Advice on color for projector wall - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-19-2019, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Advice on color for projector wall

I am doing a basement room and have just finished the sheetrock and was going to prime it and paint. The room is 16 by 15, it is small. The projector that I have now is an Epson IN3138HDa for the time being until I get something better later. It will hang on the ceiling 15 1/2 feet away from the wall and roughly project 83'' x 11' probably a little smaller. Going to watch movies, sports and video games. It has one window, that is under the deck and I plan to have blackout curtains on it.
My question is what color should I paint the wall, should it be white or a universal grey, or some other mix for the best picture? Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-19-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 397
You may want to ask this in the DIY screen form where they specialize in painted screen walls. There is a link on the main page just under the Screens link you clicked to get here.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #3 of 3 Old 04-19-2019, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked: 465
It really comes down to what color you paint the rest of the room. Ideally you want very dark flat paint on all surfaces including the ceiling with a white screen. This is the least costly scenario and yields the best possible picture. If this is not possible screen color/type becomes a very complex calculation between projector specs and reflective surfaces/ambient light/viewing distances and angles in the room.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page