF which I really like. It's possible that I may be moving in the near future which would require me switching to an ALR screen and I'm not sure I can deal with sparkles.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-21-2019, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm not sure I can deal with sparkles.
How far away do you sit and what's your screen size?
post #10 of 17 Old 08-21-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Seymour Matinee Wide

Quote:
How far away do you sit and what's your screen size?
Right now I'm in a dedicated room with no windows so the UF is fine, but we are looking at a new house that would require the projector to be in the living room so an ALR screen would be needed. I'm not even sure that we will buy the new house, but if we do I will send you a message or reply here before I make any new screen purchases.

Last edited by Buddylee123; 08-21-2019 at 10:10 AM.
post #11 of 17 Old 08-21-2019, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Gotcha, the sparkle artifacts arent too bad on the cheaper screens and theres none on the parallax. Simply put, to fight more light and use a darker material there needs to be more gain and that makes sparkle, the more gain the more artifacting. The further you sit the less noticeable it is. I sit about 9-10' and sparkle with the black crystal isnt overly distracting but its not super smooth like the parallax, and a bit of sparkles way better than white blacks or a washed out image.

While I cant speak to 4k detail yet, I have a w1070, and the image is still very sharp and detailed, no less than my white screen(elune visions reference 100el, a matte white pvc material similar to elites cinewhite, silver ticket, draper etc.) and only a bit more sparkle in bright areas and solid colors. The Black Crystal and Matinee Wide have less sparkle than the Matinee Black, elite cinegrey 5d, screen innovations black diamond, etc. I.e. dark greys with 1.3+ gain.

Of course the black crystal and matinee wide dont fight light like the screens with higher gain too, so the image will still wash in direct light and blacks will raise in a reflective room, but still, nowhere near as bad as a white screen.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-21-2019, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

this is a good reference if you havent read it.
https://www.projectorcentral.com/amb...-screens-2.htm
post #13 of 17 Old 08-21-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
this is a good reference if you havent read it.
https://www.projectorcentral.com/amb...-screens-2.htm
That's a great article, thank you!
post #14 of 17 Old 10-08-2019, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Am I interpreting correctly that Seymour Matinee Wide has less sparkle than SI Slate 0.8? I couldn't stand sparkle from Slate at a short throw when viewed at my dealer. The small Matinee Wide sample at home looks good, with no sparkle at 12" seating distance. But than again, it's a small sample.
post #15 of 17 Old 10-08-2019, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsBuddy View Post
Am I interpreting correctly that Seymour Matinee Wide has less sparkle than SI Slate 0.8? I couldn't stand sparkle from Slate at a short throw when viewed at my dealer. The small Matinee Wide sample at home looks good, with no sparkle at 12" seating distance. But than again, it's a small sample.
Yes. If you put the sample at the middle point between your eyes and the lens that should be the area most prone to visible artifacts, and at that the sample should be adequate for determining if the sparkle is distracting or not.
post #16 of 17 Old 10-12-2019, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Yes. If you put the sample at the middle point between your eyes and the lens that should be the area most prone to visible artifacts, and at that the sample should be adequate for determining if the sparkle is distracting or not.
I have a light controlled room but with light walls, white ceiling, and a light carpet. It has black out curtains on all the windows for movie watching. The room is multi-use with a bar, etc. I was trying to add more contrast for the reflected light in the room from the projector. With the lights off, it is a bat cave. With the projector on, I have reflected light.

I purchased the Matinee Black and Matinee Wide for my JVC RS500. My projector is 20 ft back with a 103" screen. I sit 13 feet from the screen. The Matinee Black moved everything to OLED like black levels in my room (I have an OLED). Black levels and contrast were amazing with this screen for the reflected light. With HDR, it really stood out. The contrast and color pop was incredible. For a dark movie (space, low light levels), it was breathtaking. For general TV watching, you get that amped up ALR look with the 1.4 gain. Personally, I did not like the amped up 1.4 gain when you had bright sections on the screen or general TV watching. It added that grain or oily look. It did not bother my son-in-law who thought it was amazing. With the lights on, this was much less noticeable as the ALR screen was doing what it was designed to do. So, you need to pick correctly for your situation and tolerance to this amped up gain.

So, I purchased the Mantinee Wide, it was a much better balance for me. The picture is very clean with a boost in contrast. HDR is still a big improvement. It cannot match the black levels of the Matinee Black but is is a nice balance between a cleaner picture and improved contrast. I really like the balance in the dark movie and the tv watching. I just watched John Wick 1, 2, and 3 in 4K HDR and it was great! Video quality stands out in this series.
bdht and chriscmore like this.
post #17 of 17 Old 11-26-2019, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just curious if the Matinee Wide retractable is available now? I ended up buying a Matinee Black fixed frame and was super impressed with Seymour’s quality - everything fit perfectly and was easy to install! The screen looked wonderful. I picked up a JVC NX5 from Seymour as well. I would like to buy from Seymour again if the Matinee Wide retractable is available, given my previous experience with them.

I sold my house and moved to a condo downtown and am now looking for a motorized retractable option - to drop in front of a fireplace. My building has insane rules about wall mounted speakers and ceiling mounted projectors, so I’m putting the projector 4’ off the ground on an AV cabinet and putting the LCR bookshelf speakers below the screen. Something around 100-105” ideally with a couple feet of extra drop so I can hang a painting on the wall. The SI Solo Pro 2 is appealing but I would prefer to go with Seymour again, if possible - since they have proven to be awesome and offer excellent performance and value.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page