Screen selection help appreciated - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-18-2019, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Screen selection help appreciated

Here is all the relevant info:
This will be in a large basement room, walls are light grey but far enough away that they probably won't cause too many issues. Ceiling however is white. Floor is wood but mostly covered with light colored rug. Epson 5050UB Projector will be ceiling mounted about 12' away from a 120" screen. The room can get very dark in the evening, pretty much black, so the only issue will be reflecting light from a light ceiling and floor.
For now I wont be doing any ceiling treatments to darken it, but eventually I would like to add some dark panels or something above the screen, something like a star panel perhaps. Might be a few years before I can do that however.

Based on all my reading (and wanting to save some cash), I am thinking of getting a DIY screen, and am looking at Carl's ALR and grey screens. It seems like, with my ceiling the way it is, I won't be able to go with white. But I could be wrong.

Am I on the right track? I am not certain really certain when I should choose ALR over the regular grey, and im not 100% certain I cannot use white.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-19-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked: 980
ALR works when the ambient light, (in your case projected light bouncing off the ceiling) comes back to the screen and washes out the image and reduces contrast in the image. An ALR screen works in two ways. First is because of an overhead projector and a lower seating position more of the projected light will beam downward and less to the ceiling. Any that does reach the ceiling will be directed back at an angle much steeper than the projected light and will end up on the floor in front of the screen not back by the viewers. ALR screens work by reducing the viewing cone and the brightest image will be in the center of the seating area. Most of the time at home that’s fine as you wont have a wide theater with people sitting far to the sides.

A simple gray screen just attenuates light projected and ambient equally. It will require a brighter projector to overcome the attenuation. It will produce a wide uniform image from all seating locations wont have any artifacts that sometimes show with high gain screens.

Then there is what most ALR screens do now and that is blending a gray screen with a angular gain screen trying for some of the best of both worlds. Some of them almost look black others a more mild gray look.

Bud
post #3 of 5 Old 04-19-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 3522 Post(s)
Liked: 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malodium View Post
… Epson 5050UB Projector will be ceiling mounted about 12' away from a 120" screen. ...
Just be very careful about measuring that mounting location. According to the projector calculator the closest distance from the screen a 5050UB can throw a 120" image is 11' 9". Throw distance is measured from the screen to the front of the lens, not to the projector's mounting point. So your mounting point will need to be a few inches more than 12' for the front of the lens to be no closer than 11' 9" from the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-19-2019, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Just be very careful about measuring that mounting location. According to the projector calculator the closest distance from the screen a 5050UB can throw a 120" image is 11' 9". Throw distance is measured from the screen to the front of the lens, not to the projector's mounting point. So your mounting point will need to be a few inches more than 12' for the front of the lens to be no closer than 11' 9" from the screen.

Thank you for pointing that out, I probably would not have thought about that. I am planning on mounting the projector first then just seeing what size image I can get and getting a screen to match. It sounds like I should probably move it back beyond 12' as much as I can though. Maybe 13' will be better.

I have about a foot either way since I put some 2x4s in between the joists before the drywall was put up.

And @bud16415 thanks for the info about those screens. It looks like it might be best to try Carl's ALR screen first. I dont like that I will have to make some compromises (being spoiled by my LG OLED), but I guess that's what I get for not being rich and having a dedicated theater room! In any case, I imagine Carl's would sell me a sample set with a bunch of different types of material so I can try different stuff? Probably not the same as seeing it on a full sized screen though.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-19-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 3522 Post(s)
Liked: 2700
Carl's does sell sample packs. You're correct that small samples do not give the full picture. But for a few bucks you'll at least get a hint of the difference in general performance.

carlofet.com/sample-pack-bundle.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page